Wilson vs Fields

Saw a poll posted on the interwebs somewhere putting up a poll of Wilson vs fields.  I don’t quite get it cept they were in the same draft.  Odds are 1 QB that was drafted may not live up to the expectations. I personally feel that Fields will be the one that’s the bust. A lot of factors, such as accuracy pocket presence etc are my reasons. I actually think Wilson could wind up being better that Trevor Lawrence.  Of course only time will tell but I like Our chances.opinions? 

I think over the long haul Lance will be the surprise of all the QB's drafted: all the tools, just very green. 

I believe the fates of all the QB's will rest on the supporting casts (including coaches, organization, etc.) around them. Fields might be screwed, at least short term, by landing in Chicago - a graveyard for QB's as of late. So were the Jets, but I like to think it's past tense for us now. Jacksonville might be another bad spot, but Lawrence might have the talent to rise above it - or at least survive until another coach comes to town to replace Meyer, which I think is inevitable.

SF and NE are decent landing spots for the others. 

• Upvote 4

Ok Fields is on the bears and I think that factors in a lot. They have not had a lot of success grooming QBs 

Rex Grossman

Kyle Orton

Jay Cutler

Michell Trubisky

Andy Dalton

thats who the bears have had under center. Or will have going forward 

we had 

Chad Pennington

Kellen Clemens

Favre

Sanchez

friggin geno

Fitz

Darnold

I would have to say we have had better QBs ....not by much Chad,Favre,and Sanchez sadly 

• Upvote 1

I think Fields will do well. He has the tools. I'm obviously hoping that Wilson exceeds that. I think Lawrence may have trouble landing with Meyer in Jax, just a gut feeling. Jones doesn't frighten me at all. Lance is a 50/50 prospect to me. Much like Josh Allen. 

• Upvote 3

Saw a poll posted on the interwebs somewhere putting up a poll of Wilson vs fields.  I don’t quite get it cept they were in the same draft.  Odds are 1 QB that was drafted may not live up to the expectations. I personally feel that Fields will be the one that’s the bust. A lot of factors, such as accuracy pocket presence etc are my reasons. I actually think Wilson could wind up being better that Trevor Lawrence.  Of course only time will tell but I like Our chances.opinions? 
Lol of course u think Fields will bust and Wilson will be better than TL hahahahaha ..shocking hot take from a Jets fan.

Let's be real, Chicago has a stronger overall team and more experienced coaching staff. He has a better chance to be successful there and he doesn't have to start right away.

That being said....

TL will be a bust

Wilson has a hell of an opportunity in front of him. Better than Sammy boy did by far. The kid will be fine.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bungaman said:

I think over the long haul Lance will be the surprise of all the QB's drafted: all the tools, just very green. 

I believe the fates of all the QB's will rest on the supporting casts (including coaches, organization, etc.) around them. Fields might be screwed, at least short term, by landing in Chicago - a graveyard for QB's as of late. So were the Jets, but I like to think it's past tense for us now. Jacksonville might be another bad spot, but Lawrence might have the talent to rise above it - or at least survive until another coach comes to town to replace Meyer, which I think is inevitable.

I have no opinion on Lance.  Never watched any of his games, know nothing about him.

9 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Ok Fields is on the bears and I think that factors in a lot. They have not had a lot of success grooming QBs 

Rex Grossman

Kyle Orton

Jay Cutler

Michell Trubisky

Andy Dalton

thats who the bears have had under center. Or will have going forward 

we had 

Chad Pennington

Kellen Clemens

Favre

Sanchez

friggin geno

Fitz

Darnold

I would have to say we have had better QBs ....not by much Chad,Favre,and Sanchez sadly 

Jets and Chicago are the only two teams to not have a 4,000-yard passer during the 16-game era. Sad.

7 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I am happy with Wilson but...... 

I was higher on Fields and Lance but so what... I am with Zach...

I don't need other QBs to fail to be happy with Wilson!

I also preferred Fields. But projecting college QB play to pro play is the most difficult thing to do in sport. 

Love the last line, by the way. I still remember the wishing for Baker to fail vibes here a few years ago. That never made sense to me. Baker was off the board. If you want to pray for a QB to fail, it should at least be one the Jets actually passed over lol.

5 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Lol of course u think Fields will bust and Wilson will be better than TL hahahahaha ..shocking hot take from a Jets fan.

Let's be real, Chicago has a stronger overall team and more experienced coaching staff. He has a better chance to be successful there and he doesn't have to start right away.

That being said....

