PFF says Mims candidate to break out next year

6 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

Can’t link to article - sorry - but this type of analysis is encouraging- blames bad schemes and darnold struggles for sub par rookie season - we all know it takes money to by whiskey and preseason analysis is cheap but still ……

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Meh...........Cheap enough if you know the right people.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrl6pv9yILjFIQ7t1t-Fp

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

Can’t link to article - sorry - but this type of analysis is encouraging- blames bad schemes and darnold struggles for sub par rookie season - we all know it takes money to by whiskey and preseason analysis is cheap but still ……

Injuries and Sam Darold have contributed to his slow start. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, jetscanes331 said:

The problem is that all indications from the otas and mini camps is that he's far behind the other WR on the roster. Can't blame that on gase or darnold.

There was no indication of this being true or any issues off of OTAs in shorts in May

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

one question mark for mims is his route running - he wasn’t required to run any kind of route tree in college and gase didn’t have routes for any receivers last year (unless you count the innovative frank gore up the gut route) and laflours offense does require crisp route running - that concerns me - excellent route running with crisp breaks is one of the things moore showed in ota’s- hope mims can develop those skills

Darnold sucked because of OL. OL sucked because weaponiz couldn’t get open. Weaponz couldn’t get open because Gase couldn’t scheme to their strengths. Gase sucked because Macc was terrible at drafting. Macc sucked because Darnold sucked and made his picks look like trash.

This is why the carousel of excuses is a fool’s attraction. It never ends or leads anywhere.

fail merry go round GIF

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

And of course let's all ignore the fact that he had food poisoning and was recovering from that during ota's

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

People really believe who ran with which group during May OTAs means anything come September

29 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

one question mark for mims is his route running - he wasn’t required to run any kind of route tree in college and gase didn’t have routes for any receivers last year (unless you count the innovative frank gore up the gut route) and laflours offense does require crisp route running - that concerns me - excellent route running with crisp breaks is one of the things moore showed in ota’s- hope mims can develop those skills

Shouldn’t concern anyone until he proves he can’t do something, not because we imagine Gase didn’t have WRs run routes last year. 

I actually hate PFF. As a kid I never needed PFF to tell me Ewing was better than Oakley or Martin was better than Murrell. I just, knew. I didn't need PFF to tell me Reggie Miller was a Knicks killer Jordan couldn't be beat and Vinny was color blind. Now? I can't even be happy about Becton before some PFF nerd throws RT Wirfs in my face because of 77.8 vs 76.6 like FOH. 

And yeah I like stats. But it's real stats from sports reference. Yards. Tds. Completion percentage. Sacks. INTs. Rebounds. Blocked shots. Points scored in a basket. I don't want to read about 77.4 vs. 77.8 vs 88.6 I don't even know what any of that stuff means these days do they even make regular baseball cards anymore with real batting averages hrs strike outs on the back or is it all 88.4 rating vs 93.2.

I miss when sports was just sports and as a fan base we used our eye test and creative thinking this PFF cult is weird they told me we're top 5 most improved team and then when their ranking came out we're ranked like 28th 28th? Then how the fk are we most improved? 

If one more Jets fan tells me Wirfs is better than Becton because PFF 81.3 says so I'ma catch me a permanent banning.

15 hours ago, ncjetman said:

Helluva lot more likely Darnold held weapinz back than the other way around. QBs  make the weaponz, not the other way around. Would love to see some of our players with competent NFL calibre quarterbacking. Let’s hope Zach has that.

21 hours ago, jetscanes331 said:

The problem is that all indications from the otas and mini camps is that he's far behind the other WR on the roster. Can't blame that on gase or darnold.

For whatever reason, Mims and Herndon both appear to be getting the tough love treatment from the new coaching staff. I liked Mims a lot in last year’s draft, but maybe there’s a reason he slipped? Maybe they both need a kick in the ass? 

I think, end of the day, they're both starting opening day. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, jgb said:

Darnold sucked because of OL. OL sucked because weaponiz couldn’t get open. Weaponz couldn’t get open because Gase couldn’t scheme to their strengths. Gase sucked because Macc was terrible at drafting. Macc sucked because Darnold sucked and made his picks look like trash.

This is why the carousel of excuses is a fool’s attraction. It never ends or leads anywhere.

fail merry go round GIF

Seriously it’s about time to just let a player tell you who they are are. If they play bad….they are bad 

• Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, ncjetman said:

While the LaFleur offense does have concepts that dont necessarily play to Mims strengths, this staff is going to be smart enough to use players at what they do best.  Mims is a tall, fast, strong WR who had a decent rookie year even though he was injured, had bad QB play and an atrocious coach. 

Anyone who is ready to write him off should just go read the Quinnen Williams threads prior to last year when half this board wanted to trade him and thought that Ed Oliver was a better player. It takes players time to grow, especially if they are injured as rookies which both Mims and QW were

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Seriously it’s about time to just let a player tell you who they are are. If they play bad….they are bad 

Great post. It’s as if it’s impossible to tell a good player on a bad team — like Herbert and Burrow don’t exist in Excuse Land.

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2021 at 11:55 AM, jetscanes331 said:

Justin Jefferson was behind Bisi Johnson last offseason at camp. How’d that work out? Not that I think Mims will be anything like Jefferson. It’s just silly to make judgments based on May minicamp.

20 minutes ago, BCJet said:

While the LaFleur offense does have concepts that dont necessarily play to Mims strengths, this staff is going to be smart enough to use players at what they do best.  Mims is a tall, fast, strong WR who had a decent rookie year even though he was injured, had bad QB play and an atrocious coach. 

