Jump to content

Report: Jets not expected to reach deal with Maye


Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

You can never have enough safeties. 

Todd Bowles was on a mission to “make safeties great again” and steamrolled Macc into getting the pieces he “needs for my defense to work.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Douglas is not in any rush to overpay a safety. Good for him. We finally have a GM who seems to get it. 

Probably pulled each others.

Hot take: Lamarcus Joyner and Ashtyn Davis would make a perfectly capable Safety duo and signing Maye, who will be 29 next year, to a lucrative LTD is not smart.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

 

Not apples and apples comparisons. They're both tagged and the similarity with their situations ends there.

  • Robinson chose his current team as a UFA.
  • Robinson's tag amount is nearly double Maye's: $18MM to $10MM. Next year their respective tag amounts will be $21MM vs $12MM. 
  • Robinson has already had one UFA payday, making $42MM over the past 3 years. Maye' has made $6.5MM total over his 4 year career.

I legitimately don't get the ire some of you have for a good player trying to maximize his only long term payday opportunity. 

I'm ok with how Douglas is handling this. I'm also ok with how Maye is handling it, too. But some of you seem to think it's this player's purpose in life to take a low-ball offer for the only big multi-year payday he'll ever see in his life (probably to the tune of some $5MM/yr less than other offers, give or take). You guys sure are generous and selfless with others' money.

He wants to maximize on a good season while he's healthy, rather than risk further but payments with a career-altering injury in 2021. The team wants other things long term, and was less than forthcoming when the GM alluded to a promised good faith long-term contract negotiation, seeing how his UFA value is some 50% higher than the team's alleged top offer. The idea that Maye should be somehow grateful the team has no one more worthy of tagging (potentially costing the player some $15MM if he gets badly hurt late in the sesson) is lost on me.

The two sides want different things. It's as simple as that. There doesn't have to be a villain in this story. 

This low ball offer you think the Jets made is based on an arbitrary number you have in your head. Go read my post above. If the Agent is being honest the Jets offer is fair considering the going rate for safeties in 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2021 at 5:01 PM, Mogglez said:

Hot take:

Lamarcus Joyner and Ashtyn Davis would make a perfectly capable Safety duo and signing Maye, who will be 29 next year, to a lucrative LTD is not smart.

L Joyner all 5’8” is 184 pounds and will be 31 years old this November( he’s gone after this year) , and Ashtyn Davis didn’t even show he was a starting safety last year .( although to be fair due to covid, and no training camp that has to be taken into consideration.   That safety duo right now would be a joke . 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

 

Not apples and apples comparisons. They're both tagged and the similarity with their situations ends there.

  • Robinson chose his current team as a UFA.
  • Robinson's tag amount is nearly double Maye's: $18MM to $10MM. Next year their respective tag amounts will be $21MM vs $12MM. 
  • Robinson has already had one UFA payday, making $42MM over the past 3 years. Maye' has made $6.5MM total over his 4 year career.

I legitimately don't get the ire some of you have for a good player trying to maximize his only long term payday opportunity. 

I'm ok with how Douglas is handling this. I'm also ok with how Maye is handling it, too. But some of you seem to think it's this player's purpose in life to take a low-ball offer for the only big multi-year payday he'll ever see in his life (probably to the tune of some $5MM/yr less than other offers, give or take). You guys sure are generous and selfless with others' money.

He wants to maximize on a good season while he's healthy, rather than risk further but payments with a career-altering injury in 2021. The team wants other things long term, and was less than forthcoming when the GM alluded to a promised good faith long-term contract negotiation, seeing how his UFA value is some 50% higher than the team's alleged top offer. The idea that Maye should be somehow grateful the team has no one more worthy of tagging (potentially costing the player some $15MM if he gets badly hurt late in the sesson) is lost on me.

The two sides want different things. It's as simple as that. There doesn't have to be a villain in this story. 

This happens every time a Jet wants to get paid and disagrees with the team's valuation. The same people who preach "loyalty" (which never seems to matter when a team cuts an injured player) would quit their job or at least squeeze their current employer if a competitor offered them a 20% raise. 

