Zach represented by Bosa's team and JD won't budge..

This has nothing to do with offset language. This has everything to do with his PAYMENT schedule and breakdown. 

I'm sure Wilson wants the same payment schedule and breakdown and I'm sure the Johnsons would rather not use roster bonuses and instead use more of a base salary structure. 

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This has nothing to do with offset language. This has everything to do with his PAYMENT schedule and breakdown. 

I'm sure Wilson wants the same payment schedule and breakdown and I'm sure the Johnsons would rather not use roster bonuses and instead use more of a base salary structure. 

I doubt Zach would want a contract with the majority of the compensation coming in the form of roster bonuses. That wording suggests that the Jags could get out of most of the contract if they cut him before his first roster bonus was due. It’s obviously unlikely, but that’s a lot better for the team than offset language could ever be. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The commitment from the Jets entails the full contract with the expectations that Wilson is going to try his best and be here for the duration of the deal. The Johnsons haggling over money when they are billionaires to save a few bucks over something that has zero impact on the cap or the team is why the Jets are the Jets. I’m not going to shill for a billionaire owner who’s worried about this.

it's all about the CAP implications for future players - not ZW.

i don't believe the whole precedent thing - it's easy to say this is only for FQB.  But they seem to dig in here.  

The owner being a billionaire has nothing to do with it.  you are mistaken for that view. 

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You dont care about Johnsons money and you hate the Johnsons.  Why should they care that youre overblowing the short holdout we've all seen a hundred times over when your pretty vocal about hating owners.

him and bit are a one trick pony.  they don't like the owners.  i recommend they follow another team because woody isn't going anywhere.  they both seem young enough to pick another team and have several decades of enjoyment.

36 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It's both.  If he gets all his money up front there's no offset issue.  Money today is worth more than the same money tomorrow.  If there's an issue with the team paying if they have the money you have to lawyer up to go after them.  If you have the money they have to lawyer up to get it back. 

With money possession and time matters a lot.  

48 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s just not that serious to me. Count me in with the stressed crowd when 2 or 3 days of camp goes by without Zach Wilson. There’s plenty of reps to be had.

until then I see this getting done some time today or early tomorrow. Either way it’s just football and I’m not going to stress over it.

agree 100%... could be done today and he's here tomorrow or could be done this week. Nothing to worry about 

Saleh and LaFleur can see Mike White and Morgan a little more in situations/with players they may not... people here need to take a shot or a deep breath

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Mostly because he’s in California practicing with his QB coach and his professional agent is handling the meetings. Maybe I’m wrong, but my assumption is the agent tells these kids what they want and don’t want. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t hire an attorney to give him my opinion, I hire an attorney for his. 

^^^^

Masterclass

#IYKYK #tehmafia

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Don't think it does.  It's offset by a reduced payroll allocation.  

Youre paying a player who isnt playing for you and because of reduced payroll allocation its better?  No, paying players who actually contribute to the team is a better position to be in

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why isn't it on Zach?

Why does the one demanding special treatment not bear any of the responsibility for showing up?

Is it your view that every NFL team needs to give in to every players demands whenever a contract is being arranged, to ensure they all show up on time?  And that the players making demands places no responsabillity on them for not showing up?

I'd also ask what evidence you have that the Johnsons are playing any role in this?  They said specifically, JD is in charge.  You don't believe that now?  Or is belief in that conditional on the convenience of believing it?

Was it the Jets/Johnsons/GM's fault every time Revis held out too?  Or was any of it on Revis?

This very much feels like a "blame the guy we already hate, never blame the player we already invested in loving unconditionally" as opposed to a logical and consistent opinion of responsibility for an impasse.

Because it is the same exact situation as Darnold when JD was not GM and then the issue was not purely offset language but when Sam would get the bulk of the money. Sure it is just my gut feel but same situation same owners.  Same likely hold out and compromise.

8 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

him and bit are a one trick pony.  they don't like the owners.  i recommend they follow another team because woody isn't going anywhere.  they both seem young enough to pick another team and have several decades of enjoyment.

Your rooting interest in sports is based on ownership?  I've been through 4 ownerships of the Jets.  Didn't root for the Jets because of any of them.  The Jets just happen to be my home town team.  They were on local TV and radio and they were easy to follow and root for.  Ownership didn't matter on my rooting interest, it does matter in the quality of the organization which ultimately is the difference between success and failure with a few exceptions.

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think you nailed it.  If this is "on" anyone, it's the Player's Agent.

But I will disagree with you slightly, I hire an agent to act as an extension of MY priorities.

I lay out to my Agent what results I want, if possible, and what results I simply must have.  

