Jump to content

The Marcus Maye Situation


JetNation
 Share

Recommended Posts

Marcus Maye

GreenBean is hanging out at Lake George this week. The topic of the day is Marcus Maye and the dissolving contract negotiations. So many positive reports for the Jets recently, positive news everywhere throughout OTAs from Zach Wilson to Elijah Moore.

Then you have the Marcus Maye situation, he has been a loyal Jet and was expecting a long term deal. Now the reports are saying that isn’t happening. It is a bad look for the Jets that they haven’t given any of their own players a new contract. Jamison Crowder and Marcus Maye are two Jets that were deserving. Now Crowder is back on a restructured deal that will probably be his last with the team.

GreenBean breaks down what the Jets are reportedly offering and where things stand. Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Be sure to check out all of our NY Jets videos on YouTube and subscribe.

The post The Marcus Maye Situation appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/q0NDShWgh2w

Click here to read the full story...

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

As someone said in another thread, a 30 YO wide receiver and a fast approaching 30 YO are not in the future plans of this organization. A 21 YO slot who will have similar production at 1/10th the cost on his rookie deal. Having Ashtyn Davis or any 3 of the other draft picks step up this year is the reason Maye is on a year-to-year contract. If someone steps up this year Maye will be FA next year and speak his big payday from some other team.

Plus these guys were not JD signings..

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Savage69 said:

Plus these guys were not JD signings..

And even if they were, you don't sign aging players to avoid a "bad look." We signed guys like Bell and Mosley to "look" good, to look like we were trying to win.

I like Maye and would love for him to stay a Jet for a couple of more years, but not at a price that will hurt this team sign/re-sign a WR, OL, Edge, CB.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And even if they were, you don't sign aging players to avoid a "bad look." We signed guys like Bell and Mosley to "look" good, to look like we were trying to win.

I like Maye and would love for him to stay a Jet for a couple of more years, but not at a price that will hurt this team sign/re-sign a WR, OL, Edge, CB.  

I don’t think you can compare the Mosely and Bell signings to Maye, they were desperate FA signings and Bell is the longest tenured Jet on the team right now and I believe that actually means something in the locker room. The agree with the 2nd part though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Jets fans sure do love our players up until they want to get paid 

Justifiably when they want to get paid more than the market warrants.  Maye wants top 5 safety money, but is he even top 10?  I am sure that when some of the current players on the roster perform at a high level and it is time to sign 2nd contracts, they'll get paid.  Maye is replaceable.  Crowder has one foot out the door already and will be elsewhere next season.  His renegotiation paid for Moses.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Jets fans sure do love our players up until they want to get paid 

Not me. I've never been like that as a fan.

I always defended both Darrelle Revis and Jamal Adams and always wanted them to get paid and defended them every chance I got (as Football players).

Marcus Maye? Hah. He's different. He's not an All-Pro. He's not even a Pro Bowler. And I've never liked him. I've actually crapped all over him since the day we passed on my dude Dalvin Cook out of FSU. 

Jets fans harped all over and nitpicked Jamal Adams because of a "lack of INTs" (from a strong safety 😂) but felt like it was acceptable to ignore the lack of INTs from a supposedly ball hawking FS with a whooping 6 career INTs now heading into his 5th year? 

I always thought it was hypocritical. 

Heck I even watched Robby Anderson to get paid but Marcus Maye? Heck no.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

(Quoted below in non-bold is from an article I read online)

"Deadline day was quiet across the league with one exception: The Panthers replaced the tag with a four-year, $72 million extension for offensive tackle Taylor Moton.

No deals got done for receivers Chris Godwin (Buccaneers) and Allen Robinson (Bears), offensive linemen Cam Robinson (Jaguars) and Brandon Scherff (Washington) or safety Marcus Williams (Saints) and safety Marcus Maye (Jets). It’s the second-straight tag year for Scherff. 

Maye will be the first Jet to play on the tag since Abraham in 2005. The difference is Maye has already signed his tag — about two weeks after it was applied — whereas Abraham waited until the end of training camp to sign.

It is not known if Maye — who skipped voluntary spring workouts but attended mandatory minicamp — will try to send a message by reporting late to training camp. Under the collective bargaining agreement ratified in 2020, signed players who hold out for five days or fewer at the start of camp are not subject to fines, but a sixth day could result in forfeiting 15 percent of salary. Teams are allowed to add 1 percent for each subsequent day of a holdout up to 25 percent."

(I hope he tries to send a message by holding out during training camp in order for the Jets to begin fining him and in order for him to lose out on even more $$$.

Because with two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks and one 3rd round pick I literally can not wait for both of JD/Saleh to replace him with a true BALL HAWKING Free Safety).

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, jgb said:

Jets fans sure do love our players up until they want to get paid 

I don't "love" Marcus Maye and never have.  I like him and still do.  Dunno what these inconsistent fools are doing getting all emotional about his contract situation.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

As someone said in another thread, a 30 YO wide receiver and a fast approaching 30 YO are not in the future plans of this organization. A 21 YO slot who will have similar production at 1/10th the cost on his rookie deal. Having Ashtyn Davis or any 3 of the other draft picks step up this year is the reason Maye is on a year-to-year contract. If someone steps up this year Maye will be FA next year and speak his big payday from some other team.