Like you said: there doesn't always have to be a villain.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This low ball offer you think the Jets made is based on an arbitrary number you have in your head. Go read my post above. If the Agent is being honest the Jets offer is fair considering the going rate for safeties in 2021.

You know what you call an agent who is honest with teams on behalf of his clients rather than trying to maximize their earnings? Ex-agent.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, choon328 said:

This low ball offer you think the Jets made is based on an arbitrary number you have in your head. Go read my post above. If the Agent is being honest the Jets offer is fair considering the going rate for safeties in 2021.

If the rumored amount of $8MM/yr is correct, that's a low-ball offer in 2021.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

 

Not apples and apples comparisons. They're both tagged and the similarity with their situations ends there.

  • Robinson chose his current team as a UFA.
  • Robinson's tag amount is nearly double Maye's: $18MM to $10MM. Next year their respective tag amounts will be $21MM vs $12MM. 
  • Robinson has already had one UFA payday, making $42MM over the past 3 years. Maye' has made $6.5MM total over his 4 year career.

I legitimately don't get the ire some of you have for a good player trying to maximize his only long term payday opportunity. 

I'm ok with how Douglas is handling this. I'm also ok with how Maye is handling it, too. But some of you seem to think it's this player's purpose in life to take a low-ball offer for the only big multi-year payday he'll ever see in his life (probably to the tune of some $5MM/yr less than other offers, give or take). You guys sure are generous and selfless with others' money.

He wants to maximize on a good season while he's healthy, rather than risk further but payments with a career-altering injury in 2021. The team wants other things long term, and was less than forthcoming when the GM alluded to a promised good faith long-term contract negotiation, seeing how his UFA value is some 50% higher than the team's alleged top offer. The idea that Maye should be somehow grateful the team has no one more worthy of tagging (potentially costing the player some $15MM if he gets badly hurt late in the sesson) is lost on me.

The two sides want different things. It's as simple as that. There doesn't have to be a villain in this story. 

Chris Godwin, another player much better then Maye, will play under the tag and is not unfollowing his team on social media.

No one is saying there is a villian.  I am saying this narrative of Maye being this great leader and deserving of a long term deal from the jets is false.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

If the rumored amount of $8MM/yr is correct, that's a low-ball offer in 2021.

Of course it was a lowball offer.  That is what u do when u have no desire to sign a player long term but want the optics out there that u tried to.

Textbook GMing by Joe D.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Chris Godwin, another player much better then Maye, will play under the tag and is not unfollowing his team on social media.

No one is saying there is a villian.  I am saying this narrative of Maye being this great leader and deserving of a long term deal from the jets is false.  

I'll tell ya one thing. Some of these tactics may have worked on the Jets of the past who for years have seemed oversensitive of media criticism but JD don't give two fuggs if a player unfollows the team on Twitterinstabook. He's going to make a rational, level-headed football decision. The player is well within his rights to refuse the offer or sit out if he doesn't like getting tagged. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Chris Godwin, another player much better then Maye, will play under the tag and is not unfollowing his team on social media.

No one is saying there is a villian.  I am saying this narrative of Maye being this great leader and deserving of a long term deal from the jets is false.  

 

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Of course it was a lowball offer.  That is what u do when u have no desire to sign a player long term but want the optics out there that u tried to.

Textbook GMing by Joe D.

You are acting like a converted follower of a Joe Douglas religion, where everything he does is perfect by definition. The truth is none of us knows the long-term repercussions of the way he's handling incumbent veterans. I could rationalize that couple more years of this and some FAs may only select the Jets as a last resort because it's a given that the Jets, more than other teams, will cut bait and demand pay cuts far more than other clubs. That may be in the team's interest on paper in the immediate season(s), but word gets around. 

Everyone in the locker room and other teams and other agents all know (or think they know) the going rate for Maye as a UFA in March would be in the $13-14MM range (+/- $1MM); that even an extension at $11MM would be seen as a team-friendly contract that was only agreed upon because the Jets could control him under the tag; and therefore that $8MM is an unserious offer demonstrative of an unserious extension attempt.

