Prospects 2022 and random college ball talk.

19 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I know a DT in the first round isn't going to excite anyone on here but I have to say it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we took Jordan Davis in the event we can trade into the mid-late first round. Dude is a massive run stopping force on the interior. They have him listed at 340 but I think he's bigger than that.

Meh Jordan Davis was part time in college and provided 0 pass rush. Honestly I think Devontae Wyatt is a better choice for what this team needs.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I know a DT in the first round isn't going to excite anyone on here but I have to say it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we took Jordan Davis in the event we can trade into the mid-late first round. Dude is a massive run stopping force on the interior. They have him listed at 340 but I think he's bigger than that.

Think you can find run stopping DT’s later, the trait that gets guys picked early is pass rush ability.

Also his snap count is pretty low and he actually stepped up this year as a senior when given less snaps. I know the Jets rotate heavily but think a guy who’s going to need to miss a lot of snaps to stay fresh and those snaps are on rushing downs not passing downs would be - for lack of a better term - a luxury pick. Make sure you’ve got guys who can impact the quarterback first.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Meh Jordan Davis was part time in college and provided 0 pass rush. Honestly I think Devontae Wyatt is a better choice for what this team needs.

Yeah you beat me to it and were less wordy. Wyatt also should be a better value.

Sterling Weatherford LB/ S (Miami of Ohio) he is a dude to watch at the Senior Bowl. He played that slot/ rover/ safety role in college and he was good at all of it. I could only find highlights or Twitter video of him but I saw some glimpses.  Not overly strong but a form tackler, impressive range and size at 6-3, 220. Looks like a dude that can click and close in tight angles. 

• Upvote 1

So I watched this game film on Hamilton. This kid is an ELITE athlete, the way he glides around the field he looks like he could play in the NBA. He's got good instincts as well. That being said, at least on this tape, I just don't see a lot of examples of him impacting the game. Granted, that is always going to be tough to see when a guy is playing deep and the opponent won't test him, but I wanted to see more of an impact for a guy in consideration at number 4. 

Are there other games I should watch?

For those interested in James Cook as an RB, and I think he woudl be a great fit in our offense, he made it official today.  He is declaring for the draft.  Will also be playing in the Sr Bowl, so our staff will have a chance to see him up close.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Lith said:

For those interested in James Cook as an RB, and I think he woudl be a great fit in our offense, he made it official today.  He is declaring for the draft.  Will also be playing in the Sr Bowl, so our staff will have a chance to see him up close.

Really like Cook but I don’t want to draft a RB until rounds 4-5. I think cool goes before that.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Really like Cook but I don’t want to draft a RB until rounds 4-5. I think cool goes before that.

Last year, Michael Carter was the 5th RB taken, at the top of R4.  At this point, have to assume Walker, Spiller and Hall will be top 3.  Cook is in the next group of guys.  I don't think it is a certainty he goes day 2.  You just never know when that run on RBs will begin.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

an all time cringe interview here. Stay away x a million

My favorite line from the interview.  "I already hate the stigmatism of football players being dumb jocks."  And then he goes on to trash Alabama education.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

My favorite line from the interview.  "I already hate the stigmatism of football players being dumb jocks."  And then he goes on to trash Alabama education.  

This is why being able to sit and talk to these players is such a valuable tool for evaluations.   It’s something that us amateurs don’t have access to and would totally change some of the perceptions we have of these players.  

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

an all time cringe interview here. Stay away x a million

I can't see any way Houston takes him. Feel like there's a decent chance he lands with the Jets, honestly - especially if Jacksonville doesn't take one of the pass rushers - and then we have a lot of conversations on this board about him.

6 minutes ago, derp said:

I can't see any way Houston takes him. Feel like there's a decent chance he lands with the Jets, honestly - especially if Jacksonville doesn't take one of the pass rushers - and then we have a lot of conversations on this board about him.

With Saleh’s recent comments about getting guys who breathe football idk. His production isn’t even all that good either. 

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

With Saleh’s recent comments about getting guys who breathe football idk. His production isn’t even all that good either. 

I think it depends on what comes out of Oregon about his work ethic. I'm not sure valuing education and thinking about what you're going to do after your career ends or if you get injured is problematic if you get after it on the field - and to be honest I have no idea where Thibodeaux falls there. Saleh loves Berrios who was the business school valedictorian at Miami. 

Given he feels he's got those other options anyway and is choosing to play football it comes down to why football instead of working at Nike and can the Jets work with that I guess.

The Jets are going to be between a rock and a hard place at 4 whether or not Thibodeaux is there.

5 minutes ago, derp said:

I think it depends on what comes out of Oregon about his work ethic. I'm not sure valuing education and thinking about what you're going to do after your career ends or if you get injured is problematic if you get after it on the field - and to be honest I have no idea where Thibodeaux falls there. Saleh loves Berrios who was the business school valedictorian at Miami. 

Given he feels he's got those other options anyway and is choosing to play football it comes down to why football instead of working at Nike and can the Jets work with that I guess.