Trade him NOW to one of those teams that offered him a better contract and be done with it.  We might get a 3 or 4 for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Trade him NOW to one of those teams that offered him a better contract and be done with it.  We might get a 3 or 4 for him.

Lol with JDs track record he may get a 2, but new team could not give him a new contract so the trade angle is not likely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Lol with JDs track record he may get a 2, but new team could not give him a new contract so the trade angle is not likely.

a #2 would be sweet!  New team could offer signing bonus though and a new contract the following year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

a #2 would be sweet!  New team could offer signing bonus though and a new contract the following year. 

yeah it would require a handshake type of agreement for a future contract with numbers. It happens but not so sure Maye is important enough for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

yeah it would require a handshake type of agreement for a future contract with numbers. It happens but not so sure Maye is important enough for that.

Probably not but if you can get a team to bite on Adams for 2 #1's, anything is plausible.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, jgb said:

Jets fans sure do love our players up until they want to get paid 

I think it's fine to pay guys but it sure is refreshing to see that the sieve has been plugged where overpaying is concerned. Just the fact that his agent is out there giving this info shows that he is in a poor negotiating position. That's why he's doing it. Trying to get public pressure on JD to bend or to make him look bad in the process. 

Not paying guys is new around here man. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ECURB said:

This is really not a big deal. He gets to prove he can stay healthy all year and earn a 3 year deal or become a free agent and the jets get a supplemental draft pick.

All roads end well for the jets

And that's why I think JD is standing in the right place on this one. Sure we'd all love to see Maye get signed but if it's not at a number JD wants to pay then he shouldn't pay him. We technically have him for 2021 and 2022 for less than $23 mil. Why would JD pay more than that?  Because of optics?  I don't think it's as negative as a lot of people think it is.  Balancing the cap and roster > our feelings. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

a #2 would be sweet!  New team could offer signing bonus though and a new contract the following year. 

Make it a 2nd and a 4th in 2023 to make it more attractive to other teams.  We have enough picks next year anyway. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I think it's fine to pay guys but it sure is refreshing to see that the sieve has been plugged where overpaying is concerned. Just the fact that his agent is out there giving this info shows that he is in a poor negotiating position. That's why he's doing it. Trying to get public pressure on JD to bend or to make him look bad in the process. 

Not paying guys is new around here man. 

Of course you are 100% accurate.  How painful was it to watch Trumane Johson play like garbage while pulling in around $14M per year, and then get cut while we still owe him a ton of money.  How painful was it when our wide receiver who was recovering from a serious neck injury signs a big extension, only to never play for the Jets again due to the same neck injury.  How about when Wilkerson got his big contract, then disappeared into oblivion? Paying CJ Moseley huge money, then watching him get hurt in game #1, then him opting out in season #2?

I could go on and on and on and on.  It can be a little frustrating when the Jets play hardball with players that we want to keep, but if JD doesn't play hardball now, we get to watch the Jets play softball in the regular season games.  Winning starts with preparation, and JD is preparing the Jets to succeed in the future.

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

must be pretty slow jets news.  maye has been quite the topic since he was franchised instead of extended.  i think everyone gets maye is a good player.  he is.  but what's the price for the jets to keep him as opposed to some other team?  we saw adams move on and it looks like he's not going to get the big money he thinks we's worth.  it happens.  it's also good to not see the ridiculous money being handed out like mac did with mosely.  i read the other day that mosely's cap hit next year will be something like 23 million if he's cut.  i don't claim to know much about the money structures but it seems like mac threw an awful lot of good money after bad.  douglas is cleaning up the balance sheet.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

must be pretty slow jets news.  maye has been quite the topic since he was franchised instead of extended.  i think everyone gets maye is a good player.  he is.  but what's the price for the jets to keep him as opposed to some other team?  we saw adams move on and it looks like he's not going to get the big money he thinks we's worth.  it happens.  it's also good to not see the ridiculous money being handed out like mac did with mosely.  i read the other day that mosely's cap hit next year will be something like 23 million if he's cut.  i don't claim to know much about the money structures but it seems like mac threw an awful lot of good money after bad.  douglas is cleaning up the balance sheet.

That's just it. People don't fully appreciate the clean up job that has taken place around here. Usually we just try to stack more sh*t on top of the sh*t that's already here. JD spent 2 years scrubbing this joint of the stink. Maye is a good player and it would be nice to keep him, but there is no reason to overpay for him when we already have him for 2 yrs at $10 mil average. 

JD is smart and is doing things the right way. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Alka said:

Of course you are 100% accurate.  How painful was it to watch Trumane Johson play like garbage while pulling in around $14M per year, and then get cut while we still owe him a ton of money.  How painful was it when our wide receiver who was recovering from a serious neck injury signs a big extension, only to never play for the Jets again due to the same neck injury.  How about when Wilkerson got his big contract, then disappeared into oblivion? Paying CJ Moseley huge money, then watching him get hurt in game #1, then him opting out in season #2?