If you and I and others here know it's a low-ball offer, rather than a serious one, then everyone else knows it, too. Every player in the locker room, and every agent representing every player in the league knows it. I don't know where you got the idea that every agent has the IQ of a flower pot and is fooled by the optics of an obviously unserious long-term offer, after public promises that allege they'd attempt to do far better.

The optics of a low-ball offer are not good, and those optics fool nobody that it'd seek to fool (e.g. other teammates, and certainly all agents). Not only do they fool nobody, it has the opposite effect to anyone paying close attention who has any skin in the game going forward.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, choon328 said:

He signed that tender bc he saw what happened in FA. Only 3 Safeties got contracts for more than 2 years.  No Safety got guaranteed money after the 2nd year of the contract.  The guaranteed amounts in those contracts were:

Jalen Mills, 27 years old (2 yrs $9 million)

74 tackles, 1 int, 4 tfl

All guaranteed money is in year 1 and 2, none beyond that. 

Rayshawn Jenkins, 27 years old (2 yrs $16 million)

84 tackles, 2 int, 4 tfl

All guaranteed money is in year 1 and 2, none beyond that.

John Johnson, 25 years old (2 yrs $17.25 million deal) 2nd team All-Pro in 2020

104 tackles, 1 int, 2 tfl

All guaranteed money is in year 1 and 2, none beyond that.

Marcus Maye' agents job is to know the market value of his client. Being that he's 28 and the numbers he put up in 2020 and the contracts that were given out in FA his value is somewhere in between Rayshawn Jenkins and Josh Johnson. Between $8-$8.75 Million per season over 2 years fully guaranteed. 

If what his agent is saying is true that the Jets were offering 20% less than the tag amount of $10.6 million that number would be $8.5 million. So that would be a 2 yr $17 million fully guaranteed contract offer, with a year or 2 of non guaranteed money on top of that to lower the cap hit. That sounds like a more than fair market value contract offer to me based on the other Safety FA Signings this offseason. 

As of right now Maye stands to make $10.6 million in 2021 and $12.7 million in 2022 bc a second tag will cost 20% more than his tag number this year. 

That's $23.3 million over 2 years when based on the current climate for safeties he should make around $17 million in that same time period.  He's set to make $6.3 million over his market value over the next 2 seasons. Stop feeling bad for Marcus Maye. He's winning in this situation. 

If Maye knew what the extension offer was, my guess he would have tested the free agent waters. Which is his right considering his length od service.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

 

 

You are acting like a converted follower of a Joe Douglas religion, where everything he does is perfect by definition. The truth is none of us knows the long-term repercussions of the way he's handling incumbent veterans. I could rationalize that couple more years of this and some FAs may only select the Jets as a last resort because it's a given that the Jets, more than other teams, will cut bait and demand pay cuts far more than other clubs. That may be in the team's interest on paper in the immediate season(s), but word gets around. 

Everyone in the locker room and other teams and other agents all know (or think they know) the going rate for Maye as a UFA in March would be in the $13-14MM range (+/- $1MM); that even an extension at $11MM would be seen as a team-friendly contract that was only agreed upon because the Jets could control him under the tag; and therefore that $8MM is an unserious offer demonstrative of an unserious extension attempt.

If you and I and others here know it's a low-ball offer, rather than a serious one, then everyone else knows it, too. Every player in the locker room, and every agent representing every player in the league knows it. I don't know where you got the idea that every agent has the IQ of a flower pot and is fooled by the optics of an obviously unserious long-term offer, after public promises that allege they'd attempt to do far better.

The optics of a low-ball offer are not good, and those optics fool nobody that it'd seek to fool (e.g. other teammates, and certainly all agents). Not only do they fool nobody, it has the opposite effect to anyone paying close attention who has any skin in the game going forward.

No one can say the Jets did not make an offer to try to resign Maye.  Mission accomplished.

Its May's fault he did not take it.

Joe D and the Jets win again!

  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No one can say the Jets did not make an offer to try to resign Maye.  Mission accomplished.

Its May's fault he did not take it.

Joe D and the Jets win again!

Asinine. 