The Jets are going to be between a rock and a hard place at 4 whether or not Thibodeaux is there.

Honestly he just made an ass out of himself in that interview and he sounded like someone who thinks he’s already arrived. These guys rarely work out. Add on suspect production, just a high risk player the Jets can’t afford to miss on. To be a brand the production has to come first. 

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Honestly he just made an ass out of himself in that interview and he sounded like someone who thinks he’s already arrived. These guys rarely work out. Add on suspect production, just a high risk player the Jets can’t afford to miss on. To be a brand the production has to come first. 

I got the vibe he just thinks his way of doing things is obvious and he thinks he's smarter than a lot of people - the latter of which made him come across like an ass. To be fair to him, while not for everyone, his approach was pretty well thought out. I didn't think of him as viewing himself as having already arrived.

The production thing - that gets back the end of my post. The Jets aren't exactly looking at a ton of mega producers who they can take at pick 4.

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

This is why being able to sit and talk to these players is such a valuable tool for evaluations.   It’s something that us amateurs don’t have access to and would totally change some of the perceptions we have of these players.  

What are your feelings on Justyn Ross? Seems to have more than enough of the measurables. Will he test well at the combine? Is he someone who should be on our radar?

On 12/26/2021 at 12:41 PM, BurntDice said:

A guy I’ve been eying is James Cook. Good at receiving and hits the holes well. I like the other Georgia rb  Zamir white also, he doesn’t seem as good at receiving, but might be a better pure runner. Jerome Ford from Cincinnati is interesting too. Great size at 5’11 220 and should compliment Carter well. 

I’d much rather go with a WR in the second. Guys like Burks, Dotson, London would be great fits if they fall to the early 2nd pick.  Alec Pierce could be a steal in the 3rd or 4th also. He can be a solid #2

I was just looking at RB's and started watching Jerome Ford - I looooove this guy. The way he reads blocks and makes himself small is exceptional, he has homerun speed, a quick hop step cut, and he has a way of just kind of pinballing off potential tacklers. If we have a chance at him in the 3rd or 4th I hope we snatch him up.

I worry his 40 time could really blow him up (make him a higher pick) though. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I was just looking at RB's and started watching Jerome Ford - I looooove this guy. The way he reads blocks and makes himself small is exceptional, he has homerun speed, a quick hop step cut, and he has a way of just kind of pinballing off potential tacklers. If we have a chance at him in the 3rd or 4th I hope we snatch him up.

I worry his 40 time could really blow him up (make him a higher pick) though. 

I liked him a ton too. He’s crazy fast and makes his cuts very smooth. Hopefully we can snag him in the mid rounds if he’s still there 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Am I crazy for really being put off by thibs after that Alabama vs Georgia show with Klatt? Dude seems really self absorbed and not really “all in” with football. Idk I watched about 40 minutes of it and just came away not liking him as a person 

I don't care whether or not I like a guy as a person -- I just want the team to win.  Some guys say all the right things in interviews, but suck on the field.  If Thibs could help us win, then I don't care if he is a self-absorbed douche.

That said, I have never been all that impressed by Thibs when watching Oregon games.  I haven't studies his tape, but when I watched Oregon play, I had to look for him - he never jumps off the page as the "guy."  Guys like Kyle Hamilton, Devin Lloyd, Hutchinson/Ojabo, Jordan Davis/Nakobe Dean you can't miss their talent when you watch their teams play.  Maybe I just watched the wrong Oregon games this season, but I don't see that with Thobodeaux.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I don't care whether or not I like a guy as a person -- I just want the team to win.  Some guys say all the right things in interviews, but suck on the field.  If Thibs could help us win, then I don't care if he is a self-absorbed douche.

That said, I have never been all that impressed by Thibs when watching Oregon games.  I haven't studies his tape, but when I watched Oregon play, I had to look for him - he never jumps off the page as the "guy."  Guys like Kyle Hamilton, Devin Lloyd, Hutchinson/Ojabo, Jordan Davis/Nakobe Dean you can't miss their talent when you watch their teams play.  Maybe I just watched the wrong Oregon games this season, but I don't see that with Thobodeaux.

I feel like personality definitely helps when you have such a young team. If this team had a bunch of vets on it I wouldn’t care as much because they would just ignore him or put him in place. Him being an egomaniac just doesn’t jive with a team filled with guys trying to learn and grow together. 

I agree that if his talent is that good then it doesn’t really matter in the end

• Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 1:22 PM, section314 said:

What are your feelings on Justyn Ross? Seems to have more than enough of the measurables. Will he test well at the combine? Is he someone who should be on our radar?

I was wondering the same thing and I don't think anybody really answered you.  @section314 @Paradis @kdels62 @win4ever @JiFapono @derp @Lith @sec101row23 If I didn't list you, don't be insulted, just answer  That is the most @ I have ever typed!

Ross seems interesting.  If you can get him in the 4th I don't see how you don't pull the trigger.  I get he had the health concerns, but is he going to be a slug?