Report: Jets not expected to reach deal with Maye

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Oh stop, you talk about players being smart enough to form their own opinion, but your premise is that poor Maye signed his tender because he was essentially conned by JD into doing so. Maye knew the score prior to signing the tender. He saw a guarantee of 10-11 million for one year of work, and he took it. He wasn't conned or forced to do so, he made a choice knowingly.  Keenan Cole signed a contract with the Jets because it was the best offer/opportunity he had, and I'm pretty sure he isn't upset at the Jets for making that offer. As the players always say when it's in their interest "it's a business", and everyone involved knows it. Saying that you want to extend someone isn't a guarantee that both sides will agree to a deal. Failure to do so isn't necessarily a sign of bad faith either. Maybe JD did want to resign Maye, but the numbers that both parties stood firm on were too far apart.   

Agree

Maye is a good player, but he's not close to ELITE.  He's never been an All Pro, or even made a Pro Bowl.  Right now he is being paid as one of the top 5 S's in the NFL, he's not.

If I'm Douglas I offer him 3 years at $29M, with $13M grant'd.  If Maye chooses not to take it, he can leave next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Douglas is not in any rush to overpay a safety. Good for him. We finally have a GM who seems to get it. 

Probably pulled each others.

Hot take: Lamarcus Joyner and Ashtyn Davis would make a perfectly capable Safety duo and signing Maye, who will be 29 next year, to a lucrative LTD is not smart.

Posted Images

14 hours ago, genot said:

I know i'll get hammered for this , but i believe JD played some dirty pool here. Maye signed that tender because based on everything JD said, Maye had a reason to believe Douglas would negotiate in good faith. No way did JD ever believe that Maye would accept an extension 20% below the franchise number. All those staements about how valuable Maye was, etc, etc, we're to get him to sign that tender sheet.

Maye signed that tender as quickly as he could so that the Jets couldn’t pull it off the table. He’s made about $6.5M so far in his career, and is set to make $10.6M this year alone (about a million more than Jamalol). Sure, he wants more (who doesn’t?), but he had no intention of losing that pay day. I suspect that JD only used the tag because the tender for safeties is so low, too. Otherwise I think he would’ve made an offer and let him walk if it wasn’t accepted. 

Maye is not suffering by playing under the tag. And if he balls out this year, he can do it again for even more money. 

• Upvote 4
27 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Agree

Maye is a good player, but he's not close to ELITE.  He's never been an All Pro, or even made a Pro Bowl.  Right now he is being paid as one of the top 5 S's in the NFL, he's not.

If I'm Douglas I offer him 3 years at $29M, with $13M grant'd.  If Maye chooses not to take it, he can leave next year.

no way he's taking that deal.  if you make it 32mm with 16mm guaranteed i think he would probably take it.

19 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Agree

I agree with the $29M for 3 years, but I would argue that the guaranteed amount needs to be more like $15M.  The reason is that he is guaranteed $10.6 million or $11M right now, just playing out the franchise tag.  To only guarantee him an addl. $2M would make me want to not sign that deal.  At $15M,  I could get the $11M that I'm getting this year, plus another $4 M in case I get hurt or the team doesn't want me next year.  

My other point is that in terms of franchise tags and position players, out of the 10 positions on the team not including special teams, the safety position ranks 8 out of 10 in terms of amount of franchise money.  Th only positions lower than safety are tight end and running back, believe it or not.

So, while a cornerback has a franchise tag of around $15 M per year, the safety is at $11M per year, or $4M more than a safety, which I agree with.  

To offer Maye more than the average of $11M per year would be dumb.  On the flip side, I agree that Maye is not considered ELITE.  He is an above average safety, or else the Jets would not have franchised him for this year to begin with.  So, he is slightly under ELITE status, which warrants between 9- 10M per year in my book.  

If no one steps up this year at the safety position other than Maye, you could expect the Jets to sign a top free agent safety next offseason, or franchise Maye for another year at around $13M for next year.  If they franchise him next year as well, then he would be 30 years old after next season.  At that point, no one would be looking to pay Maye more than $10M per year.

