Zach represented by Bosa's team and JD won't budge..

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Classic jet fan right here.  Is ok with having one or 2 decent seasons followed by 10 years of being horrible.

Good thing Joe D is setting us up for long term success.  And making a stand w/ a high profile draft pick is part of that.

But Jet fans have never experienced long term success so its not surprising they dont understand whats going on.

I think they are fully aware whats happening ... but like a child on christmas that opens a gift and discovers its an IOU .... they are dissapointed ,,,, they want their PS5 Now ... not next week.

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Classic jet fan right here.  Is ok with having one or 2 decent seasons followed by 10 years of being horrible.

Listen, I understand the long-term-build-it-the-right-way strategy.  We don't need to get into it.

But what you need to understand is that the go-for-broke strategy works too.  Look at the Indianapolis Colts with Peyton Manning, look at the New Orleans Saints with Drew Brees.  Great rosters, great coaching, hall of fame quarterbacks......15 years of dominance.....1 measly Super Bowl.

If you look at NFL history the last 25 years, other than the otherworldly Tom Brady, it's all about sucking and frustration and hoping for just 1 magical season before you go back to the abyss again.  What the Jets did in '09 and '10 almost worked.  If we had a better quarterback and then loaded up on the same FA's we did, we would have actually won a Super Bowl. 

Oh, and the Tampa Bay Bucs say hello.  They brought in Brady and a dozen expensive/older guys and instant rings.  Tell me they'll be crying the next 8 years when they suck again.  I don't think so.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I think they are fully aware whats happening ... but like a child on christmas that opens a gift and discovers its an IOU .... they are dissapointed ,,,, they want their PS5 Now ... not next week.

My ps5 took 2 days to arrive once I was able to get one. 

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Listen, I understand the long-term-build-it-the-right-way strategy.  We don't need to get into it.

But what you need to understand is that the go-for-broke strategy works too.  Look at the Indianapolis Colts with Peyton Manning, look at the New Orleans Saints with Drew Brees.  Great rosters, great coaching, hall of fame quarterbacks......15 years of dominance.....1 measly Super Bowl.

If you look at NFL history the last 25 years, other than the otherworldly Tom Brady, it's all about sucking and frustration and hoping for just 1 magical season before you go back to the abyss again.  What the Jets did in '09 and '10 almost worked.  If we had a better quarterback and then loaded up on the same FA's we did, we would have actually won a Super Bowl. 

Oh, and the Tampa Bay Bucs say hello.  They brought in Brady and a dozen expensive/older guys and instant rings.  Tell me they'll be crying the next 8 years when they suck again.  I don't think so.

SAR I

They brought those guys in because they had the greatest qb of all time want to play there.

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The past 10 years, we’ve watched countless minutes of nfl games, read countless articles, analyzed tons of draft picks, played fantasy, etc.  and you know what, I’d take 10 good seasons of jet football and one measly super bowl.  For the time and emotional investment I’ve made in this team, I’d like to feel good when i watch the games, I’d like the jets to be relevant in the nfl.  I’d like to have some league leaders on offense, some relevant fantasy players, some positive vibes from the national media.  I don’t want a go for broke, i want a consistent playoff team.

30 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Good thing Joe D is setting us up for long term success.  And making a stand w/ a high profile draft pick is part of that.

But Jet fans have never experienced long term success so its not surprising they dont understand whats going on.

General Custer made a stand at Little Big Horn…

You gotta know when to hold em know when to fold them… 

As a Jets fan I think the teams long term success is Zach winning this contract battle.  In the long run It will be good for Joe D and the football organization.  My way or the highway isn’t going to fly with successful, educated players.  joe D has been successful culling the team of mediocre players with no options.  Elite players have options.  Elite QBs get paid.  If Zach isn’t an elite QB Douglas will be fired.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You're telling me you wouldn't sign up for that right now?

I'd gladly sign up for being one of the premier teams in the NFL for 10+ years even if it meant "only" winning one Super Bowl.

as long as we win it sooner... you know while my liver can handle the celebration... lol

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I know that they don't work for the company or are involved in its day to day business operations, but I'm willing to bet that a good part of their fortune is tied to (or invested in) J&J company stock. Of course, I don't know this for sure but it's an educated guess.

They probably do still own stock or stock options that I agree with but their fortune isn’t all together tied to J&J

the board of J&J would never let either one of those idiots near their operations

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jethead said:

Same issue with Sam. Same issue with Q. This is on Woody, not JD.

Apparently only 2 teams out of 32 have taken this position on offsets and the Jets are one of them.  And if you caved on Darnold, why wouldn't you cave for Wilson?  And by the way, as bad as Darnold was, caving on the offset language didn't cause the Jets one red cent.

29 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

They brought those guys in because they had the greatest qb of all time want to play there.

