Prospects 2022 and random college ball talk.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

True.  I forgot about his time with SC.  As it stands the Jets don’t have a pick after the 5th round anyway. 

Given JD's history,  I would imagine we will move back into the 6th at some point.  But as for 7th rounders -- fun fact:  Last 7th round pick we made was Charone Peake in 2016.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I'm coming around on Gardner - he's an insanely good prospect, plays a premium position, and the Jets have enough of a need there that adding a high end guy kind of lets everything else fall into place. It is wild how fluid he is for his size. Conceptually he's probably the cleanest prospect in the draft, right?

The big thing is how they'd use him. If they bring him in and let him follow guys it's different than if they bring him in and play sides. He'd still make an impact either way, but I think ideally if you make a huge investment in a corner you want him covering another team's best guys.

13 minutes ago, derp said:

I'm coming around on Gardner - he's an insanely good prospect, plays a premium position, and the Jets have enough of a need there that adding a high end guy kind of lets everything else fall into place. It is wild how fluid he is for his size. Conceptually he's probably the cleanest prospect in the draft, right?

The big thing is how they'd use him. If they bring him in and let him follow guys it's different than if they bring him in and play sides. He'd still make an impact either way, but I think ideally if you make a huge investment in a corner you want him covering another team's best guys.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I just wanted to post this video of USC coaches and Keaton Slovis trying to get Drake London maimed or killed.

I think he’s perfect for what our offense lacks as well with his size and posting ability. Entire defenses knew where the ball was going and he just drops his 12-15 catches a game anyways. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I just wanted to post this video of USC coaches and Keaton Slovis trying to get Drake London maimed or killed.

I'm not feeling this guy in the first round. He's got good catching mechanics and size, but he tends to round his routes a bit and doesn't show the explosion coming out of his breaks that I like to see. He's got some start and stop ability once he has the ball, but I don't think he's going to bully pro CBs after the catch the way he does college CBs. He reminds me of Floyd, the WR that came out of Notre Dame. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was listening to Dane Bruglers podcast on the way home from work and some pretty hot takes were shared. Dane and the other guy (i forget his name, think he works for SI) said that the nfl is lower on Hutch than the general public. Both Brugler and the other guy are mocking him past #3. They both have Walker going #3 to the Texans. Will Hutch actually be there at 4? That would be crazy and I’d be all for it. Apparently they spoke with a bunch of guys at the combine and that’s the vibe they got. They are thinking OL #1 possible trade up to #2 for a QB (see my post from a few weeks ago about this hehe) Walker at #3 and the jets have a chance to take Thibs or Hutch. Something we would never imagine a month ago 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I was listening to Dane Bruglers podcast on the way home from work and some pretty hot takes were shared. Dane and the other guy (i forget his name, think he works for SI) said that the nfl is lower on Hutch than the general public. Both Brugler and the other guy are mocking him past #3. They both have Walker going #3 to the Texans. Will Hutch actually be there at 4? That would be crazy and I’d be all for it. Apparently they spoke with a bunch of guys at the combine and that’s the vibe they got. They are thinking OL #1 possible trade up to #2 for a QB (see my post from a few weeks ago about this hehe) Walker at #3 and the jets have a chance to take Thibs or Hutch. Something we would never imagine a month ago 

I’m feeling much better about this draft after the combine - mostly due to Travon Walker popping and the overall speed/athleticism of this class. It’s not 2013. Between Neal, Icky and the 3 pass rushers below we’ll be fine at 4.

Travon Walker
6'5"
272 lbs
35.5 Arm Length
84 1/4 Wingspan

Kayvon Thibodeaux
6'4"
254 lbs
33 1/8 Arms
79.5 Wingspan

Aidan Hutchinson
6'6"
260 lbs
32 1/8 Arms
78 1/8 Wingspan

Throw in Jermaine Johnson, Sauce, Penning and we’ll be fine at 10.  

I think Watson or Dotson could be had in round 2 and/or quality safeties. TE in the third. Butter from there on out.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I’m feeling much better about this draft after the combine - mostly due to Travon Walker popping and the overall speed/athleticism of this class. It’s not 2013. Between Neal, Icky and the 3 pass rushers below we’ll be fine at 4.