It makes sense that neither party wants to budge off of their position here. Especially since a good year from Maye essentially earns him a 2 year, $22 million extension on top of his rookie deal from franchise tags. 

However, a contract offer in bad faith is just bad PR. Especially when it’s offered to a team captain and leader.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, genot said:

If Maye knew what the extension offer was, my guess he would have tested the free agent waters. Which is his right considering his length od service.

Well yes and no. He was franchise tagged so, while he could test those waters, those interested teams would have to give up a solid pick or more (on paper, the Jets are entitled to two 1st rounders that no one would pay) for the privilege of signing Maye to a big contract.

Where you're right, without outright saying it, is any comparable offers in the $8-9MM range aren't really comparable for a couple reasons.

First off and most obvious because Maye is a better player who's produced better and is right now in his prime. It seems teams already exceeded the Jets offer before he signed his tender, if that's to be believed. It doesn't seem far-fetched, though: I don't find myself internally saying, "Oh bull**** anyone else made a much better offer than $8MM per."

Second of all because that was the market for those lesser guys as UFAs free to sign with anyone, which Maye wasn't and isn't once he was franchise tagged.

So those comparable contracts are not really comparable.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No one can say the Jets did not make an offer to try to resign Maye.  Mission accomplished.

Its May's fault he did not take it.

Joe D and the Jets win again!

Yeah they can say it. I say it, and agents say it. 

An exaggerated version of this is if the Chiefs capped out at a 3-year extension offer to Mahomes at $20MM per year. On paper it's an offer to re-sign/extend; in actuality it's no offer at all. Or like if I offered to buy your house for 60% of its value. "Hey, I made you an offer and you can't say otherwise!"

You're being ridiculous here. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah they can say it. I say it, and agents say it. 

An exaggerated version of this is if the Chiefs capped out at a 3-year extension offer to Mahomes at $20MM per year. On paper it's an offer to re-sign/extend; in actuality it's no offer at all. Or like if I offered to buy your house for 60% of its value. "Hey, I made you an offer and you can't say otherwise!"

You're being ridiculous here. 

Exaggerated is right your comparing Maye to a All Pro Bowl winning QB now?? LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maye is following the instructions of his representation. If he's unfollowing the Jets on his twitter/instagram/whatever, it's a tactic.

Just like the Jets' tactic of dishonestly telling the player (and media) all winter that they're going to work really hard to get him locked up long term with a legitimate offer, to get him to sign his franchise tender back in the first week of free agency, and then max out at an offer closer to the range that the team gave Kerry Rhodes 13 seasons ago than Maye's current going rate. 

I'm perfectly fine with Douglas just tagging Maye and reassessing after the season. I don't view his position or him individually as being such a crucial one; not until it's been demonstrated everyone else is terrible and an instant veteran fix is required.

However I do have some concerns he's not following through on extension promises - including ones he's made public himself - to all his players who are due contracts after their rookie deals expire (3 of 3 from Anderson to Adams to Maye, so far), Douglas may be developing a reputation, to agents & players, as an overt liar. It could lead to early holdouts down the road; it could lead to players only agreeing with the Jets when we're far & away offering the most guaranteed $ (if we're viewed as the team most likely to cut bait or demand pay cuts immediately after the guarantees are over, even if the player is producing at the same level as when he was signed). It's not win-win short term and long term; it's only a win in the short term with an unknown result in the long term.

One or two players make this claim? Meh, who cares. When it's all 3 out of 3 and counting (mixed in with pay cut demands for others in the middle of it), the signal sent out to veterans who have options isn't a great one. 

It's clearly best for the team's cap in the immediate/short term, but this act will get stale really fast if the Jets aren't a perennial playoff team very soon. Such teams can get away with ultra-frugality. If we're SOJ in the standings we'll have to go back to overbidding just to get the likes of Trumaine Johnson to sign here. 

  • Post of the Week 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No one can say the Jets did not make an offer to try to resign Maye.  Mission accomplished.

Its May's fault he did not take it.

Joe D and the Jets win again!

I got 2 dead trees that need to be taken down. I want the smaller branches cut off and hauled away and the trunk and bigger branches chopped and stacked neatly.