• Upvote 1

Unless Saleh thinks Maye will be a great on field coach for the young secondary they're probably better off trading Maye for what they can. Maybe a 3rd round pick (give or take). Then use that pick to draft his replacement (you don't need to draft safeties high). That leaves you with a younger cheaper safety who can grow with the team as opposed to a vet you'll have to replace as the team starts (hopefully) playing at a high level in a year or two.

On 7/13/2021 at 5:26 PM, David Harris said:

Maye will be 29 next off season. betting on yourself is a tough thing to do at his age. Sucks to be 24 your rookie year.

Are you telling me we drafted a 24 year old safety at the top of the 2nd round (after we already took one in the 1st)? Really miss Mac.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

A better example is how the Pats are handling All Pro Gilmores contact he's due 8 million this year..

I don't think they're at all similar, let alone that it's a better example.

That is a player under contract who willingly signed with NE. Maye got drafted and has made $6.5MM over his first 4 seasons and has never signed a negotiated contract. He got a slotted contract as a rookie and a franchise tag this year.  

Gilmore is also a corner who's entering his age-31 season; judging from history, a dropoff in production is expected in the coming season(s). Conversely May turned 28 in March. His upcoming 2-3 seasons should be his best (experience grown, before his skill falls off physically).

Gilmore is also free to tell New England to piss off. In more common terms, he can say no. He does that then he gets to become a UFA where he'll get more than NE wants to pay him. This is again different than Maye, who couldn't sign elsewhere even if he'd refused to sign his tender, since another team would have to fork over high pick(s) to the Jets.

Honestly Gilmore is a terrible example.

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Oh stop, you talk about players being smart enough to form their own opinion, but your premise is that poor Maye signed his tender because he was essentially conned by JD into doing so. Maye knew the score prior to signing the tender. He saw a guarantee of 10-11 million for one year of work, and he took it. He wasn't conned or forced to do so, he made a choice knowingly.  Keenan Cole signed a contract with the Jets because it was the best offer/opportunity he had, and I'm pretty sure he isn't upset at the Jets for making that offer. As the players always say when it's in their interest "it's a business", and everyone involved knows it. Saying that you want to extend someone isn't a guarantee that both sides will agree to a deal. Failure to do so isn't necessarily a sign of bad faith either. Maybe JD did want to resign Maye, but the numbers that both parties stood firm on were too far apart.   

He signed that tender based on multiple statements by Douglas, which gave him a reason to believe Douglas would make a good faith offer on an extension. In Mayes view, he didn't. And i agree. 

• Confused 1
25 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Not in favor of overpaying for any player, but I’d go above market value for a great character guy who sets an example 

This is total nonsense.  Our core of players moving forward is Zach Wilson, Elijah moore, michael carter, AVT, Mecki becton etc.  Those are the leaders and the guys we will take care of.  They could care less what Joe D is doing with Marcus Maye.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
21 minutes ago, genot said:

He signed that tender based on multiple statements by Douglas, which gave him a reason to believe Douglas would make a good faith offer on an extension. In Mayes view, he didn't. And i agree. 

Billy Crystal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Who says JD didn't make a good faith offer? Mayes may have rejected an offer that was made, his choice, and countered to which JD chose not to accept, his choice, and now Mayes is making a lot of money anyway and the team isn't on the hook the next three years for a safety near thirty. Just because someone may interpret something one way that doesn't make it true. For instance that woman you think is all about it, but turns out she wasn't. That isn't her fault you misinterpreted.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Chris Godwin, another player much better then Maye, will play under the tag and is not unfollowing his team on social media.

Define social media in your eyes.

I think it was just IG, not twitter or whatever else he was on.

36 minutes ago, genot said:

Why do some of you think whatever a player asks for the GM has to agree to otherwise he's not acting in good faith?   

You have no idea what numbers were discussed and who was or wasnt acting in good faith.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Who says JD didn't make a good faith offer? Mayes may have rejected an offer that was made, his choice, and countered to which JD chose not to accept, his choice, and now Mayes is making a lot of money anyway and the team isn't on the hook the next three years for a safety near thirty. Just because someone may interpret something one way that doesn't make it true. For instance that woman you think is all about it, but turns out she wasn't. That isn't her fault you misinterpreted.

