Report: Jets not expected to reach deal with Maye

Just now, Lith said:

Just going to wait and see how this plays out over the next 48 hours.  Sounds like his agent is leaking this stuff - I don't like when players/agents negotitate in the press, but that is what seems to be happening.  Deal may still get done -- a lot can get done in the next two days.

Not going to sweat it either way.

You have not been paying attention to how Joe D operates if you think he has any intention of signing Maye to a deal.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Just going to wait and see how this plays out over the next 48 hours.  Sounds like his agent is leaking this stuff - I don't like when players/agents negotitate in the press, but that is what seems to be happening.  Deal may still get done -- a lot can get done in the next two days.

Not going to sweat it either way.

Agreed. I also feel like JD has shown very strong discipline throughout his tenure here, so I don’t feel like those kind of tactics are particularly effective. Seems like they have a number in mind and aren’t willing to budge from it. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Agreed. I also feel like JD has shown very strong discipline throughout his tenure here, so I don’t feel like those kind of tactics are particularly effective. Seems like they have a number in mind and aren’t willing to budge from it. 

There is no number in mind.  They dont want him long term.  They sent him a lowball offer they knew he would never accept.  Now their hands are clean because, "They offered but Marcus did not take it".

Because Maye is a leader and has been here awhile, you have to put on this charade.  But Joe D has 0 intentions of giving maye a long term deal and he is 100% correct in that.

We have 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds next year to draft a kid younger, cheaper and better then Maye.  It would be moronic to give maye a deal.

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

No surprise, if Maye was looking for any deal over 3 years Douglas wasn't
going to bite.  At 28 it makes too much sense to tag Maye twice for around
$22 million and then let him go.  Tough business

22 mill over 2 years.  Poor guy.  We should start a gofundme page to help him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Ian tweeted about how other teams approached Maye’s camp and made significantly better offers.  Tampering charges incoming?  I’m sure those teams will be thrilled with Erik Burkhardt blowing up their spot.

I don't think it's tampering because teams can offer Maye a contract under the franchise tag but they'd have to give up first round picks if the Jets don't match the offer.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Douglas is not in any rush to overpay a safety. Good for him. We finally have a GM who seems to get it. 

Not giving an extension to a 29 year old safety. Bravo. Tag him this year and maybe next too if needed. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't think it's tampering because teams can offer Maye a contract under the franchise tag but they'd have to give up first round picks if the Jets don't match the offer.

Looked into it.  Turns out the Jets used the non-exclusive franchise tag so, yes, you are correct.  No tampering.  Carry on, lol.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

This is the problem when you are a 24 year old rookie, by the time you are no longer under team control you are 30 years old.  His value takes a hit due to his age.  

This.

another reason why Macc’s pick of Maye after having Jamal fall on his lap made ZERO logic.

Dalvin Cook says hello

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

This.

another reason why Macc’s pick of Maye after having Jamal fall on his lap made ZERO logic.

Dalvin Cook says hello

Mahomes and cook versus Adams and Maye awesome job Macc 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

Would hate to lose him. Solid player. We need all the good ones we can get! 

He's also 28 (turns 29 in March) and no better than the 4th best Safety from his draft class.  Two important considerations when negotiating.   

No reason we absolutely need to lose him after the 2021 season, either.  Tag him again in 2022 and effectively you'd end up having given him a 2-year extension.  He'd still end up a relative bargain that year given how low top Safety salaries are compared to other positions.  Then you let him hit free agency, by which time he'd be 30.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Why publicly praise the guy and state he's part of the plan , tell everyone we will pay him , and then dont get it done?

Because that's what good GM's do.  Lie.  Remember when Douglas wanted Jamal Adams to be a Jet for life?  And how the plan was for Darnold to be the team's QB in 2021?

Why do some people always seem to have a problem with this when it comes to Douglas?  Do they not want the Jets to be a well run organization or something?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

JD has made some solid moves as of late....

But do we really gotta nickel and dime another guy? 

It's not "nickel and diming" if the 2 sides are several million per year off in their negotiations.  

And yes, EVERY player needs to be nickeled and dimed in this business.  Unless the salary cap goes away that will always be the case.  Generous franchises are bad franchises.  

• Upvote 3

He will regret holding out or not performing at 100% this year… then no team will pay him.

Smart move IMO you get a good year out of a 28 year old that 2 years ago people were saying trade and keep Adams because Maye can’t stay healthy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

So taking them  back to back in the 1st and 2nd round in the draft is not a good idea?

They got back two firsts and a third and had some solid safety play in the meantime. Not too shabby! 

Also, yeah, I like Marcus Maye and all, but I’m cool with him making $10M to play on the tag this year. Hard to cry about that being unfair. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, slats said:

They got back two firsts and a third and had some solid safety play in the meantime. Not too shabby! 

Also, yeah, I like Marcus Maye and all, but I’m cool with him making $10M to play on the tag this year. Hard to cry about that being unfair. 

That deal was the equivalent of hitting the lottery. “ All you need is a malcontent box safety and a dream!” 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1