$15 sound cool?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Savage69 said:

Exaggerated is right your comparing Maye to a All Pro Bowl winning QB now?? LOL

I used him because everyone knows how much he makes. I didn't use Maye's $8MM offer in the exaggeration. I used about half a top-2 QB's going rate of $20MM (perhaps I could have used $25MM instead, but the point still would have been the same). 

The point is the same: it's an offer everyone knows is inappropriate. Just like I also said to him, how about if I made an offer to buy your house for 60% of its value. Or if I wanted to buy a used car with a $13K value and offered $8K that I know perfectly well the owner won't take.

Do I get to say, "Hey, I made an offer"? Yeah sure, but everyone knows it's not a serious, legitimate offer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I got 2 dead trees that need to be taken down. I want the smaller branches cut off and hauled away and the trunk and bigger branches chopped and stacked neatly.

$15 sound cool?

You made an offer -- he can't say you didn't! You (Joe D) win!!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You made an offer -- he can't say you didn't! You (Joe D) win!!

Yeah but I'm still the one with two dead trees threatening my roof. And that's the point. JD clearly values the services of the player -- quite highly considering the $$ involved. If he fails to make a deal, he doesn't get those services long term. I want a Ferrari but I can't (or in JD's case doesn't want to) pay full price. I don't "win" because a dealer rejects my offer to buy one for $30,000. I still go home in an Uber.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I used him because everyone knows how much he makes. I didn't use Maye's $8MM offer in the exaggeration. I used about half a top-2 QB's going rate of $20MM (perhaps I could have used $25MM instead, but the point still would have been the same). 

The point is the same: it's an offer everyone knows is inappropriate. Just like I also said to him, how about if I made an offer to buy your house for 60% of its value. Or if I wanted to buy a used car with a $13K value and offered $8K that I know perfectly well the owner won't take.

Do I get to say, "Hey, I made an offer"? Yeah sure, but everyone knows it's not a serious, legitimate offer.

A better example is how the Pats are handling All Pro Gilmores contact he's due 8 million this year..

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jgb said:

I got 2 dead trees that need to be taken down. I want the smaller branches cut off and hauled away and the trunk and bigger branches chopped and stacked neatly.

$15 sound cool?

giphy.gif

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Where Jets stand in complicated Marcus Maye contract talks

By Ryan Dunleavy

July 14, 2021 | 9:43pm | Updated

MORE ON:

NEW YORK JETS

The free-agency gamble at center of Jets strength

Jets star appears headed for contract impasse

Jets giving plenty of opportunities for fans to watch training camp

Receiver could be Jets offseason steal after eye-opening first impression

Trading Jamal Adams didn’t completely cure the Jets of a contract dispute with a star safety.

The Jets have made multiple contract offers to Marcus Maye since he was tagged in early March, a league source told the Post, but all signs indicate an NFL-imposed deadline for franchise-tagged players to sign extensions will pass at 4 p.m. Thursday without a deal in place.

While Adams’ market-setting contract demands and looming potential holdout are now the Seahawks’ issues, the Jets and Maye haven’t made much headway in the 12 months since Adams was traded. Maye, who skipped voluntary spring workouts but attended mandatory minicamp, will face two options: Hold out or play on a one-year contract worth $10.612 million. Following the deadline, talks cannot resume until after the season.

One Jets offer averaged about $8.5 million per year over the life of the deal and Maye’s counter-offer was pulled when it became clear that other teams valued him more if he reached free agency, according to NFL Network.

ADVERTISEMENT

So, where is fair value? The reported offer was made before Maye was tagged, which upped the numbers, The Post learned. That likely falls closely in line with a reasonable comparison for Maye in John Johnson, the top free-agent safety in 2021.

Johnson signed for $11.25 million per year over three years with the Browns. Neither Maye nor Johnson has a Pro Bowl or All-Pro selection. Maye signed the tag in late March.

Marcus Maye’s Jets contract represents a unique confluence of factors.

Corey Sipkin

Multiple NFL agents expressed that the starting point for negotiations of this nature is widely accepted as the average cost of back-to-back franchise tags. A tag on Maye in 2022 means 120 percent of his 2021 salary ($12.73 million) and creates a two-year average of $11.67 million.

