Zach represented by Bosa's team and JD won't budge..

38 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

As funny as that is, I firmly believe this policy comes from higher above (Johnsons, Hyme Elhai, Elaine Chen)

And I will respectfully disagree.

The entire premise of cleaning house and setting things up with Joe Douglas as the head of all things football was to put decisions like these completely in his hands.  No more bureaucracy.  No more HC reporting directly to the owners.  No more decision by committee.

This is the biggest contract negotiation of Joe Douglas' career and he's The Football Man of Florham Park.

This fiasco is on him.  Period.

SAR I

Woody Johnson is the problem, and only Woody Johnson can be the answer.

Woody Johnson needs to make this happen, and get Wilson into camp.

I wish Woody Johnson would just sell the team.  After the Wilpons with the Mets, Woody Johnson is the worst owner.  

36 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Disagree with your premise as I stated these holdouts ( Darnold , Quinnen ) have happened before JD got here. Didn’t happen with Becton or Vera Tucker as I am of the opinion that they agreed to the language in contract that was acceptable to Woody therefore no holdout. JD I believe has autonomy of personnel decisions of  who to hire , and drafting of players. Big ticket Free agent acquisitions still would require Woodys blessing with amount of money JD wants to spend on said free agent and I truly believe that Woody wants any offset language acceptable to him. And I say this as not being a Woody Johnson hater but as someone ( and as all of us Jet fans have seen ) the same  things play out on a consistent basis prior to JD’s tenure I truly hope this is the case cause if this is JD’s doing it’s not good as Saleh and JD have stated the kids need all the reps they can get 

While this has happened before, this is Joe Douglas' football operation to manage and if he wanted to challenge it or outright veto it, he could.  The Johnson's wouldn't say no.

Maybe Douglas is trying to set a precedent.  Maybe Douglas is trying to impress his bosses.  But he is The Football Man of Florham Park and the buck stops with him.  If you don't believe that, then the entire "Saleh reports to Douglas woo hoo end of dysfunction baby!" is a sham.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The entire premise of cleaning house and setting things up with Joe Douglas as the head of all things football was to put decisions like these completely in his hands.  No more bureaucracy.  No more HC reporting directly to the owners.  No more decision by committee.

This is the biggest contract negotiation of Joe Douglas' career and he's The Football Man of Florham Park.

SAR I

You have no idea where this is coming from.

Youre just butt hurt that JD is The Football Man of Florham Park. and he fired Gase who you told everyone was The Football Man of Florham Park.

16 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

When JD does cave, Wilson's team will throw him some kind of token bone to save face -- ya know make it look like JD got something out of the negotiation.  But anyone who have ever negotiated knows that JD has a weak hand. If Wilson's team caves, they should be fired.

Thank you!

This was the wrong Hill to die on IMO!

And all to save monies that Wilson will more than make-up in National enthusiasm brought to the New York Jets, via One Zach Wilson!

You mean the Jets can't see this.... :( 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:03 AM, Warfish said:

JMO, next collective bargaining contract needs to eliminate "offset language" as a contract option for drafted rookies.

The team you play for should be the team who pays you.

Like I said, JMO.

So, should that mean then that once you are cut, the money stops?  Just curious.

Again, offset language is there, IMO, so an owner doesn't have to pay someone who no longer works for them.  

I really do not understand why there seems to be some posters on here that can't grasp that.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

trash take.

Joe has never given out a contract it says, that doesn't have offset language - in this case surrounding being disciplined by the NFL... Wilson's agent, is the one who knows and yet is still asking the GM to fold... his client is from BYU and he's fighting for "in case he acts like a criminal" language.

Someone in Wilson's camp has to tell his agent to sign the deal and STFU

Maybe. But it is the truth. I will be fair and put it on the jets and not Joe D specifically. I do believe he is part of it though.

This situation and this team is actually a bit unique to the rest of the league. You already went through this exact situation 3 years ago with the # 3 pick. Your contract structure has not changed but you did not see this coming? If you did (I certainly hope so) why are we still doing this on the day of camp. This should have been resolved last week with either the Jets conceding on the critical points (might happen) or an ultimatum given to Zach's agent/team.

The fact that it is happening and not resolved this late is simply on the Jets.

However this ends up and 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, freestater said:

The only way I see this making sense from a Jets perspective is; by holding up the signing bonus, they have a chip to bargain with for the offset language. Wilson camp gives up the offset language to get the signing bonus pronto.

That's what they did with Sam.  I'm sure Zach's team also noticed the ploy

20 minutes ago, Alka said:

Woody Johnson is the problem, and only Woody Johnson can be the answer.

Woody Johnson needs to make this happen, and get Wilson into camp.

I wish Woody Johnson would just sell the team.  After the Wilpons with the Mets, Woody Johnson is the worst owner.  

james-dolan-kicks-knicks-fan-out-msgjpg.thumb.jpg.f9240fa6b59223c415bef9d656cb847f.jpg

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

While this has happened before, this is Joe Douglas' football operation to manage and if he wanted to challenge it or outright veto it, he could.  The Johnson's wouldn't say no.

Maybe Douglas is trying to set a precedent.  Maybe Douglas is trying to impress his bosses.  But he is The Football Man of Florham Park and the buck stops with him.  If you don't believe that, then the entire "Saleh reports to Douglas woo hoo end of dysfunction baby!" is a sham.

SAR I

he cannot challenge it, Woody runs the team and its his money.  If Zach sucks, Douglas is gone but Woody still owns the team.

20 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

So, should that mean then that once you are cut, the money stops?  Just curious.

Again, offset language is there, IMO, so an owner doesn't have to pay someone who no longer works for them.  

