Prospects 2022 and random college ball talk.

16 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Linderbaum just makes too much sense to me as to your point, it pretty much can upgrade two positions in one move with an all-pro caliber talent. Although the line play is better, I still want to take a developmental tackle at some point since there is a lot of talent there in my opinion this draft. Assuming we're not in the running for Thibs, Karlaftis + Linderbaum is pretty much my ideal round one at this point if it's possible.

Linebacker seems thin depth-wise so that'll be an interesting test as to whether they value it enough to take a high pick with it or not.

As of today, unless I have a shot at Thibs.  My pick is Linderbaum, now that could change as time goes on but I think he's just too solid a player at a position we could use an upgrade at, plus it makes RG better in the process like we've said. 

The problem is where are we picking, because if we're at 2 or 3 then things become interesting, I dont love the top of this draft really, aside from the three guys we talked about and hamilton (i have ptsd from safeties) I dont love anyone top 10. 

So are we comfortable overdrafting guys we know will be good in slots where positional value doesnt make sense (Linderbaum/Hamilton). or do we reach for a guy like Karlaftis.  Its really going to be a fascinating first round.  

Arguments can be made for trading down at either spot if we can to get into a better slot for those picks.  I think as we can assume we're only getting one of these guys if we have only 1 top 10 pick. With the lack of premiere talent I have a hard time believing any of Linderbaum Karlaftis or Hamilton make it out of the top 10 where we have a shot at 2 of them. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

only surprise to me is that they got it locked up now instead of towards the offseason, but guys as good as him seldom hit the market. excellent player. 

With a sizable bump in the cap coming for 2022, I’d suspect we will see a lot less quality players hitting free agency in 2022.  

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

As of today, unless I have a shot at Thibs.  My pick is Linderbaum, now that could change as time goes on but I think he's just too solid a player at a position we could use an upgrade at, plus it makes RG better in the process like we've said. 

The problem is where are we picking, because if we're at 2 or 3 then things become interesting, I dont love the top of this draft really, aside from the three guys we talked about and hamilton (i have ptsd from safeties) I dont love anyone top 10. 

So are we comfortable overdrafting guys we know will be good in slots where positional value doesnt make sense (Linderbaum/Hamilton). or do we reach for a guy like Karlaftis.  Its really going to be a fascinating first round.  

Arguments can be made for trading down at either spot if we can to get into a better slot for those picks.  I think as we can assume we're only getting one of these guys if we have only 1 top 10 pick. With the lack of premiere talent I have a hard time believing any of Linderbaum Karlaftis or Hamilton make it out of the top 10 where we have a shot at 2 of them. 

Agreed.   You can only draft what’s available, so while it’s nice to talk about historical positional value, you still need to draft the best players at that point in the draft.   This kinda feels like the 2013 draft all over again.   Lots of similarities.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   You can only draft what’s available, so while it’s nice to talk about historical positional value, you still need to draft the best players at that point in the draft.   This kinda feels like the 2013 draft all over again.   Lots of similarities.  

thats a great call, a lot of similarities in the fact that there was not a lot of TOP teir talent in that draft (although two all pro tackles came out in the first 5 picks). most of the best production from that draft came from 18 down.  If the jets get in a spot where they miss on Karlaftis and Linderbaum i think trading down with both picks to the 20s if possible is a good strategy. 

I see a lot of quality players but there are few big time hits in the top 10. which is why your point of taking the best player you can take in the spot is the way to go. If we have a top 5 pick and linderbaum is there, screw it, take him. who cares who questions it if he ends up a 10+ year starter. 

39 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

also pray we do better with these 2 first rounders than we did with the ones in 2013.

Jay Z Reaction GIF by Complex

I came to this thread this morning to ask something my brother and I talked about last night.  I see it may already have been discussed though.  He’s a Bears fan, me Jets.  Bears don’t have their 1st, so kind of moot for him.

Anyway, how early would any of you feel comfortable taking Linderbaum?

The reason it came up is I am fearful that our own pick will be too high to take him(the pressure and scrutiny would be immense on JD if he took a C in top 5) but with Wilson coming back and the Seahawks winning one of the games without him, I don’t think their pick will be high enough to get him with the 2nd of our picks.

Perfect world for me would be trade back from our 1st pick and still be able to get him and add some more picks, but that’s easier said than done.

• Upvote 1

I think anything like that needs to be context dependent. If you want to draft Linderbaum you’re likely going to need to make him the highest drafted center ever. Put him in Quenton Nelson context and it’s probably still “comfortable” around six or so. 

This is a weird draft though. No QB’s projected super high, one elite edge rusher…there aren’t a lot of guys I’d be comfortable taking over Linderbaum which I think is part of his appeal.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

I think anything like that needs to be context dependent. If you want to draft Linderbaum you’re likely going to need to make him the highest drafted center ever. Put him in Quenton Nelson context and it’s probably still “comfortable” around six or so. 