And what would stop the Jets from offering Aaron Rogers the largest payday in NFL history and 2% of the franchise along with a commitment to let him sit in the room and choose every draft pick and free agent for the next 3 years?

Let me tell you, that would get us closer to a Super Bowl by 2024 than the path we're on now.  The Bucs bought a Super Bowl, went full George Steinbrenner.  So too can we.

SAR I

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

Apparently only 2 teams out of 32 have taken this position on offsets and the Jets are one of them.  And if you caved on Darnold, why wouldn't you cave for Wilson?  And by the way, as bad as Darnold was, caving on the offset language didn't cause the Jets one red cent.

I heard the same story as you, but I think you have it backwards:  only two teams do NOT include this offset language (the Jags are one of them - hence why no issue with Trevor signing).  The Jets are in line with the other 30.

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

General Custer made a stand at Little Big Horn…

You gotta know when to hold em know when to fold them… 

As a Jets fan I think the teams long term success is Zach winning this contract battle.  In the long run It will be good for Joe D and the football organization.  My way or the highway isn’t going to fly with successful, educated players.  joe D has been successful culling the team of mediocre players with no options.  Elite players have options.  Elite QBs get paid.  If Zach isn’t an elite QB Douglas will be fired.  

I disagree.

First, a good organization doesn't cave in to players demands. See how the Steelers handled Leveon Bell or Antonio Brown and how the Patriots treat everyone? Once a GM shows that he is weak, then every player will try to take advantage of him and start holding out for more money.

Second, Zach doesn't need to be elite to keep his job. It would be nice, but building a talented roster year in and year out is what wins games. If Zach is Kirk Cousins and the Jets win 10/11 games a year, they aren't going to fire JD simply because Zach isn't "elite."

With all that said, there is a point where allowing this holdout to continue deep into camp would be horrible for the franchise in both the development of Zach and the optics. But we are far, far, far away from that point. Wilson has missed nothing so far......

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The past 10 years, we’ve watched countless minutes of nfl games, read countless articles, analyzed tons of draft picks, played fantasy, etc.  and you know what, I’d take 10 good seasons of jet football and one measly super bowl.  For the time and emotional investment I’ve made in this team, I’d like to feel good when i watch the games, I’d like the jets to be relevant in the nfl.  I’d like to have some league leaders on offense, some relevant fantasy players, some positive vibes from the national media.  I don’t want a go for broke, i want a consistent playoff team.

And I can see that and I can respect that.

Me, I'd take sucking for 9 years followed by 1 Super Bowl glory season over that any day of the week.  I'm still buzzing off the Rangers Stanley Cup in 1994.  What happened before or since doesn't matter.

And ask yourself how Dolphins fans feel having Dan Marino for 15 years and no Super Bowl at all.  Yes, some great football, some exciting wins, some proud moments.  But nothing to show for it.  

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And what would stop the Jets from offering Aaron Rogers the largest payday in NFL history and 2% of the franchise along with a commitment to let him sit in the room and choose every draft pick and free agent for the next 3 years?

Let me tell you, that would get us closer to a Super Bowl by 2024 than the path we're on now.  The Bucs bought a Super Bowl, went full George Steinbrenner.  So too can we.

SAR I

The bucs didnt buy a superbowl like you're trying claim. They already had a lot of pieces in place that they drafted and already had signed before Brady. 

3 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I heard the same story as you, but I think you have it backwards:  only two teams do NOT include this offset language (the Jags are one of them - hence why no issue with Trevor signing).  The Jets are in line with the other 30.

I may have misunderstood.  If you are correct, then it makes me a little pissed at the Jets.  And the only other issue that could be in play (dates of payments of bonuses) should be an absolute non-issue.  If you can afford to own an NFL team, you can afford to pay these bonuses within a few weeks.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You're telling me you wouldn't sign up for that right now?

I'd gladly sign up for being one of the premier teams in the NFL for 10+ years even if it meant "only" winning one Super Bowl.

That's my point.  10 years of losing, 1 year of glory, that's the NFL formula.  You build something patiently and pray you get it right that one season.  Sometimes you're the Ravens.  Sometimes though, you're the Falcons.

And I'm saying that the Jets proved that an average drafted roster loaded up with free agents led by a rookie quarterback could get within 30 minutes of the Super Bowl.  Twice.

Aaron Rogers 2021 leading the exact 2009 and 2010 Jets teams wins two Super Bowls.  And that's the object.  Get to a Super Bowl and win it.  No style points for doing it "the right way".

SAR I

4 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

The bucs didnt buy a superbowl like you're trying claim. They already had a lot of pieces in place that they drafted and already had signed before Brady. 

Yes, they were a .500 team.  Where many predict the Jets to be this year or next.  And then they bought the best QB in the league and gave him millions to pick and choose his own playmakers.

