Report: Jets not expected to reach deal with Maye

6 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Hint hint. Read betwenn the lines.  JD is NOT going to retain him long term and NOT offering him a multi year deal. IT AINT HAPENNING. JD takes no prisoners. He's shaping this team the wqay HE WANTS. Signing players in their prime like Lawson and Davis to nice phat contracts and throwing a few bones to verterans to balance out the roster. Maye is NOT in his long term plans,  It would be in Maye's and Jets best interest to trade Maye now to a contender that could benefit from his veteran experience and pay him closer to what he wants. And we'd get PICKS. 

You made my point. He lied, to get what he wanted. If you don't think that kind of strategy can backfire. Fine. I think it can.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, genot said:

I would have unfollowed them too. So would have most people. You work for a company, your company tells you how valuable you are, and what a great leader you've been. All of a sudden when it's time to get rewarded, you get a dollar, and a skinny turkey at christmas.

He’s making 11 million dollars this year and he will make even more than that if he’s tagged next year.

That is nowhere near “a dollar and a skinny Turkey.”

Maye plays a position that gets treated like the RB position.  That’s the way it goes.  The Steelers did this to Le’Veon Bell (Tag, tag, let him walk) and we learned the hard way that they were right to do so.  Hopefully Douglas doesn’t make the same mistake Maccagnan did.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

As was his praise for Jamal adams, Sam Darnold, Adam Gase etc.  Exactly how a GM should operate.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you !!

This is a GM who's team has won 6 games. Stop licking his balls. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He’s making 11 million dollars this year and he will make even more than that if he’s tagged next year.

That is nowhere near “a dollar and a skinny Turkey.”

Maye plays a position that gets treated like the RB position.  That’s the way it goes.  The Steelers did this to Le’Veon Bell (Tag, tag, let him walk) and we learned the hard way that they were right to do so.  Hopefully Douglas doesn’t make the same mistake Maccagnan did.

He wanted a longer term deal. Can't blame him for wanting some security for him and his family. 

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Im not judging him on his record here. The argument that you have to be dishonest to be a good GM is ridiculous. 

If you were part of the conversation I could see your point, I just don't see JD as being dishonest. I have seen players that are though.. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Maye is becoming Jamal Adams 2.0 is an absolute p.o.s scumbag for unfollowing our Jets on social media (damn near 30 year old drama queen).

No, now wait a minute here…  He unfollowed our Jets on social media?!? 

Yes, I feel the outrage. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, genot said:

He wanted a longer term deal. Can't blame him for wanting some security for him and his family. 

Last night the NFL channel played the longest game ever between the Chiefs and Fins. They asked some players how they felt today. Many players said at that time many had other jobs to help support their families now were talking how a player is screwed over that's making 11 million in one year?? I know it's not relative..

18 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

If you were part of the conversation I could see your point, I just don't see JD as being dishonest. I have seen players that are though.. 

This is not a statement on the respective skills of Darnold and Wilson. Davis signed here with the understanding that Darnold would be the QB. Who told him that? Had to be JD. Correct. 

37 minutes ago, genot said:

You made my point. He lied, to get what he wanted. If you don't think that kind of strategy can backfire. Fine. I think it can.

This is a big boy league.  

Gase gets maccagnan fired, brings in JD

JD guts the roster and fires Gase for losing 

JD recruits a top level in demand coaching staff.    Optics are for talk radio.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, genot said:

I would have unfollowed them too. So would have most people. You work for a company, your company tells you how valuable you are, and what a great leader you've been. All of a sudden when it's time to get rewarded, you get a dollar, and a skinny turkey at christmas.

Well your example is not great because that happens ALL the time.  Even worse you do not get franchise tagged you get let go.  Maye is lucky to be franchised and make that dough he is nothing at all special in he least.

As far as lying goes I'd have to be in the room to hear the lie.

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Maye is becoming Jamal Adams 2.0 is an absolute p.o.s scumbag for unfollowing our Jets on social media (damn near 30 year old drama queen).

Who gives a F that he stopped following the Jets on Instagram?  How does that make anyone a scumbag or a drama queen exactly?  How does it hurt anyone other than sensitive Mary fans who are acting like the real drama queens over this.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, genot said:

This is not a statement on the respective skills of Darnold and Wilson. Davis signed here with the understanding that Darnold would be the QB. Who told him that? Had to be JD. Correct. 

At the time Sam was the QB was he not?

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

This is a big boy league.  

Gase gets maccagnan fired, brings in JD

JD guts the roster and fires Gase for losing 

JD recruits a top level in demand coaching staff.    Optics are for talk radio.  

This is more than optics. Players in this league can choose when thier contract is up to play elsewhere or play hardball and not play until a trade is forced. Maye is highly regarded in that locker room. The fact that Maye feels slighted, is a feeling that could be shared by some of his teammates. Im not saying JD should throw up his hands and give Maye what he wants. If all the reports are true, i don't think this has been handled well by the Jet9

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, genot said:

You think a WR with an IQ over 50 would sign with the Jets because of Sam Darnold?

