Prospects 2022 and random college ball talk.

27 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I was wondering the same thing and I don't think anybody really answered you.  @section314 @Paradis @kdels62 @win4ever @JiFapono @derp @Lith @sec101row23 If I didn't list you, don't be insulted, just answer  That is the most @ I have ever typed!

Ross seems interesting.  If you can get him in the 4th I don't see how you don't pull the trigger.  I get he had the health concerns, but is he going to be a slug?  

Neck injuries scare the crap out of me.  Look at what happened to us with Quincy Enunwa.  I can't pretend to understand the nature of his neck injury, or what the prognosis is, but I don't see how you can take him before day 3.  Given our luck with injured players in recent years, as well as the number of holes on our roster, I can't see the Jets as a team to take a flyer on a guy like Ross. 

A team with an established QB, and some depth at the WR position, maybe can take a shot at a high risk/reward guy.  I am probably staying away if I am the Jets.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I was wondering the same thing and I don't think anybody really answered you.  @section314 @Paradis @kdels62 @win4ever @JiFapono @derp @Lith @sec101row23 If I didn't list you, don't be insulted, just answer  That is the most @ I have ever typed!

Ross seems interesting.  If you can get him in the 4th I don't see how you don't pull the trigger.  I get he had the health concerns, but is he going to be a slug?  

I haven't gotten All-22 yet, but he's one of those guys that is interesting in terms of physical capabilities (I think he'll measure high, run fast) and get hyped.  

I didn't like the tape I've seen so far though:

Pro: 

He can high point the ball, and knows how to use his size as an advantage.  

Physical profile is ideal, will have size/speed combination

Con:

The only real route that I saw him get open on a consistent basis was the double move, fake slant and go type moves.  

He has a reset step with his back foot at the snap, we talked about the same issue last year with Bateman.  He loses time at the snap because he resets his back foot.  

He doesn't just give away his intended route, he practically draws a map for the cornerback.  Very limited in terms of route technique, will turn his head towards where he's going on a slant or out, and slows down out of cuts.  

He doesn't read the defender much at all.  There's an interception against Georgia this year (I think it ended up a pick 6) where the slot safety (or CB?) is playing well off the line.  The defender moves prior to the snap, but Ross runs a very lazy slant expecting the defender to be far away.  The defender undercuts it and takes it to the house.  He didn't threaten the defender at all with route set up.  He could have just exploded off the line and stopped the defender in their tracks, but he casually ran to a spot.  It looked like something Mims would do this year. 

He seems to have a lot of rapid foot fire moves at the stem of a route, but that doesn't work nearly as well on the NFL level, unless you mix it up.  All he's doing is slowing down, and NFL CBs would just wait until he makes a move one way or another, and react.  

I don't see the separation quite as much on in-rhythm passes.  Saw manufactured touches, and extended plays where he got open, but that primary read/beats coverage in stride with QB seemed to be missing.  

Overall:

I love his physical profile, and I thought he'd be a monster after his freshman debut.  I'm not impressed with him, but I would take a shot in the 4th or so just because he has so much potential.  So far, I like Alex Pierce or Christian Watson more than Ross, which is something I thought I would never say.    

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Not much to say that hasnt been said.  My simple take is; has the traits, not sure if he has the game and the injury history scares the sh*t out of me, he hasnt been the same.  I'd probably avoid selecting Justyn Ross.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

There's going to be a handful of the 6'3" ish guys that have interest in the mid rounds. After the 2nd, the prospect tier for WR drops a bit. So Ross, Ezukanma, Alec Pierce, George Pickens (if he doesn't go in the 2nd) are guys to look at.

^ One of the guys I forgot to at. 

I am biased because I have not really watched him since before the injury, but he seemed like a guy that could be great.  Plenty of negatives with the prospect, but if you can get him in the 4th or later the pull becomes stronger.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

There's going to be a handful of the 6'3" ish guys that have interest in the mid rounds. After the 2nd, the prospect tier for WR drops a bit. So Ross, Ezukanma, Alec Pierce, George Pickens (if he doesn't go in the 2nd) are guys to look at.

For sure, throw the small school guys in there too, Jalen Tolbert and Christian Watson who is turning heads at the Senior Bowl 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

You know who was pretty good in the senior bowl but no one talks about? Andrew Stueber out of Michigan. He played well but somehow a mock draft I saw recently adjusted and put Faalele in the first round. Ridiculous

This is the huge advantage of having the staff get a week with all these guys. It's your own private mini camp.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

This is the huge advantage of having the staff get a week with all these guys. It's your own private mini camp.

