Report: Jets not expected to reach deal with Maye

53 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's beyond unlikely that $8M/yr doesn't already include the signing bonus factored in. Nobody looks at contracts that way. 

I dont know, its beyond unlikely to me that if he actually got an $8M/yr included a $10-12 mil signing bonus.  That would mean they offered him a $4M/yr deal before the bonus.  Too a players reportedly asking for $14M/yr?  I mean if you want to pay him $4 and he asks for $14, why would you even bother with $8.5M including bonus $$?

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont know, its beyond unlikely to me that if he actually got an $8M/yr included a $10-12 mil signing bonus.  That would mean they offered him a $4M/yr deal before the bonus.  Too a players reportedly asking for $14M/yr?  I mean if you want to pay him $4 and he asks for $14, why would you even bother with $8.5M including bonus $$?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. But to clarify:

A contract for 3 years $24MM means the $24MM includes not just salary but also all signing bonuses, roster bonuses, option bonuses, workout bonuses, etc. over the life of the contract. It's not just the salary part you look at after the signing bonus.

There's been no leak of how much of the Jets (alleged 3 yr / $24MM) top offer would have been signing bonus. The only thing I think people are guessing is that perhaps the first 2 years ($16MM, if year 3 is $8MM) is guaranteed; but that's not the same thing as signing bonuses. All signing bonus is guaranteed, but not all guaranteed is in the form of a signing bonus. But years 2 & 3 would have been huge pay decreases, seeing how he's already locked in at $10.6MM for the upcoming season. That makes it really a further 2-year extension at $13.4MM, or under $7MM/yr. There's no way he was locking himself into that, even if another $5MM of it was guaranteed, since he'll still make that anyway unless he gets injured so badly he loses a foot or something.

Going rates for above average safeties have been at least $11MM as an amortized contract amount, particularly if the 2021 cap hadn't dropped due to covid. The newer franchise tag calculation is lower now than it used to be, so they get to tag him for over $3MM less than they'd have had to before. They've got a lot of young DB bodies and should have enough to fill an extra safety position by next year, plus they've got more than enough picks to take a safety in round 2 (+/- a round) to get a high talent starter at backup/reserve dollars. 

So I've got no issues paying the franchise amount for 1 year and then reassessing the position after the season. He's very solid, but between the youngsters they have now, the four top-60 picks they have next year, and/or FA in March before that, they'll be able to fill his one safety position (and they could extend him in March as well, if so desired). His age is of no concern to me, so I also would've been ok if they made an offer of a second year at ~$11MM, with half to all guaranteed (less being better), and then a 3rd and/or 4th year could be bloated fluff for all I care (since he'd only see it if he was elite), to bring the 3-4 yr average up to the $12-13MM range (but in effect is 2 yrs $22MM). It wouldn't tie the team to him that much more - one year - and the player's happy. But following spring camp they know what they've got & need better than I do, so I'll defer to their judgment on this. 

My only real objection is the potentially bad optics of still more unfulfilled promises, in that I hope Douglas isn't getting a reputation among players & agents that could bite the team back in coming off-seasons. Winning cures a lot of that (Pittsburgh and NE had famously been cheapskates for years, but players still want to sign and re-sign there because they're winners). No one wants to play for an over-thrifty loser, unless there aren't any other options offering up ballpark money. So if we fans are still rationalizing Jets' moral victories and the silver linings of seasons that earn still more top 6 draft picks, such a reputation could be a problem.

If you finish all this I can make more for you. :) 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

A contract for 3 years $24MM means the $24MM includes not just salary but also all signing bonuses, roster bonuses, option bonuses, workout bonuses, etc. over the life of the contract. It's not just the salary part you look at after the signing bonus.

There's been no leak of how much of the Jets (alleged 3 yr / $24MM) top offer would have been signing bonus. The only thing I think people are guessing is that perhaps the first 2 years ($16MM, if year 3 is $8MM) is guaranteed; but that's not the same thing as signing bonuses. All signing bonus is guaranteed, but not all guaranteed is in the form of a signing bonus. But years 2 & 3 would have been huge pay decreases, seeing how he's already locked in at $10.6MM for the upcoming season. That makes it really a further 2-year extension at $13.4MM, or under $7MM/yr. There's no way he was locking himself into that, even if another $5MM of it was guaranteed, since he'll still make that anyway unless he gets injured so badly he loses a foot or something.