Anyone who is ready to write him off should just go read the Quinnen Williams threads prior to last year when half this board wanted to trade him and thought that Ed Oliver was a better player. It takes players time to grow, especially if they are injured as rookies which both Mims and QW were

https://twitter.com/TheJetPress/status/1416436110654324739?s=20

It's always been obvious to me whenever I saw Mims on the field that he is ultra talented. It's so frustrating to see his numbers were NOT very impressive last season when he was such a gifted athlete. Ultimately, I can't help but blame the offense overall for Mims lack of ascension. That, and of course Mims being injured the first half of the season. But I agree 100% with PFF here. Denzel Mims, so long as he can remain on the field, should be rapidly becoming one of our very best players.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Justin Jefferson was behind Bisi Johnson last offseason at camp. How’d that work out? Not that I think Mims will be anything like Jefferson. It’s just silly to make judgments based on May minicamp.

Mims has elite athletic traits. That isn’t determinative but it’s better than the alternative.

PFF is a joke who makes money off of  ? fans. 

Who needs "PFF" when you've got your own eyes? Do you really need "PFF" to tell you how good our Jets players are? Did you need "PFF" to tell us how great our Patrick Ewing was and/or how great our rival Michael Jordan was? And what's the difference of PFF 72.8 vs. PFF 82.9? ?

• Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, BCJet said:

I like how ya brought up both Quinnen's rookie year and that Mims might not be the ideal fit for this offense.

=

Shouldn't be too harsh judging rookies but I am concerned of Mims' role in this scheme.

But I've got think that if Wilson is really a down-the-field, YOLO thrower, Mims is likely the best target for that?

Gonna be interesting to watch how that plays out. Excited to read training camp reports. 

6 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’m not convinced about Mims, he always seems to have an issue be it ham strings, food poisoning or something.

Im not worried though, I think he’s de facto WR#3, behind Davis and Elijah Moore.

Ham poisoning. I don't remember him being hurt very much in college except for the hand issue. 

He was my favorite receiver in the draft (of the ones that was realistic for the Jets at pick 48 or wherever they were drafting (before the trade down), I thought that he was going even higher than that. 

He catches EXACTLY the kind of passes that you see a lot on Wilson's reel. The balls where a guy is covered but Wilson puts it in a spot where only the receiver can make a play on it. He'll make those plays. 

Mims feels like the kind of thing that goes unnoticed until it becomes a thing that was apparent all along.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:47 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

I actually hate PFF. As a kid I never needed PFF to tell me Ewing was better than Oakley or Martin was better than Murrell. I just, knew. I didn't need PFF to tell me Reggie Miller was a Knicks killer Jordan couldn't be beat and Vinny was color blind. Now? I can't even be happy about Becton before some PFF nerd throws RT Wirfs in my face because of 77.8 vs 76.6 like FOH. 

And yeah I like stats. But it's real stats from sports reference. Yards. Tds. Completion percentage. Sacks. INTs. Rebounds. Blocked shots. Points scored in a basket. I don't want to read about 77.4 vs. 77.8 vs 88.6 I don't even know what any of that stuff means these days do they even make regular baseball cards anymore with real batting averages hrs strike outs on the back or is it all 88.4 rating vs 93.2.

I miss when sports was just sports and as a fan base we used our eye test and creative thinking this PFF cult is weird they told me we're top 5 most improved team and then when their ranking came out we're ranked like 28th 28th? Then how the fk are we most improved? 

If one more Jets fan tells me Wirfs is better than Becton because PFF 81.3 says so I'ma catch me a permanent banning.

Don't you have bingo to attend?

30 minutes ago, ZacharyWilson said:

Ham poisoning. I don't remember him being hurt very much in college except for the hand issue. 

He was my favorite receiver in the draft (of the ones that was realistic for the Jets at pick 48 or wherever they were drafting (before the trade down), I thought that he was going even higher than that. 

He catches EXACTLY the kind of passes that you see a lot on Wilson's reel. The balls where a guy is covered but Wilson puts it in a spot where only the receiver can make a play on it. He'll make those plays. 

Mims feels like the kind of thing that goes unnoticed until it becomes a thing that was apparent all along.

You're 100% accurate. Denzel Mims was never injured while @ Baylor.

Throughout his Sophomore/Junior/Senior year(s) he played in 37 out of a possible 39 games (37/39). 

= 94.8% availability. 

And last year as a Jet during his rookie season he suffered only 1 injury. An offseason hamstring and was sidelined up until game #7. Which is when he made his NFL debut. 

He ended up finishing the season with 9 consecutive games played (without ever getting hurt again). 

The one game he missed in between wasn't because of an injury it was because if a stomach virus and please don't tell me that you've never missed a single day of grade school/work because of a virus/sickness (because that'll make you a liar).

@BurnleyJet 

"he always seems to have an issue" was a completely false statement because a rookie suffering (one single) hamstring injury is the complete opposite of "always". 

Football fans need to wake up and comprehend that injuries in Football happen because it's, Football and 1 injury doesn't mean a player should be labeled as "injury prone" and especially if that one injury just so happens to be a hamstring injury because you can easily look up online hundreds of (non injury prone) athletes throughout NFL/NBA/MLB who've suffered from a hamstring injury (it's sports and hamstring injuries aren't anything "rare".

image.thumb.png.c34cab2363af9970ffb45918f4705e70.png

This kid is going to have an awesome 2nd year. 

• Upvote 1