Zach represented by Bosa's team and JD won't budge..

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

So, in your logic, they shouldn't have drafted a player at #2 if they want to protect themselves as an organization?  Not sure I understand said logic.

How are they protecting themselves? No offsets wouldn’t prevent the Jets from signing players or impact their cap at all. It has zero to do with the on the field product. You don’t draft a guy second to play QB and then throw in guardrails because he might dog it. That’s amateur hour bullsh*t. We’re not hiring for the parks and rec dept

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

How are they protecting themselves? No offsets wouldn’t prevent the Jets from signing players or impact their cap at all. It has zero to do with the on the field product. You don’t draft a guy second to play QB and then throw in guardrails because he might dog it. That’s amateur hour bullsh*t. We’re not hiring for the parks and rec dept

Okay dude.  I guess when it isn't you paying the millions of dollars, it makes it VERY easy not to give a s**t.  And quite frankly, its amateur hour to not agree to something basic like that.  If you agree to play for $5 million dollars, and I let you go, what do you care what the next team pays you, IF there even is another team paying you, if you are getting all $5 million anyway?  Unless of course, that attitude is the reason for putting in the protection in the first place.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Why would you draft a player second overall if you didn’t have confidence he’s finish out his deal?

Because sometimes it doesnt work out?  Two of the top 3 rated QBs, both drafted high, one lasted one year the other 3?

11 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Okay dude.  I guess when it isn't you paying the millions of dollars, it makes it VERY easy not to give a s**t.  And quite frankly, its amateur hour to not agree to something basic like that.  If you agree to play for $5 million dollars, and I let you go, what do you care what the next team pays you, IF there even is another team paying you, if you are getting all $5 million anyway?  Unless of course, that attitude is the reason for putting in the protection in the first place.

The commitment from the Jets entails the full contract with the expectations that Wilson is going to try his best and be here for the duration of the deal. The Johnsons haggling over money when they are billionaires to save a few bucks over something that has zero impact on the cap or the team is why the Jets are the Jets. I’m not going to shill for a billionaire owner who’s worried about this.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

SOJ 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because sometimes it doesnt work out?  Two of the top 3 rated QBs, both drafted high, one lasted one year the other 3?

If it doesn’t work out why as a fan should I care about the Johnson’s money? How does this help the team win games?

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

If it doesn’t work out why as a fan should I care about the Johnson’s money? How does this help the team win games?

You dont care about Johnsons money and you hate the Johnsons.  Why should they care that youre overblowing the short holdout we've all seen a hundred times over when your pretty vocal about hating owners.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If Zach doesn’t sign by tomorrow’s practice, it will take all of one day with James Morgan and Mike White at QB1 for Douglas to cave in negotiations.

Which is probably exactly what Zach and his agent are couting on.  He had no leverage over the last couple of months.  That changes in the next day or two.  If the issue really is offset language, it is incredibly disappointing to let it go this far over what largely is a hypothetical argument.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I'd like to take a crack at this.

Lets say I hire you to do a job for $50K a year for the next three years.  You dog it for the first two, and I fire you.  I still owe you $50K for that third year, but you go and work for someone else that third year for $40K.  If I agreed to pay you $50K for a year, and you find a job for $40K, why should I be on the hook for a whole $50K instead of $10K?  Then, you go on to be the best employee at that company.  Who is to say you didn't dog it on purpose so I would fire you, then go to the company you really wanted to be with AND get paid by me to go to said company you wanted to work for all along at an almost equal amount of earnings?

Because before the Union and owners negiotated your 50K for the next 3 years you would have been guaranteed 450K at signing.  

The NFL is a monopoly with shared income.  If you dog it and suck it doesn't cost the owner a dime.  If a key employee of a company in a competitive environment dogs it, it might cost you your business.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You dont care about Johnsons money and you hate the Johnsons.  Why should they care that youre overblowing the short holdout we've all seen a hundred times over when your pretty vocal about hating owners.

Why should we care about anything. 

If Im the player, damn straight I want it in my contract.  I want the guarantees and all that goes with it.

If Im the owner, damn straight I dont want it in a contract if I can eliminate eliminate it.

Having the option to negotiate "offset language" creates problems all the time because why wouldnt you want it or hate it depending on which side of the ledger youre on.

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So what?  It doesn't impact the Johnsons revenue share if the player washes out.  If there's dead cap it reduces their spend on replacement players but it doesn't impact their earnings.  

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

So what?  It doesn't impact the Johnsons revenue share if the player washes out.  If there's dead cap it reduces their spend on replacement players but it doesn't impact their earnings.  

There is a reason other teams sign their players and leave this stuff to the Jets and Chargers.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If you cut a player within the first 4 years and you have to pay him it doesnt affect revenue share? 

55 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I'd like to take a crack at this.

Lets say I hire you to do a job for $50K a year for the next three years.  You dog it for the first two, and I fire you.  I still owe you $50K for that third year, but you go and work for someone else that third year for $40K.  If I agreed to pay you $50K for a year, and you find a job for $40K, why should I be on the hook for a whole $50K instead of $10K?  Then, you go on to be the best employee at that company.  Who is to say you didn't dog it on purpose so I would fire you, then go to the company you really wanted to be with AND get paid by me to go to said company you wanted to work for all along at an almost equal amount of earnings?

Honestly, I'm not even arguing who's point is right or wrong here, if Zach is being unreasonable with his demands, etc. Imo the entire thing is not worth keeping your QB from getting to camp. This team is paying out 27mil in dead money this year. Digging your heals in over a portion of whatever is left of Zachs guaranteed money in the exceptionally unlikely event you cut him is stupid and not worth him missing a minute of camp, imo. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Douglas is ******* this up. **** the offset language you stupid ****. Just get the kid in here. If you wind up needing the offset language it means your fat ass is fired anyway. Stupid mfer

Pretty sure this is Woody. Mac haggled over the same BS

17 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Douglas is ******* this up. **** the offset language you stupid ****. Just get the kid in here. If you wind up needing the offset language it means your fat ass is fired anyway. Stupid mfer

This is squarely on the brothers Johnson. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

A bit much, kiddo.

If he gets it done today then maybe it was a bit much. Bit if not then no it's not. You dont draft jettison your former #3 pick qb, draft a guys 2 overall to be the franchise and then squabble over some stupid offset language.....keeping him from showing up to a very important training camp on time. Its f'ing stupid

• Upvote 2

Just now, neckdemon said:

If he gets it done today then maybe it was a bit much. Bit if not then no it's not. You dont draft jettison your former #3 pick qb, draft a guys 2 overall to be the franchise and then squabble over some stupid offset language.....keeping him from showing up to a very important training camp on time. Its f'ing stupid

It’s just not that serious to me. Count me in with the stressed crowd when 2 or 3 days of camp goes by without Zach Wilson. There’s plenty of reps to be had.

until then I see this getting done some time today or early tomorrow. Either way it’s just football and I’m not going to stress over it.

• Upvote 3