The Douglas offer was 20% below what the franchise tender was. Douglas knew that a counter offer would be made. He didn't even pick up the phone to respond. In other words. "Take it or leave it". If he meant what he said multiple times about Maye, he would have responded. He didn't respond because his glowing words of praise for Maye, we're disingenuous. 

10 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

L Joyner all 5’8” is 184 pounds and will be 31 years old this November( he’s gone after this year) , and Ashtyn Davis didn’t even show he was a starting safety last year .( although to be fair due to covid, and no training camp that has to be taken into consideration.   That safety duo right now would be a joke . 

Hes a good S and a eh CB.  Which explains why the braindead braintrust of the Raiders converted him to CB.  Between Gruden and Mayock they dont have one brain

You cant talk Raiders accurately and you want to talk about players on the Jets.  

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, genot said:

He signed the tender because he didnt have much choice.  JD doesnt agree that what Maye is asking for is in the best interests of the Jets and whats Maye going to do, sit out?  Hes not a player who if he were to sit out a year anyone would care.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, genot said:

The Douglas offer was 20% below what the franchise tender was. Douglas knew that a counter offer would be made. He didn't even pick up the phone to respond. In other words. "Take it or leave it". If he meant what he said multiple times about Maye, he would have responded. He didn't respond because his glowing words of praise for Maye, we're disingenuous. 

Thats the way it works, whats so shocking?  You can speak highly of someone at your price, not so much at his price

And what was JDs final offer?  Link?  

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, genot said:

As was his praise for Jamal adams, Sam Darnold, Adam Gase etc.  Exactly how a GM should operate.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you !!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, slats said:

Maye signed that tender as quickly as he could so that the Jets couldn’t pull it off the table. He’s made about $6.5M so far in his career, and is set to make $10.6M this year alone (about a million more than Jamalol). Sure, he wants more (who doesn’t?), but he had no intention of losing that pay day. I suspect that JD only used the tag because the tender for safeties is so low, too. Otherwise I think he would’ve made an offer and let him walk if it wasn’t accepted. 

Maye is not suffering by playing under the tag. And if he balls out this year, he can do it again for even more money. 

Very true, but the team could have waited to rescind the tag until other teams had exhausted their cap space. I don't know what that cutoff date is, or if it could've been rescinded well after the draft. i.e. tagged for just long enough to miss out on the meaty days/weeks of free agency.

41 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Also true, but all we have to go on is what has been leaked. If it's 3 yrs @ $8MM that's not a good faith offer.

If that's a bunch of bull**** put out by Maye's agent, then obviously that changes any assessment.

1 hour ago, genot said:

please post links to the Douglas quotes.  Then please post link to the offer that Douglas did make.

I need to read those things before I can agree or disagree.  Evidently, you have the data and the rest of us don't.  Please share!

• Post of the Week 1
1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Also true, but all we have to go on is what has been leaked. If it's 3 yrs @ $8MM that's not a good faith offer.

If that's a bunch of bull**** put out by Maye's agent, then obviously that changes any assessment.

What make it BS? He plays safety. The 10th highest paid safety in the league makes just over 10 mill and they offered him 8 per. That's actually quite fair for a non elite safety that isn't young and upcoming.   

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

What make it BS? He plays safety. The 10th highest paid safety in the league makes just over 10 mill and they offered him 8 per. That's actually quite fair for a non elite safety that isn't young and upcoming.   

As a current UFA he'd have fielded offers in the $11MM/yr range at worst. $8MM/year is a low-ball offer that puts him at about the 15th-highest safety salary (including contracts that were not only signed years ago, but that's further skewed by top 10-ish safeties still on their rookie deals, like Adams).

Adjusting for those two factors, that offer would place him outside the top 20 safeties, which is a low-ball offer for Maye.

For the 3rd time, I'm ok with just tagging him, but Douglas knows perfectly well he'd have no chance at signing Maye long term at $8MM, let alone without the franchise tag severely limiting the player's options.

Everyone knows good GMs give away money unnecessarily for sentimental reasons.  Good practice there!
This team went 2-14 last year. Neither of those players, Maye or Crowder, were Douglas acquisitions, and they aren’t part of the long-term future if the team. You can’t afford to be nice in this business AND be a good GM.  
What you are advocating here are Mike Maccagnan practices.  Good riddance to those kinds of policies.