Travon Walker
6'5"
272 lbs
35.5 Arm Length
84 1/4 Wingspan

Kayvon Thibodeaux
6'4"
254 lbs
33 1/8 Arms
79.5 Wingspan

Aidan Hutchinson
6'6"
260 lbs
32 1/8 Arms
78 1/8 Wingspan

I think Watson or Dotson could be had in round 2 and/or quality safeties. TE in the third. Butter from there on out.

Some nice random stuff too. Linebackers can run which the Jets definitely need.

Also lots of athletic day three centers. I know there are rumors the Jets want a FA center but this is a perfect class to find a guy to develop behind McGovern and take over a year later.

Nice tight end class too. Daniel Bellinger is a perfect backup who can block and see if you can unlock the athleticism if they draft multiple guys.

Fastest RB class in while too and they could really use a home run hitter to pair with Carter.

Think like last class was used to build defensive depth day three they can do the same on offense in this class.

• Sympathy 1

On 3/7/2022 at 11:11 PM, David Harris said:

Travon Walker
6'5"
272 lbs
35.5 Arm Length
84 1/4 Wingspan

Kayvon Thibodeaux
6'4"
254 lbs
33 1/8 Arms
79.5 Wingspan

Aidan Hutchinson
6'6"
260 lbs
32 1/8 Arms
78 1/8 Wingspan

There isn't much left that Douglas can do to lower my opinion of him, but drafting Travon Walker at 4 would do it. Kid is a dynamite athlete, but he didn't play edge that often at Georgia. With the pressure starting to build on Douglas, he would be crazy to pick such a project at 4. 

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

There isn't much left that Douglas can do to lower my opinion of him, but drafting Travon Walker at 4 would do it. Kid is a dynamite athlete, but he didn't play edge that often at Georgia. With the pressure starting to build on Douglas, he would be crazy to pick such a project at 4. 

I’m honestly not even sure Walker’s there at 4, he certainly wouldn’t be if he produced more.

Inside-out transitions tend to work surprisingly well for edge players - forces guys to learn better hand usage than guys who purely play the edge in college - and the long armed, flexible, strong profile tends to translate pretty well too. Plus he’s good against the run.

Think he has a pretty high floor. The athleticism gives him the ceiling. I honestly don’t know where he gets picked but he’s a very good prospect.

I also think the experience inside just means the Jets could have a nasty pressure package with him and JFM inside plus Lawson and another edge outside. They could legitimately go Johnson and Walker at 4 and 10 in whatever order and I think it’d fit with team needs - Walker plays JFM’s spot, JFM kicks inside, Johnson and Lawson compete for early downs and the backup comes on the field on third down and kicks Walker inside.

So I was able to watch some Rutgers and Bo Melton is still a question mark. He is one of those guys that is clearly fast but like “is he that fast?” If you look at the combine the answer is yes but the eyes don’t feel the same way about him. Also Rutgers QBs are awful and hung him up to dry a lot. His contested catch ability is inconsistent but seemed improved as he got older. 

Might be too similar to Elijah Moore to be a Jet but his Senior Bowl was impressive and the Jets got a first row seat at his game. 

4th round player who might jump up boards.

Small thing that happened. I was listening to “The Draft Dudes” podcast and this whole draft economy is such a joke. If I could dedicate real time to this hobby of mine I’d have every player in college football evaluated before the combine. Meanwhile these podcaster guys are like “I finally got to watch Georgia’s defense in depth and I’ve been in it for 3 days.” 3 days to evaluate 1 defense is gross and hilarious.

What do you guys think of Leo Chenal? I was watching some YouTube and Broshmo has him as his #1 lb in the class. I haven’t watch any of him, but he did very well at the combine. Apparently he’s an excellent blitzer and good against the run. Coverage is a question mark. Has the athletic profile to be good in coverage.  

DBD10710-E0AE-4821-8D2D-F182BF3F3FC4.jpeg

19 hours ago, BurntDice said:

What do you guys think of Leo Chenal? I was watching some YouTube and Broshmo has him as his #1 lb in the class. I haven’t watch any of him, but he did very well at the combine. Apparently he’s an excellent blitzer and good against the run. Coverage is a question mark. Has the athletic profile to be good in coverage.  

