The all in Zach Wilson fan boy club (join here)

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Maybe it is becasue I have been wrong about just about every QB who has been drafted in the last 5 years.  I wanted no part of Mahomes or Watson.  I had Rosen and Darnold as 1-2 ahead of Mayfield, Allen and Jackson. Thought Kyler Murray was a joke at 1 overall.  Didn't think Herbert was worth a top 10 pick last year.  I even liked Luke Falk when he came out.  Yup, my QB track record is so bad that we should all be thankful that I would have picked Fields over Wilson.

Damn even Adam Gase has had more success than you

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

I feel the same way about Fields that you do.  But what I think means nothing.  I wanted Fields, but once we took Wilson, he became my guy.  I desperately want him to be the guy we have been looking for for 50 years. .  Optimistic writer's tweets can help pass a slow day in August, but I need to see him play and play well against a hostile defense before I will fully believe in him

I am cautiously optimistic.  Maybe it is becasue I have been wrong about just about every QB who has been drafted in the last 5 years.  I wanted no part of Mahomes or Watson.  I had Rosen and Darnold as 1-2 ahead of Mayfield, Allen and Jackson. Thought Kyler Murray was a joke at 1 overall.  Didn't think Herbert was worth a top 10 pick last year.  I even liked Luke Falk when he came out.  Yup, my QB track record is so bad that we should all be thankful that I would have picked Fields over Wilson.

As to me Bear fan friends, they are so screwed and they don't even know it yet.

Projecting college QB performance to the pros is the most difficult thing to evaluate in sport. Don't beat yourself up.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Lith said:

I have made plenty of mistakes that I have beaten myself up for.  Not being able to project college QBs to the pros is not even close to making the list.

Part of finding a FQB as a GM is giving up on a guy once you're reasonably certain he isn't one. Jets have been bad at that historically. JD shot Darnold into orbit so maybe he gets it. I hope we don't find out what his philosophy is because that will mean Wilson hits.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I root the laundry above all else.  The individual players are a distant second.  They come, they go.  Only a rare few deserve to be remembered.  

The laundry (regardless of scheme) is forever.  I'm a Jets Fan, not a Chad fan, a Mark fan, a Sam fan, or a Zack fan.

I will root, like you, very hard this year. Like every year.  For many decades now.

But no, honestly, I'm not "all in" or "fanatical" on anyone or anything. I will never understand the need to so deeply invest in a person before they've done or showed us anything at all.

Show me, don't tell me. 

Players and Coaches should EARN my love and devotion, they should not expect it up front.

JMO.

Best thing I’ve read in here since I joined. 

9094B566-484E-4D98-AD06-667ADEEB988A.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

wilson is only one guy on the team.  of course we want to see him do well.  but it all comes down to him not looking good until the rest of the teams looks good.  i think he'll do well with the players douglas is bringing in.  of course i also felt darnold would also do better.  so we'll see.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I root the laundry above all else.  The individual players are a distant second.  They come, they go.  Only a rare few deserve to be remembered.  

The laundry (regardless of scheme) is forever.  I'm a Jets Fan, not a Chad fan, a Mark fan, a Sam fan, or a Zack fan.

I will root, like you, very hard this year. Like every year.  For many decades now.

But no, honestly, I'm not "all in" or "fanatical" on anyone or anything. I will never understand the need to so deeply invest in a person before they've done or showed us anything at all.

Show me, don't tell me. 

Players and Coaches should EARN my love and devotion, they should not expect it up front.

JMO.

Please hand in your Real Fan™ membership card.

Credit Card GIFs | Tenor

Seriously, though. Incredible post. No matter how many times people get burned they act like only a "hater" or "SOJF" wouldn't jump right back in love to the next one that comes along.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Please hand in your Real Fan™ membership card.

Credit Card GIFs | Tenor

Seriously, though. Incredible post. No matter how many times people get burned they act like only a "hater" or "SOJF" wouldn't jump right back in love to the next one that comes along.

I should add, for clarity, there ARE players I truly hold in eternal high regard:

1. Toon

2. Chrebet

3. Mangold

Etc.

The difference is, I love them for what they DID, how they Acted, their class, their fun, the enjoyment the provided me, and the production the produced.   They all earned my love and "fanatic" adoration.

David Cone, another example, is a guy I'll love forever, he was my idol as a young pitcher.  Max Scherzer is that guy today for me.  Both earned it, on the field.

Like I said, I get being hopeful, I get liking the ultra-early returns on a kid just hitting the pros, I get a positive scouting report mentality on a kid with big upside, I get all those various positive feelings, and I have most of them for Zack.  I'm very hopeful myself. 

/shrug.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Show me, don't tell me. 

JMO.

I’m a Warfish fan! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I should add, for clarity, there ARE players I truly hold in eternal high regard:

1. Toon

2. Chrebet

3. Mangold

Etc.

The difference is, I love them for what they DID, how they Acted, their class, their fun, the enjoyment the provided me, and the production the produced.   They all earned my love and "fanatic" adoration.

David Cone, another example, is a guy I'll love forever, he was my idol as a young pitcher.  Max Scherzer is that guy today for me.  Both earned it, on the field.