I really do not understand why there seems to be some posters on here that can grasp that.

I think you still have to pay them less the amount payed by the other team and this offset money returns to your salary cap for the particular year.

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

And I'll respectfully disagree.

While I believe Joe now has autonomy on football decisions (which may include contract length and dollar values), I believe (just my opinion) that the offset policy and the need to spread the signing bonus comes from the people who watch the checkbook and write the checks....and that's not JD. I'm sure the people I mentioned have right of refusal on anything financial that JD discusses or proposes.

We can agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

I'll take the other side of the argument here. If you're a GM who wants to be seen as a firm negotiator who pays players what they are worth not what they can take from the team then you have to be a firm negotiator every time. Today's negotiation sets the tone for tomorrow's negotiation. JD's willingness to negotiate aggressively with Wilson without a safety net is setting a tone with all the agents for all future negotiations. Practically, everybody knows there is very little risk that Wilson sits a year or goes back to college and there is very little risk that the Jets won't find a deal that works so this is very likely about the show and not the substance. We can't have another GM that gets played (Cousins) and hands out generous contracts players haven't earned.

As a fan it's frustrating not to have Wilson in camp but over the long term this is frustratingly good for the team.

The other-other side of this argument is then you really shouldn't be worried about precedent.  Your stance can always be I'm paying you what you're worth.  So each negotiation stands on its own.  

5 minutes ago, jbt said:

he cannot challenge it, Woody runs the team and its his money.  If Zach sucks, Douglas is gone but Woody still owns the team.

Again, you can't have it both ways.

You can't say that Joe Douglas has full autonomy that no other GM has ever had *and* say that Woody Johnson tells him what to do.

The Jets have either had a paradigm culture change or they haven't.

SAR I

24 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

As crazy as that sounds why not call the Texans and trade him for DeShaun Watson.

I would rather the Jets never win a football game ever again than EVER root for a serial rapist piece of sh*t like DeShaun Watson.

44 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The Jets position is preposterous IMO.....

They could get a line of credit to pay him the upfront fees and if the offset language is the key it is a non-risk for the team! 

Every analysis I have seen indicates that the offset language has only minorly impacted one player over the last decade! So what we are talking about here. :( 

In my previous life when I worked on leverage aircraft transactions with major US Banks , Japanese Co Lenders would demand Nuclear War insurance against US companies and they lost Billions in deals because of silliness like this.

So no, this isn't smart IMO even if Zack and his team cave....

It will give them leverage when were drafting Zach at No. 1 next year.  

• Haha 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

I would rather the Jets never win a football game ever again than EVER root for a serial rapist piece of sh*t like DeShaun Watson.

Was he ever charged or convicted of being a rapist I didnt follow along way too much drama for my football liking. 

I just threw that out there for conversation purposes and to see reactions.

We as fans cant control whats goes on or what happens. 

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You have no idea where this is coming from.

Youre just butt hurt that JD is The Football Man of Florham Park. and he fired Gase who you told everyone was The Football Man of Florham Park.

He’s right in that the fiasco is on Douglas.  He’s wrong if he honestly believes that ownership isn’t involved whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You can't say that Joe Douglas has full autonomy that no other GM has ever had *and* say that Woody Johnson tells him what to do.

SAR I

Narrator

”There was no culture change”

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Was he ever charged or convicted of being a rapist I didnt follow along way too much drama for my football liking. 

I just threw that out there for conversation purposes and to see reactions.

We as fans cant control whats goes on or what happens. 

There’s enough evidence for me to hold a position on it.  I just watched the justice system in this country release Bill Cosby on a technicality.

If the Jets were to trade for DeShaun, under any circumstance, I’m done with them.  Period.

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

They have had a paradigm shift.   Douglas drafted a leader who's not going to get bullied by Woody's money.   Joe D is playing 3D chess.  

• Haha 2

As a front office, you have to pick your battles. The cost/benefit analysis here just doesn’t make sense. Playing hardball with Crowder and Maye...fine. Offset language on a Rookie QB contract...NO.

As bad as Sam was, even he played through his contract. 

• Post of the Week 1

This is 100% Joe D and he is handling this perfectly.  Hes not getting pushed around by a kid whos never taken an nfl snap.

When Zach and his agent decide to cave, and they will, Zach will be here.  Till then, we wait.

Thank you Joe D for instilling a backbone into this organization.  This will pay off huge down the road in all negotiations.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

As a front office, you have to pick your battles. The cost/benefit analysis here just doesn’t make sense. Playing hardball with Crowder and Maye...fine. Offset language on a Rookie QB contract...NO.

As bad as Sam was, even he played through his contract. 

Hear, hear.  Let's light this candle.

SAR I

51 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

49 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You're right and wrong. 

I believe this is coming from ownership as the same thing happened with Sam under Mac regime. That said, if JD wanted to push back against ownership he can and most likely hasn't. Therefore he does shoulder part of the blame.

The kid is going to play football for us and he'll be in camp very soon so let's all chill. And let's also wait to see the stipulations in the contract before we crucify JD or praise him. Maybe he's actively working to break past precedent and convince ownership? Nobody knows so let's all calm down.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is 100% Joe D and he is handling this perfectly.  Hes not getting pushed around by a kid whos never taken an nfl snap.

When Zach and his agent decide to cave, and they will, Zach will be here.  Till then, we wait.

Thank you Joe D for instilling a backbone into this organization.  This will pay off huge down the road in all negotiations.

Joe Douglas was the GM of the worst Jets team since 1996 and the second worst team in Jets history.   He was hired by Adam Gase.

SAR I