Report: Jets not expected to reach deal with Maye

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

Oh and also Marcus Maye has stopped following the Jets on social media

Relations are ”not in a good place”

0B8F4A4F-59E5-4DF6-B325-29811A39F59D.png

I wouldn’t put much credibility into the numbers that other teams might have been discussing with Maye.  They were NEVER going to actually offer Maye a deal, they were throwing out numbers just to make the Jets negotiations harder.  

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Maye is a transition girl. Good for the moment, but not part of the long term plan. They'll get what they can out of him, he'll get paid charmingly, and both parties will move on next year. They aren't going to load up a contract at safety knowing they'll have to pay other more important players soon enough, unless it's a team friendly contract. Safety is a short term mercenary position not a corner stone build around position.   

You can never have enough safeties. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, SR24 said:

It makes no sense to pay a 28yr old safety $12+mil/yr over 3 years when you can tag him twice and be done when he turns 30. Love Maye don’t get me wrong but it’s just not a smart move to pay him big money 

I don't disagree but at some point we will need to start paying 2nd contracts to some of our players. Maye plays safety so having high production on a 3 year contract is bot unlikely. I would think maybe NLTBE incentives might be the way to go maybe with a fully void able 4th year so Mayes team can declare victory but JD seeks to not roll like that

• Upvote 2

For all this talk about how maye is this great locker room guy and leader, the minute he didnt get his way he unfollows the jets and his agents start whining.  

A true leader would have accepted the situation for what it is, realizes this is a business and be grateful that this organization is giving him 10 mil this year.

Maye is no leader, does not give a crap about this team and for that, I am glad Joe D wants no part of him long term.  Hes been exposed.  When the going gets rough, hes the 1st off the ship.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

16 hours ago, Claymation said:

I hope Marcus didn't overplay his hand. 

It's a young man's game, draftees are faster and cheaper. 

I think you’re absolutely correct. JD doesn’t care for any drama: see Jamal. While Maye is nowhere near the drama queen Jamal was, he’s pushing his luck with JD and JD just slammed the door shut. Odds on Maye getting traded before the season opener? It’s not like we dont have his replacement on the team already. We have like 9 safeties that could step right in. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

For all this talk about how maye is this great locker room guy and leader, the minute he didnt get his way he unfollows the jets and his agents start whining.  

A true leader would have accepted the situation for what it is, realizes this is a business and be grateful that this organization is giving him 10 mil this year.

Maye is no leader, does give a crap about this team and for that, I am glad Joe D wants no part of him long term.  Hes been exposed.  When the going gets rough, hes the 1st off the ship.

I realize dude is a good safety but ever since he got  that pick and ran out of gas before making it to end zone I have zero ability to convince myself I care if he stays or go’s. Just a weird thing. 

59 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Its almost like you don't draft two safeties back-to-back when you need a QB, and then don't even think about paying them big bucks because you can always find a replacement in the draft.

Was just thinking this, the only thing worse than taking safeties in rounds 1 and 2 are overpaying them.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, slats said:

They got back two firsts and a third and had some solid safety play in the meantime. Not too shabby! 

Also, yeah, I like Marcus Maye and all, but I’m cool with him making $10M to play on the tag this year. Hard to cry about that being unfair. 

Yes, we were much better off with Jamal then we would have been with Mahomes, Watson, or McCaffrey...

38 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Allen Robinson is a much better player then maye and is handling his franchise tag situation like a true leader.  Look at some of these quotes:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/allen-robinson-remains-stuck-franchise-210500681.html

Maye is a fraud and has shown his true colors.  Joe D made the right move by not wanting him here long term.

Allen Robinson played with Hackenburg in college, Blake Bortles in Jacksonville, Trubisky in Chicago and has managed to be be great despite never having even a good QB. If anyone has a right to whine and complain about how he has been treated it is Robinson. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Allen Robinson played with Hackenburg in college, Blake Bortles in Jacksonville, Trubisky in Chicago and has managed to be be great despite never having even a good WR. If anyone has a right to whine and complain about how he has been treated it is Robinson. 

Exactly.  Robinson is a true leader.  Maye is acting like a child by unfollowing the Jets.  

