If you could guarantee the health of one Jets player for 2021 (other than Zach)

jgb

Health  

97 members have voted

1. 1. If you could guarantee one of these guys to have a full, healthy season, who would it be?

Was thinking Q but went with Mosely. Thinking is that we will have outside linebackers on the light side Need a stout middle backer when d line inevitably gives up a running lane Mosely will be there to make sure it doesn’t go for long gains 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

Was my first instinct but if this defense loses Q, we are likely looking at the #32 ranked D.

As opposed to something like the # 24-27 ranked D?  I can live with that. 

I know that we have Fant as an insurance policy at LT should Becton go down, but we really need to know that this guy has the ability to stay healthy.  Any missed time for Becton this year will provide huge long-term uncertainty at the 2nd most important position on the field.

Q, meanwhile, isn't an absolute necessity to being in the Jets' long-term future.  There's no universe where Quinnen Williams is an absolute must to return on a 2nd contract here.  But a LT, whether that's Becton or someone else the team drafts, needs to be brought back.  

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Was thinking Q but went with Mosely. Thinking is that we will have outside linebackers on the light side Need a stout middle backer when d line inevitably gives up a running lane Mosely will be there to make sure it doesn’t go for long gains 

This defense is 1-2 players away from being historically bad. Andrew Luck set the rookie record for pass attempts with 627. Wilson could actually threaten that if this defense doesn't outperform my expectation (plus an extra game helps)

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As opposed to something like the # 24-27 ranked D?  I can live with that. 

I know that we have Fant as an insurance policy at LT should Becton go down, but we really need to know that this guy has the ability to stay healthy.  Any missed time for Becton this year will provide huge long-term uncertainty at the 2nd most important position on the field.

Q, meanwhile, isn't an absolute necessity to being in the Jets' long-term future.  There's no universe where Quinnen Williams is an absolute must to return on a 2nd contract here.  But a LT, whether that's Becton or someone else the team drafts, needs to be brought back.  

Bechton is probably the smarter answer -- since the future is now inexorably linked to Wilson and an LT has a direct impact on Wilson.

I still think the drop off from losing Q is much, much bigger than from losing Bechton, which is why I chose that. 

The defense was never the priority this year. I assume we will address edge and corner next year. Yes if Quinnen goes down the defense will stink, but as we all know, this season is 90% about LaFleur, Wilson and his young weapons developing. A healthy Mekhi Becton is invaluable. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Mosley since he hasn’t played in 2 years. Becton is second but he’s only missed time in spurts.

Yea, don't count on Mosley being a productive player after 2 years of inactivity.

He's done.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Yea, don't count on Mosley being a productive player after 2 years of inactivity.

He's done.

Don’t think anyone is counting on anything out of him although it’s premature to call him done. We all have the same available data which is now stale 

I think Q is pretty firmly third - both behind Wilson (the gap) and Becton (then gap) - and ahead of whoever is fourth. Interior disruption is extraordinarily valuable, and Q had a great year last year. But my thought is is he’s done it for one year we’ve seen no less than three guys over the last decade get drafted by the Jets, flash that skill set, and flame out.

I’m looking for a long term piece at a premium position. It’s clearly Becton or Q but I value LT a little more highly and think Becton’s (smaller sample size) body of work when one the field is more consistent.

The most important thing that really pushes this over the edge is my question with Quinnen is whether he will continue on the trajectory he laid out last year and my question for Becton is will he stay healthy. If you’re answering health affirmatively for Becton…that’s my guy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I agree with Becton, but Q is a very close second. 

I do think Q is 2nd but I wouldn't say close 2nd.  I'm not concerned about the defense much at all this year.  The D will likely suck regardless, and that's OK.  We're several horses away from making this defense competitive, with next offseason likely being heavy on the defensive side of the ball.  A 1st round pick and several other key resources spent on pass rushers is going to be an absolute must.  

This year, meanwhile, is all about Zach Wilson, and Becton's health is a crucial part of that.  I only like Fant as an insurance policy but little more.  I don't want to see him out there for more than, say, 1 game this year.  I need Becton healthy for 16 or 17 games.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, PS17 said:

The defense was never the priority this year. I assume we will address edge and corner next year. Yes if Quinnen goes down the defense will stink, but as we all know, this season is 90% about LaFleur, Wilson and his young weapons developing. A healthy Mekhi Becton is invaluable. 

IDK about that.  The DL, and D in general, is where the Jets spent the bulk of their FA money.

Carl Lawson

Curry

Jarrad Davis

Justin Hardee

Lamarcus Joyner

Sheldon Rankins

If I'm not mistaken Lawson is the highest paid player on the team right now

The Jets certainly made the O the priority in the draft, but the D got ALOT of attention in FA.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Easy.  Becton.  

Yeah this is pretty much a no brainer but I was also thinking of someone not on the list that may play a huge part for the defense if he stays healthy Sheldon Rankins. This guy can disrupt the pocket and open things up for the outside rushers because its going to be real hard to single up on him or Q up the middle this may be the key to the defense if this guy gets it going

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, jgb said:

Was my first instinct but if this defense loses Q, we are likely looking at the #32 ranked D.

The DL has the best depth on the team obviously we don't want to lose Q but keep in mind Rankins is a beast so having both of them healthy will mean big problems for opposing QB's . Defense will be what wins games early in  the year because it takes offense a little longer to get going with so many young players and existing ones learning a new playbook along with a rookie QB.

• Upvote 1

The cascade effect of Becton being unavailable is not pleasing to think about.  Yes, Moses or Fant could slide over, but in either case, it downgrades the entire line in a young QB's rookie season when he needs every advantage to thrive.  Losing Q will hurt, but won't hurt Zach's development.  No brainer to me.

• Upvote 3

On 7/13/2021 at 3:03 PM, CSNY said:

Why would you want Mosely healthy?  I'm sure his maid can go get the Flamin' Hot Cheetos for him while he sits on the couch.

C.J. Mosley explains why he signed with the NY Jets

• Haha 1