The point is there comes a time when you need really good players to win a lot of games and make a playoff run.  Joe Douglas being so cavalier and dumping our best players isn't the way to do it.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I disagree.

First, a good organization doesn't cave in to players demands. See how the Steelers handled Leveon Bell or Antonio Brown and how the Patriots treat everyone? Once a GM shows that he is weak, then every player will try to take advantage of him and start holding out for more money.

Second, Zach doesn't need to be elite to keep his job. It would be nice, but building a talented roster year in and year out is what wins games. If Zach is Kirk Cousins and the Jets win 10/11 games a year, they aren't going to fire JD simply because Zach isn't "elite."

With all that said, there is a point where allowing this holdout to continue deep into camp would be horrible for the franchise in both the development of Zach and the optics. But we are far, far, far away from that point. Wilson has missed nothing so far......

Wilson isn’t making any demands- the contract is set in stone! For gods sakes with this stuff. His upfront money or the silly offsets have zero impact on the Jets salary cap or Douglas’s ability to sign players. It literally has zero impact on the football product or roster construction. None. It’s simply the owner not wanting to give the player his signing bonus upfront. The player the Jets chose to be the face of their franchise. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's my point.  10 years of losing, 1 year of glory, that's the NFL formula.  You build something patiently and pray you get it right that one season.  Sometimes you're the Ravens.  Sometimes though, you're the Falcons.

And I'm saying that the Jets proved that an average drafted roster loaded up with free agents led by a rookie quarterback could get within 30 minutes of the Super Bowl.  Twice.

Aaron Rogers 2021 leading the exact 2009 and 2010 Jets teams wins two Super Bowls.  And that's the object.  Get to a Super Bowl and win it.  No style points for doing it "the right way".

SAR I

Well it's not your point. I would much rather be a Colts or Saints team that was one of the elite NFL teams deep in the playoffs every year with one SB win than a team who sucked for ten years and won once in a fluky year.

Either way you only actually win one Super Bowl (which is all I really need, tbh) but part of following the team is the fun of the chase. It's 100x more exciting for me when the Jets are good. This past decade has really sapped my enthusiasm.

8 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I may have misunderstood.  If you are correct, then it makes me a little pissed at the Jets.  And the only other issue that could be in play (dates of payments of bonuses) should be an absolute non-issue.  If you can afford to own an NFL team, you can afford to pay these bonuses within a few weeks.

No one knows what the hold up is Alijah Vera-Tucker had no problem with his contract Wilsons agents might have some unusual stuff they want in.. If they are the same group as Joey Bosa they had him out for 4 weeks before he signed but he's a DE not a QB..

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Wilson isn’t making any demands- the contract is set in stone! For gods sakes with this stuff. His upfront money or the silly offsets have zero impact on the Jets salary cap or Douglas’s ability to sign players. It’s simply the owner not wanting to give the player his signing bonus upfront. The player the Jets chose to be the face of their franchise. 

So you think it's the Owner in SF that is doing the same thing to Trey Lance?  

A week ago, I wasn't concerned.  With the first training camp practice a few hours away, I am more pissed than worried.  They will get this done in the next few days.  But it just seems so unnecessary for Zach to miss any time. 

Not sure who is at fauilt here, team, agent or player.  Probably a little of each.  If the only two negotiable issues are timing of bonus payments and offsets, it seems so unnecessary for this to have gotten this far.  3 months since he was drafted and they can't come to agreement on two major issues.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you think it's the Owner in SF that is doing the same thing to Trey Lance?  

SF is waiting to see what the Jets do with Wilson I’d imagine. They have that luxury with a starting QB with experience on the roster. 

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Aaron Rodgers is playing for Green Bay this year. So that could be stopping the Jets

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I disagree.

The Steelers and Pats without great QB play are the NY Jets. 

7 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Do we think this gets done before first practice open to fans on Saturday? I think that is the second soft deadline after first practice today. I would be stunned if Zach is not signed by the green white game.

If Zach is not signed for that first fan practice, I expect a whole lot of stories about people getting kicked out for verbal assaults on Woody, JD, et al.

Anything less and I would be disappointed.

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

A week ago, I wasn't concerned.  With the first training camp practice a few hours away, I am more pissed than worried.  They will get this done in the next few days.  But it just seems so unnecessary for Zach to miss any time. 

Not sure who is at fauilt here, team, agent or player.  Probably a little of each.  If the only two negotiable issues are timing of bonus payments and offsets, it seems so unnecessary for this to have gotten this far.  3 months since he was drafted and they can't come to agreement on two major issues.  

I genuinely don’t even care about practice today.  There’s absolutely zero things to be excited about.  It’s going to be a sloppy, awful, mess.  The offense is going to look horrendous and the Jets are going to get made fun of and chewed apart on social media all day long.

• Upvote 1