Like I said, I get being hopeful, I get liking the ultra-early returns on a kid just hitting the pros, I get a positive scouting report mentality on a kid with big upside, I get all those various positive feelings, and I have most of them for Zack.  I'm very hopeful myself. 

/shrug.  

Agree. Funny how so many fans act like a player slapped their daughter around when they have a contract dispute with the team.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I feel the same way about Fields that you do.  But what I think means nothing.  I wanted Fields, but once we took Wilson, he became my guy.  I desperately want him to be the guy we have been looking for for 50 years. .  Optimistic writer's tweets can help pass a slow day in August, but I need to see him play and play well against a hostile defense before I will fully believe in him

I am cautiously optimistic.  Maybe it is becasue I have been wrong about just about every QB who has been drafted in the last 5 years.  I wanted no part of Mahomes or Watson.  I had Rosen and Darnold as 1-2 ahead of Mayfield, Allen and Jackson. Thought Kyler Murray was a joke at 1 overall.  Didn't think Herbert was worth a top 10 pick last year.  I even liked Luke Falk when he came out.  Yup, my QB track record is so bad that we should all be thankful that I would have picked Fields over Wilson.

As to me Bear fan friends, they are so screwed and they don't even know it yet.

Agree with the bolded. I certainly don't give a sh*t about being right on the internet amongst a bunch of people I don't know, and I too have been wrong a bunch. The reason I'm a little colder on Wilson than I've been on embracing QBs in the past is because we've been burned so often.

• As a 14 year old, I loved the Pennington pick all the way until the Steelers AFC Divisional game in '05 when he couldn't even generate first downs for the offense, let alone points.
  • I hated moving up and selecting Sanchez. I never truly came around on him because I'm a big believer in putting up in the regular season, but after the 4 comeback wins in the 2010 regular season and beating both Peyton and Brady in the playoffs, I thought that despite his relatively poor efficiency metrics, maybe we had our own version of an Eli Manning. Wrong again. 
  • I hated the Geno pick and was indifferent to the Hack pick (moreso because I always thought the Hack pick would be for depth anyways because there was no way in hell he was selected to be an FQB - similar to the Morgan pick last year). These were the only two picks I never actually came around on. 
  • In 2018, I was stoked to take Rosen or Allen at #3 overall. Instead we took Darnold. I was bummed for a while, but the one thing that Darnold had that no other QB we had taken had was great athleticism and anticipation on his throws. Those two things are important to me, so by the end of the regular season when he was finally flashing consistently, I had come around and for the first time ever, I thought we actually had our guy. Again: wrong.

The difference with Wilson as I pointed out in my earlier post is that he really does have the right support system - something that most of our other picks haven't had (Darnold being the strongest candidate). A GM who is focused on the OL and offensive skill positions, a HC who vows to take care of the defense (thus lightening the load for a young QB), and a progressive OC who goes out of his way to make things easier on the QB both pre and post snap. Add in a dedicated QB coach and there's really not much to complain about.

So, yes, if Wilson takes advantage of all of it and ends up throwing TDs for the Jets for the next 10-15 Januaries and Februaries, I'll be just as happy as every other Jets fan! I'm not rooting against him. I just don't believe in him yet.

• Upvote 3

Show me, don't tell me. 

JMO.

Yep, I'm with this.

• Upvote 2

1. Toon

2. Chrebet

3. Mangold

Etc.

/shrug.  

BTW I root for the team above all else too. 

I loved Cone. I was at a Mets game once, might have even been after I moved as Dodger Stadium. I was pretty close to the field, and Cone was playing catch with like a ball boy or something. So at what point the kid says something like "show me what you got" Cone says something like "really?" Now they were not 60 feet away from each other maybe 30. Cone throws a very fast ball to the kid and when he caught it his whole body sort of crumpled and you could see how much pain he was in but tried to act so much like it was nothing. Cone thought he had really hurt his hand. It was pretty funny.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The difference with Wilson as I pointed out in my earlier post is that he really does have the right support system - something that most of our other picks haven't had (Darnold being the strongest candidate). A GM who is focused on the OL and offensive skill positions, a HC who vows to take care of the defense (thus lightening the load for a young QB), and a progressive OC who goes out of his way to make things easier on the QB both pre and post snap. Add in a dedicated QB coach and there's really not much to complain about.

So, yes, if Wilson takes advantage of all of it and ends up throwing TDs for the Jets for the next 10-15 Januaries and Februaries, I'll be just as happy as every other Jets fan! I'm not rooting against him. I just don't believe in him yet.

I think Saleh is more of a CEO type HC which is something we have not had since Parcells.

Don't forget our passing game coordinator Greg Knapp who coached Steve Young amongst others, as well as Young himself and Beck still available for guidance. Darnold only ever really had Palmer and McCown, so just the support system for Zach is on a completely different level.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Until Zach "Pretty Boy" Wilson gives me a reason to be a particular fan, he's just "potential" 

Either he can reproduce the type of play we saw from him in college in the NFL, or he can't.   He wont be a QB like Sanchez, Gabbert or Trubisky.  Meaning there wont be lingering questions regarding weather he will pan out or not for four years or so.  Wilson is going to be uniquely elite, or an absolute disaster and we'll know which way it will go by game three of the regular season. 