This is a weird draft though. No QB’s projected super high, one elite edge rusher…there aren’t a lot of guys I’d be comfortable taking over Linderbaum which I think is part of his appeal.

Also all of this is a bit premature. If Aiden Hutchinson come out and runs a sub 4.7 40 and 7 second 3-cone he’ll be hard to pass on. On the other hand if Linderbaum runs a sub 4.9 40 at 305 lbs then he’s put himself in universal Top 10 consideration. 

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Also all of this is a bit premature. If Aiden Hutchinson come out and runs a sub 4.7 40 and 7 second 3-cone he’ll be hard to pass on. On the other hand if Linderbaum runs a sub 4.9 40 at 305 lbs then he’s put himself in universal Top 10 consideration. 

I agree, don’t think there are many guys in Hutchinson’s category though. Ojabo on the same defense is putting up numbers and should test pretty freaky too.

14 hours ago, kdels62 said:

David Bell is better than both Ohio State WRs… fight me

Bell is a more complete receiver than those two.  He also plays with a little more toughness and isn’t as much of a “finesse” guy like Olave and Wilson are IMO.   I’m not sure Wilson survives on the outside in the NFL.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Pencil him in to one of those teams that does a great job drafting receivers in the second round. Steelers? Packers finally pull the trigger?

There are a lot of good situations around the league for Bell to come in, get snaps, produce, and develop. Could picture him landing in Buffalo and terrorizing the Jets for a decade while we all complain about it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Bell is a more complete receiver than those two.  He also plays with a little more toughness and isn’t as much of a “finesse” guy like Olave and Wilson are IMO.   I’m not sure Wilson survives on the outside in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, derp said:

Pencil him in to one of those teams that does a great job drafting receivers in the second round. Steelers? Packers finally pull the trigger?

There are a lot of good situations around the league for Bell to come in, get snaps, produce, and develop. Could picture him landing in Buffalo and terrorizing the Jets for a decade while we all complain about it.

There’s a completeness to David Bell’s game that I salivate over. Right now for the Jets my WR wish list is 

1) Drake London

2) David Bell

3) Traylon Burks 

4) Jahan Dotson 

17 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I need to see more from everyone.  I think Bell is better all around right now, but wilson and olave are better route runners from what ive seen.  Wilson had some sickkkk reps the other day.  I think wilson is a slot guy mostly though at the next level, Olave may have some versatility, i have to go more in depth on all 3 to make better judgments. 

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I need to see more from everyone.  I think Bell is better all around right now, but wilson and olave are better route runners from what ive seen.  Wilson had some sickkkk reps the other day.  I think wilson is a slot guy mostly though at the next level, Olave may have some versatility, i have to go more in depth on all 3 to make better judgments. 

Olave is silky smooth and Wilson is sudden. They’re not bad players at all and Wilson has immense foot speed. But Bell’s YAC ability and his size/ speed combo combined with very clever body control gives me a feeling about him. Add in that Bell will likely be had late 1 early 2 and his value is just far above the OSU guys. 

Ironically this “weak” WR draft has 6 guys that could go in the first round. London, Burks, Wilson, Olave, Dotson, Bell.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Olave is silky smooth and Wilson is sudden. They’re not bad players at all and Wilson has immense foot speed. But Bell’s YAC ability and his size/ speed combo combined with very clever body control gives me a feeling about him. Add in that Bell will likely be had late 1 early 2 and his value is just far above the OSU guys. 

Ironically this “weak” WR draft has 6 guys that could go in the first round. London, Burks, Wilson, Olave, Dotson, Bell.

I agree on those points, Bell certainly provides a little bit of everything, and as of right now, good value.  I have a feeling as the process goes on that value will diminish as he'll be pushed up boards unless his testing numbers lack. 

Olave and Wilson offer different things to Bell, it really depends on what youre looking for in your offense.  This draft is going to have a little something for everyone at the WR position I feel like. 

To your point about it being an ironically "weak" class (Which i agree, i dont think there will be a weak class again).  I think draft evaluators have to start really rethinking what they imagine as weak when it comes to WR classes.  With the amount of WR trainers out there today, and how the art of route running has taken a giant leap in the last few years, I dont think youre going to see a stereotypically "weak" class ever again. 

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I agree on those points, Bell certainly provides a little bit of everything, and as of right now, good value.  I have a feeling as the process goes on that value will diminish as he'll be pushed up boards unless his testing numbers lack. 

Olave and Wilson offer different things to Bell, it really depends on what youre looking for in your offense.  This draft is going to have a little something for everyone at the WR position I feel like. 

