The all in Zach Wilson fan boy club (join here)

17 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The difference with Wilson as I pointed out in my earlier post is that he really does have the right support system - something that most of our other picks haven't had (Darnold being the strongest candidate). A GM who is focused on the OL and offensive skill positions, a HC who vows to take care of the defense (thus lightening the load for a young QB), and a progressive OC who goes out of his way to make things easier on the QB both pre and post snap. Add in a dedicated QB coach and there's really not much to complain about.

Literally the only reason I think he has a better chance at success than any other QB we have drafted. They have put things around him to support his success....2 ol, 2 rb, 2 wr, new hc, oc, etc....

If he fails we cannot blame the team for not supporting him. If he has a scintilla of potential we should be able to ride him for a number of years. He has a LOT of support. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Recognition and perception of aesthetics is part of the human condition.  Consider Jane Goodall's research and how it applies to other primates.  Humans are cognitively superior chimpanzees with planet killing technologies and pretty boy quarterbacks. 

I'm familiar with Goodall's work but I've never heard anyone preface any of their statements about her by reminding everyone what she looks like.  An alarming number of people don't seem to be capable of doing this when discussing Zach Wilson.  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'm familiar with Goodall's work but I've never heard anyone preface any of their statements about her by reminding everyone what she looks like.  An alarming number of people don't seem to be capable of doing this when discussing Zach Wilson.  

Very clinical.  Most impressive commentary.   Amazing what you come across in a football forum.  I've enjoyed and benefited greatly from this discourse. 

19 hours ago, AFJF said:

Why are so many people hung up on his physical appearance?  

I feel like when you practice in designer form fitting clothes including shorts the size of my boxer briefs with Gucci sunglasses and perfectly gelled hair, you're asking for people to take notice of your appearance.  I dont know, could be wrong but I know I wear tank tops to show of my well defined arms.  Suns out, guns out.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

I feel like when you practice in designer form fitting clothes including shorts the size of my boxer briefs with Gucci sunglasses and perfectly gelled hair, you're asking for people to take notice of your appearance.  I dont know, could be wrong but I know wear tank tops to show of my well defined arms.  Suns out, guns out.

But this isn't a new thing.  Saw tons of pre-draft commentary on his appearance when all we really saw of him was his play on the football field.  I dunno...I'm an old guy now.  Maybe just a generational thing?

Edited by AFJF

Just now, JiFapono said:

I feel like when you practice in designer form fitting clothes including shorts the size of my boxer briefs with Gucci sunglasses and perfectly gelled hair, you're asking for people to take notice of your appearance.  I dont know, could be wrong but I know wear tank tops to show of my well defined arms.  Suns out, guns out.

Indeed.  Beyond that, humans are primates with instincts and tendencies.  Noticing and responding to appearances is and always will be part of the human condition.  It plays a central role in procreation and civilization in general.  The "trivialities" of outward appearance including both the natural (physical/body characteristics) and the contrived (dress and cosmetics) play a central role in how humans react to and with each other.  It is one of the components of tribalism and in-group preference along with things like religion, language, political philosophies and what football team you identify with.  As a given troop defined by any of the items listed above learns to "include" they also learn to "exclude".  Humans, like all primates are nervous animals that are driven to form social groups.  One of the many social components that humans employ in their social systems is appearances, both natural and contrived.  It will be so until the human race goes extinct. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

But this isn't a new thing.  Saw tons of pre-draft commentary on his appearance when all we really saw of him was his play on the football field.  I dunno...I'm an old guy now.  Maybe just a generational thing?

Not new.  Older than modern man.  As old as the first caveman that bashed another caveman over the head with a bone because he was from another cave.  

odysseymonkey.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

True, I guess I was more so commenting on the "pretty boy" take in this particular instance.  You dont have to look for (hint hint, my avatar) to find pictures of Zach feeling himself.  You open yourself up (just like his Mom) when you put that sh*t out there.  That's my biggest conundrum with social media.  All these people that get butt hurt over trolls.  If you're going to post some sh*t, you better have the balls to take the trolls because there are literally people who live for that sh*t.  Why give them credence? I dont know but this is the extent of my social media, so there is that.  