No one here, as far as I can tell, is saying “throw a T. Johnson” contract at Maye. The long term team plan should contain some short term veterans and like Maye. I don’t think a 2 year deal (maybe with a non-guaranteed 3rd) for a very good starter is unreasonable. I am not saying to be nice and throw him a 2 year 28 million contract however a 2 year at 16 is not really a reasonable offer (the reported 20% below) when 10.6 is already in the bag for Maye.

Should JD have offered closer to a 2 year 21 or simply said “let’s run out the year and discuss” rather than lowballing? Probably, Maye may have turned down and the optics are not as bad. Also since we are not in any cap danger you could even front load the contract making room down the road.

Maye will likely play out this year at 10.6 so you can’t really feel bad for him!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Why do some of you think whatever a player asks for the GM has to agree to otherwise he's not acting in good faith?   

You have no idea what numbers were discussed and who was or wasnt acting in good faith.

All the reporting has been uniform. He was offered about 20% less than the Franchise tender. It was an offer that was bound to be turned down. 

I am going to swim against the current a little bit on this.

JD's job is to put a winning team on the field, not to win each player contract.   In almost all scenarios I can envision, at the current moment, having Maye on the Jets in 2022 would result in a better team.  If JD wants to easily replace Maye he needs to draft better.  Now, Ashtyn Davis is not replacing Maye, and I actually think that was the original play with Davis rather than pay Maye the franchise tag.

Maye needs to get paid.   There will be a team that needs a solid presence in the secondary who will pay Maye top dollar to either make or keep them competitive.   Unfortunately, the Jets are among the most logical candidates to be that team.

$8mm/year with $16mm guaranteed for 3 years would have been a good deal for the Jets, but Maye is betting he does not get hurt this year, and thus his 2021-2022 end up being over $20mm.   If the Jets are ready to make the move next year, I would not be offended to franchise him again, pay the money and then part ways.  

But I think it is oversimplistic to say that Maye should not be overpaid.  The Jets secondary is much, much worse without him. 

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Agree

Ehhhh nice player but easily replaceable with all the DB's on our roster who can play SS.  I'd prefer to save the money spent on Maye and allocate it to another egde rusher.  We MUST get to the QB in Saleh's defense.  The big contract went to Lawson this year. Look for 1 of the top 2 first rounders next year to go to an edge. I can see JD signing yet another edge since we got tons of cap space next year as well. You can never have enough pass rushers.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Maye is becoming Jamal Adams 2.0 is an absolute p.o.s scumbag for unfollowing our Jets on social media (damn near 30 year old drama queen).

I would have unfollowed them too. So would have most people. You work for a company, your company tells you how valuable you are, and what a great leader you've been. All of a sudden when it's time to get rewarded, you get a dollar, and a skinny turkey at christmas.

5 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Wow !!!

I'm just giving him the same Revis/Adams treatment that Jet fans hated them for.

The only difference? Those were All-Pro's.

Maye? Can't even get a 3rd round pick in return for. 

After unfollowing the Jets on Twitter and being more a fan of himself instead of my Jets? I hope to never see him play another snap for us. Would rather give A. Davis a chance. 

2 minutes ago, genot said:

All the reporting has been uniform. He was offered about 20% less than the Franchise tender. It was an offer that was bound to be turned down. 

Hint hint. Read betwenn the lines.  JD is NOT going to retain him long term and NOT offering him a multi year deal. IT AINT HAPENNING. JD takes no prisoners. He's shaping this team the wqay HE WANTS. Signing players in their prime like Lawson and Davis to nice phat contracts and throwing a few bones to verterans to balance out the roster. Maye is NOT in his long term plans,  It would be in Maye's and Jets best interest to trade Maye now to a contender that could benefit from his veteran experience and pay him closer to what he wants. And we'd get PICKS. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, genot said:

No one has a quote from any of the parties.  A few writers guessing that he was short changed all of 2 million and that he turned it down, the multi years, the security and the signing bonus makes him a moron.

• Upvote 1