Going rates for above average safeties have been at least $11MM as an amortized contract amount, particularly if the 2021 cap hadn't dropped due to covid. The newer franchise tag calculation is lower now than it used to be, so they get to tag him for over $3MM less than they'd have had to before. They've got a lot of young DB bodies and should have enough to fill an extra safety position by next year, plus they've got more than enough picks to take a safety in round 2 (+/- a round) to get a high talent starter at backup/reserve dollars. 

So I've got no issues paying the franchise amount for 1 year and then reassessing the position after the season. He's very solid, but between the youngsters they have now, the four top-60 picks they have next year, and/or FA in March before that, they'll be able to fill his one safety position (and they could extend him in March as well, if so desired). His age is of no concern to me, so I also would've been ok if they made an offer of a second year at ~$11MM, with half to all guaranteed (less being better), and then a 3rd and/or 4th year could be bloated fluff for all I care (since he'd only see it if he was elite), to bring the 3-4 yr average up to the $12-13MM range (but in effect is 2 yrs $22MM). It wouldn't tie the team to him that much more - one year - and the player's happy. But following spring camp they know what they've got & need better than I do, so I'll defer to their judgment on this. 

My only real objection is the potentially bad optics of still more unfulfilled promises, in that I hope Douglas isn't getting a reputation among players & agents that could bite the team back in coming off-seasons. Winning cures a lot of that (Pittsburgh and NE had famously been cheapskates for years, but players still want to sign and re-sign there because they're winners). No one wants to play for an over-thrifty loser, unless there aren't any other options offering up ballpark money. So if we fans are still rationalizing Jets' moral victories and the silver linings of seasons that earn still more top 6 draft picks, such a reputation could be a problem.

In a contract year Maye played well….. not great. Our coach, offense and player talent surrounding him did not help. The tag keeps him hungry, protects the Jets from over-committing to a non-premium position and allows us the opportunity to start playing the “comp-pick” game with Maye, Fatukasi, Crowder, Cole, Shepherd, JFM, Phillips and Moses. We may land a few extra picks next year. Moses may bring us a 3rd if we don’t go crazy in FA. The others rounds  5-7

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

My only real objection is the potentially bad optics of still more unfulfilled promises, in that I hope Douglas isn't getting a reputation among players & agents that could bite the team back in coming off-seasons. Winning cures a lot of that (Pittsburgh and NE had famously been cheapskates for years, but players still want to sign and re-sign there because they're winners). No one wants to play for an over-thrifty loser, unless there aren't any other options offering up ballpark money.

The Jets have a long running reputation in this regard, regardless of who the GM is. They’ve paid big money for other teams’ free agents and low-balled and/or let go of their own. It is part of the culture that I’m sure JD would like to change, but giving an above average 28-year-old safety big money isn’t the place to change that perception. This is a young team by design and Maye is a bridge player. He’s not in their long term plans but is important in the short term, and he’s getting paid. 

This is a huge year for Fatusaki and Herndon. With big seasons, those are two guys I could see getting paid to stay.  

The following year QW is up, then Becton the year after that. These guys play well, they’ll get paid, and the cheap reputation will start to evaporate. 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

This is a huge year for Fatusaki and Herndon

With Fatukasi playing limited snaps (run situations mostly) i think he’s better off taking a deal with a 3-4 team. 

Id still be hesitant with Herndon. Even if he has a good season, will the effort remain after he gets his deal?

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

With Fatukasi playing limited snaps (run situations mostly) i think he’s better off taking a deal with a 3-4 team. 

Id still be hesitant with Herndon. Even if he has a good season, will the effort remain after he gets his deal?

They’ll have to weigh their options, obviously, but those are the next guys I could see getting paid here. The way JD operates, Herndon would probably be offered a three year deal and, if he plays well over the course of that deal, he’d be in line for another payday at 28. I think that would keep him motivated. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, slats said:

They’ll have to weigh their options, obviously, but those are the next guys I could see getting paid here. The way JD operates, Herndon would probably be offered a three year deal and, if he plays well over the course of that deal, he’d be in line for another payday at 28. I think that would keep him motivated. 

4 picks in the top 60. I think Herndon is offered a Maye type deal. JD doesn’t overpay. Herndon isn’t the prototypical blocker the zone scheme requires IMO. I think JD drafts our future TE and Herndon takes more money elsewhere. 
I personally like the TE out of ND, but there are other talented hard working TE prospects coming out. 

5 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets have a long running reputation in this regard, regardless of who the GM is. They’ve paid big money for other teams’ free agents and low-balled and/or let go of their own. It is part of the culture that I’m sure JD would like to change, but giving an above average 28-year-old safety big money isn’t the place to change that perception. This is a young team by design and Maye is a bridge player. He’s not in their long term plans but is important in the short term, and he’s getting paid. 

