Report: Jets not expected to reach deal with Maye

9 minutes ago, EM31 said:

At the risk this time of actually offering a Safety who can cover?

With A QB that can pass (I hope) and a nice stable of pass catchers and a nice offensive line (I hope), the safety position isn't a big worry.

NFL Circa 2021 - Pass Pass Pass.   Score Score Score.

That's the way they made the rules.  Gearing up to do anything other than that is planning to swim against the tide as your strategy. 

Spend your money on the passing game.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I wouldn’t put much credibility into the numbers that other teams might have been discussing with Maye.  They were NEVER going to actually offer Maye a deal, they were throwing out numbers just to make the Jets negotiations harder.  

Yeah, that is all agent talk/BS.

Strongly doubt any teams have risked losing a 1st or 2nd round draft pick to make an offer.

• Upvote 1

I don't have a problem with them deciding not to pay Maye my problem would be not trading him before being tagged or free agency....that would have opened up money to sign a replacement or investing that money other places plus draft compensation...would have also kept a unhappy player out of the locker room.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There is a reason so many teams retain players via the franchise tag. There is a ton of value in having a player under a 1 year contract especially a player whose value goes down every year that passes.   

It's definitely better than having to go out and sign an equivalent free agent who would want a multi year deal. 

Plus if he is as good as he thinks, the Jets will get a decent comp draft pick for losing him. 

Don't count on any comp picks.  Jets are again next year going to have a ton of cap space, and more then likely going to sign a lot of FA's

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There is a reason so many teams retain players via the franchise tag. There is a ton of value in having a player under a 1 year contract especially a player whose value goes down every year that passes.   

It's definitely better than having to go out and sign an equivalent free agent who would want a multi year deal. 

Plus if he is as good as he thinks, the Jets will get a decent comp draft pick for losing him. 

Yeah I think that makes sense if you are a contender you are a better team in the short term while collecting draft comp later....for a rebuilding team with a new head coach I think the better play is trading the player early if he's not part of the long term plan or you don't value the position.  

21 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

THANK YOU JOE!! Everytime we see JD do good GM job I get excited!!

Oh you mean we are not paying our ave or above average safetely big money because he asked for it? Oh he doesnt play a premium position? Oh we have a ton of them on the team already??? WHAT WHAT???

Yeah no thanks let him walk, give me a pick, and let me sign some guy at half the cost that can do the same thing. 

Great Job Joe!! 

THis right after the Crowder deal - man it is like we have a good GM all of a suden!

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Maye is under contract for two more years at 22mm. The team has an option to get out of the contract after this year. 

Considering most three year deals have two years of guaranteed money, there is literally zero reason to give him a deal now that exceeds the $11mm number. It sucks, hes a good guy, and a good player - but hes making a sh*t ton of money and JD's job is to help the Jets. Take it up with the NFLPA

hard to say it better than this. also he is a Safety

22 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

Would hate to lose him. Solid player. We need all the good ones we can get! 

I'm a big supporter of this mentality - and while we don't have too many "homegrown" candidates for extension at the moment - I understand the business decision here. Marcus was old out college - will be 29 next march (meaning this is probably his 1 big pay day...) and we're a young team overall. His agents want max $$$... If he was pass rusher or Oline, I think he'd be extended already.. 

If he balled out HARD this year i bet they'd change their tune. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This is correct. The Jets have what you might call a shaky secondary at best, and Maye is a very good, versatile safety. The team can afford the tag, and he provides a very worthwhile bridge to the dozen or so secondary players Joe D has brought in the last two years. And some stability to all the youngsters out there. The one year deal makes sense. I doubt JD wants to do even the 3 year/$33M thing. Safety, I don’t think, is a position he ever plans to spend heavily on - unless or until he gets that true ball-hawker out there. 

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Don't count on any comp picks.  Jets are again next year going to have a ton of cap space, and more then likely going to sign a lot of FA's

I suspect that 2023 is the year we start seeing comp picks. Ozzie was great at that, and you have to think that JD wants to start adding those picks as well. I’m thinking one or two big signings at positions of need next year, but still losing more free agents than they sign - and a couple expensive ones at that (potentially including Maye). Don’t forget they have another ten or so draft picks coming again next year, with five of them coming in the first three rounds. I’m not expecting a huge free agent class again. Just a couple specifically targeted additions. 

• Upvote 3

I am not a huge fan of how JD has held some good players’ feet to the fire when there is money to spend this year.

