Jump to content

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I tell you what, bust is a relative term and I meant he will not live up to expectations because expectations for him have already been unrealistic. That being said he will not be the perennial pro bowler that people think and I'm open to a wager that by the end of his rookie contract he will prove nothing more than average. $25.00 to each other's favorite charity perhaps?

That being said I felt the same way about him when we had the #1 pick so for me its not sour grapes. I do believe that Fields will be a good qb and lance I really just have no idea about. 

I'm open for that. Say if he finishes top-16 in passer rating in 2 of his first 4 years, I win? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I NEED Mac Jones to fail or I will never be happy.

It will be very difficult for Mac Jones to succeed. His intangibles and football processor will need to be off the charts to compensate for his... erm... athletic gifts. And yes I know, there are outliers and Mac Jones could be one, but his road is a very narrow one. He better have a legendary work ethic.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgb said:

I'm open for that. Say if he finishes top-16 in passer rating in 2 of his first 4 years, I win? 

lol I'm thinking 3 out of 4....your option leaves room for him to be bottom 5  for 2 years and you still win. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

lol I'm thinking 3 out of 4....your option leaves room for him to be bottom 5  for 2 years and you still win. 

3 out of 4 is significantly above "nothing more than average." How about average passer rating years 2-4 above 16th or higher?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jgb said:

It will be very difficult for Mac Jones to succeed. His intangibles and football processor will need to be off the charts to compensate for his... erm... athletic gifts. And yes I know, there are outliers and Mac Jones could be one, but his road is a very narrow one. He better have a legendary work ethic.

I'm thinking his work ethic is questionable...

 

maxresdefault.jpg

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

done

caught me editing to say "16 or higher" but a bets a bet so above 16 it is.

Season 1 Netflix GIF

See how easy that is @kelticwizard when both sides are actually interested in an outcome that settles the premise of the bet?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, jgb said:

It will be very difficult for Mac Jones to succeed. His intangibles and football processor will need to be off the charts to compensate for his... erm... athletic gifts. And yes I know, there are outliers and Mac Jones could be one, but his road is a very narrow one. He better have a legendary work ethic.

He'd better not!

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The draft has come and gone - there's no more "loyalties" to anyone other than Zach Wilson now. He's our guy, and thus we are his bannermen. 

Beyond that, i'd say the whole class is looking good. Would be ideal for NFL entertainment, that they all develop in A+ starters. I much prefer watching dramatic QB duels, than searching for Pathos in Andy Dalton vs Teddy Bridgewater.

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Zach Wilson is going to be amazing because the NY Jets selected him.  If history can tell you anything, it tells you, we got our guy!

Fields?  He sucks.  Wont even beat out Dalton.  BUST!

T. Law?  Most overhyped, overrated player in the history of Football. Bust!

Mac Jones?  LMAO.   What an absolute joke.

Trey Lance?   He will make a great FB Juszcyk retires. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Zach Wilson is going to be amazing because the NY Jets selected him.  If history can tell you anything, it tells you, we got our guy!

Fields?  He sucks.  Wont even beat out Dalton.  BUST!

T. Law?  Most overhyped, overrated player in the history of Football. Bust!

Mac Jones?  LMAO.   What an absolute joke.

Trey Lance?   He will make a great FB Juszcyk retires. 

I think all of them can be successful

l Lawrence and Wilson were far above the others IMO. 49ers actually decided that the Jets would not take Wilson and lost the bet. According to Steve Young they were certain we would take Fields.

Other than  the Top two, the others have more question marks but all are solid prospects. I think by week 6 or earlier all of them are starting.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paradis said:

The draft has come and gone - there's no more "loyalties" to anyone other than Zach Wilson now. He's our guy, and thus we are his bannermen. 

Beyond that, i'd say the whole class is looking good. Would be ideal for NFL entertainment, that they all develop in A+ starters. I much prefer watching dramatic QB duels, than searching for Pathos in Andy Dalton vs Teddy Bridgewater.

 

Damn Teddy Bridgwater slander...that's dangerous around these parts. lol

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think all of them can be successful

l Lawrence and Wilson were far above the others IMO. 49ers actually decided that the Jets would not take Wilson and lost the bet. According to Steve Young they were certain we would take Fields.

Other than  the Top two, the others have more question marks but all are solid prospects. I think by week 6 or earlier all of them are starting.

There will be one stud of this draft and it will be the one the New York Jets selected. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

49ers actually decided that the Jets would not take Wilson and lost the bet. According to Steve Young they were certain we would take Fields.

I don’t believe this for a second. You don’t trade two future first rounds picks for a hope and a prayer. I suspect exactly the opposite; that they knew the Jets were taking Wilson, and with that they knew they’d get their guy at #3. 
 
They may’ve told Brigham Young’s great grandson something else, but that doesn’t make it true. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slats said:

I don’t believe this for a second. You don’t trade two future first rounds picks for a hope and a prayer. I suspect exactly the opposite; that they knew the Jets were taking Wilson, and with that they knew they’d get their guy at #3. 
 
They may’ve told Brigham Young’s great grandson something else, but that doesn’t make it true. 