This is a huge year for Fatusaki and Herndon. With big seasons, those are two guys I could see getting paid to stay.  

The following year QW is up, then Becton the year after that. These guys play well, they’ll get paid, and the cheap reputation will start to evaporate. 

I wasn’t at all suggesting they had to ante up huge (per alone top 5 safety $) for Maye. More that Douglas went out of his way publicly fawning what a priority it was to get a contract done to lock him up, that it was nonsense, and it’s starting to look like a pattern.

That’s more the reputation I was referring to, not some arbitrary, self imposed rule some feel we must adhere to, about taking care of one’s own drafted players even to the point of the team’s detriment. 

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I wasn’t at all suggesting they had to ante up huge (per alone top 5 safety $) for Maye. More that Douglas went out of his way publicly fawning what a priority it was to get a contract done to lock him up, that it was nonsense, and it’s starting to look like a pattern.

That’s more the reputation I was referring to, not some arbitrary, self imposed rule some feel we must adhere to, about taking care of one’s own drafted players even to the point of the team’s detriment. 

So you could want a contract done but if the player want's much more then you want to spend that's on JD?? How about they just disagree on the players worth??

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

So you could want a contract done but if the player want's much more then you want to spend that's on JD?? How about they just disagree on the players worth??

I said and alluded to nothing of the sort. 

Wanting a contract extension done at under $7MM/year = not really wanting a contract extension done. 

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I said and alluded to nothing of the sort. 

Wanting a contract extension done at under $7MM/year = not really wanting a contract extension done. 

Look at the deal Logan Ryan got from the Giants. Older than Maye, signed a three year deal there. That would have been a fair market value offer. Certainly not what JD offered. And considering his glowing comments about Maye and wanting a deal done. A 4th yr option could have been offered with incentives. Douglas wants Maye here this year to show all these young guys the ropes. Doubt he'd franchise him again next year.

10 minutes ago, genot said:

Look at the deal Logan Ryan got from the Giants. Older than Maye, signed a three year deal there. That would have been a fair market value offer. Certainly not what JD offered. And considering his glowing comments about Maye and wanting a deal done. A 4th yr option could have been offered with incentives. Douglas wants Maye here this year to show all these young guys the ropes. Doubt he'd franchise him again next year.

It's a new defensive system what rope was he going to show them??

21 minutes ago, genot said:

Logan Ryan also plays CB, a premium position, making him a versatile high level talent.  I don’t think anyone would have a problem with giving a player the contract that Ryan got to another CB of his talent level or versatility.  Pure Safety is a whole different can of worms.  Honestly, even I would give him that contract.  That said, I don’t think Maye wants that though.  This is his first and, probably, only chance for a big pay day because of his age.  I don’t blame Maye for chasing it at all.  However, I don’t blame the Jets for not wanting to give a Safety on the back end of his career a 11-13 million dollar per year deal when they could just tag him another year and let him walk for a comp pick as he enters his 30’s or trade him.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

It's a new defensive system what rope was he going to show them??

Read coach Saleh's comments about Maye. It's the way he studies film, the way he prepares during the week. Knowing other teams tendencies. 

18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Logan Ryan also plays CB, a premium position, making him a versatile high level talent.  I don’t think anyone would have a problem with giving a player the contract that Ryan got to another CB of his talent level or versatility.  Pure Safety is a whole different can of worms.  Honestly, even I would give him that contract.  That said, I don’t think Maye wants that though.  This is his first and, probably, only chance for a big pay day because of his age.  I don’t blame Maye for chasing it at all.  However, I don’t blame the Jets for not wanting to give a Safety on the back end of his career a 11-13 million dollar per year deal when they could just tag him another year and let him walk for a comp pick as he enters his 30’s or trade him.

Im sorry that im on the players side here. I know that that accepts some people. If your offer was going to be unacceptable to Maye, they should have let him test the free agent waters. Players earn that right after a certain length of service.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

However, I don’t blame the Jets for not wanting to give a Safety on the back end of his career a 11-13 million dollar per year deal when they could just tag him another year and let him walk for a comp pick as he enters his 30’s or trade him.

Mogglez, what do you or @football guy hear about current rostered players on the fence or some trades in the making. 

24 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He was signed by the Giants to play safety, and he took all his snaps there. A new position for him. They couldn't offer Maye a similar deal. Cmon. 