The predraft stuff is typical, no?  Lawrence was being called the Blonde Tarzan and people were commenting on how skinny he was, etc.  Truth is, Zach looks like a prepubescent teen and he's being asked to lead an NFL locker room, when you throw in a injury history and how it did look like he was just scrawny little kid playing in clean pockets vs. laughable talent, I get it.  Those are factors you have to consider when selecting a player 2nd overall. 

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not new.  Older than modern man.  As old as the first caveman that bashed another caveman over the head with a bone because he was from another cave.  

odysseymonkey.jpg

Or was it because he thought the other guy was too pretty?

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

True, I guess I was more so commenting on the "pretty boy" take in this particular instance.  You dont have to look for (hint hint, my avatar) to find pictures of Zach feeling himself.  You open yourself up (just like his Mom) when you put that sh*t out there.  That's my biggest conundrum with social media.  All these people that get butt hurt over trolls.  If you're going to post some sh*t, you better have the balls to take the trolls because there are literally people who live for that sh*t.  Why give them credence? I dont know but this is the extent of my social media, so there is that.  

The predraft stuff is typical, no?  Lawrence was being called the Blonde Tarzan and people were commenting on how skinny he was, etc.  Truth is, Zach looks like a prepubescent teen and he's being asked to lead an NFL locker room, when you throw in a injury history and how it did look like he was just scrawny little kid playing in clean pockets vs. laughable talent, I get it.  Those are factors you have to consider when selecting a player 2nd overall. 

Yeah, what you're saying sounds like a football conversation so I get it.  But pre-draft I lost count of the number of comments about how attractive fans thought Zach was or was not in a way that suggested they thought it would impact his play.  

Having looked back at this very brief discussion, it's more obvious than ever that we need football to get here ASAP.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Or was it because he thought the other guy was too pretty?

Yes.  EXACTLY.  Now you got it ;-)  Guys from my cave don't wear Flintstone animal skins. We go with Barney Rubble digs.  We notice what skins your sportin'.  Come to our cave in Flintstone gear and you'll get the business end of my club.  

Appearances are noticed, evaluated, judged within a social and situational context.  Always.  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, what you're saying sounds like a football conversation so I get it.  But pre-draft I lost count of the number of comments about how attractive fans thought Zach was or was not in a way that suggested they thought it would impact his play.  

Having looked back at this very brief discussion, it's more obvious than ever that we need football to get here ASAP.

Got to weed through the hot take madness...

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Wilson is not just a football player.  He's not just playing to win or lose.  Media & money are the compelling bits here.  Brand names like NFL and NY Jets and so on.  It is profit driven.  His looks are part of the marketing mix and the viewer/consumer experience.

Remember Broadway Joe ??? Is he in the *NFL HOF more for his brilliant statistics or for his persona, charisma and good looks ??? 

The NFL is profit/media driven entertainment first and foremost.  

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

A lot of older Jet fans like myself are to worn out to get all jacked about a RK. I just hope he is the one we have been waiting for 

Yep, never fall in love until she proves she can cook.

44 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I would do the same but only my jack arm is toned. I look like a fiddler crab.

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2021 at 1:05 PM, jgb said:

Predicting a Jets player to fail -- or calling him a failure after he has already failed (ahem, Darnold) -- is not rooting for the Jets to lose. This is a scurrilous false equivalence peddled by homers.

Oh please , you have a special bottle of scented jergens picked out for when Zach throws his first Int

10 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Oh please , you have a special bottle of scented jergens picked out for when Zach throws his first Int

Little early for the "you're rooting for the Jets to lose" hot takes, isn't it? FYI I already predicted (1) the Jets offense will be better than the defense; and (2) that Wilson's first year numbers will more of less resemble Cutler's first-year starter numbers, which were very respectable. But yeah, I hope Wilson busts and the Jets suck so I can debate with people for the next 5 years how he's not a secretly-good QB that the Jets ruined. Sounds ******* thrilling.