Crowder (threatening the cut way too late in FA to get a better deal) and Maye are they types of players that foster the younger players. Maye gets 10 plus as a tag this year (if Adam’s signs then next year will jump). Say, it 23ish for the two years of franchise tags at 80% that’s about 18, if offered a two year deal from JD meaning about 8 for the second franchise year which is a huge cut. I’d walk away from the table as well. Is he worth 14 a year? NO. But a 3 year 30-33 probably. An offer of 2 years at 18 or 3 years at 24 really is not bargaining in good faith.

These tactics will have an effect on later FA signing and rookie deals to actual star players. This is a team void of proven talent and two very good players are being hard balled after playing hard and doing everything right after the last two train wreck seasons. While of up against the cap it would be completely understandable however they are not and the thought of seeing 6-7th and UDFA line up in the secondary makes me think it will be a long season.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Okay - I see all the fine points being made on why we shouldn’t pay him - fine with all that - don’t really have a stance on this subject...BUT

If Joe Douglas’s draftee replacement for Maye is anything like Ashtyn Davis has been.... JD drafting a young replacement doesn’t sound as great to me.

Eh… Maye’s agent should only want him to sign a deal that guarantees over $20 million and gets him more cash over the next two years. 

JD should only want to sign Maye to an extension that decreases his current cash payout and provides long term flexibility. 

The wants don’t match up especially since both the parties know they can just franchise him twice and get him for about $21 million over the next 2 years.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I'm a big supporter of this mentality - and while we don't have too many "homegrown" candidates for extension at the moment - I understand the business decision here. Marcus was old out college - will be 29 next march (meaning this is probably his 1 big pay day...) and we're a young team overall. His agents want max $$$... If he was pass rusher or Oline, I think he'd be extended already.. 

If he balled out HARD this year i bet they'd change their tune. 

Maye is a nice player is he a pro bowler or all pro no, maybe he's not right for Saleh's plan on how he wants the secondary to look??

7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Maye is a nice player is he a pro bowler or all pro no, maybe he's not right for Saleh's plan on how he wants the secondary to look??

I think it's just a matter wanting to throw big money at a Safety who's likely peaking as we speak. History will tell you his performance is likely to decline soon (28 yrs old), and we've got some good DBs maybe developing in the wings.

If he dominates this year again, I would imagine they might re-engage - but Maye's agent has probably been transparent (my client's looking at his only guaranteed big pay day - he needs to maximize it)

I know i'll get hammered for this , but i believe JD played some dirty pool here. Maye signed that tender because based on everything JD said, Maye had a reason to believe Douglas would negotiate in good faith. No way did JD ever believe that Maye would accept an extension 20% below the franchise number. All those staements about how valuable Maye was, etc, etc, we're to get him to sign that tender sheet.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, genot said:

I know i'll get hammered for this , but i believe JD played some dirty pool here. Maye signed that tender because based on everything JD said, Maye had a reason to believe Douglas would negotiate in good faith. No way did JD ever believe that Maye would accept an extension 20% below the franchise number. All those statements about how valuable Maye was, etc, etc, we're to get him to sign that tender sheet.

The offer wasnt made for him to accept.  The offer was made so no one can say, "Joe Douglas doesnt even try to sign his guys long term."

It is textbook GMing when you are in the early stages of a rebuild.  Of course he doesnt want Maye on a long term deal.  We can take a safety in next years draft that will do the same if not better then maye for chea.

Jet fans dont want McCagnan around but are mad at Douglas for not acting like McCagnan.  Unreal.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The offer wasnt made for him to accept.  The offer was made so no one can say, "Joe Douglas doesnt even try to sign his guys long term."

It is textbook GMing when you are in the early stages of a rebuild.  Of course he doesnt want Maye on a long term deal.  We can take a safety in next years draft that will do the same if not better then maye for chea.

Jet fans dont want McCagnan around but are mad at Douglas for not acting like McCagnan.  Unreal.

Douglas could have offered him a lifetime membership in the jello of the month club, and you would talk about what a genius he is. So far he's won 6 games in two years as Jet's GM. He's done some really good things here. These hardball negotiating tactics and all these short term deals could come back and bite him in the ass in the long run.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, kthisguy said:

I am not a huge fan of how JD has held some good players’ feet to the fire when there is money to spend this year.

Crowder (threatening the cut way too late in FA to get a better deal) and Maye are they types of players that foster the younger players. Maye gets 10 plus as a tag this year (if Adam’s signs then next year will jump). Say, it 23ish for the two years of franchise tags at 80% that’s about 18, if offered a two year deal from JD meaning about 8 for the second franchise year which is a huge cut. I’d walk away from the table as well. Is he worth 14 a year? NO. But a 3 year 30-33 probably. An offer of 2 years at 18 or 3 years at 24 really is not bargaining in good faith.

