Prospects 2022 and random college ball talk.

On 9/22/2021 at 4:25 PM, sec101row23 said:

I’d add Forsyth to the center watchlist for 2022.   

I started looking into Forsyth about a week ago. He’s intriguing. Immediately, I wasn’t completely enamored with him like I was with Linderbaum but I wasn’t disappointed like I’ve been with so many other IOL prospects in the past 2 years. 

55 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I started looking into Forsyth about a week ago. He’s intriguing. Immediately, I wasn’t completely enamored with him like I was with Linderbaum but I wasn’t disappointed like I’ve been with so many other IOL prospects in the past 2 years. 

He’s not Tyler as a prospect, but an interesting option after the first round.    Will be worth watching him as this season goes on.  

• Upvote 3

On 7/12/2021 at 12:13 PM, sec101row23 said:

A place for random college talk and some 2022 draft eligible prospects.  No 2022 mock drafts please...Lol.

Going to watch this kid a lot this year, there’s some potential here IMO. 

Anyone see the Arkansas/A&M game?   Burks’ skill set was on full display.  Hard to believe he is 230 pounds.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Anyone see the Arkansas/A&M game?   Burks’ skill set was on full display.  Hard to believe he is 230 pounds.  

He scares the hell out of me for this weekend.  The one place our defense has looked vulnerable this season is on the back end.  I have to assume a few deep shots to Burks will be in the game plan.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

He scares the hell out of me for this weekend.  The one place our defense has looked vulnerable this season is on the back end.  I have to assume a few deep shots to Burks will be in the game plan.

But you guys should make them one dimensional by shutting down their run game.  He’ll get his touches, but I doubt he goes off with a huge game. 

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Hard to say today.  If he continues this type of play and tests really well, he’s probably in the 20-28 range.  

Very fair, I asked the question thinking higher than that if he continues the level of play and tests well. Looks like the kind of physical specimen we don’t see come out at wide receiver too often and even less so with production.

Reminds me of some of those early-mid 2000’s guys I took for granted but haven’t hit the league for a while. He’ll be an interesting one to track.

48 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

All of the Tyler Linderbaum hype has me frightened that we won’t get him and that is my nightmare scenario 

There's a chance the Seattle pick gets in range even if they have to move up. They could easily rally but that defense has been bad. And if Wilson gets hurt forget about it. Tough division too. 

Linderbaum is just way too obvious. I'm also concerned it won't happen. He was actually the guy I wanted in my avatar but I did Rondale Moore last year and they didn't land him so I figured I'd leave my favorite prospect out of the avatar this year.

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2021 at 4:28 PM, HtownJet said:

Neal from Alabama is a very interesting prospect who run blocks and handles the speed rush very well. I’d be ok with drafting him to play LT and move Becton to the right side.

I’ve been very unimpressed by Neal. He’s not bad but he hasn’t been so good that he’s undeniable. 

Edited for clarity: Neal is a good player with 1st round traits but he’s not dominant.

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2021 at 10:03 AM, kdels62 said:

I’ve been very unimpressed by Neal. He’s not bad but he hasn’t been so good that he’s undeniable. 

Edited for clarity: Neal is a good player with 1st round traits but he’s not dominant.

Agreed.   To this point those freakish physical attributes aren’t translating to ultra dominant play.   He’s not a slam dunk top 5 type prospect yet.  

• Upvote 1

It’s an interesting year to presumably have a pretty high pick since the huge holes (RG, TE) aren’t really top of the first round positions and pretty much anything else can be upgraded though they almost certainly won’t be going QB. That first pick will probably just come down to how they want to build and who they like. Kind of like Miami last year.

So this might be an unpopular thought, and certainly if posted on the regular board would result in a million complaints about premium positions, but Kyle Hamilton should be a legitimate consideration for our pick.

• We are most likely not going to be picking early enough for Thibodeux
  • After signing JFM, im not sure investing a top 10 pick in an edge rusher (aside from someone like Thibodeux)
  • The spots we need to improve, IOL and TE are also not spots that you draft in the top 10
  • I think Linderbaum will be available in the top 20

Hamilton is going to be considered a better prospect then Derwin James, Adams, or pretty much any safety in the last 10 years.  Hes a ballhawk who can also play the run and is a great tackler - basically hits every single button of what Saleh wants in his defense.  At 6'4 219 he can play single high and patrol the entire field or come down in the box.

I love the production we are getting from Bryce Huff, but he was getting destroyed in the run game vs the Titans, so I do think Edge is a position we need to address as JFM is a hybrid and Lawson will hopefully man one DE spot in 2022, but I think Hamilton might be such a good prospect that the positional value argument doesnt necessarily fit here. 

• Upvote 3

On 10/9/2021 at 10:06 PM, kdels62 said:

Twitter catching up to where I was a year ago 

Whats also interesting is the Bears have James Daniels, the iowa center prior to Linderbaum who for whatever reason continues to play guard and not center.  He happens to be a free agent after this season, and I wonder if he could be a player who would thrive in a zone system and could be someone we look to in FA to replace GVR and play RG.

I also think we could move mcgovern to RG if we draft Linderbaum which would also be a big upgrade at RG.

28 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Watching as much Trey McBride as I can and I’m impressed. He’s thicc and it muscular af. His skill set is very Rob Gronkowski like in that he has sneaky speed but the key to his game is reliability in the short to intermediate range. 

He seems like a unit. Not overly fast, but he's got good hands and seems to be able to have a good understanding of attacking zone. For obvious reasons, I'm trying to track how this TE class is doing and there seems to be mixed rankings on where they slot in outside of Wydermeyer. Also trying to track how Kolar, La Porta, Ruckert, Stogner, Otton, Billingsley are doing.

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

He seems like a unit. Not overly fast, but he's got good hands and seems to be able to have a good understanding of attacking zone. For obvious reasons, I'm trying to track how this TE class is doing and there seems to be mixed rankings on where they slot in outside of Wydermeyer. Also trying to track how Kolar, La Porta, Ruckert, Stogner, Otton, Billingsley are doing.

I’m on the same boat. I think the TE talent in this draft is interesting and I’m hoping JD has snagged 2 talents by the 4th round. My preference right now being Round 2- Isaiah Likely and Round 3- Trey McBride. 

Honestly using a late round flier on South Carolina’s EJ Jenkins and letting him sit and bulk up for a year is also appealing. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I’m on the same boat. I think the TE talent in this draft is interesting and I’m hoping JD has snagged 2 talents by the 4th round. My preference right now being Round 2- Isaiah Likely and Round 3- Trey McBride. 

Honestly using a late round flier on South Carolina’s EJ Jenkins and letting him sit and bulk up for a year is also appealing. 

A lot of my Gamecock friends were really high on Jenkins transferring in this season.  The transition to TE hasn’t been smooth thus far.   A lot of it is that the Cocks are just a really bad team with severe issues at QB, plus there isn’t much confidence in the Shane Beamer coaching staff.  He’s supposedly up to 250 pounds now and given that he’s 6’7” could probably easily add another 10-15 pounds.  His length and agility are interesting though.  

• Upvote 2