I could go on and on and on and on.  It can be a little frustrating when the Jets play hardball with players that we want to keep, but if JD doesn't play hardball now, we get to watch the Jets play softball in the regular season games.  Winning starts with preparation, and JD is preparing the Jets to succeed in the future.

Absolutely man.  The Mosely contract is so airtight bad that JD can't even get out from it.  We are hoping hes a great player for us but he's gonna be a massive drain on our resources where there shouldn't be one.  Bell, Enunwa and Tru were bad enough that we are literaly still paying for them, but Mosely is even worse. 

Dumping $14 mil into Maye would be foolish. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Absolutely man.  The Mosely contract is so airtight bad that JD can't even get out from it.  We are hoping hes a great player for us but he's gonna be a massive drain on our resources where there shouldn't be one.  Bell, Enunwa and Tru were bad enough that we are literaly still paying for them, but Mosely is even worse. 

Dumping $14 mil into Maye would be foolish. 

Just do it for a year to pizz off Adams 🤪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Absolutely man.  The Mosely contract is so airtight bad that JD can't even get out from it.  We are hoping hes a great player for us but he's gonna be a massive drain on our resources where there shouldn't be one.  Bell, Enunwa and Tru were bad enough that we are literaly still paying for them, but Mosely is even worse. 

Dumping $14 mil into Maye would be foolish. 

And do you know when all Jets fans will be on the same train going in the same direction?  The answer is when we start to win games.  Then it will be like an epiphany, where everyone will wake up to the fact that JD is doing things the "right way".  

I liken the Jets to a rudderless ship, going in all directions, never arriving at a destination, because the only thing that matters is making things look good, by signing big players for big money, so that the GM in charge can fool the ownership into thinking that he knows what he is doing.

JD is now the captain of the ship, and he is taking no prisoners!!!

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Alka said:

And do you know when all Jets fans will be on the same train going in the same direction?  The answer is when we start to win games.  Then it will be like an epiphany, where everyone will wake up to the fact that JD is doing things the "right way".  

I liken the Jets to a rudderless ship, going in all directions, never arriving at a destination, because the only thing that matters is making things look good, by signing big players for big money, so that the GM in charge can fool the ownership into thinking that he knows what he is doing.

JD is now the captain of the ship, and he is taking no prisoners!!!

I don't know anyone atm who isn't on board with JD and Salah or very passionate about overpaying Maye.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I think it's fine to pay guys but it sure is refreshing to see that the sieve has been plugged where overpaying is concerned. Just the fact that his agent is out there giving this info shows that he is in a poor negotiating position. That's why he's doing it. Trying to get public pressure on JD to bend or to make him look bad in the process. 

Not paying guys is new around here man. 

Don’t get me wrong I agree with Jets’ approach. This defense going to be terrible this year no need for a guy like Maye on a long term contract. Just musing how he went from the good guy team player who was better than Adams anyway when Adams was throwing his hissy fit to now being a greedy, disloyal SOB in many fans’ eyes. I get it, fans are emotionally invested. Doesn’t mean I can’t laugh about it. He was named team MVP is now being low balled. I understand the Jets perspective and his. There are no villains here.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Don’t get me wrong I agree with Jets’ approach. This defense going to be terrible this year no need for a guy like Maye on a long term contract. Just musing how he went from the good guy team player who was better than Adams anyway when Adams was throwing his hissy fit to now being a greedy, disloyal SOB in many fans’ eyes. I get it, fans are emotionally invested. Doesn’t mean I can’t laugh about it. He was named team MVP is now being low balled. I understand the Jets perspective and his. There are no villains here.

No villians. Not sure about that one. I think out of loyalty to his teammates he was suckered into signing a franchise tender, believing he would be offered a fair deal, based on all the statements coming from the Jet's. Look at Logan Ryan's deal. That would have been a fair deal for both sides. JD made a very low offer that he must have known wouldn't be accepted. He wants him here this year to be the on field teacher to all these young guys. Next year it would be waving goodbye to Maye.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, genot said:

No villians. Not sure about that one. I think out of loyalty to his teammates he was suckered into signing a franchise tender, believing he would be offered a fair deal, based on all the statements coming from the Jet's. Look at Logan Ryan's deal. That would have been a fair deal for both sides. JD made a very low offer that he must have known wouldn't be accepted. He wants him here this year to be the on field teacher to all these young guys. Next year it would be waving goodbye to Maye.

Still dont understand who the villain is from your perspective 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 2:49 PM, JetNation said:

It is a bad look for the Jets that they haven’t given any of their own players a new contract. Jamison Crowder and Marcus Maye are two Jets that were deserving. Now Crowder is back on a restructured deal that will probably be his last with the team.

 

Why is it a 'bad look.'  We gave Crowder (from another regime) a restructured contract.  He wouldn't have got much more on the open market.  

As for Mayes....he was drafted by another regime.  He plays a position FAR down on the scale of important signings.  I personally have zero issue with Joe Douglas not giving a long-term contract to a safety.  We will have safeties who step up and do what Maye can do.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...