Report: Jets not expected to reach deal with Maye

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

We won 2 whole games with Maye last year.  There is no such thing as a Safety You “need”.  Maybe Ed Reed fit that bill once upon a time.  Marcus Maye is not Ed Reed.

He's a veteran presence in a young suspect secondary. We need him. 

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

But more importantly Bart Scott talked about the McLendon move and said that players around the league take notice that JD let a vet get a chance at a ring

Absolutely JD sooner than later will be respected around the NFL when we are hoisting the Super Bowl trophy a lot sooner than anyone thinks. 

The NY Jets are finally a respectable organization something we haven't been in years. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

If you genuinely believe that Joe Douglas gave Corey Davis a firm commitment on who the QB would be during his FA pitch, I have a bridge to sell you.

No. I don't believe he said Sam will without question be here. He never on the other hand said he wouldn't be. 

4 minutes ago, genot said:

Be serious. Davis knows how to read. Darnold remaining with the Jet's was an open question, talked about ad nauseum. All the more reason to inquire about the future of the QB position, if your a WR thinking of signing here.

And I bet after seeing Wilson he's as happy as a clam.. I think we all get it by now you think JD is a mean lying SOB who is forcing Maye and his family on food stamps to survive..

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, genot said:

No. I don't believe he said Sam will without question be here. He never on the other hand said he wouldn't be. 

So then it was a wash and Corey Davis decided to sign here with the understanding that Sam Darnold might not be his QB, not the other way around because “Douglas must have told him that”, like you said.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You cant argue with these guys.  If it was up to them wed have Jamal Adams as the highest paid safety in the league and Sam Darnold locked up for the next 5 years at 35 mil a year.  And we would have overpaid every overrated player in free agency this offseason and be up against the cap.

We have the best young GM in the league crushing every move he makes.  The Darnold lovers cant stand douglas and its hysterical.  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

Sam Darnold has nothing to do with Maye. We won 2 games last year. I never said anything about how much he should make. For all you know Maye shouldn't make more than 5 mill a year in my view.we have a bunch of players on 1 or two year deals. A turnstyle roster isn't a recipe for success. 

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Davis signed here because Douglas gave him $25,000,000 Guant'd  over 2 years.

I know why he signed here. My point was about JD and whether at times he plays loose with his intentions to get what he wants. Some here think that's a smart approach. In a league though where olayers can disrupt chemistry on a team. Im not sure that politicians approach to communicating will serve him well in the long run

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Davis signed here because Douglas gave him $25,000,000 Guant'd  over 2 years.

Which, based on his lackluster performance in Tennessee, was far from a "great" signing.  It is a high risk FA grab for a player that has had his well deserved share of "1st round bust" criticism.

5 minutes ago, genot said:

I know why he signed here. My point was about JD and whether at times he plays loose with his intentions to get what he wants. Some here think that's a smart approach. In a league though where olayers can disrupt chemistry on a team. Im not sure that politicians approach to communicating will serve him well in the long run

Wow that's even worse then the Civil War..:eek:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

So then it was a wash and Corey Davis decided to sign here with the understanding that Sam Darnold might not be his QB, not the other way around because “Douglas must have told him that”, like you said.

Jd knew when he signed Davis Sam wasn't going to be here. Cmon.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

He’s making 11 million dollars this year and he will make even more than that if he’s tagged next year.

That is nowhere near “a dollar and a skinny Turkey.”

Maye plays a position that gets treated like the RB position.  That’s the way it goes.  The Steelers did this to Le’Veon Bell (Tag, tag, let him walk) and we learned the hard way that they were right to do so.  Hopefully Douglas doesn’t make the same mistake Maccagnan did.

If he's making $11MM this year, then guaranteeing 2yrs/$16MM (as 2/3 of a 3 yr $24MM contract, assuming it even lays out that well with 2/3 guaranteed) means he wants Maye to lock himself into $5MM for the 2022 season. Meh. IMO don't bother with a disingenuous offer everyone knows he's not signing. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

This is more than optics. Players in this league can choose when thier contract is up to play elsewhere or play hardball and not play until a trade is forced. Maye is highly regarded in that locker room. The fact that Maye feels slighted, is a feeling that could be shared by some of his teammates. Im not saying JD should throw up his hands and give Maye what he wants. If all the reports are true, i don't think this has been handled well by the Jet9

You mean the agent leaks?

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

And I bet after seeing Wilson he's as happy as a clam.. I think we all get it by now you think JD is a mean lying SOB who is forcing Maye and his family on food stamps to survive..