And better yet that JD promised him that Sam would be here no matter what?  Really?  You think GMs actually do that?  LOL

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well your example is not great because that happens ALL the time.  Even worse you do not get franchise tagged you get let go.  Maye is lucky to be franchised and make that dough he is nothing at all special in he least.

As far as lying goes I'd have to be in the room to hear the lie.

He might prefer being let go now. Maye never struck me as a me and my needs kind of player. He's pissed. He thinks he has a good reason to be. 

1 minute ago, genot said:

This is more than optics. Players in this league can choose when thier contract is up to play elsewhere or play hardball and not play until a trade is forced. Maye is highly regarded in that locker room. The fact that Maye feels slighted, is a feeling that could be shared by some of his teammates. Im not saying JD should throw up his hands and give Maye what he wants. If all the reports are true, i don't think this has been handled well by the Jet9

JD traded a highly regarded player named Steve McLendon to the Buc's who now has a ring I bet Steve loves JD..

You so want to blame JD for everything you think is unethical that you line up squarely behind player that are mediocre or worse.  Mayes not that good, hes an OK S, nothing more.

Players dont give a damn about or get involved in other players contract situations.  Thats business, has nothing to do with playing football.  And yes, you are saying that JD should throw up his hands and give Maye what he wants.  

He might prefer being let go now. Maye never struck me as a me and my needs kind of player. He's pissed. He thinks he has a good reason to be. 

You know hes pissed how exactly?  Instagram?  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

You think a WR with an IQ over 50 would sign with the Jets because of Sam Darnold?

And better yet that JD promised him that Sam would be here no matter what?  Really?  You think GMs actually do that?  LOL

You think that a WR.  signs with a team without having an interest in who the QB is.Lol. Davis said and i quote. " it's my understanding that Darnold will be the QB here" Who did he get that understanding from.

1 minute ago, genot said:

You think that a WR.  signs with a team without having an interest in who the QB is.Lol. Davis said and i quote. " it's my understanding that Darnold will be the QB here" Who did he get that understanding from.

Looked at the roster and saw Sam was the QB I bet..

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

JD traded a highly regarded player named Steve McLendon to the Buc's who now has a ring I bet Steve loves JD..

We didn't need him. We need Maye. Avery Williamson also is grateful to JD. It wasn't about money with them. It is with Maye. 

Just now, genot said:

No, I think, like anyone else who watches football, make that sports, he goes where he can get the best deal.  

"it's my understanding that Darnold will be the QB here" means he understood that the 23 year old QB who was the starter the last three years was the QB back in March.  Nothing cryptic, there is not a chance in hell JD is telling prospective FA WRs that he was or wasnt going to accept a trade for Sam and draft a better QB 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Steve McLendon was a shell of his former self. 

JD did him a solid. 

Our DL will not miss him. 

But more importantly Bart Scott talked about the McLendon move and said that players around the league take notice that JD let a vet get a chance at a ring

Just now, Savage69 said:

Looked at the roster and saw Sam was the QB I bet..

Be serious. Davis knows how to read. Darnold remaining with the Jet's was an open question, talked about ad nauseum. All the more reason to inquire about the future of the QB position, if your a WR thinking of signing here.

47 minutes ago, genot said:

The tag from this year, alone, could take care of his family and their kids if he’s simply smart with his money.  The tag next year can take care of two more generations if that’s where he wants to put his fortune to use.  He can want a longer term deal all he wants.  

A smart GM doesn’t negotiate with emotions.  He does what is best for the team.  What’s best for the team is putting money towards young and quality players who play high priority positions.

I like Maye.  He’s a good guy and a good player.  He is, also, going to be 29 at the start of next season, plays a low value position and, most importantly, the Jets can tag him again.  They are best served tagging him twice and letting him walk or trading him next season.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, genot said:

We didn't need him. We need Maye. Avery Williamson also is grateful to JD. It wasn't about money with them. It is with Maye. 

We won 2 whole games with Maye last year.  There is no such thing as a Safety You “need”.  Maybe Ed Reed fit that bill once upon a time.  Marcus Maye is not Ed Reed.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

But more importantly Bart Scott talked about the McLendon move and said that players around the league take notice that JD let a vet get a chance at a ring

And the players around the league ate also taking notice on how Maye has been treated Fairly or unfairly.. Which is my main concern here.

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The tag from this year, alone, could take care of his family and their kids if he’s simply smart with his money.  The tag next year can take care of two more generations if that’s where he wants to put his fortune to use.  He can want a longer term deal all he wants.  

A smart GM doesn’t negotiate with emotions.  He does what is best for the team.  What’s best for the team is putting money towards young and quality players who play high priority positions.

I like Maye.  He’s a good guy and a good player.  He is, also, going to be 29 at the start of next season, plays a low value position and, most importantly, the Jets can tag him again.  They are best served tagging him twice and letting him walk or trading him next season.

You cant argue with these guys.  If it was up to them wed have Jamal Adams as the highest paid safety in the league and Sam Darnold locked up for the next 5 years at 35 mil a year.  And we would have overpaid every overrated player in free agency this offseason and be up against the cap.

We have the best young GM in the league crushing every move he makes.  The Darnold lovers cant stand douglas and its hysterical.  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

• Upvote 1