He’s one of those players that is simultaneously overrated and underrated. 

20 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Let me elaborate. Chenal is super good at the click and explode downhill game. He also had a surprising tackle radius. He’s big and strong and uses his hands well. 

But through possibly no fault of his own, his movement is a huge question mark. He lined up over A gap or close to the line of scrimmage a lot and used his strength so well in that space. So maybe he can do the Nakobe Dean special of “diagnose quickly and move laterally” or maybe he has Devin Lloyd immense range but it’s not on tape. Chenal was asked to do less than Lloyd and Dean and I’m just not sure he has the skill set for this defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Let me elaborate. Chenal is super good at the click and explode downhill game. He also had a surprising tackle radius. He’s big and strong and uses his hands well. 

But through possibly no fault of his own, his movement is a huge question mark. He lined up over A gap or close to the line of scrimmage a lot and used his strength so well in that space. So maybe he can do the Nakobe Dean special of “diagnose quickly and move laterally” or maybe he has Devin Lloyd immense range but it’s not on tape. Chenal was asked to do less than Lloyd and Dean and I’m just not sure he has the skill set for this defense.

A lot of very athletic projects this year at LB. Tindall, Anderson, Chenal have some interesting athleticism. But the way these things go nowadays, thinking of someone like Milton Williams or Jacob Harris who exploded in draft stock for high-end athleticism last year they probably get drafted higher than I'd project based on current playing ability.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

That’s for the breakdown! From what I gather on the Saleh scheme the lbs are rarely used to blitz. So blitzing isn’t really a priority. That is Chenals strength so it makes sense that he’s not a great fit. That is unless he can cover well. He can possibly be what they were looking for in Jarrod Davis at SAM. Stout against the run decent in coverage and occasional blitzing. Depending of the view of his coverage ability he might fit.  Eventually replace Mosley at MIKE 

to sum it up I have no idea if he would be a good pick or not lol 

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

That’s for the breakdown! From what I gather on the Saleh scheme the lbs are rarely used to blitz. So blitzing isn’t really a priority. That is Chenals strength so it makes sense that he’s not a great fit. That is unless he can cover well. He can possibly be what they were looking for in Jarrod Davis at SAM. Stout against the run decent in coverage and occasional blitzing. Depending of the view of his coverage ability he might fit.  Eventually replace Mosley at MIKE 

to sum it up I have no idea if he would be a good pick or not lol 

He’s a much more straightforward fit as an ILB for an aggressive 3-4 team. For the Jets it’s risky since he hasn’t shown he can cover. A forward thinking team might throw him on the edge and let him rush the passer which would be interesting in terms of asking him to do something he hasn’t done before, but the blitz heavy 3-4 ILB role is the cleanest fit.

If you think about it from the Jets’ perspective they want guys who can cover which is why they’ve converted safeties and are okay with lighter guys. Taking someone like Chenal who hasn’t done what you’re going to ask him to do and will go higher than those guys because he’s pretty prototypical size/speed wise is probably a non starter.

I think best case they hope Dean slips since he’s lighter, hasn’t really been able to work out, and teams may question how much he benefitted from playing behind such a sick DL.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, derp said:

He’s a much more straightforward fit as an ILB for an aggressive 3-4 team. For the Jets it’s risky since he hasn’t shown he can cover. A forward thinking team might throw him on the edge and let him rush the passer which would be interesting in terms of asking him to do something he hasn’t done before, but the blitz heavy 3-4 ILB role is the cleanest fit.

If you think about it from the Jets’ perspective they want guys who can cover which is why they’ve converted safeties and are okay with lighter guys. Taking someone like Chenal who hasn’t done what you’re going to ask him to do and will go higher than those guys because he’s pretty prototypical size/speed wise is probably a non starter.

I think best case they hope Dean slips since he’s lighter, hasn’t really been able to work out, and teams may question how much he benefitted from playing behind such a sick DL.

I definitely agree that right now he may not be an ideal fit. As I said I barely know anything about him. He does seem like a better 3-4 backer. 