TL will be a bust

Wilson has a hell of an opportunity in front of him. Better than Sammy boy did by far. The kid will be fine.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

TL is not going to be a bust. He is the truth. But there's no rule that only one QB can succeed from a draft class. See: Mahomes/Watson. Anyway, he is irrelevant. He was always going #1 and JAX was not trading down.

Jets fans should be more worried about Lance/Fields/Jones becoming a superstar.

• Upvote 1

While Fields is no sure thing he has leadership abilities, is a fierce competitor and with work will have all of the tools he needs to succeed as an NFL QB.  IMO he will end up being a long term successful starting QB in the NFL. Frankly, I think the chances are very good that Lawrence, Wilson and Fields will all be top QBs 5 years from now. The guy that intrigues me however is Kyle Trask, he gets to learn from watching Brady, has great coaches and there is a ton of talent on the Tampa O. If Brady walks away in a couple of years or decides to leave for another team so he can be the only QB to win a SB with 3 different teams, Trask is set up for success. 

15 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Based on coaching staff and the rest of the team I think Lance and Wilson have the best chance to be the QBs each team envisioned.  Let’s hope this thread ages well....lol. 

Lance is the most intriguing QB in the draft. There was a lot of speculation that the 49ers really preferred Wilson, but you have to wonder if Lance was their top guy all along and only felt comfortable moving up to #3 (and not bothering to call the Jets at #2) because they knew the Jets wanted Wilson and they were gonna get their guy. He has the advantage of joining a solid organization that could (and probably should) sit him for at least half a year. The way KC brought Mahomes along being the model. 

I think there’s more immediate pressure on Fields because he’s probably Nagy’s last chance there. It’ll be interesting to see when he overtakes Dalton. I think the smart move, again, would be to sit him, but they may not have the patience. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, freestater said:

I think Fields will do well. He has the tools. I'm obviously hoping that Wilson exceeds that. I think Lawrence may have trouble landing with Meyer in Jax, just a gut feeling. Jones doesn't frighten me at all. Lance is a 50/50 prospect to me. Much like Josh Allen. 

After we lost  Sunshine , I wanted Fields.  Wilson was my 3rd choice after Darnold proved he sucked beyond a shadow of a doubt.  I hope Wilson is the best and Fields does great too.  Lawrence seems to me the bigger bust /boom qb.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Lance is the most intriguing QB in the draft. There was a lot of speculation that the 49ers really preferred Wilson, but you have to wonder if Lance was their top guy all along and only felt comfortable moving up to #3 (and not bothering to call the Jets at #2) because they knew the Jets wanted Wilson and they were gonna get their guy. He has the advantage of joining a solid organization that could (and probably should) sit him for at least half a year. The way KC brought Mahomes along being the model. 

I think there’s more immediate pressure on Fields because he’s probably Nagy’s last chance there. It’ll be interesting to see when he overtakes Dalton. I think the smart move, again, would be to sit him, but they may not have the patience. 

Interesting thing about sitting Lance is 

1.  Jimmy G is not the  most durable dude.  Lance will probably get some shots without having been anointed the #1 with all that pressure

2. He is the kind of QB they could have some package plays for that would actually be useful being used of the bench, unlike the typical #2 that just sits with his clipboard.  Guy is a truck running the ball. 

• Upvote 4

Fields has the most pressure on him.  He is going to determine if his coach and gm get fired at the end of the year.  Thats alot for a young kid to handle.

The the coaches cant be patient with Fields as they need to win now.

I feel bad for the kid.  He has by far the toughest scenario to succeed in.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

1.  Jimmy G is not the  most durable dude.  He will probably get some shots without having been anointed the #1 with all that pressure

2. He is the kind of QB they could have some package plays for that would actually be useful being used of the bench, unlike the typical #2 that just sits with his clipboard.  Guy is a truck running the ball. 

That’s a good point. They could get his feet wet the way Baltimore worked in Lamar Jackson or New Orleans did with Taysom Hill. The coach and GM are very secure there, giving them the option not to have to rush him. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

1.  Jimmy G is not the  most durable dude.  He will probably get some shots without having been anointed the #1 with all that pressure

I cant see lance being ready to start week 1.  This kid played at a small school and played only 1 football game last year.  

The niners have a real good team and jimmy G can get them back to the Super Bowl if he stays healthy.  I think they roll with Jimmy G this year unless he gets hurt.  If jimmy g is healthy, Lance will get a red shirt year to get accustomed to the nfl.

I favored Wilson over Fields because big college schools generally don't produce great pro QBs. (Clemson is, I guess the outlier right now.) After two USC QBs deeply underperforming I have had enough of the taste of that medicine. 

