What Current Non QB Player Would You Add To The Jets?

Don't care that its not offense or not currently at a position of need for the team.  Aaron Donald.  He's easily the best non-QB in football so he's the guy I'd want. 

Donald and QW pressuring up the middle with Rankins rotating in when needed?  Delicious possibilities there.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I don't think I'd ever cry about us using a 1st on the oline. But that being said, this team still has very little talent and a TON of holes remaining all over the roster. We really need to kick the rebuild into gear and start using those 1st round picks elsewhere. The best olines are rarely (If ever?) Comprised of all 1st round picks and they don't need to be. Eventually we're going to have to start finding long term solutions elsewhere. 

Not saying I'd be pissed if one of next years 1sts was a C/G/RT (depending where the biggest obvious hole remains after this season) I'm just saying my preference would be to continue/finish the rebuild of the line with either money or even a day 2 pick. Obviously it'll come down to what is possible at that time. If the obvious value at our 1st round selection is the next Nelson or Wirfs, than that's what you do and don't look back. I'm just saying that if we're talking about positional targets, I would rather our 1st round pick address Edge or CB. And you can make the argument for at least 2 of 3 other positions on that list.

I tend to look at really good olines as usually having 3 of the spots comprised of studs and/or very good players. Every spot doesn't need to be filled by a top guy at the position to have a really good unit. This kind of goes along with what I said in another post that, ideally, I'd love to have 2 olineman on rookie contracts at any given time for financial reasons. QBs are only getting more expensive and the cap doesn't seem to be increasing as fast as these QB contracts. By the time Allen and Jackson and Murray see their deals, 40mil avg is just going to be a starting point. Unless Mahomes ends up making QBs on 10 year deals the new thing (which I'm not nessesarily opposed to). We'll see how Mahomes feels 5 years from not when he's been the best in the league "forever" and averages 10-15+mil less than several other guys 

Edit: OT; as I write this and thinking about the increase in QB pay, I wonder if we'll ever see some kind of loophole or cut out in the cap for QB contracts. I know players at other positions likely wouldn't be fans of this. But owners know it's a QB league and they know who makes their money. Unless you want the entire cap to increase at a faster rate, I would think there is going to come a point where it would be in their best interest to create cap relief where that position is concerned.  I'm not good with numbers but whatever the cap and top QB avg salary was 15 years ago, I wonder if it's even close to the same percentage of the total cap as it is today

The cap has become almost irrelevant it seems.  

But having the best O line in the league patches a lot of holes.

21 hours ago, New York Mick said:

If you could add any current non QB player to the Jets who would you add? 

Almost every year lately I’ve picked an OL but this year I’d say Tarvis Kelce. He’d be a huge help to Zach and the growth of the team. Zach would have his go to target and security blanket that’s a nightmare to cover. 

Derrick Henry would be second for the same reasons. He’d take a lot of pressure off Zach running the ball down the defense’s throat and bringing players in tighter. 

Chase Young or Nick Bosa. It's really simple: the most important positions on the field, in order, are QB, LT, EDGE. We have an LT in Becton. Lawson fits as one Edge but he's not dominant and having a young, dominant pass rusher on the other side of him would be game changing. 

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Chase Young or Nick Bosa. It's really simple: the most important positions on the field, in order, are QB, LT, EDGE. We have an LT in Becton. Lawson fits as one Edge but he's not dominant and having a young, dominant pass rusher on the other side of him would be game changing. 

Exactly QB is the most important position so do everything possible to help him succeed. OL, WRs, TEs and a ground game. I’m not worried about defense until the offense is sorted. 

On 7/16/2021 at 12:50 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Spoken like a true Iowa Football fan. 

Tyler Linderbaum.

What do you think of him man? 

I personally love him and hope to use one of our two 1st round picks on him and also consider him the best interior O-lineman heading into 2021-2022's NCAA season (and I literally can not find one mock draft that has him going outside of the top 20, let alone the 2nd round). 

LT: Mekhi Becton (1st round, 2020).

LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker (1st round, 2021).

C; Tyler Linderbaum (1st round, 2022). 

Talk about a rebuilt JD O-line throughout back to back to back drafts of 1st round O-lineman (while Zach Wilson plays under a rookie contract).

Imo that's incredible but would love to read your thoughts about your Iowa Center in Tyler Linderbaum because unlike myself who've only watched highlights I know you actually watch him play and every Saturday too.

Linderbaum is very, very good.  Iowa has produced some very good centers over the Ferentz 20 year tenure and I'd say Linderbaum is the best of all of them.  First and foremost he is a technical savant.  Lots of Iowa OL are pretty advanced in technique but Linderbaum is another level.  That's not my opinion(though what I do know about OL technique I'd agree) that's from people in the program.

I wasn't going to lead with that because I didn't want it to take away from his athleticism because he is an elite athlete for the position, at least at the college level.  He will be plenty athletic for NFL as well.  In my opinion he's the most mobile interior OL of the Ferentz era.  Maybe tied with James Daniels, who was a 2nd rd pick if the Bears a few years ago.

He's also a big time competitor and leader.  He's one of the most respected guys on the current roster.  Very vocal leader.  A bit rare for an OL.

His main knock right now is size.  He played last year around 290, which won't fly in the NFL.  People will associate that with a lack of strength but they shouldn't.  He's plenty strong.  Country strong.  He will also be able to add some weight easily 

Overall, not a lot of downside to his game.  I could certainly see him as a 1st round pick next year.

Just for giggles, below is a video of him chucking a hay bale over a 10 ft bar last night.  He tied for the competition title clearing 14 feet. This is a bit of a tradition in Iowa football.  For comparison sake, Tristan Wirfs won this completion a few years ago at 12 feet.  Wirfs is universally considered the strongest weight room guy in program history.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, DoubleDecker said:

Myles Garret would eat for free in NY/NJ if he accomplished what he has already has but with the jets.  The Jets have had great WR play in the last 10 years, we haven't had a pass rusher people fear and game plan against maybe since Kris Jenkins..... 

Jenkins was a great DT, but rarely reached the quarterback.  Abraham was the last real edge we've had.