I was positive that your interpretation was the correct one and it seemed to make a ton of situational sense, and it still might. But Steve Young was really hooked into the whole process and said this and Beck said something very very similar as well. No one will know for sure. We did a similar thing when we traded for Sam (ultimately) being OK with a couple choices.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I was positive that your interpretation was the correct one and it seemed to make a ton of situational sense, and it still might. But Steve Young was really hooked into the whole process and said this and Beck said something very very similar as well. No one will know for sure. We did a similar thing when we traded for Sam (ultimately) being OK with a couple choices.

I just think the ties between the two organizations, right now, are just too intertwined for SF not to know that the Jets were leaning Wilson (at the very least) when they traded up. It was an open secret by the time the draft rolled around. I don’t think Saleh or LaFluer would’ve lied to the 49ers if asked. They may’ve been a little coy, but there had to be a nod and a wink there. These guys are all about their relationships, and the Jets wouldn’t’ve really been risking anything at #2 if they announced the pick outright. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy, I was on the Fields train, and I still think Fields (on the field) was a better choice.  

However, my concerns are with how far Fields dropped, especially considering Lance went at 3 and there is just no way Lance performed better than Fields while playing.  That makes me really concerned about intangibles with Fields, like did some team think he just wasn't dedicated or smart enough?  Was he propped up by first round receivers in Wilson/Olave with a very good TE?  I think I would have held stronger if Fields didn't go by the Falcons/Panthers/Broncos/Lions/Eagles. 

Wilson has been growing on me solely because he seems like a film junkie that wants to prove himself.  We obviously don't have access to the football aptitude tests with him, but a lot of the chatter seem to indicate he's extremely bright when it comes to Xs & Os.  

I hope I'm dead wrong about Fields/Wilson prior to the draft, but it's all aboard the Wilson train now.  

Although I would temper expectations because Darnold had similar stories of him being great.  If I'm not mistake, Kollman made a video of him making reads against Washington in the pre-season game his rookie year (albeit he might be the kiss of death for QBs).   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t believe this for a second. You don’t trade two future first rounds picks for a hope and a prayer. I suspect exactly the opposite; that they knew the Jets were taking Wilson, and with that they knew they’d get their guy at #3. 
 
They may’ve told Brigham Young’s great grandson something else, but that doesn’t make it true. 

Well unless you are Macc trading a first and 3 two’s without even knowing or seemingly caring which QB fell to us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, win4ever said:

Boy, I was on the Fields train, and I still think Fields (on the field) was a better choice.  

However, my concerns are with how far Fields dropped, especially considering Lance went at 3 and there is just no way Lance performed better than Fields while playing.  That makes me really concerned about intangibles with Fields, like did some team think he just wasn't dedicated or smart enough?  Was he propped up by first round receivers in Wilson/Olave with a very good TE?  I think I would have held stronger if Fields didn't go by the Falcons/Panthers/Broncos/Lions/Eagles. 

Wilson has been growing on me solely because he seems like a film junkie that wants to prove himself.  We obviously don't have access to the football aptitude tests with him, but a lot of the chatter seem to indicate he's extremely bright when it comes to Xs & Os.  

I hope I'm dead wrong about Fields/Wilson prior to the draft, but it's all aboard the Wilson train now.  

Although I would temper expectations because Darnold had similar stories of him being great.  If I'm not mistake, Kollman made a video of him making reads against Washington in the pre-season game his rookie year (albeit he might be the kiss of death for QBs).   

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2021 at 10:54 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Interesting thing about sitting Lance is 

1.  Jimmy G is not the  most durable dude.  Lance will probably get some shots without having been anointed the #1 with all that pressure

2. He is the kind of QB they could have some package plays for that would actually be useful being used of the bench, unlike the typical #2 that just sits with his clipboard.  Guy is a truck running the ball. 

A better version of Colin Kaepernick. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, slats said:

I just think the ties between the two organizations, right now, are just too intertwined for SF not to know that the Jets were leaning Wilson (at the very least) when they traded up. It was an open secret by the time the draft rolled around. I don’t think Saleh or LaFluer would’ve lied to the 49ers if asked. They may’ve been a little coy, but there had to be a nod and a wink there. These guys are all about their relationships, and the Jets wouldn’t’ve really been risking anything at #2 if they announced the pick outright. 

Like I said that is what I believed as well and seems to make sense. The 49ers and Jets watched Zach together so I was sure that meant the 49ers made the trade knowing full well the Jets were taking Wilson. Not to mention the gigantic goofy grins Saleh and Douglas had during the throwing portion. But even at the time, it was said that the 49ers never called us, and then like I said Young and Beck seemed to indicate they thought they would get Wilson. On the other hand if Wilson was their #1 and the only other QB they really liked was Lance then the trade makes sense that way too.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2021 at 4:45 PM, slats said:

I just think the ties between the two organizations, right now, are just too intertwined for SF not to know that the Jets were leaning Wilson (at the very least) when they traded up. It was an open secret by the time the draft rolled around. I don’t think Saleh or LaFluer would’ve lied to the 49ers if asked. They may’ve been a little coy, but there had to be a nod and a wink there. These guys are all about their relationships, and the Jets wouldn’t’ve really been risking anything at #2 if they announced the pick outright. 

dont know about this, there is a video where Saleh was talking about the 49ers trade and said he was at lunch with the 49ers coach when everyone's phone started getting notifications and he found out about their trade up to 3 and he was like damn man you could have told me. 

I don't think they are sharing info no matter how much they are intertwined...they take draft secrets to the grave....or at least until draft day

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...