5 Common Misconceptions About the NY Jets Defense

Good write up re the linebackers. I think the particulars of various packages can sometimes get lost around here when we are debating what 2 OLB are going to see the field together when in reality they really won't, much. I think MC2 or whoever ends up being our designated slot CB will likely end up with more snaps than whoever is our 3rd LB. Aside from games against maybe the Patriots where I could see us going more straight 4-3 with one of our hybrid S/OLB as the 2nd OLB against all those 2 TE packages. 

And for whatever it's worth, Azeez Al-Shaair, the niners 3rd/rotational LB is listed on their site at 228lbs. On this team I could definitely see that 3rd LB spot going to one of our hybrid guys like Sherwood or... ?

...? Thats it! Hamsah Nasirildeen was obviously drafted to be our Azeez Al-Shaair!! Its the Robert Saleh cultural connection ?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

1 Common misconception - The Jets D isnt going to be good.

This will be a top 10 defense by the end of the year.

if saleh is real they will be better towards the end.  it means he's getting through and the players are learning the system and how to play as a team.  same thing goes for the offense.  let's hope this is the case.

• Upvote 3

5 Common Misconceptions about the 2020 Jets defense.

1.  They did in fact, play 11 people at a time

2.  They were aware it wasn't flag football

3.  They did not practice a "Blitz 11 package" where all 11 members blitz the QB, leaving no one to guard a WR.

4.  They did not think it was "Rude" or "Being a Bully" to hit the other teams QB

5.  Greg Williams was not secretly trying to sabotage Gase by doing an even worse job.

• Haha 3

On 7/15/2021 at 3:47 PM, Lurker89 said:

I see a lot of potential in our D... There are gonna be growing pains but I'm not as worried as some.

Agreed.  And the thing to remember is that this is the eval year. Lots of young players and a first time regime. I think we will be better than a lot of people think, but growing pains and speed bumps are gonna be weekly for this group. 

JD just needs to see how he needs to use those 11 picks next draft. Letting the coaching staff develop and use the wealth of young players we have now is the order of the day. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed.  And the thing to remember is that this is the eval year. Lots of young players and a first time regime. I think we will be better than a lot of people think, but growing pains and speed bumps are gonna be weekly for this group. 

JD just needs to see how he needs to use those 11 picks next draft. Letting the coaching staff develop and use the wealth of young players we have now is the order of the day. 

Totally agree. I do not have a lot to substantiate this other than some things that Saleh and Ulbrich have said and the types of players that we drafted in defense but I really feel like the Jets defense is going to be different than the defenses Saleh has run the in past focusing more on a base 4-2-5 alignment with the SS and Will and sometimes slot corner sort of in a interchangeable "Jamal" role where we can exert blitz-like pressure while still only rushing 4 and still using zone to protect our CBs

• Upvote 2

On 7/17/2021 at 11:09 AM, GREENBEAN said:

The Jets will certainly be vastly improved now that the roster, for all intents and purposes, has been almost completely overhauled with as many as 25 to 30 new players on the team. To your point, pertaining to the 11 draft choices. It's gets harder and harder as you get better to become a SB team. JD will need to know where he wants to use those 11 and what positions will most benefit the team overall. It's one thing to be improved, but it's something entirely different to continue to draft well even when you're no longer picking in the top 10. That's what "sustained success" looks like and very few teams in the NFL are able to maintain that standard. The Chiefs, Steelers, Saints.... All those teams come to mind when I'm thinking about teams that also draft well ironically. So the two go hand in hand and that's what Joe Douglas claims he's trying to build here.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

The Jets will certainly be vastly improved now that the roster, for all intents and purposes, has been almost completely overhauled with as many as 25 to 30 new players on the team. To your point, pertaining to the 11 draft choices. It's gets harder and harder as you get better to become a SB team. JD will need to know where he wants to use those 11 and what positions will most benefit the team overall. It's one thing to be improved, but it's something entirely different to continue to draft well even when you're no longer picking in the top 10. That's what "sustained success" looks like and very few teams in the NFL are able to maintain that standard. The Chiefs, Steelers, Saints.... All those teams come to mind when I'm thinking about teams that also draft well ironically. So the two go hand in hand and that's what Joe Douglas claims he's trying to build here.

Also why I think we are sticking with our CB and QB groups

20 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Just shows how terrible Idzik and Macc were at drafting. For one of -- or the -- least talented team in the league it should be relatively easy to find contributors in the draft -- look at who you're trying to replace. As you say, gets harder to "hit" in the draft when you're working with a team that's already strong and drafting later in rounds.

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2021 at 12:14 PM, NYJ1 said:

Interestingly you can add the Ravens to that list. And that's where JD comes from.  The future isn't written, but we have a good chance to see sustained success here with JD.  He's done a bang up job creating capital out of players he didn't want.  He created an entire draft class worth of additional picks.  That's a pretty good start 

53 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Lol, I remember the raiders running 17 consecutive times vs the Ted Cottrell / Herm D.  

And that was how long ago?  If the team starts getting gashed, sure, it’ll be a concern.  But that really hasn’t been the case very often over the years and yet the team has still sucked.