The all in Zach Wilson fan boy club (join here)

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am a Jets fan. As in FAN. 

While I can be somewhat analytical and objective Tuesday through Friday during the season., when it comes down to it I can't help but become a total fanboy for our time. I never in any circumstance root for us to lose.

Now that does not mean I cannot hate a player or dislike him. If I feel that a player is holding us back I will hate him until he is gone.

But In Zach's case I am like 1,000% in. When I watched ALL his games back in December I left feeling he was the best college QB I had ever seen.

And then I so desperately wanted the Jets to pick him but I thought there was not a scintilla of a chance we would be so bold.

And then we picked him. I was SOOO excited even though, unlike Sam we pretty much knew he was the pic for many weeks.

And since then he has done everything right it seems. He has been awesome in OTAs (Sam sucked against the 3s), he has shown leadership and intelligence and work ethic.

So I am ALL IN. I will be rooting for him with every fiber of my being and will be that way until he absolutely proves he is not the guy. I was really excited about Sam (not as much as Zach, not even close) but it took me like 2.5 seasons to actually see that he sucks.

So who is with me?

I feel like he’s way underrated with our fan base right now. It’s probably cause the stink of Sam is still lingering after many thought he’d be the franchise QB. But this kid Wilson could legitimately turn into a Rodgers/Mahomes type of QB. He is THAT talented 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I feel like he’s way underrated with our fan base right now. It’s probably cause the stink of Sam is still lingering after many thought he’d be the franchise QB. But this kid Wilson could legitimately turn into a Rodgers/Mahomes type of QB. He is THAT talented 

I am with you obviously. Not only do I believe that highly in Zach but his situation is the best of any rookie for the Jets in a very very long time.

• Upvote 1

I am optimistic and excited to see what he can do--what all the new pieces to the team can do. IMO he's the best prospect we've drafted early in a long time (Darnold included) and I haven't felt this optimistic about a season since Darnold's draft but putting him on the same platform as HOF QBs before he's ever taken a snap seems like asking for disappointment no matter how well he actually performs. I want to give him a chance to perform within reasonable expectations and better for him to exceed than expect him to blow the league away and feel disappointed. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, jgb said:

Predicting a Jets player to fail -- or calling him a failure after he has already failed (ahem, Darnold) -- is not rooting for the Jets to lose. This is a scurrilous false equivalence peddled by homers.

I agree with that. I was saying I never root for us to lose a game.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I agree with that. I was saying I never root for us to lose a game.

I guess I don't come right out and say "I hope the Jets lose this game" but I sure care less when the season is porked.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I am a Jets fan. As in FAN. 

While I can be somewhat analytical and objective Tuesday through Friday during the season., when it comes down to it I can't help but become a total fanboy for our time. I never in any circumstance root for us to lose.

Now that does not mean I cannot hate a player or dislike him. If I feel that a player is holding us back I will hate him until he is gone.

But In Zach's case I am like 1,000% in. When I watched ALL his games back in December I left feeling he was the best college QB I had ever seen.

And then I so desperately wanted the Jets to pick him but I thought there was not a scintilla of a chance we would be so bold.

And then we picked him. I was SOOO excited even though, unlike Sam we pretty much knew he was the pic for many weeks.

And since then he has done everything right it seems. He has been awesome in OTAs (Sam sucked against the 3s), he has shown leadership and intelligence and work ethic.

So I am ALL IN. I will be rooting for him with every fiber of my being and will be that way until he absolutely proves he is not the guy. I was really excited about Sam (not as much as Zach, not even close) but it took me like 2.5 seasons to actually see that he sucks.

So who is with me?

Until Zach "Pretty Boy" Wilson gives me a reason to be a particular fan, he's just "potential" 

Either he can reproduce the type of play we saw from him in college in the NFL, or he can't.   He wont be a QB like Sanchez, Gabbert or Trubisky.  Meaning there wont be lingering questions regarding weather he will pan out or not for four years or so.  Wilson is going to be uniquely elite, or an absolute disaster and we'll know which way it will go by game three of the regular season. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

He wont be a QB like Sanchez, Gabbert or Trubisky.  Meaning there wont be lingering questions regarding weather he will pan out or not for four years or so.

If he's good, you are right. If he's not, don't underestimate the ability of fans to circle wagons and churn out excuses to defend their boy-savior.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Until Zach "Pretty Boy" Wilson gives me a reason to be a particular fan, he's just "potential" 

Either he can reproduce the type of play we saw from him in college in the NFL, or he can't.   He wont be a QB like Sanchez, Gabbert or Trubisky.  Meaning there wont be lingering questions regarding weather he will pan out or not for four years or so.  Wilson is going to be uniquely elite, or an absolute disaster and we'll know which way it will go by game three of the regular season. 

Geno just needed weaponz

1 hour ago, thebuzzardman said:

Very strong endorsement!

:-)

I have many posts in the draft forum explaining my rationale. Suffice to say, I saw far more transferable talent and replicable success in Fields than in Wilson. 

Still, I definitely wish to be proven wrong. On the bright side, it seems for the first time in my life that the Jets have the right people at 3 of the 4 most important positions of a football franchise: GM, HC, OC. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I have many posts in the draft forum explaining my rationale. Suffice to say, I saw far more transferable talent and replicable success in Fields than in Wilson. 

Still, I definitely wish to be proven wrong. On the bright side, it seems for the first time in my life that the Jets have the right people at 3 of the 4 most important positions of a football franchise: GM, HC, OC. 

Which did you like the least? The quick release, the accuracy, the arm strength, the mobility, the obsession with football, the high football IQ, the confidence or the beautiful hair?

9 minutes ago, ZacharyWilson said:

Mods, can we please change my screen name to this??

Haha... IMHO.  I LOVE that as a nickname for Wilson.  It is not intended to be disrespectful.  Quite the contrary.   I'm taking his boyish looks and flipping the script.

You've heard of Pretty Boy Floyd.   Same deal, only the "Pretty Boy"  in green and white does his shooting and destruction with his arm... He's a bad-ass "pretty boy" and bad-ass is exactly what you are if you can shoulder a nickname like "pretty boy" 

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

Haha... IMHO.  I LOVE that as a nickname for Wilson.  It is not intended to be disrespectful.  Quite the contrary.   I'm taking his boyish looks and flipping the script.

You've heard of Pretty Boy Floyd.   Same deal, only the "Pretty Boy"  in green and white does his shooting and destruction with his arm... 

Rob from the rich and give to the Jets and all that, huh?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ZacharyWilson said:

Which did you like the least? The quick release, the accuracy, the arm strength, the mobility, the obsession with football, the high football IQ, the confidence or the beautiful hair?

For myself, I dig it all.  Since I'm a Jets fan and have been for a LONG time, I don't want to get too excited for another let down. but he's got some really intriguing tools.  His delivery is faster than Marino's, his footwork and mobility are tremendous and his ability to throw from any angle in any direction appears to match Mahomes.

BUT....

This is all tape from college and practice.  We don't have a shred of tape from a pro game.

That's what I'm waiting for before I go off half-cocked 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

For myself, I dig it all.  Since I'm a Jets fan and have been for a LONG time, I don't want to get too excited for another let down. but he's got some really intriguing tools.  His delivery is faster than Marino's, his footwork and mobility are tremendous and his ability to throw from any angle in any direction appears to match Mahomes.

BUT....

This is all tape from college and practice.  We don't have a shred of tape from a pro game.

That's what I'm waiting for before I go off half-cocked 

By mid season you'll be fully cocked. I'll bet my um well you know, on it.