To your point about it being an ironically "weak" class (Which i agree, i dont think there will be a weak class again).  I think draft evaluators have to start really rethinking what they imagine as weak when it comes to WR classes.  With the amount of WR trainers out there today, and how the art of route running has taken a giant leap in the last few years, I dont think youre going to see a stereotypically "weak" class ever again. 

Totally agree about the lack of “weak” WR classes. I also think at least some talented athletes who might have played RB back in the day are ending up at WR now.

Bell looks to me like he might run mid 4.5’s which is why I continue to think he’ll be more of a second round guy or maybe late first.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, derp said:

Totally agree about the lack of “weak” WR classes. I also think at least some talented athletes who might have played RB back in the day are ending up at WR now.

Bell looks to me like he might run mid 4.5’s which is why I continue to think he’ll be more of a second round guy or maybe late first.

Yea the few purdue games ive gotten a chance to watch this year his speed hasnt popped so that seems like a realistic number. If he's a second day guy, i feel really good about that pick. 

I have the below as bonafide first round edge players as of right now. 

1. Kayvon Thibodeaux

2. Aidan Hutchinson

3. George Karlaftis

4. DeMarvin Leal 

5. Drake Jackson

6. Jermaine Johnson

7. Arnold Ebiketie 

Theres also Kinglsey Enagbare, Cameron Thomas, Adam Anderson, Nik Bonitto, Boye Mafe, Nolan Smith, Sam Williams and Zion Tupuola-Fetui.

Thats a lot of dudes for the first 2 rounds of a draft. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He’s not draft eligible until 2024 but, Treveyon Henderson is the absolute perfect RB for the Jets system.  He’s already 215 pounds as a true freshman and has sub 11 second 100 meter speed.   

Give me Brock Bowers and Treveyon Henderson in 2024!!

I will take James Cook next year.  2nd/3rd round.  Pair him with Carter and we are set for a couple seasons.

13 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I have the below as bonafide first round edge players as of right now. 

1. Kayvon Thibodeaux

2. Aidan Hutchinson

3. George Karlaftis

4. DeMarvin Leal 

5. Drake Jackson

6. Jermaine Johnson

7. Arnold Ebiketie 

Theres also Kinglsey Enagbare, Cameron Thomas, Adam Anderson, Nik Bonitto, Boye Mafe, Nolan Smith, Sam Williams and Zion Tupuola-Fetui.

Thats a lot of dudes for the first 2 rounds of a draft. 

MIght have to scratch Adam Anderson from the list.  Arrested on rape allegations in Athens this week.  Turned himself in; claims his innocence.  Certainly bears watching over the next few months.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So… Linderbaum and Hamilton in round 1 

Nakobe Dean with Jet 2 

Jermaine Johnson with Carolina 2

I'd prefer to concentrate on the defense through free agency.  Spend like a drunken sailor on linebackers and a safety. 

Continue drafting offense after grabbing Thibodeaux or Hutchinson with our highest first.  Looks like we might be drafting high enough for Kayvon. 

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

So… Linderbaum and Hamilton in round 1 

Nakobe Dean with Jet 2 

Jermaine Johnson with Carolina 2

I’d sign up for this haul, although I think the lack of production from our TEs is also just killing us in this offense. 

But the Jets need everything.... again. They need high end players badly. JD has filled the team with depth, but the starters are the problem. 

13 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

People’s heads would explode if the Jets took a safety and a center with two picks inside the top 15.   

But that doesnt mean its not the right move.

Im not as hard on McGovern as most of the board, but he was again completely lost on a stunt today that resulted in a sack.   I think Linderbaum is just too good to pass on for this offense, however it wont be with our own pick.  

Hamilton happens to be talented enough, if he isnt hurt, to be a top 5 player in a draft like this where we dont need a QB (nor is there one) and we can likely find an edge player at the top of the second round and then get a TE with carolina's pick.

13 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I’d sign up for this haul, although I think the lack of production from our TEs is also just killing us in this offense. 

But the Jets need everything.... again. They need high end players badly. JD has filled the team with depth, but the starters are the problem. 

I don’t disagree necessarily but I think the team is deep enough where it can compete without major overhauls. So much also depends on Wilson’s development which is why I’m glad he’ll be back soon. 

The TE talent in this draft is interesting and mid round fliers might be enough to fix the position but re-signing Kroft and signing Mo Alie-Cox along with a mid round prospect (Trey McBride) fixes the spot without the use of premium assets.

My biggest head scratch is at Edge. Deep position in this draft but with 1 lone prospect above the others. The team also has a pretty good DPR in Huff, a starter in JFM and a potential star in Lawson. Is a top 10 investment (for a player not named Thibodeaux) worth it?

Jarrad Davis has been a bust signing, Crowder, Berrios, and Cole are at the end of their contracts, Joyner and Maye out of contract, Fatukasi out of contract. JD needs to shore up the base he built and use our top 4 picks for instant contributors. 

• Upvote 1