These tactics will have an effect on later FA signing and rookie deals to actual star players. This is a team void of proven talent and two very good players are being hard balled after playing hard and doing everything right after the last two train wreck seasons. While of up against the cap it would be completely understandable however they are not and the thought of seeing 6-7th and UDFA line up in the secondary makes me think it will be a long season.

Everyone knows good GMs give away money unnecessarily for sentimental reasons.  Good practice there!

This team went 2-14 last year. Neither of those players, Maye or Crowder, were Douglas acquisitions, and they aren’t part of the long-term future if the team. You can’t afford to be nice in this business AND be a good GM.  

What you are advocating here are Mike Maccagnan practices.  Good riddance to those kinds of policies.

This is obviously not shocking. He's going to be a 29 year old safety whose best asset is in coverage. 

I'm sure the negotiations started at 2 years guaranteed at around $22 million. I doubt the Jets would guarantee anything beyond that and Maye wants the 2023 season guaranteed. I doubt the APY has anything to do with the issue, it's the guaranteed years.

6 hours ago, kthisguy said:

This is the issue and has been the issue for the Jets for a long time. They have always handed out big contracts to players for past performances while good teams give out big contracts to players who have their best years ahead of them. 

The best way to maximize your money in FA is to bet on future performance not past performance.

The 2 big Jets FA signings in 2021:

Carl Lawson

Corey Davis

Both young players who have their best years ahead of them. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, kthisguy said:

I love Crowder as a player and person, but renewing expensive contracts on older players when you have someone, E. Moore, on a rookie deal who will likely take over much of Crowders playing time this year and more next year will have more of a negative effect than not signing him.  I love Crowder and agree we need to sign important players, but we will with Becton, Q Williams, and a ton of people since we will be drafting over 20 people between this year and next.  I think as fans we just arent used to having depth and being in a position of power with contracts.  Good teams are used to this lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

I know i'll get hammered for this , but i believe JD played some dirty pool here. Maye signed that tender because based on everything JD said, Maye had a reason to believe Douglas would negotiate in good faith. No way did JD ever believe that Maye would accept an extension 20% below the franchise number. All those staements about how valuable Maye was, etc, etc, we're to get him to sign that tender sheet.

He signed that tender bc he saw what happened in FA. Only 3 Safeties got contracts for more than 2 years.  No Safety got guaranteed money after the 2nd year of the contract.  The guaranteed amounts in those contracts were:

Jalen Mills, 27 years old (2 yrs $9 million)

74 tackles, 1 int, 4 tfl

All guaranteed money is in year 1 and 2, none beyond that. 

Rayshawn Jenkins, 27 years old (2 yrs $16 million)

84 tackles, 2 int, 4 tfl

John Johnson, 25 years old (2 yrs $17.25 million deal) 2nd team All-Pro in 2020

104 tackles, 1 int, 2 tfl

Marcus Maye' agents job is to know the market value of his client. Being that he's 28 and the numbers he put up in 2020 and the contracts that were given out in FA his value is somewhere in between Rayshawn Jenkins and Josh Johnson. Between $8-$8.75 Million per season over 2 years fully guaranteed. 

If what his agent is saying is true that the Jets were offering 20% less than the tag amount of $10.6 million that number would be $8.5 million. So that would be a 2 yr $17 million fully guaranteed contract offer, with a year or 2 of non guaranteed money on top of that to lower the cap hit. That sounds like a more than fair market value contract offer to me based on the other Safety FA Signings this offseason. 

As of right now Maye stands to make $10.6 million in 2021 and $12.7 million in 2022 bc a second tag will cost 20% more than his tag number this year. 

That's $23.3 million over 2 years when based on the current climate for safeties he should make around $17 million in that same time period.  He's set to make $6.3 million over his market value over the next 2 seasons. Stop feeling bad for Marcus Maye. He's winning in this situation. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

His guy?? Maye was drafted by Mac..

Joyner is a free safety.  Ashtyn is a free safety. 

And we just drafted how many "hybrid" safeties that we are converting to either CB or OLB that can play up in the box?

Sherwood, safety at Auburn - penciled in as OLB.

Carter II - safety at Duke, penciled in as NB

Hamsah, safety at FSU, penciled in at OLB

Echols, safety at Kentucky, penciled in as NB

UDFAs: S, Jordyn Peters (6'1, 200) and LB Brendon White (6'2, 220) can play box, and Isaiah Dunn can play inside or out making one of the above listed "NBs" expendable to play their college position of safety. 

It's kind of hard to justify overpaying a tagged player right now with this amount of depth.  

• Sympathy 2