Prospects 2022 and random college ball talk.

FSU Football is finally back.

image.png.bff0524bd10b766e019a1ac43b486a28.png

Not only because we're now loaded in talent again but because 2021's season will be dedicated to honor legendary coach Bobby Bowden. Rest in heaven Champ. And our FSU kids out of the state of Florida are going to wear their emotions on their sleeves, play with 100% heart and absolutely BALL OUT!

If you've never rooted for FSU football before. Please root for us this year. Because it's going to be fun and we'll win the National Championship too. 

45 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Interested to see what Cook does this year.  @Paradis I know you loved his brother, what are your thoughts on James?

I know you asked Paradis, but I will chime in with my two cents.  I think Cook is the kind of back who will be more successful in the NFL than in college.  Crowded backfield will limit his touches this year, probably behind Zamir White and Kendall Milton, but I expect him to be our primary 3rd down back.  Really good receiver and a big play guy.  Not sure he will ever by the workhorse his brother is in the NFL, but would likely be a really nice day 2 pick for a team that believes in RB by committee.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

I know you asked Paradis, but I will chime in with my two cents.  I think Cook is the kind of back who will be more successful in the NFL than in college.  Crowded backfield will limit his touches this year, probably behind Zamir White and Kendall Milton, but I expect him to be our primary 3rd down back.  Really good receiver and a big play guy.  Not sure he will ever by the workhorse his brother is in the NFL, but would likely be a really nice day 2 pick for a team that believes in RM by committee.

Agreed.   I’d love to see Monken use Cook in passing game some more. (After week one of course…Lol).  With the offense a little more spread out than in the past, Cook should have some room and opportunities in space.   

I noticed Arik Gilbert left the team for “personal issues”.  We’re they trying to convert him to a WR from a TE?  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Interested to see what Cook does this year.  @Paradis I know you loved his brother, what are your thoughts on James?

I've kept my finger on his pulse (sounds inappropriate), but i've never made a point of really "assessing" his grit one might say. I saw the trademark Cook smooth-feet glide and that ability his brother has to shoot through windows/angles.

Will have to make an effort to take a look this year... i think we'll still be in the mix for a Carter compliment next spring. Don't think anyone outside of M.C. is here for the long haul 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   I’d love to see Monken use Cook in passing game some more. (After week one of course…Lol).  With the offense a little more spread out than in the past, Cook should have some room and opportunities in space.   

I noticed Arik Gilbert left the team for “personal issues”.  We’re they trying to convert him to a WR from a TE?  

Yes.  They were moving him to WR.  No idea what his personal issues are or if he may be back at some point.  Either way, he was not likely to have much of an impact in new position early in the season.  He might have been able to give us another weapon later in the year if comfortable in his new role. 

Does anyone have access to the Bruce Feldman's NCAA freak list?   Big fan of that list, it typically gives me a few names to keep my eyes on throughout the season.  For example; I think his last 2 #'1 ranked freaks were Tristan Wirfs and Kwity Payne - and that sh*t played out over the season and into the draft.

On 8/18/2021 at 9:30 AM, JiFapono said:

Does anyone have access to the Bruce Feldman's NCAA freak list?   Big fan of that list, it typically gives me a few names to keep my eyes on throughout the season.  For example; I think his last 2 #'1 ranked freaks were Tristan Wirfs and Kwity Payne - and that sh*t played out over the season and into the draft.

Here is his top 10:

1. Evan Neal, LT Alabama
  2. Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan
  3. Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame
  4. Jalen Virgil, WR, Appalachian State
  5. Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia
  6. Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA
  7. George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue
  8. Jeffrey Gunter, LB, Coastal Carolina
  9. Derek Stingley Jr, CB, LSU
  10. Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Lith said:

Here is his top 10:

1. Evan Neal, LT Alabama

I could easily see a Karlaftis/Linderbaum combo in the first round next year.  Karlaftis is a great fit to play opposite Lawson on the other side.   

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Lith said:

Here is his top 10:

1. Evan Neal, LT Alabama

Thanks!  Kind of shocked Stingley is 9.  I was thinking he might be another Jalen Ramsey type, so figured I'd see him top 5 if not top 3.

Curious, why did Devonte Wyatt come back for his Senior year?  With a seemingly week DL class, you thought he would have come out in this draft. 