SEE ALSO

Jets coach hopeful Marcus Maye deal will get done

CBS Sports contract analyst Joel Corry — a former NFL agent — called Maye “a Pro Bowl-caliber” safety and explained he should be shooting for higher now that the pandemic-forced salary cap squeeze has lessened.

“If you offer something less than the tag on a long-term deal, we have nothing to talk about because you are sending a signal that you don’t want me here,” Corry said. “I’m going to take it as, ‘Play it out and we go from there.’ I have nothing to think about until you put me in the minimum $14 million-per-year range.”

Maye’s negotiations are complicated by his age and the likelihood of only one major payday in his career after earning $6.5 million over his first four seasons as a second-round pick, compared to Adams’ $22.2 million as a first-rounder. Some players in Maye’s situation could be enticed by more guaranteed money arriving sooner and a lower average salary, to protect against serious injury or poor performance.

Maye is entering his age-28 season and will be 29 — three years older than Johnson was in March — if he reaches free agency next season. As another example, he is 14 months older than Washington’s Landon Collins, who has played six seasons.

What do you think? Post a comment.

None of the six safeties earning more than $12 million per year signed their deal at age 28 or older. Seven safeties since the start of 2019 have topped Johnson’s annual average, but all have Pro Bowls and/or All-Pro selections on their résumés.

Devin McCourty re-signed for $11.5 million over two years with the Patriots at 32 years old, but an argument can be made Maye is ascending whereas McCourty’s best years are in the past.

SEE ALSO

Marcus Maye’s agent slams Jets in first sign of free-agency ugliness

Maye is the backbone of a weak Jets’ secondary and set career highs in 2020 for tackles (82), sacks (two), passes defended (11) and turnovers generated (five). Jets inside linebacker C.J. Mosley has played one game over two years since signing for an annual average of $17 million.

While the safety pay scale generally increases more slowly than that of other positions, Corry projects the Vikings’ Harrison Smith, 32, and the Chiefs’ Tyrann Mathieu, 29, are going to get “very strong deals” soon. After his first year moving from cornerback to safety, the Giants rewarded then-29-year-old Logan Ryan with a three-year extension worth $10.33 million per year in December.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

“The market is going to continue to go up,” Corry said. “Jamal Adams is going to move it, and that’s one that I’d be like, ‘I’m the leader of the secondary because you didn’t want to pay him. He’s making X, so that’s the guy I’m going to most compare myself to.”

image.gif

image.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jgb said:

I got 2 dead trees that need to be taken down. I want the smaller branches cut off and hauled away and the trunk and bigger branches chopped and stacked neatly.

$15 sound cool?

No but my counter to that is $1,500,000.  Cheap bastid.  :) 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2021 at 4:32 PM, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Joe Douglas doesn't want to pay anybody .

Cheapskate GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I like frugal and I like the fact that he looks to the future. Yet, is he too frugal? Will we be able to retain ANY of our home grown players? I am very, very concerned about his lack of ability to sign our own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maye is following the instructions of his representation. If he's unfollowing the Jets on his twitter/instagram/whatever, it's a tactic.

Just like the Jets' tactic of dishonestly telling the player (and media) all winter that they're going to work really hard to get him locked up long term with a legitimate offer, to get him to sign his franchise tender back in the first week of free agency, and then max out at an offer closer to the range that the team gave Kerry Rhodes 13 seasons ago than Maye's current going rate. 

I'm perfectly fine with Douglas just tagging Maye and reassessing after the season. I don't view his position or him individually as being such a crucial one; not until it's been demonstrated everyone else is terrible and an instant veteran fix is required.

However I do have some concerns he's not following through on extension promises - including ones he's made public himself - to all his players who are due contracts after their rookie deals expire (3 of 3 from Anderson to Adams to Maye, so far), Douglas may be developing a reputation, to agents & players, as an overt liar. It could lead to early holdouts down the road; it could lead to players only agreeing with the Jets when we're far & away offering the most guaranteed $ (if we're viewed as the team most likely to cut bait or demand pay cuts immediately after the guarantees are over, even if the player is producing at the same level as when he was signed). It's not win-win short term and long term; it's only a win in the short term with an unknown result in the long term.

