Jump to content

What Current Non QB Player Would You Add To The Jets?


Recommended Posts

If you could add any current non QB player to the Jets who would you add? 

Almost every year lately I’ve picked an OL but this year I’d say Tarvis Kelce. He’d be a huge help to Zach and the growth of the team. Zach would have his go to target and security blanket that’s a nightmare to cover. 

Derrick Henry would be second for the same reasons. He’d take a lot of pressure off Zach running the ball down the defense’s throat and bringing players in tighter. 
 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Easy.

Aaron Donald

Because both of Aaron Donald and Quinnen Williams on the same D-Line as 4-3 DTs together and with Carl Lawson @ 4-3 DE?

Would become down right more dominant than even the NY sack exchange. 

Ironic you picked a defensive player lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Ironic you picked a defensive player lol

Well for the first time in a long time it's ironic but our Offense is further along than our Defense (imo).

QB: Zach Wilson.

RB: Michael Carter. 

WR: Elijah Moore. 

WR: Denzel Mims. 

WR: Corey Davis. 

WR: Jamison Crowder. 

LT: Mekhi Becton.

LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker. 

RT: Morgan Moses. 

I really (already) like these 9 Offensive players mentioned above and unfortunately I can't say the same about our Defense. 

DT: Quinnen Williams. 

DE: Carl Lawson. 

OLB: Hamsah Nasirildeen (FSU fan).

MLB (C.J. Mosley).

(I hate Marcus Maye a supposedly ball hawking FS with a whooping 6 freaking career INTs and have hated him since passing on Dalvin Cook).

And until proven otherwise those are literally the only 4 Jets defensive players who I'm TRULY looking forward to seeing and 100% fired up to watch (everyone else who I can think of is nothing more than untapped potential and blind optimism). 

I'm a Defensive minded Football fan. Born in 1985 (same year as the 85' Bears so I guess it's in my DNA). But I'm not a Defensive minded Homer. I'm strict when it comes to judging Defensive players and it's a lot harder to impress me (than it is on Offense). 

wp7973873.thumb.jpg.8c32838f541ea658ad75bb399d4fd342.jpg

WR, JUSTIN JEFFERSON, NY JETS.

88 catches, 1400 receiving yards and 7 TD receptions as a 21 year old rookie last year (more receptions and more receiving yards than Randy Moss during his rookie year).

If I could give Zach Wilson just 1 offensive weapon to grow old alongside of on Offense? I'm easily replacing Corey Davis with a true #1 WR on the outside in Justin Jefferson; and there's not a single NFL TE out there over the middle that can match this kids numbers on the outside.

(and most great TEs are drafted 3rd-5th rounds so imo it's silly to pick them within this hypothetical situation).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Chase Young. That guy would become a legend in NY

With the broad national television coverage the NFL gets, plus the internet, streaming, and the salary cap, location is basically irrelevant.  There is no advantage to playing in NY.  Aaron Rodgers plays in GB and Mahomes in KC.   I can name many players in small markets that are among the most popular players in the league. I'd love to have Young on the Jets because of his talent and age.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

With the broad national television coverage the NFL gets, plus the internet, streaming, and the salary cap, location is basically irrelevant.  There is no advantage to playing in NY.  Aaron Rodgers plays in GB and Mahomes in KC.   I can name many players in small markets that are among the most popular players in the league. I'd love to have Young on the Jets because of his talent and age.  

There's definitely still a advantage it just doesn't prevent someone from being a star in a smaller market.  There's levels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Easy.

Aaron Donald

Because both of Aaron Donald and Quinnen Williams on the same D-Line as 4-3 DTs together and with Carl Lawson @ 4-3 DE?

Would become down right more dominant than even the NY sack exchange. 

Why would you add a player to arguably the strongest position both starters and depth wise on the team ? Where you going to put Rankins ? Not even close to the Sack Exchange that DL alone had 2 20 sack guys and more than 55 sacks of the 64 and Im pretty sure you will never see that again in the NFL.