I read that they have Dameon Pierce and Mohamoud Diabate on the list.  Both players I think are in line for huge season for the Gators.  We're going to see a more heavy run attack this year, me thinks and Pierce will be leading the way. The dude is freakish strong his power #'s are off the charts.  And Diabate is lightening.  Pure lightening.  Found these write ups;

43. Mohamoud Diabate, Florida, linebacker

The Gators have a bunch of young Freaks in the pipeline (remember the name: Anthony Richardson, a huge, athletic quarterback), but Diabate, who is in his third season in the program, really emerged in 2020, making 69 tackles and seven TFLs. He made 10 tackles in the SEC title game against Alabama. As for his Freak credentials, Diabate is 6-3 1/2, 226 pounds and was clocked at 4.51, but the staff thinks he will run even faster. He’s broad jumped 10-4, verticaled 33.5-inches, squatted 605, benched 355 and clocked in 20.6 MPH on the GPS. He also has just 5.5 percent body fat.

21. Dameon Pierce, Florida, running back

He led the Gators in rushing with 503 yards last season and also caught 17 passes for 156 yards. The 5-10, 215-pound senior might have the strongest lower body of any running back in college football. Pierce squats 705 pounds and vertical jumps 37 inches. He’s clocked a 4.50 40 and has just 6 percent body fat. In addition, he benches 390 pounds.

• Upvote 2

On 8/11/2021 at 3:07 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

Linderbaum would be an absolutely fantastic pick late in the first round and could even allow us to move McGovern to guard for a year.  BC center Alec Lidstsrom is also a consideration in the second round as another smaller, athletic Center prospect although I think our LG Zion Johnson will wind up being the highest picked of our OL group.

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

Linderbaum would be an absolutely fantastic pick late in the first round and could even allow us to move McGovern to guard for a year.  BC center Alec Lidstsrom is also a consideration in the second round as another smaller, athletic Center prospect although I think our LG Zion Johnson will wind up being the highest picked of our OL group.

Your O-line is fantastic this year.   One of the best in the nation.  Very impressive 

54 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I could easily see a Karlaftis/Linderbaum combo in the first round next year.  Karlaftis is a great fit to play opposite Lawson on the other side.   

I would be down for that.  And it does seem like JD likes the athletic freaks, especially based on his last draft.  Almost all very high RAS guys.  I am hesitant to post too much stuff from behind a pay site (don't want to create problems for Max), but here are write ups for Karfaitis/Linderbaum.  

7. George Karlaftis, Purdue, defensive end
One of the biggest recruits the Boilers have landed in the last decade, Karlaftis began his career with a bang, with 17 TFLs and 7.5 sacks in 2019 as a freshman. He had two sacks in three games in an abbreviated 2020, but expectations about him are soaring for 2021. Karlaftis is a remarkable all-around athlete. He played on the U16 Greek national water polo team as a 13-year-old and then became a two-time Indiana state champ in the shot put and started for three seasons on his high school basketball team. At 272 pounds, Karlaftis’ body fat has dropped from 25 percent to 15 percent at Purdue. He power cleans 380, did a 505-pound front squat, a 10-1 broad jump and a 37-inch vertical jump. His 40 this offseason was 4.69. As part of his preparation, he spends an hour a day doing hand-to-hand combat and MMA drills, an hour on rehab/mobility exercises and a third hour watching film.

His position coach Mark Hagan has coached big-time players and says Karlaftis’ overall commitment to being elite is as good as anyone he’s ever been around in terms of “proper nutrition, proper hydration, extra time in the training room to take care of his body, extra stretching, extra meeting and video, extra drill work — every day. I’ve literally got to shut him down at times so he doesn’t overtrain.”

10. Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa, center

Pro Football Focus graded Linderbaum as the nation’s top center and the best pass blocker in the Big Ten who allowed only three quarterback pressures on 280 pass-blocking snaps in 2020. The 6-3, 290-pound Linderbaum came to Iowa after a terrific prep career in track (throwing the shot put and discus), wrestling, baseball and football. He displayed some of his freakish ability last month at the annual Solon Beef Days in his home state, heaving a 60-pound hay bale 14 feet high to share the title with fellow Hawkeye offensive lineman Tyler Elsbury. That was two feet better than former Freaks king Tristan Wirfs’ winning performance in the 2019 competition. During his freshman year, Linderbaum set the Hawkeyes squat record for a center by doing 590 pounds. He’s also got elite feet. Word is, he’s run a 1.55 10-yard split and was timed at 4.22 in the shuttle — numbers that would rival a good running back. Some first-round corners haven’t run that quick at the combine.

One veteran NFL scout told us Linderbaum reminds him of former NC State first-rounder Garrett Bradbury: “Linderbaum has great initial quickness and great balance. He’s never on the ground.”

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Your O-line is fantastic this year.   One of the best in the nation.  Very impressive 

Ive never been this pumped for a BC season.  The OL is great, we have a legit QB and a WR who will likely be a top 100 pick in zay flowers.   A 9 win season is legitimately possible, I just dont know if the administration can keep Hafley, hes just such a good coach and really loves the players, hes changed the whole program in 2 years.