6 minutes ago, genot said:

Im sorry that im on the players side here. I know that that accepts some people. If your offer was going to be unacceptable to Maye, they should have let him test the free agent waters. Players earn that right after a certain length of service.

I didn’t say I was upset.  I’m simply pointing out and adding on to what someone else has already said: Joe Douglas’ job is to do everything for the betterment of the team, not to make sure that he doesn’t hurt Maye’s feelings.  Maye is, likely, going to find out the hard way that the NFL is still a business and this business doesn’t value his position highly; especially when you’re up there in age.  

Here is how I honestly see this playing out of the Jets can’t lock him up to a team friendly contract:  Maye is going to play this year on the tag and he will, likely, get tagged again next year.  He’ll make a fuss, just like Adams, and request a trade.  The Jets will either tell him to kick rocks or trade him to some team that believes they are one or two pieces away from a championship.  Just like Adams, this team will trade for him and tell him “play this year under the tag, and we’ll revisit this after the year, we promise.”  Once the time comes for them to negotiate they, just like the Jets, will only sign him to a team friendly contract or let him walk for a comp pick.  Maye will then be in the same exact position he would have been had he just stayed with the Jets, just another year older.  Jamal Adams is currently going through this with Seattle.  Think about that.  The Safety position is so unimportant to teams that Seattle traded 2 firsts and third + a player for a guy that they STILL may choose to let walk instead of doubling down and signing him to a market setting contract.  A player who is better than Maye AND younger.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, genot said:

He was signed by the Giants to play safety, and he took all his snaps there. A new position for him. They couldn't offer Maye a similar deal. Cmon. 

Did you miss the part where I said that I would give that same deal to Maye but, given what know so far, Maye likely wants north of what Ryan got?

18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Did you miss the part where I said that I would give that same deal to Maye but, given what know so far, Maye likely wants north of what Ryan got?

Well that's where negotiations come in. My problem is Douglas never intended on a give and take to reach a deal that could make both parties happy. He had that extension offer, and it was take it or leave it.

12 minutes ago, genot said:

Well that's where negotiations come in. My problem is Douglas never intended on a give and take to reach a deal that could make both parties happy. He had that extension offer, and it was take it or leave it.

They’ve negotiated for a while now.  Douglas has a number he thinks Maye is worth, given that he has all of this leverage and doesn’t have to cave to any sort of demands, and Maye has his number.  Even if what you believe regarding Douglas’ offer is true, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a take or leave it offer.  The team is not obligated to give Maye anything since they can just tag him again.  This is a business.  You don’t mix emotions with negotiations.

19 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They’ve negotiated for a while now.  Douglas has a number he thinks Maye is worth, given that he has all of this leverage and doesn’t have to cave to any sort of demands, and Maye has his number.  Even if what you believe regarding Douglas’ offer is true, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a take or leave it offer.  The team is not obligated to give Maye anything since they can just tag him again.  This is a business.  You don’t mix emotions with negotiations.

You don't agree that if the take it or leave it offer was 20% below the franchise tender it was an offer below what his market value would have been if he was allowed to hit FA.

29 minutes ago, genot said:

You don't agree that if the take it or leave it offer was 20% below the franchise tender it was an offer below what his market value would have been if he was allowed to hit FA.

That’s not what I said at all.  What I said was that the Jets control Marcus for this year and the next two years if they really want to, so they are not obligated whatsoever to give him anything, let alone a lucrative long-term deal if they don’t believe it is in the best long-term interest of the team.  If they believe that offering him a “take it or leave it” deal that is 20% below the franchise tender is the only long-term deal they feel he is worth, given that they have total control regardless, than so be it.  There’s nothing Maye can do about it other than request a trade, and I already explained what I believe will happen should he do such a thing.  The honest truth that I already outlined is that Maye is probably never going to get a lucrative long-term deal from anyone under the current CBA rules.  He’s older and the league doesn’t value his position that highly.  He’ll probably play on two franchise tags with the Jets, sign a mid-range two year contract with us or someone else, and bounce around on 1-2 year deals after that.

26 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The honest truth that I already outlined is that Maye is probably never going to get a lucrative long-term deal from anyone under the current CBA rules.  He’s older and the league doesn’t value his position that highly.  He’ll probably play on two franchise tags with the Jets, sign a mid-range two year contract with us or someone else, and bounce around on 1-2 year deals after that.

