Zach represented by Bosa's team and JD won't budge..

Your mental make-up is not just who you are on the field, it is who you are off the field.  I am totally confident that Wilson will sign soon and I love the fact that he is willing to stand toe to toe with management. It takes mental toughness and cojones to do so before he's ever taken an NFL snap.  

BTW, who has the better hand in this negotiation? The rookie #2 pick QB who is the team's only real option at QB, or the GM of the losing franchise that refuses to give the rookie stuff that other teams would give him in a heartbeat. I'm not saying that JD is being a dick. He has his way of wanting to do things and should try and stick to his plan, but Wilson is not asking for stuff that no one ever gets. In fact, most teams would have given it to him from the get go.  So, Kudos to Zach. He's already showing that he is a playa!

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Then he's an idiot as well as greedy.

We can't all have everything we want, but most of us show up to work anyway.

You’re missing the most important point of this.…Zach hasn’t yet agreed to become an employee of the Jets.
He shouldn’t show up to work for a company that wants (drafted) him, until he’s happy with the contract they want him to sign.

If Acme Cleaners in Va. decided they wanted to hire Warfish, I’m certain Mr. Warfish wouldn’t take them up on their offer and show up for his first day of work unless he was happy with his terms of employment.

39 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Why are you acting like regular employment is comparable to being the 2nd pick in the NFL draft?

Because the principal is the same in my view.

Being the 2nd pick in the NFL draft does not mean I should pay you if you suck and I have to cut you.

The Jets have already told Wilson that he’s invaluable by selecting him.

No, the Jets told him they expect him to be their QB.

If he's not, and he's cut, he shouldn't be paid like he still is.

Let me ask you this, why are you so desperate that our team, the team we root for, should promise to pay a player we've already cut?

If it's just "I want him in camp", that's not an actual reason.

His demands are based on his worth as a 2nd overall pick.

In your opinion.  In mine they're unreasonable and I wouldn;t give him (or anyone) such a thing.

But I'd also have these eliminated from NFL rookie contracts as a whole if I were Ownership (in the next CBA).

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Your mental make-up is not just who you are on the field, it is who you are off the field.  I am totally confident the Wilson will sign soon and I love the fact that he is willing to stand toe to toe with management. It takes mental toughness and cojones to do so before he's ever taken an NFL snap.  

BTW, who has the better hand in this negotiation? The rookie #2 pick QB who is the team's only real option at QB, or the GM of the losing franchise that refuses to give the rookie stuff that other teams would give him in a heartbeat. I'm not saying that JD is being a dick. He has his way of wanting to do things and should try and stick to his plan, but Wilson is not asking for stuff that no one ever gets. In fact, most teams would have given it to him from the get go.  So, Kudos to Zach. He's already showing that he is a playa!

Yeah. This is what worries me. JD has shown tremendous patience and discipline in his negotiations, but he has given Zach all the leverage by not signing a vet qb to date of any threat with the public explanation that he wanted to focus reps on Zach and the young arms. 

I doubt these camp arms will make much of a difference as Zach's camp knows how much value is lost right now with him not there and the recent tragedy in the staff.

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Listen, I understand the long-term-build-it-the-right-way strategy.  We don't need to get into it.

But what you need to understand is that the go-for-broke strategy works too.  Look at the Indianapolis Colts with Peyton Manning, look at the New Orleans Saints with Drew Brees.  Great rosters, great coaching, hall of fame quarterbacks......15 years of dominance.....1 measly Super Bowl.

If you look at NFL history the last 25 years, other than the otherworldly Tom Brady, it's all about sucking and frustration and hoping for just 1 magical season before you go back to the abyss again.  What the Jets did in '09 and '10 almost worked.  If we had a better quarterback and then loaded up on the same FA's we did, we would have actually won a Super Bowl. 

Oh, and the Tampa Bay Bucs say hello.  They brought in Brady and a dozen expensive/older guys and instant rings.  Tell me they'll be crying the next 8 years when they suck again.  I don't think so.

SAR I

Go for broke is fine when you have the foundation in place and are just a couple pieces away from truly competing for a title. The Jets aren't there yet. Give it a couple years, then maybe you go for broke if the pieces are in place.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If the Jets were worried about Wilson not working out then they should have traded the pick or taken someone else. 