I would add Jaire Alexander GB Packers CB

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Why would you add a player to arguably the strongest position both starters and depth wise on the team ? Where you going to put Rankins ? Not even close to the Sack Exchange that DL alone had 2 20 sack guys and more than 55 sacks of the 64 and Im pretty sure you will never see that again in the NFL.

I would add Jaire Alexander GB Packers CB

Because "Sheldon Rankins" is no AARON DONALD

And Quinnen Williams + Aaron Donald = QBs worst nightmare. 

Aaron Donald/Quinnen Williams/Carl Lawson = 40-50 sacks. 

And I'd never pick a CB in Robert Saleh's cover 3 zone scheme.

Aaron Donald is the most dominant Defensive player in all of Football and having Quinnen Williams play alongside of Aaron Donald (imo) would be a lot more FUN than watching Alexander play CB in a cover 3. 

(Saying no to Aaron Donald because of "Sheldon Rankins" would be like saying no to Michael Jordan because of "John Starks").  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Because "Sheldon Rankins" is no AARON DONALD

And Quinnen Williams + Aaron Donald = QBs worst nightmare. 

Aaron Donald/Quinnen Williams/Carl Lawson = 40-50 sacks. 

And I'd never pick a CB in Robert Saleh's cover 3 zone scheme.

Aaron Donald is the most dominant Defensive player in all of Football and having Quinnen Williams play alongside of Aaron Donald (imo) would be a lot more FUN than watching Alexander play CB in a cover 3. 

(Saying no to Aaron Donald because of "Sheldon Rankins" would be like saying no to Michael Jordan because of "John Starks").  

I'm not comparing Rankins to Donald at all I'm just saying there are other areas of need and Rankins and Williams can be dominant and Donald is 30 years old . If you don't like corner then AJ Brown would be nice since he's also friends with Moore

 

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Good argument for Chase Young given age, freakishness, team need and positional value... blah blah blah. But like, f*** defense. I'm tired of it.

The better answer is AJ Brown

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm not comparing Rankins to Donald at all I'm just saying there are other areas of need and Rankins and Williams can be dominant and Donald is 30 years old . If you don't like corner then AJ Brown would be nice since he's also friends with Moore

 

 

I get where you're coming from but CB being a weakness is why I went with AARON DONALD.

Because with Aaron Donald/Quinnen Williams/Carl Lawson on the same D-Line? You wouldn't ever need any CBs anymore (look @ the Giants who best Brady x2 during the SBs all D-Line/0 CBs). 

But in regards to Offense I like A.J. Brown a lot too but I can't pass up on a 21/22 year old Justin Jefferson who just broke rookie records set by Randy Moss.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm not comparing Rankins to Donald at all I'm just saying there are other areas of need and Rankins and Williams can be dominant and Donald is 30 years old . If you don't like corner then AJ Brown would be nice since he's also friends with Moore

 

 

I also tend to think a best in the league at another position would go much further towards making this team better. 

Edit: Didn't read the title well lmao. 

2nd Edit: I definitely deserved any ball breaking I had coming my way lol. So in the interest of owning it - My original post maaay have included a comment about our high faith in Zach because no one mentioned Mahomes as the player they would want 😆

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Both this year and long term Quentin Nelson.  Becton, AVT and Nelson. Get the body bags. The play action game of those maulers moving earth would be.....

GIF by FOX International Channels

Spoken like a true Iowa Football fan. 

Tyler Linderbaum.

What do you think of him man? 

I personally love him and hope to use one of our two 1st round picks on him and also consider him the best interior O-lineman heading into 2021-2022's NCAA season (and I literally can not find one mock draft that has him going outside of the top 20, let alone the 2nd round). 

LT: Mekhi Becton (1st round, 2020).

LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker (1st round, 2021).

C; Tyler Linderbaum (1st round, 2022). 

Talk about a rebuilt JD O-line throughout back to back to back drafts of 1st round O-lineman (while Zach Wilson plays under a rookie contract).

Imo that's incredible but would love to read your thoughts about your Iowa Center in Tyler Linderbaum because unlike myself who've only watched highlights I know you actually watch him play and every Saturday too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, New York Mick said:

If you could add any current non QB player to the Jets who would you add? 