Agreed.  We were able to get an up close look at some of these guys practice habits, study habits, how they interact with teammates.  Things you normally would not be able to get out of the pre-draft process.  JD had better take advantage of this opportunity this year and find a couple of gems in teh mid and late rounds.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 2/6/2022 at 10:25 AM, kdels62 said:

I’m looking forward to diving into Perion Winfrey and Luketa from Penn State. I thought both were really impressive and good scheme fits for our defense at the senior bowl.

Both guys I think are very real targets for this team, and if we pass on edge in the top of round 1 i fully expect them to jump all over winfrey in rd 2, just makes so much sense for the defense with how he can penetrate. 

Luketa i didnt think much of until the game where I really felt he asserted himself as a realistic option in the mid to late rounds for this team.  Good developmental LB. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

You know who was pretty good in the senior bowl but no one talks about? Andrew Stueber out of Michigan. He played well but somehow a mock draft I saw recently adjusted and put Faalele in the first round. Ridiculous

not only played well but had a good week too.  Didnt get enough press unfortunately for him, but he had some really nice 1v1 reps. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Both guys I think are very real targets for this team, and if we pass on edge in the top of round 1 i fully expect them to jump all over winfrey in rd 2, just makes so much sense for the defense with how he can penetrate. 

Luketa i didnt think much of until the game where I really felt he asserted himself as a realistic option in the mid to late rounds for this team.  Good developmental LB. 

I think Luketa transitions to a full time edge guy. 6-3 260 is a big boy to play as a LB. He’s athletic and long enough for the role. 4th round developmental edge with all the movement skill you could want. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Can someone explain to me why John Metchie III is flying under radars?

(6’0, 195) 96 rec., 1,142 yards, 8 TDs. 
Will run a sub 4.3

And can be found in the second round in 10 out of 10 mocks. 

I think he's very intriguing for the Jets if he's there with the second round pick. Metchie has the traits the Jets seem to admire. Imagine trotting him out next year with Elijah Moore and Garret Wilson? I don't know how good the team will be, but they will at least be fun to watch. 

Going to be interesting to see how the analytics community falls on Burks. Apparently he’s got the best adjusted production profile in the draft (mix of market share and age I presume) which makes sense. I assume the people who break down route distribution and where production comes from will be less bullish. And I’d guess he blows up the combine.

Obviously very different players but I wonder if Waddle producing on such heavy underneath usage last year impacts how he’s viewed. Certainly needs development but he’s going to have all the physical tools you could ask for and if he can do a get the ball in his hands type role early and produce while he expands his route tree that would be a good thing.

Don't think the Jets end up taking him but he’s one of the more fun prospects in this class.

• Upvote 1

On 2/15/2022 at 9:49 AM, peebag said:

sure hope so cuz we could use a lot.

We field TWO linebackers at a time, what are you talking about? 

I could see us adding ONE linebacker in free agency (that ATL guy gets tossed around a lot, Oluokun?), and then one draftee in the mid-rounds. 

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

We field TWO linebackers at a time, what are you talking about? 

I could see us adding ONE linebacker in free agency (that ATL guy gets tossed around a lot, Oluokun?), and then one draftee in the mid-rounds. 

Two is probably on the high end too, three would require giving up on a draft pick who they must have known would be a project plus Cashman, or carrying seven guys.

So let’s talk about Perrion Winfrey:

Defensive Tackle, Oklahoma, 6”3.6’ 303 Lbs. Senior Bowl standout with ideal size for this scheme. Let’s just say there’s a reason why Winfrey excelled on the Jets Senior Bowl team. Winfrey has immense get off and is seeking to jump the snap every play. This leads to offsides penalties as well straight disruption. Better pass rusher than run stopper which fits perfectly with this scheme. His issues come from his lack of interest in controlling the gap and his immense interest in hitting swim moves and his rip move. He’ll come in and be our most explosive player, even more so than Quinnen. 

18 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m interested in digging into this kid a bit more.  He looked smooth in Mobile.  Also Bo Melton from Rutgers is intriguing.  

Downside with Jones is he will be 25 before he plays his first NFL game.  4 years at USC then 2 years at Tennessee, taking advantage of the extra Covid year.  Good ST player, so he can give you something immediately, but how high are you willing to take a 25-yar old rookie.

42 minutes ago, Lith said:

Downside with Jones is he will be 25 before he plays his first NFL game.  4 years at USC then 2 years at Tennessee, taking advantage of the extra Covid year.  Good ST player, so he can give you something immediately, but how high are you willing to take a 25-yar old rookie.

True.  I forgot about his time with SC.  As it stands the Jets don’t have a pick after the 5th round anyway.