Sorry, that's not how it works.

No one buys a major asset without a warranty should things go wrong.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Who blinks first?  3 first round QBs had offset language removed.  Jets have never removed offset language.  In all likelihood the offset language is never going to come into play for Wilson.   He is not going to be released during his rookie contract, and by most counts, he is a good kid with his head screwed on straight who is not likely to get suspended.  He is missing camp for what is largely a hypothetical.

I know he is just a 21-year old kid, but at some point, I would hope he tells his agent to give up the offset language, get me the best timing you can on bonus payments and get in to camp. 

Offset language seems like a strange hill to die on.

That goes both ways, doesn’t it? What about the hill the Jets are on right now?

Not to mention Zach isn’t a kid from an impoverished family that is desperate for their son to accept a contract so they can finally have a decent standard of living.

We (the Jets) drafted him, he didn’t draft us.

We chose not to have another viable QB option on the roster.

We all know this will get done eventually, and Wilson will get his $$$$ so he’s not getting hurt at all by waiting. The Jets dragging this out more than a week or two could have an impact on their season though. As long as you’re going to pay him, you should be worried about preparing him also, no?

19 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Zach's camp knows how much value is lost right now with him not there and the recent tragedy in the staff.

Zach's career path will surely be damaged if he holds out for a lengthy period, then sh*ts the bed.

No big 2nd contracts for guys who sh*t the bed.

Zach may be cutting off his own nose by holding out and hurting himself in his rookie campaign.

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Mickey Mouse and clown shoes organization.

Do yourself a favor Zach.  Just holdout and re-enter the draft next year.

You would think they would have worked out some vets prior to camp starting in the event something like this were to happen. Wondering if the super short practice today was Saleh telling the FO to get their act together. 

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Woody is guilty only of hiring Joe Douglas and allowing him the kind of arrogant autonomy that has put us in this Zach Wilson situation.

Give it a day, if Zach isn't signed in the next 24 hours then Woody will put his foot down and force Douglas to get it done.  Woody has a lot of unhappy season ticket holders and a lot of unsold seats.  They need the Zach Wilson Hypefest this summer to make everyone happy and sell more season tickets.  Zach must be suited up and playing Saturday when fans are invited to Florham Park.  

SAR I

If this scenario is true then Woody should have put his foot down immediately and instructed JD to get Zach in camp. I believe that Woody is behind this as this has happened constantly way before JD’s hiring as GM      IMO Not JD’s fault 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're always free to find another one, you know.

Nah I’m good.  I’ll stick to calling out this joke of a circus tent franchise for what it is instead of brown nosing Woody Johnson’s starfish.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Holy moly we dont have a competent QB going into one of our most important camps in years. 

Its a minuscule issue. Sign him with the same terms the rest of his QB peers were given. I don't understand why the FO would let this bleed over so much at such a crucial time. We have money and will have money in the future.

7 minutes ago, CSNY said:

If this scenario is true then Woody should have put his foot down immediately and instructed JD to get Zach in camp. I believe that Woody is behind this as this has happened constantly way before JD’s hiring as GM      IMO Not JD’s fault 

I don't think we can have it both ways.

I don't think we can say out of the left side of our mouths "Look at JD's draft!  Great job by Woody giving him a title, the head coach as a direct report, and complete autonomy over football decisions!" and then say out of the right side of our mouths "JD is being forced by Woody to cut corners and get offsets and isn't involved in the most important contract in his career!"

Unless you believe the promotion of Douglas and the reporting structure of Saleh are all lies, this Wilson contract fiasco is 100% on Joe Douglas.  He is the Football Man of Florham Park.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Nah I’m good.  I’ll stick to calling out this joke of a circus tent franchise for what it is instead of brown nosing Woody Johnson’s starfish.

It's hilarious watching Fans twist themselves into pretzels in order to not get mad at their dreamboat great hope players.

There is no universe where demanding to be paid by our team for not playing for our team is a reasonable ask.

Just ask MLB, where similarly guaranteed contracts are a noose around the necks of many a MLB Club.

The NFL is the better Pro League than MLB for many of these financial reasons.  The Cap.  Non-Guaranteed Contracts.  Etc.