18 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Ive never been this pumped for a BC season.  The OL is great, we have a legit QB and a WR who will likely be a top 100 pick in zay flowers.   A 9 win season is legitimately possible, I just dont know if the administration can keep Hafley, hes just such a good coach and really loves the players, hes changed the whole program in 2 years.

I think Gill and CJ Lewis are pretty good receivers as well.  Lots of size there to go along with Zay.  The philosophical change from Hafley was needed.  Hopefully they can keep him, they need to commit to him and support him if they want some sustained success.   9 wins is totally possible, a couple tough conference games on the road against Clemson and NC State, but you have FSU and Missouri at home.  

14 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

One more week @Lith.  This was the entrance from the 2013 Clemson/Georgia game.   

Looking forward to it with equal parts excitement, anticipation and dread.  These are the kind of games my teams never win.  On top of it we are banged up.  Pickens out with an ACL.  Dominick Blaylock, Darnell Washington, David Tykee all not expected to play.  And I just woke up to news that one of our freshman DBs, David Daniel was hit by a car last night in Athens.  Minor injuries, but the 4* recruit likely misses his first game next week.  I am just hoping the JT >>> DJ and that will be enough.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

Looking forward to it with equal parts excitement, anticipation and dread.  These are the kind of games my teams never win.  On top of it we are banged up.  Pickens out with an ACL.  Dominick Blaylock, Darnell Washington, David Tykee all not expected to play.  And I just woke up to news that one of our freshman DBs, David Daniel was hit by a car last night in Athens.  Minor injuries, but the 4* recruit likely misses his first game next week.  I am just hoping the JT >>> DJ and that will be enough.

I think these type of games are so difficult when they are the first game of the season.   You really have no idea how these kids will come out and play.   Some good news for Georgia fans though, everything I’ve heard from camp so far is that the Clemson offense has looked mediocre at best.  I’m not sure DJ is ready to win this type of game yet, hope I’m wrong, but I fear this game is too big for him right now.  

28 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think these type of games are so difficult when they are the first game of the season.   You really have no idea how these kids will come out and play.   Some good news for Georgia fans though, everything I’ve heard from camp so far is that the Clemson offense has looked mediocre at best.  I’m not sure DJ is ready to win this type of game yet, hope I’m wrong, but I fear this game is too big for him right now.  

Yup, I have read some of the same. Best hope for us is Daniels outplays DJ and we escape with a win.  Kirby has to get one of these big time matchups.  We win a ton of games, but always seem to lose that big matchup that we need turn a really good season into something special.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup, I have read some of the same. Best hope for us is Daniels outplays DJ and we escape with a win.  Kirby has to get one of these big time matchups.  We win a ton of games, but always seem to lose that big matchup that we need turn a really good season into something special.

I think the best match up is the Clemson D-line. vs. the Georgia O-line.   Those are probably the two best units on each team.   I wouldn’t be surprised to see Georgia have success running the ball outside against the Clemson D, and the RBs having success in the flats catching the ball.  You can exploit the Clemson LBers in both the run game and passing game.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:14 AM, sec101row23 said:

Not a great outlook for UVA this year.   My guess is that the game will be a noon or 3:30 kick off, especially if it is an NBC game.    Not sure what the other matchups are for that weekend, but it’s not likely that game gets moved to 7 or 8pm.  

Regardless, you’ll have a great time at the game.  It’s a beautiful campus and the tailgating is great.   I imaging a lot of ND fans will be there, they travel as well as any program.  

My Uncle is good friends with Bronco Mendenhall.  I had a chance to have dinner with him and his family once, and I just can't help but root for the guy because he's such a down to earth great human.  Sadly, I do believe his coaching style is good at sustaining a consistently good program, but will never be able to reach a level to compete with the likes of Clemson and other bluebloods.

Some quick dudes that caught my attention. 

Olukunde Fatukasi LB Rutgers

Riley Moss CB Iowa (Early man crush here)

Tyler Linderbaum- you know him

Brandon Dorlus- DT Oregon

Coastal Carolina’s WR who’s name I don’t remember 

If Aiden Hutchinson tests well he’ll end up a first rounder at this rate.

Payne Durham- who might be Purdue’s backup tight end.

• Upvote 2

Sucks.  I enjoyed watching him play.  Almost singlehandedly kept Minnesota in the game with Ohio State last week.

Depending upon nature of the injury, this could be for the best.  The way Minnesota was using him the other day, he would likely have carried 300+ times this season.  Leaves a bit more tread on the tires for him as a pro.

• Upvote 2