Lol. Stop it. I've said a hundred times, JD has done some impressive things here. Im not sure that he's done the right thing by Marcus Maye, though. Well. I don't think he's done the right thing by him. I want all our good players, who aren't locker room distractions here as long as possible. At a fair market value. 

15 minutes ago, genot said:

Lol. Stop it. I've said a hundred times, JD has done some impressive things here. Im not sure that he's done the right thing by Marcus Maye, though. Well. I don't think he's done the right thing by him. I want all our good players, who aren't locker room distractions here as long as possible. At a fair market value. 

Unfortunately with the Cap that is a hard thing to do.. 

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If he's making $11MM this year, then guaranteeing 2yrs/$16MM (as 2/3 of a 3 yr $24MM contract, assuming it even lays out that well with 2/3 guaranteed) means he wants Maye to lock himself into $5MM for the 2022 season. Meh. IMO don't bother with a disingenuous offer everyone knows he's not signing. 

I agree.  I prefer the team just do what the Steelers did with Bell.  Recognize that he won’t be here long term, tag him while they can, and either trade him or let him walk for a comp pick.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, genot said:

I didn’t say otherwise.  I said that it was ridiculous to think that JD gave him a concrete answer either way.  You’re the one who claimed that Davis must have been told by JD that Sam was going to be the QB when he signed and, therefore, JD is dishonest.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, genot said:

im not to sure

with all the talk about trading the #2 pick JD might have done it. if he got an offer he couldnt refuse.

and the SF trade happened a week after we signed Davis. if the trade fell apart maybe SF calls JD and makes a crazy offer he cant say no to? 

and its no coincidence that Sam got traded 10 days after the trade. i think he left his options open until then. probably figured no team would give more than SF did for the 2nd pick. 

7 minutes ago, doitny said:

im not to sure

with all the talk about trading the #2 pick JD might have done it. if he got an offer he couldnt refuse.

and the SF trade happened a week after we signed Davis. if the trade fell apart maybe SF calls JD and makes a crazy offer he cant say no to? 

and its no coincidence that Sam got traded 10 days after the trade. i think he left his options open until then. probably figured no team would give more than SF did for the 2nd pick. 

From what I know and have heard, the “final decision” to move on from Sam came after Zach’s pro-day.  They were already leaning towards drafting him at that point (I got this “leaning towards draft” information and posted it here around March 17th, I believe), but watching him up close and getting the medicals solidified it.

• Upvote 1

Maye's 2021 performance is his big opportunity to land a big contract when he becomes UFA next March.  Good for the Jets on the field this season.  And, fwiw, the better his next contract, the higher the comp pick if Douglas manages UFAs correctly and qualifies the Jets to get one.  

I honestly don’t understand this narrative of the Jets not paying their homegrown players.

Who the hell has been worth keeping over the last decade?

Maye is a good player but am I going to sh*t bricks over Douglas not wanting to pay $12-14 million a year for a very good, yet very unspectacular safety who is fastly approaching 30 years old?

The Jets just drafted Davis in the 3rd round last year, brought in a guy like Joyner, and then drafted two LB/S hybrids in Sherwood and Hamsah.

Get the hell out of here

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I honestly don’t understand this narrative of the Jets not paying their homegrown players.

Who the hell has been worth keeping over the last decade?

Maye is a good player but am I going to sh*t bricks over Douglas not wanting to pay $12-14 million a year for a very good, yet very unspectacular safety who is fastly approaching 30 years old?

The Jets just drafted Davis in the 3rd round last year, brought in a guy like Joyner, and then drafted two LB/S hybrids in Sherwood and Hamsah.

Get the hell out of here

Then let him hit the open market. Why franchise him. If the Jet's don't have him in their plans long term. Don't lie and say you do.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, genot said:

Then let him hit the open market. Why franchise him. If the Jet's don't have him in their plans long term. Don't lie and say you do.

Because the Jets own his rights for this season and the next if need be and despite not being a star, he’s still a valuable cog in the defense.

Jets fans just 6-7 years ago were bitching about giving Revis, arguably the greatest CB to ever step on a football field, $16 million a year and now they’re trying to dupe themselves into giving something similar to Marcus Maye, who plays probably the least important position on defense…

It’s goofy 

If we can keep Maye around for $8-10 million a season on a 3 year deal, then do it.

Otherwise, let him play out the tag and part ways amicably in 2022.

• Upvote 3