Thank you again Joe Douglas for knowing that maye is not the type of player we want around here long term.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Exactly.  Robinson is a true leader.  Maye is acting like a child by unfollowing the Jets.  

Thank you again Joe Douglas for knowing that maye is not the type of player we want around here long term.

Egg-Zactly.  I understand fully and can relate that employees want to be compensated fairly for the work they do, and compensated more than others if their performance/contribution is greater.  Regardless,  there is no cause or excuse to act out like a fool.  State your position & negotiate as you should, but do so as a professional, not a petulant child. Remember, these "kids" are all college boys.  Even if they leave a year sooner, they must have at least taken "Time To Grow Up 101"

17 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You have not been paying attention to how Joe D operates if you think he has any intention of signing Maye to a deal.

I am sure JD has a price in mind.  As does Maye.  Many negotiations (sports and others) come together at the last minute.  Either there is some common ground between what JD is willing to pay and what Maye is willing to accept, or there is not.  We will know tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall during these negotiations!! I would love to know exactly what Maye's camp is looking for because, quite honestly, resigning Maye feels like a MUST for where this team is right now. 

Adams was a completely different situation. That cancer needed to go. Maye is the complete opposite of Adams as a professional in every possible way. Not only is he one of our very few good players, he is a leader in that locker room and everything you hear about the guy, it's easy to see why he was voted team MVP. 

I want to know what Maye is asking for because outside of it being an Adam's-like demand, he needs to be resigned! Outside of demanding to be the highest paid safety over the next 6 years, resigning him is a must and there is no excuse for not getting it done! This roster has very little talent. Not only is Maye on the short list of talent on this team, right now he is literally the only known, dependable member of the entire secondary. With Quinnen and Mosley, Maye gives us an above average talent on every level of the defense. 

Even after free agency, we are still among the top of the league in cap space and we are projected to be among the top in cap space next year even AFTER the cap goes up significantly! On top of the cap space, outside of QWill, we have no one coming up worth resigning. Because we don't have any stars at premium positions, this team is in a place where it completely has the flexibility to be able to spend premium money on a safety for the next couple seasons.  RESIGN MARCUS MAYE FOR F*CK SAKE!! 

Give the man a 3 or even 4 year extension and front load the hell out of it. Give him a salary that matches Simmon's avg over the 1st and 2nd year and it will do nothing to hinder the continued building of this roster over that time. Hell, since Maye is pretty old to be coming off his rookie salary, maybe he thinks he's got another pay day in him. If that's the case, give him a 2 year deal and guarantee the sh*t out of it lol. To be honest, I don't give a sh*t, JUST GET IT DONE!! Don't repeat the mistake made with Anderson. WE HAVE THE MONEY AND NEXT TO ZERO HOMEGROWN TALENT TO RETAIN!!! 

Please, PLEASE get this done!? I really do trust JD and love 95% of what he's done, but if I watch Maye walk after this season for the hope of a comp pick, I'm going to be very, very unhappy and will almost certainly start to question his decisions as it pertains to his use of cap space. I don't mind the fact that he stays true to the value he places on a player and is disciplined when it comes to not "overpaying" and sticking to what he believes someone is worth. As a matter of fact, I think that's absolutely an asset. However, that inflexibility when it comes to spending can go from an asset to a HUGE hindrance if you're being CHEAP and that number in his head, the number he refuses to go above is consistently less than what it takes to sign or resign talent. I didn't mind trading Leo Williams - He never lived up to what he was drafted to be here (although imagine him inside next to Q!). I LOVED trading Adams - I fu*king hate Jamal Adams. I was disappointed at not resigning Anderson for what he eventually signed for, but far from losing sleep over it. I could just never get over how freaking dumb the man was and I doubted his ability to be a complete WR. In hindsight, he should have been kept but far from the end of the world. Those 3 I was okay with but at some point, you need to start holding onto the little talent this team has and it needs to start with Maye!!!! 

Get it done Tann - My bad, wrong era... Stop dicking around and SIGN THE FU*KING MAN JOEY D!!!!!! 

8 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

With how frugal he is, I absolutely can't see JD doing that. Doesn't the 2nd franchise tag go up to the rate for QBs? 