The agent can advise me, "hey, you should want this too", or "hey, this is important for this reason too".

But the Agent should not be driving the agenda, the Player should.

If being here for Day 1 was the priority of the player, he'd be here.  

Clearly, the player has other priorities.  That's not a judgement, it's just a logical conclusion based on him not being here.  He values something in his contract more than he values being here for Day 1.

Which, if it gets settled quickly, is fine.  Missing Day 1 is not a huge deal, very little actually happens on Day 1 in most teams camps.

If we're still here in a few days, then we have a problem.

Perhaps the Jets could operate in good faith with the second pick of the draft and their QB of the future by showing confidence in his ability and have the expectation that he will fulfill his contract and try his best. Ownership building in an escape clause already to save themselves some money (that has no impact on the cap or roster construction) is just petty BS.

Edited by Matt39
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Biggs said:

Your rooting interest in sports is based on ownership?  I've been through 4 ownerships of the Jets.  Didn't root for the Jets because of any of them.  The Jets just happen to be my home town team.  They were on local TV and radio and they were easy to follow and root for.  Ownership didn't matter on my rooting interest, it does matter in the quality of the organization which ultimately is the difference between success and failure with a few exceptions.

We got dudes here shilling for the Johnsons. It’s unreal.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre paying a player who isnt playing for you and because of reduced payroll allocation its better?  No, paying players who actually contribute to the team is a better position to be in

You're being argumentative over chicken sh*t.  It's a rounding error in terms of the cap in 4 years vs a solid commitment to your Quarterback who is the linchpin to the success of this group of management going forward.

It makes Saleh, a rookie HC a liar and Douglas looks like a guy who doesn't negiotate in good faith with his guys.  This isn't one of Mac's guys.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Biggs said:

You're being argumentative over chicken sh*t.  It's a rounding error in terms of the cap in 4 years vs a solid commitment to your Quarterback who is the linchpin to the success of this group of management going forward.

It makes Saleh, a rookie HC a liar and Douglas looks like a guy who doesn't negiotate in good faith with his guys.  This isn't one of Mac's guys.  

Argumentative?  Again?  lol, you whine whenever someone doesnt agree with you

No paying a player who's gone and earning a paycheck somewhere else has nothing to do with a solid commitment.  

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Thank you so much for this sane post!

Folks defending this are saying "the Jets are protecting" themselves.

Well you mean Lawrence's and Field's respective teams DON'T want to protect themselves?????

People are actually arguing. this?

Time for some us to wake up and realize that the Jets are NOT one of the more intelligently operated teams in the NFL and that hasn't been an accident and it is showing here!

Good Grief!!!

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you so much for this sane post!

Folks defending this are saying "the Jets are protecting" themselves.

Well you mean Lawrence's and Field's respective teams DON'T want to protect themselves?????

People are actually arguing. this?

Time for some us to wake up and realize that the Jets are NOT one of the more intelligently operated teams in the NFL and that hasn't been an accident and it is showing here!

Good Grief!!!

Slapdick franchise

24 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Because it is the same exact situation as Darnold when JD was not GM and then the issue was not purely offset language but when Sam would get the bulk of the money. Sure it is just my gut feel but same situation same owners.  Same likely hold out and compromise.

When it comes to complex business negotiations fans are not privy to, I think we might be wise to stop having "gut feelings" or feeling like we have to find someone to blame.

This is a failure of both sides.  The team and the player and his agent.

24 minutes ago, Biggs said:

no ownership doesn't impact my rooting interest.  however, for some like the poster ownership clouds all his thinking.  

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

When it comes to complex business negotiations fans are not privy to, I think we might be wise to stop having "gut feelings" or feeling like we have to find someone to blame.

This is a failure of both sides.  The team and the player and his agent.

This isn’t complex. The deal is set in stone. This is literally the owners worried about when they have to pay Wilson or if he’s released. It has zero impact on the salary cap or the roster construction.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Perhaps the Jets could operate in good faith with the second pick of the draft and their QB of the future by showing confidence in his ability and have the expectation that he will fulfill his contract and try his best. Ownership building in an escape clause already to save themselves some money (that has no impact on the cap or roster construction) is just petty BS.

If it's pretty, why does the player not agree to it?

After all, the player should show confidence in himself that he will not bust.

And if he does, let his new team pay him his full salary.  Why should we?

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If it's pretty, why does the player not agree to it?

After all, the player should show confidence in himself that he will not bust.

And if he does, let his new team pay him his full salary.  Why should we?

Because the team chose him not the other way around. 

• Post of the Week 1