Jump to content

Mets Steal Kumar Rocker (Vanderbilt) at #10! SWEET! Please leave for 6 hours!


Recommended Posts

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

Which is exactly what we need with Thor, Stroman approaching FA

They were even speculating on MLB Network that we might see him sometime this season, but I hope not.  No need to rush him and throw him into the fire of a pennant race.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lith said:

They were even speculating on MLB Network that we might see him sometime this season, but I hope not.  No need to rush him and throw him into the fire of a pennant race.

When rosters expand you wouldn’t be tempted to have an extra arm when a punch out is needed? 3 batters would be it. 
Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

When rosters expand you wouldn’t be tempted to have an extra arm when a punch out is needed? 3 batters would be it. 
Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

I hope he looks good enouogh that it is a possibilitym but I would rather they let him learn the pro game in the minors rather than the heat of the pennant race.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Which is exactly what we need with Thor, Stroman approaching FA

I’d cut Stroman loose. His liability is his inability to get a KO when you need it. He’s just not a strikeout pitcher. Makes a nice #4 or #5 but he’d be very pricey and no one is paying top dollar and have him as a 4 or 5 in the rotation. He’s gone next year and will be a #3 on some other pitching desperate hungry team.
1 DeGrom, 2 Thor, 3 Cookie, 4 Walker and #5 ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lith said:

Love this pick.  MLB draft is weird as low budget teams will take a lesser prospect who will sign for less money.  He was likely a top 5 player in the draft who fell to 10.  Mets are willing to pay him and grabbed him.    21 years old.  95+ fastball, mlb quality slider and a good curve ball.  Could be in the bigs as soon as next season.

I was hoping he would fall to the Mets.

All those pitches weren’t even close to being strikes. What were they swinging at?!?!?!?

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

All those pitches weren’t even close to being strikes. What were they swinging at?!?!?!?

They’re sitting on the 98 mph fastball when they start their swing and then the pitch drops off the table. 
See deGrom!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

They’re sitting on the 98 mph fastball when they start their swing and then the pitch drops off the table. 
See deGrom!

I get it. Haven’t seen this kid pitch. Can he throw 98? That’s a heck of a combo to master so young - 98 and that killer slider. Big guy too so he’s definitely intimidating. And don’t we have another pitcher we drafted who’s killin it in the minors? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Yankees: Trey Sweeney. Lefty hitting. SS Eastern Illinois

What has happened to Gleyber Torres? I hear you have an absolute stud prospect in the minors at SS

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

All those pitches weren’t even close to being strikes. What were they swinging at?!?!?!?

Hard to know when its just highlights and you don't see how he worked the at bat.  From what I have read and what little I have seen of him, slider is his out pitch.  Fastball lacks movement and can be hit, so he has to get guys to chase.  If he can learn to get some movement on the fastball with a quality slider and a good curve, he will be tough.  As with any guy in the draft, its all speculation at this point.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lith said:

If he can learn to get some movement on the fastball with a quality slider and a good curve, he will be tough.

A little instruction from deGrom and he’ll have that movement. 
I don’t  care if he throws 105 mph… if there’s no movement, the better hitters will catch up with it. 
 

Locating the fastball is key. If you can’t hit your spot, hitters will sit on the slider

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

When rosters expand you wouldn’t be tempted to have an extra arm when a punch out is needed? 3 batters would be it. 
Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

In order to do that, you have to put him on your 40 man, which I would not want to bump someone off that valuable list (I assume 40-man rosters are still in effect). 

You also do not want to expose the kid to what may be a negative first experience as a pro. His arm actually needs a break, particularly coming off a very short year last year. You baby that arm this summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bungaman said:

Having been a catcher, oh, 35+ years ago, I could only laugh and empathize with this guy having to dig out those low balls. I'll bet his cup has lots of dents. And he's no longer a baritone.

When I first read this I thought it said you've been a catcher for 35 years. So I pictured you walking around with your butt 6 inches off the ground.  I was like, nah this cant be right. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2021 at 10:12 PM, Bungaman said:

Having been a catcher, oh, 35+ years ago, I could only laugh and empathize with this guy having to dig out those low balls. I'll bet his cup has lots of dents. And he's no longer a baritone.

That catcher must have set a college record for tag outs by a catcher.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...