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I don’t believe in Wilson, just as I initially didn’t believe in the others you’ve listed - but this is odd bravado.

It does seem a little pumpier than before but I think society in general grows more hyperbolic by the day.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Little early for the "you're rooting for the Jets to lose" hot takes, isn't it? FYI I already predicted (1) the Jets offense will be better than the defense; and (2) that Wilson's first year numbers will more of less resemble Cutler's first-year starter numbers, which were very respectable. But yeah, I hope Wilson busts and the Jets suck so I can debate with people for the next 5 years how he's not a secretly-good QB that the Jets ruined. Sounds ******* thrilling.

It does seem a little pumpier than before but I think society in general grows more hyperbolic by the day.

Hey, I’m not knocking you, I’m pro choice 

• Haha 1

I don’t believe in Wilson, just as I initially didn’t believe in the others you’ve listed - but this is odd bravado.
I'm excited to see what zach can bring .... confidence level = more than if we were stuck w Fields.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

On 7/19/2021 at 10:00 AM, johnnysd said:

I am a Jets fan. As in FAN. 

While I can be somewhat analytical and objective Tuesday through Friday during the season., when it comes down to it I can't help but become a total fanboy for our time. I never in any circumstance root for us to lose.

Now that does not mean I cannot hate a player or dislike him. If I feel that a player is holding us back I will hate him until he is gone.

But In Zach's case I am like 1,000% in. When I watched ALL his games back in December I left feeling he was the best college QB I had ever seen.

And then I so desperately wanted the Jets to pick him but I thought there was not a scintilla of a chance we would be so bold.

And then we picked him. I was SOOO excited even though, unlike Sam we pretty much knew he was the pic for many weeks.

And since then he has done everything right it seems. He has been awesome in OTAs (Sam sucked against the 3s), he has shown leadership and intelligence and work ethic.

So I am ALL IN. I will be rooting for him with every fiber of my being and will be that way until he absolutely proves he is not the guy. I was really excited about Sam (not as much as Zach, not even close) but it took me like 2.5 seasons to actually see that he sucks.

So who is with me?

I have always thought never to buy a jersey of currently playing player on the team, especially not a rookie but then i bought a sam jersey on hope - and you knwo what? I got a wilson jersey too!

SO BRING TEAM WILSON BABY LETS GO JETS!!

On 7/19/2021 at 2:08 PM, THE BARON said:

Until Zach "Pretty Boy" Wilson gives me a reason to be a particular fan, he's just "potential" 

Either he can reproduce the type of play we saw from him in college in the NFL, or he can't.   He wont be a QB like Sanchez, Gabbert or Trubisky.  Meaning there wont be lingering questions regarding weather he will pan out or not for four years or so.  Wilson is going to be uniquely elite, or an absolute disaster and we'll know which way it will go by game three of the regular season. 

This does feel right.

I think it's because his talent level is so high.  If he can't harness that talent to show he can be elite he likely never will.

Now, I don't expect him to have huge numbers this year but unlike the guys before I agree, it'll likely be pretty clear what he's going to be.

• Upvote 1

On 7/20/2021 at 12:33 PM, THE BARON said:

Wilson is not just a football player.  He's not just playing to win or lose.  Media & money are the compelling bits here.  Brand names like NFL and NY Jets and so on.  It is profit driven.  His looks are part of the marketing mix and the viewer/consumer experience.

Remember Broadway Joe ??? Is he in the *NFL HOF more for his brilliant statistics or for his persona, charisma and good looks ??? 

The NFL is profit/media driven entertainment first and foremost.  

Joe even did a panty hose commercial.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?extid=SEO----&v=307719107042227

• Upvote 1

On 7/20/2021 at 12:13 PM, JiFapono said:

Yeah but in high school he was voted best dressed and most likely to succeed. Kids a lock!