2 hours ago, genot said:

Logan Ryan also plays CB, a premium position, making him a versatile high level talent.  I don’t think anyone would have a problem with giving a player the contract that Ryan got to another CB of his talent level or versatility.  Pure Safety is a whole different can of worms

Contract Notes

Logan Ryan signed a 3 year extension with the New York Giants on December 25, 2020. Details courtesy of Dan Duggan of The Athletic. Ryan's 3 year extension is valued at $30 million with $11.5 million fully guaranteed at signing, and additional $8.5 million injury guarantee in 2022. Ryan's 2020 cash increases by $6 million and cap charge increases by $1.5 due to the $6 million signing bonus. Details are unknown if the 2022 injury guarantee vests into a full guarantee or not.

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

4 picks in the top 60. I think Herndon is offered a Maye type deal. JD doesn’t overpay. Herndon isn’t the prototypical blocker the zone scheme requires IMO. I think JD drafts our future TE and Herndon takes more money elsewhere. 
I personally like the TE out of ND, but there are other talented hard working TE prospects coming out. 

Are you talking about Tremble or Baby Gronk. M Mayer is going to be an all pro TE. If he comes out and is there in 2nd round, I run to the podium. 

22 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I love your posts Sperm. 

I'm known for my love for stats but you have a passion for salary cap and contracts I always look forward to them too thnx for the time and knowledge you put into them because I'm completely lost on team salary 99.9% of the time.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

And what is given that we know so far? From what's been leaked (assuming it's true):

1. Maye has a contract for 1 year at $10.6MM. (All salary, and all exclusively for the 2021 season alone; any extension talks were effectively for 2022 and beyond.)

2. Maye rejected a team offer of a 2 year $13.4MM ($6.7MM/yr) extension past 2021.

Absent a total facepalm of a 2021 season, I think it's unlikely Maye will be in for any "rude awakening" you alluded to where he finds none of the league's safety-needy teams would ante up more than that (if not much more).

There are presently 6 safeties with contracts of $14MM/yr or more. Then there are at least 4 more likely to be around or above that level in Adams, Minkah Fitz, Derwin James, and Marcus Williams. Also possibly Peppers, Savage, and more when their opportunities arise (they'll get more than $8MM/year). The going rate for an above average veteran safety FA in his prime clearly isn't $8MM. I don't personally value non-omg safeties in that $14MM range, but it's hard to deny many teams do.

I'd rather they just tagged him and left it at that, with no preseason promises of working out a (fair market) extension. Easy enough to rationalize with a new coaching staff coming in. The player may not like it, but it's clear he really despises the route they did take.

This doesn't seem like real life to me people turning down like 8-9-10M per year because they want 12-14M per year?

It's true Jets fans. We love our team more than they do. They lose? It ruins our Sunday's. Them? They get into their $1M car and go home to a $100M home. Most of these guys don't even wanna be bothered.

I just wanna celebrate with my older brother 1 time like my Grandpa told us stories how he celebrated over Namath when he was alive and then just be done with this crap. I'll still watch but I won't give two flying pigs if we lose anymore.

I wish I were a kid again. 1998. Denver. 13 years old. Real life tears came to my eyes. 2009 I was 24. Indy. I threw the remote into my big screen out of frustration I was 100% sure me and my big brother the man who raised me were gonna celebrate going to the SB. Why did I fkn do that to my TV? I never did it again. 

And I don't even know why I stick up for Revis like I do. He wouldn't even sign my autograph when I was in my 20s I went to a Bucs preseason game. Didn't even go to the game. Just hung out by the bus with a football and my Jets hat. 1st year he was a Buccaneers. After the game he walked right past me into the bus. I was begging him for 30 seconds telling him he's my favorite Jets player ever plz sign. He looked at me. Smirked. And got onto the bus. Didn't care. I waited with my wife who doesn't even like football for over an hour. Yo. I felt like a fkn loser on the ride from Tampa back to St Pete I didn't even know what to say to her sorry for dragging you out here with me I was so disappointed I threw my Jets hat and football out the window and into the Tampa Bay and never spent my $ on a hat again. 

I celebrate Zach Wilson. Elijah Moore. I stick up for Becton and QW. I loved Jamal Adams DWC. Heck even my own Jets fan base hates my long novels when all I'm trying to do is live my childhood through sports again everytime I read these contract threads makes me realize how much time effort and energy I've wasted over the years on rich men who just want more money but probably wouldn't sign my 10 year old daughters autograph if they're in a bad mood. 

Sorry 4 the rant couldn't sleep tonight hopefully we win the SB this year so I can finally retire from wanting to "win".