Why are so many people hung up on his physical appearance?  

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Wow, haha 

What you laughing @ big fella?!?

Because it's true. 

All throughout 2020 Jiffy mocked my Trevor Lawrence for no HEISMAN TROPHY ? and I mocked his Justin Fields for 0 RING ?

But yet here he is: Prancing around JN acting and pretending as if he's been "Zach Wilson" A1 since day 1. 

When we all know...

image.png.5fea7442c6c96a33af2f18b63c203fe1.png

Was the...

image.png.a212b56ba62a8535a7508ef01d09d6c1.png

To his Justin Fields sandwich and...

image.thumb.png.1f500b82b5be65724028dd2b5430eb5f.png

Was the...

image.png.7c5620e272ec5a3599b8fff86e48275e.png

To my Trevor Lawrence sandwich. 

And I don't like how he's acting as if...

image.thumb.png.853643739dc435eac6fb2714ea0b8771.png

Didn't bring us together and make us a...

image.thumb.png.f56a455927735eb5a5306133d35a9a07.png

Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich!

image.thumb.png.6cdc79266e9eb49d7df1cb3072c6b1f0.png

That's what 2020 was about. 

DWC (?) vs. Jiffy (?). 

And I don't like him not telling the truth because...

image.thumb.png.466ae7443c8b3d37caaf70a5abc8aa22.png

Just because Trevor Lawrence dumped me and Justin Fields dumped him doesn't mean Zach Wilson didn't Marry us both (because he's a Mormon and he's allowed to share).

image.png.398c9967f7228f83b15f797b39b06d75.png

To the left is me (?) and to the right is him (?)

And you (Crusher) are the ? in the middle (our Referee).

image.png.35e6f624a00b4028804819ed66bbbff1.png

Don't you JN guys never forget (the truth).

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Nobody will ever knock me from my throne.  King of all Zach fans. 

I will knock you from your Justin Fields throne. 

Read that thread. 

I was trying to tell you that your boy Fields was going to have a bad game due to finally playing a good D (he ended up tossing 3 INTs almost 4-5) but you didn't want to believe me. 

You were all Fields and all the time. 

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I am a Jets fan. As in FAN. 

While I can be somewhat analytical and objective Tuesday through Friday during the season., when it comes down to it I can't help but become a total fanboy for our time. I never in any circumstance root for us to lose.

Now that does not mean I cannot hate a player or dislike him. If I feel that a player is holding us back I will hate him until he is gone.

But In Zach's case I am like 1,000% in. When I watched ALL his games back in December I left feeling he was the best college QB I had ever seen.

And then I so desperately wanted the Jets to pick him but I thought there was not a scintilla of a chance we would be so bold.

And then we picked him. I was SOOO excited even though, unlike Sam we pretty much knew he was the pic for many weeks.

And since then he has done everything right it seems. He has been awesome in OTAs (Sam sucked against the 3s), he has shown leadership and intelligence and work ethic.

So I am ALL IN. I will be rooting for him with every fiber of my being and will be that way until he absolutely proves he is not the guy. I was really excited about Sam (not as much as Zach, not even close) but it took me like 2.5 seasons to actually see that he sucks.

So who is with me?

20210502_193834.jpg.343c54c155594cf5ad9fddccd5d95e84.jpg

8 hours ago, Lith said:

As to my Bear fan friends, they are so screwed and they don't even know it yet.

Yup. Same here. My QB ability stinks. 

I once believed in...

image.png.a190d9dc7e24904eb61afb85f4c348a9.png

image.png.5ae23a27704ceb5aee4836a52fd13a77.png

And why? Because Bill O'Brien told me how Hack played in a N.E Brady system and was elite with X's and O's.

It's kind of embarrassing when ny fans go through my posting history and quote me on my Hack posts. 

And yeah. I celebrated San Darnold going 1-0 vs. Detroit game #1. Because after 1st place pick 6? He looked like Joe Montana rest of game ?

I also wanted Lawrence over Wilson so Jax is probably fkd too. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yup. Same here. My QB ability stinks. 

I once believed in...

image.png.a190d9dc7e24904eb61afb85f4c348a9.png

image.png.5ae23a27704ceb5aee4836a52fd13a77.png

And why? Because Bill O'Brien told me how Hack played in a N.E Brady system and was elite with X's and O's.

It's kind of embarrassing when ny fans go through my posting history and quote me on my Hack posts. 

And yeah. I celebrated San Darnold going 1-0 vs. Detroit game #1. Because after 1st place pick 6? He looked like Joe Montana rest of game ?

I also wanted Lawrence over Wilson so Jax is probably fkd too. 

You have to admit though after that first preseason drive we thought that Hack might be the one.

12 hours ago, AFJF said:

Why are so many people hung up on his physical appearance?  

Recognition and perception of aesthetics is part of the human condition.  Consider Jane Goodall's research and how it applies to other primates.  Humans are cognitively superior chimpanzees with planet killing technologies and pretty boy quarterbacks. 

• Haha 1