Almost every year lately I’ve picked an OL but this year I’d say Tarvis Kelce. He’d be a huge help to Zach and the growth of the team. Zach would have his go to target and security blanket that’s a nightmare to cover. 

Derrick Henry would be second for the same reasons. He’d take a lot of pressure off Zach running the ball down the defense’s throat and bringing players in tighter. 
 

LaFleur is very persistent with the mantra of getting the run game going, so I agree with Henry. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Look @ the thread title my dude. We're not allowed to pick outside of the QB position 😂

Yuppp😄😄😄

For whatever it's worth, I did apparently learn to read again and edited my post 1 minute after I made it and was really, REALLY hoping I got to it fast enough lmao 

You caught it bud, you're well within your rights - Let me have it! 🤣🤣

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Spoken like a true Iowa Football fan. 

Tyler Linderbaum.

What do you think of him man? 

I personally love him and hope to use one of our two 1st round picks on him and also consider him the best interior O-lineman heading into 2021-2022's NCAA season (and I literally can not find one mock draft that has him going outside of the top 20, let alone the 2nd round). 

LT: Mekhi Becton (1st round, 2020).

LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker (1st round, 2021).

C; Tyler Linderbaum (1st round, 2022). 

Talk about a rebuilt JD O-line throughout back to back to back drafts of 1st round O-lineman (while Zach Wilson plays under a rookie contract).

Imo that's incredible but would love to read your thoughts about your Iowa Center in Tyler Linderbaum because unlike myself who've only watched highlights I know you actually watch him play and every Saturday too.

 

I don't think I'd ever cry about us using a 1st on the oline. But that being said, this team still has very little talent and a TON of holes remaining all over the roster. We really need to kick the rebuild into gear and start using those 1st round picks elsewhere. The best olines are rarely (If ever?) Comprised of all 1st round picks and they don't need to be. Eventually we're going to have to start finding long term solutions elsewhere. 

Not saying I'd be pissed if one of next years 1sts was a C/G/RT (depending where the biggest obvious hole remains after this season) I'm just saying my preference would be to continue/finish the rebuild of the line with either money or even a day 2 pick. Obviously it'll come down to what is possible at that time. If the obvious value at our 1st round selection is the next Nelson or Wirfs, than that's what you do and don't look back. I'm just saying that if we're talking about positional targets, I would rather our 1st round pick address Edge or CB. And you can make the argument for at least 2 of 3 other positions on that list.

I tend to look at really good olines as usually having 3 of the spots comprised of studs and/or very good players. Every spot doesn't need to be filled by a top guy at the position to have a really good unit. This kind of goes along with what I said in another post that, ideally, I'd love to have 2 olineman on rookie contracts at any given time for financial reasons. QBs are only getting more expensive and the cap doesn't seem to be increasing as fast as these QB contracts. By the time Allen and Jackson and Murray see their deals, 40mil avg is just going to be a starting point. Unless Mahomes ends up making QBs on 10 year deals the new thing (which I'm not nessesarily opposed to). We'll see how Mahomes feels 5 years from not when he's been the best in the league "forever" and averages 10-15+mil less than several other guys 

Edit: OT; as I write this and thinking about the increase in QB pay, I wonder if we'll ever see some kind of loophole or cut out in the cap for QB contracts. I know players at other positions likely wouldn't be fans of this. But owners know it's a QB league and they know who makes their money. Unless you want the entire cap to increase at a faster rate, I would think there is going to come a point where it would be in their best interest to create cap relief where that position is concerned.  I'm not good with numbers but whatever the cap and top QB avg salary was 15 years ago, I wonder if it's even close to the same percentage of the total cap as it is today

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Well for the first time in a long time it's ironic but our Offense is further along than our Defense (imo).

 

I agree! Been saying it since January before "real fans" were allowed to say so, because that would indicate Darnold's subtraction was seen as a positive. Now that we have Wilson, it's safe to say it because it's optimism for Wilson, not "hating" on Darnold. This place, lol.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Corey linsley

keep player’s out of zachs face and give him space to step up

mcgovern was the worst rated pass protecting center last year 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...