I’m no expert at the Saleh D, but the Sam is mostly asked to be good against the run and occasionally blitz and be at least ok in coverage right?  That’s why the other Williams brother was semi decent last year. Him being trash in coverage was a liability however. Can Chenal be like Quincy but better in coverage? Idk probably 

The will is more so the coverage backer. Lighter and has more range. Which is why Nas can be a great fit there. 

im just guessing, and I’ve only done a little bit of research on the scheme but that’s what I came away with. He seems like he could work in the Sam role. 

I would love Dean in the 2nd 

Im just trying to see if there are other options besides Lloyd, Dean, Muma, Asamoah and the other Georgia lb who are potential options since the lb corpse is so trash  

10 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I definitely agree that right now he may not be an ideal fit. As I said I barely know anything about him. He does seem like a better 3-4 backer. 

I’m no expert at the Saleh D, but the Sam is mostly asked to be good against the run and occasionally blitz and be at least ok in coverage right?  That’s why the other Williams brother was semi decent last year. Him being trash in coverage was a liability however. Can Chenal be like Quincy but better in coverage? Idk probably 

The will is more so the coverage backer. Lighter and has more range. Which is why Nas can be a great fit there. 

im just guessing, and I’ve only done a little bit of research on the scheme but that’s what I came away with. He seems like he could work in the Sam role. 

I would love Dean in the 2nd 

Im just trying to see if there are other options besides Lloyd, Dean, Muma, Asamoah and the other Georgia lb who are potential options since the lb corpse is so trash  

I think what I was getting at before is that the answer is less “could he do it” and more “is he going to be good enough at it and have the role be important enough that the Jets would take him early enough to actually be able to acquire him”. And I think the answer to that latter question is probably no. Think need/value/scheme fit will mesh later for the Jets than several other teams.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, derp said:

I think what I was getting at before is that the answer is less “could he do it” and more “is he going to be good enough at it and have the role be important enough that the Jets would take him early enough to actually be able to acquire him”. And I think the answer to that latter question is probably no. Think need/value/scheme fit will mesh later for the Jets than several other teams.

That makes sense. For where he’ll get drafted which seems like late first or 2nd round there are too many question marks. It would be different if he was going to be a mid round pick 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I generally hate videos like this but I really believe that Drake London is the apple of Joe Douglas’s eye.

Good blocker, high character, YAC, and versatility.

I’m with you.   I think you can use him as a traditional X and play the back shoulder game with him and also use him as a big slot and work the seams with him.   His red zone presence is also much needed.   When was the last time we saw the Jets run simple fades into the back corner of the endzone with their WRs?   He’s also a guy that Zach can trust when he sees that London is single covered, and just let him make a play on the ball.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I've been saying it since combine, when you add his production (some of his college stats are mind blowing) with his freakish athletic ability, size and strength.  I think he is the best player in the draft.  And I'm all in on Sauce at 4.   Other than playing at Cinci, how is he not Jalen Ramsey who went 5th overall?

This is correct. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I generally hate videos like this but I really believe that Drake London is the apple of Joe Douglas’s eye.

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m with you.   I think you can use him as a traditional X and play the back shoulder game with him and also use him as a big slot and work the seams with him.   His red zone presence is also much needed.   When was the last time we saw the Jets run simple fades into the back corner of the endzone with their WRs?   He’s also a guy that Zach can trust when he sees that London is single covered, and just let him make a play on the ball.  

No concerns with his lack of separation when he lines up outside?  He cant shake the worst of corners.  They stick to him like glue.  They already took the contested catch guy 2 years ago and he sucks and he displayed IMO, a lot more than London on tape.

Ugh, would hate to make that same mistake twice.   Really really dont want London.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I still think he’s a bit of a square peg round hold with the current personnel, but potentially a harder piece to find than the pure field stretcher I think fits better with the current group so I get the idea of adding him with more of a long term view.

Think he’d be best used moved around and I probably don’t give LaFleur enough credit for potentially being able to do that. Harder to handle from the slot than outside in some ways.

As wide open as this draft is I wonder if he’s in play for Detroit with Hutchinson off the board and no OL need.

41 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Aright ima draft newb here, but to me London and Watson seem like the same type of WR. What makes London WR1 and Watson a later round prospect?