One or two players make this claim? Meh, who cares. When it's all 3 out of 3 and counting (mixed in with pay cut demands for others in the middle of it), the signal sent out to veterans who have options isn't a great one. 

It's clearly best for the team's cap in the immediate/short term, but this act will get stale really fast if the Jets aren't a perennial playoff team very soon. Such teams can get away with ultra-frugality. If we're SOJ in the standings we'll have to go back to overbidding just to get the likes of Trumaine Johnson to sign here. 

That's the beef i have. JD led him down the primrose path. Got him to sign the tender, knowing his extension offer would never fly with Maye, or his reps. I imagine that this might not sit well with some players here who are smart enough to form their own opinions. Keenan Cole, might turn out to be our best receiver here. He's on a 1 yr deal. How does he feel about this. We won't franchise him. This is the kind of thing that could decide whether he wants to come back, or not. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Okay - I see all the fine points being made on why we shouldn’t pay him - fine with all that - don’t really have a stance on this subject...BUT

If Joe Douglas’s draftee replacement for Maye is anything like Ashtyn Davis has been.... JD drafting a young replacement doesn’t sound as great to me.

I don't understand the logic here. You're basing JD's ability to draft Maye's replacement on a draft pick who is entering his first full off-season as a Jet. We don't know what Davis will end up being, and even if Davis is a complete bust, it wouldn't mean that JD is incapable of hitting on a safety in 2022 or beyond. Good, bad, and great GMs whiff on draft picks, and we have no idea if he even whiffed on Ashtyn Davis. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DonCorleone said:

I like frugal and I like the fact that he looks to the future. Yet, is he too frugal? Will we be able to retain ANY of our home grown players? I am very, very concerned about his lack of ability to sign our own.

He doesn't lack the ability to do so. There just haven't been any, or very few, worth resigning. That's the problem with drafting old rookies, players who suck, ego maniacs, or endlessly drafting DL. Maye is your typical Jet who doesn't suck so Jets fans make him out to be great when he's really just average to good. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I like frugal and I like the fact that he looks to the future. Yet, is he too frugal? Will we be able to retain ANY of our home grown players? I am very, very concerned about his lack of ability to sign our own.

From what I'm seeing out of Douglas is, he'll pay if he really thinks the player is worth it, And the team really needs him  IMO Lawson is a good example of that.  $15,000,000 a year for a guy with 20 sacks in 4 years.  Major need position for the Jets if this D is going to work.  Douglas must really have high hopes for his future.  He's gambled on it big time.

Fant is another example.  $10,000,000 for a guy who was never really a starter.  But he can play at an NFL level 3 positions on need for the Jets.  Douglas paid him.  Jets were in MAJOR need of a LT at the time.

I suspect if a player produces at a high level, and the Jets need him, he'll be paid.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, genot said:

That's the beef i have. JD led him down the primrose path. Got him to sign the tender, knowing his extension offer would never fly with Maye, or his reps. I imagine that this might not sit well with some players here who are smart enough to form their own opinions. Keenan Cole, might turn out to be our best receiver here. He's on a 1 yr deal. How does he feel about this. We won't franchise him. This is the kind of thing that could decide whether he wants to come back, or not. 

Oh stop, you talk about players being smart enough to form their own opinion, but your premise is that poor Maye signed his tender because he was essentially conned by JD into doing so. Maye knew the score prior to signing the tender. He saw a guarantee of 10-11 million for one year of work, and he took it. He wasn't conned or forced to do so, he made a choice knowingly.  Keenan Cole signed a contract with the Jets because it was the best offer/opportunity he had, and I'm pretty sure he isn't upset at the Jets for making that offer. As the players always say when it's in their interest "it's a business", and everyone involved knows it. Saying that you want to extend someone isn't a guarantee that both sides will agree to a deal. Failure to do so isn't necessarily a sign of bad faith either. Maybe JD did want to resign Maye, but the numbers that both parties stood firm on were too far apart.   

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...