Franchising him this year made all the sense in the world because of how low the tag number is for safeties and we ended up tagging him for probably at least 4 mil less than he's asking for. 

If we absolutely can't get Maye resigned either because his demands are Adams-like or JD is being cheap (what I fear the problem is) I can't see him keeping him for just another year at the cost of that tag next year. 

IF he is willing to pay that amount, I can't understand why you don't extend him and front load the hell out of it - Which is what I've been yelling for JD to do in this situation. Give him a 3 or 4 year extension and give him 75% of the contract in the first 2 years. You could give him a total salary of 16-17 mil (or whatever it takes, tbh) in his 1st and 2nd year and not hinder rebuilding this roster one bit. We have the money right now, pay him!

7 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

This is exactly what I've been afraid of. If this is true it's absolutely disgusting and this would be the first move (or non move) of JDs that I adamantly hate. His tag number is 11 something, right? So you mean to tell me that JD holding firm to an offer that could possibly average less than 10 a year?! 

If this is true, it's absolutely negligent on the part of JD! And that's coming from one of his biggest supporters to this point. In all seriousness, if this is actually true I might seriously start to give some thought to the whole, "JD makes moves to save Woody money" conspiracy BS lol. Losing Maye because of sticking to that kind of cheap-a$$, lowball offer while we continue to sit on all this cap space would be fu*king criminal 

He turns 29 in March and is no better than the 4th-best Safety from his own draft class.  Relax, lol.  We'll survive without Maye here in 2022 (or 2023 if we tag him again).

• Upvote 1

Maye- 28yrs old, 6 Ints 22PD and 266 tackles through 54 games

John Johnson- 25yrs old, 8ints 32pd and 350 tackles through 54 games. Just signed for 3yr/$33mil a year with Cleveland.

Why does Maye think he’s worth $12+ mil? When the guy who’s 3 years younger and better didn’t even get that 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I don't disagree but at some point we will need to start paying 2nd contracts to some of our players. Maye plays safety so having high production on a 3 year contract is bot unlikely. I would think maybe NLTBE incentives might be the way to go maybe with a fully void able 4th year so Mayes team can declare victory but JD seeks to not roll like that

At some point, yes, and that's coming.  First it will be Quinnen Williams, then Mekhi Becton, then, hopefully, Zach Wilson.  

You don't pay players just because you don't have anyone worth paying at the moment.  Maye simply isn't worth paying big money in this system.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

At some point, yes, and that's coming.  First it will be Quinnen Williams, then Mekhi Becton, then, hopefully, Zach Wilson.  

You don't pay players just because you don't have anyone worth paying at the moment.  Maye simply isn't worth paying big money in this system.  

Agree, but I would pay good money with incentives and maybe back end funny money to keep him and show the team we will commit long term. But I would not pay him big money just like I wouldn't pay Jamal.

5 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Dude this is almost the same post you just made

I know. But come on man. How many times have Jamal critics made the same posts about Adams 24/7? This is just my way of giving Marcus Maye the Jamal Adams treatment. 

I've never been a fan of Marcus Maye. And it's just funny to me how he's doing the same things Adams did this punk even unfollowed our Jets on SOCIAL MEDIA MEDIA ?

The only difference? JD won't be able to unload everyone's favorite Marcus Maye for two 1st round picks + a 3rd and I don't think we'd even be able to receive a 3rd for a soon to 30 year old Safety who's only got 6 career INTs as a FREE SAFETY because, well; he's just not very good. I'd take a 5th and be happy to finally get rid of him.

Unfollowed us on Twitter? Jets don't need his losing culture in our locker room. At least Revis and Adams were GOOD. 

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Agree, but I would pay good money with incentives and maybe back end funny money to keep him and show the team we will commit long term. But I would not pay him big money just like I wouldn't pay Jamal.

Well that's apparently what Maye wants and Douglas is nowhere close to the number he's seeking.  An extension simply isn't happening based on that information alone.  Douglas will tag Maye this year, maybe tag him next year, and/or look to trade him at some point between now and 2022.  That's the direction this clearly appears to be headed.

• Upvote 2