I hope Wilson is a successful franchise QB for the next fifteen years but if not I'd rather see the team take shots at QBs who come from middling schools where they had to elevate the team to succeed rather than play on essentially a pro team versus a schedule of barely Div I teams. 

I would be very happy if all three (Wilson, Fields, Lance) because great QBs.  Because the other two are in the NFC.  Let them rise to the top there.  We have enough problems with Mahomes, and possibly Allen if he can prove that last year wasn't an aberration.

• Upvote 3

If Wilson doesn't turn out to be the best QB in this draft by a very wide margin, I'll be pissed.

I hated Ken because it was so obvious Marino was a stud.  Sanchez wasn't in the same league as Stafford.  Sam is a turd compared to Lamar and Allen.  

Zach has all the tools to be the best QB in this class.  If he turns out to be the third or 4th best it will be a huge dissapointment.  

• Upvote 4

I loved Fields. Guy was neck and neck with Lawrence as the best passer from his recruiting class, a 5 star guy. Big physical athlete. All the tools, smart, hard working. Productive at the highest levels. Proved himself to be a tough gamer in the Sugar Bowl.

I'm genuinely curious why he seemed to fall a bit in the draft -- but it's clear the Jets weren't the only team that weren't enamored with him. 9ers passed. Panthers preferred Darnold. Broncos, in desperate need for a franchise QB, passed.

Bears (who were absolutely desperate to save their jobs) moved up for him.

Not really sure what that says but I'm curious... Bears are an interesting scenario. They're better than the average team you get drafted by as a top QB prospect but 1) there's a lot of pressure to produce immediately and 2) if you don't produce immediately the regime that drafted you might be gone after one year. Not an ideal scenario to be in. 

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Saw a poll posted on the interwebs somewhere putting up a poll of Wilson vs fields.  I don’t quite get it cept they were in the same draft.

That's what people do.  Compare like things from like times.  Not sure what there is to "get" really.

18 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Odds are 1 QB that was drafted may not live up to the expectations. I personally feel that Fields will be the one that’s the bust. A lot of factors, such as accuracy pocket presence etc are my reasons. I actually think Wilson could wind up being better that Trevor Lawrence.  Of course only time will tell but I like Our chances.opinions? 

We drafted Wilson, so I hope Wilson is great.  

We kicked the dead horse of opinions and evaluations and criticism and the like for more than long enough pre-draft.  Everything that needed said was said.

Now is the time for rooting, hoping, optimism.  Wilson is our guy, regardless of if we individually wanted or liked him or not.  

So I hope they all bust and Wilson is a HOF'er.  We'll see what's what on opening day soon enough.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Bungaman said:

This is not going to be popular, but I think the QB that will perform above his billing is Mac Jones.  My thoughts on Fields and Wilson have not changed.   I don't think Fields will pan out as a starter after four up and down seasons and Wilson is either going to be elite or a total disaster.   Who knows about Lance.  Could be an elite QB after a few years of learning, or a total bust.   

Lots of moving parts.  Who knows for sure about any of them ???

Time tells all. 

• Upvote 1

i don't really care how fields does.  it's all about how zwill does.  i don't have such a warm and fuzzy for OSU qb's. they seem to al have serious attitudes that may not translate being being a good on field leader.we know nothing about zwill except that douglas wanted him and that'll have to do for now.

9 hours ago, jgb said:

I have no opinion on Lance.  Never watched any of his games, know nothing about him.

Jets and Chicago are the only two teams to not have a 4,000-yard passer during the 16-game era. Sad.

I also preferred Fields. But projecting college QB play to pro play is the most difficult thing to do in sport. 

Love the last line, by the way. I still remember the wishing for Baker to fail vibes here a few years ago. That never made sense to me. Baker was off the board. If you want to pray for a QB to fail, it should at least be one the Jets actually passed over lol.

TL is not going to be a bust. He is the truth. But there's no rule that only one QB can succeed from a draft class. See: Mahomes/Watson. Anyway, he is irrelevant. He was always going #1 and JAX was not trading down.

Jets fans should be more worried about Lance/Fields/Jones becoming a superstar.

I tell you what, bust is a relative term and I meant he will not live up to expectations because expectations for him have already been unrealistic. That being said he will not be the perennial pro bowler that people think and I'm open to a wager that by the end of his rookie contract he will prove nothing more than average. $25.00 to each other's favorite charity perhaps?

That being said I felt the same way about him when we had the #1 pick so for me its not sour grapes. I do believe that Fields will be a good qb and lance I really just have no idea about. 

• Upvote 2