Jump to content

Zach represented by Bosa's team and JD won't budge..


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Action Zachtion said:

Sigh.  Fourth first in five years.  I guess it's not a GM thing. 

It seems like most of the NFL teams want the off set in the contract, not just the Jets.

 

How offset language in NFL contracts works

Originally posted on Pro Football Rumors
By Zachary Links  |  Last updated 4/10/21

Ever since the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement, rookie contracts have been fairly regimented. Now, negotiations between teams and draft picks go pretty smoothly, with few – if any – unsigned rookies by the time training camp starts. 

These days, if there is haggling, it’s usually due to offset language. Offset language relates to what happens to a player’s salary if he’s cut during the first four years of his career, while he’s still playing on his rookie deal. For the top 15 to 20 picks in the draft, those four-year salaries are fully guaranteed, even if a player is waived at some point during those four seasons. For example, if a player has $4 million in guaranteed money remaining on his contract and is cut, he’ll still be owed that $4 million.

However, if a team has written offset language into the contract, that club can save some money if and when the player signs with a new team. For example, if that player who had $4 million in guaranteed money left on his contract signs with a new club on a $1 million deal, his old team would only be on the hook for $3 million, with the new team making up the difference. If there’s no offset language on that first deal, the old team would continue to be on the hook for the full $4 million, and the player would simply earn an additional $1 million from his new club.

In 2015, Marcus Mariota‘s camp went back and forth with the Titans until the two sides finally agreed to partial offset language in late July. In 2016, Joey Bosa’s holdout dominated headlines until the linebacker inked his deal on Aug. 29. In most cases, a lack of offsets for a player simply depends on which team drafted him — clubs such as the Rams and Jaguars traditionally haven’t pushed to include offsets in contracts for their top picks, even in an era when most other teams around the league do.

Last year, Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa and Panthers defensive lineman Derrick Brown were the first Round 1 picks to sign and they agreed to offset language. It’s impossible to gauge how this year’s top stars will approach those talks, but offsets rarely come into play for elite prospects – few top picks flame out badly enough to get cut inside of four years. And even in those rare instances, if a player has performed poorly enough to be cut in his first few years, he likely won’t land a big-money deal elsewhere, so offset language wouldn’t help his old club recover more than the league minimum.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When Zach forces his way to Seattle you’ll all be cheering Joe Douglas as a genius for getting draft picks.   SAR I

You’re a master in the art of bad posting, but this might be your opus.      

It's a problem of motivation Bob. I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's another thing, I have eight different bosses ri

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I was actually mocking (some) of our fan base and was being sarcastic by giving the kid the "Darrelle Revis" treatment for holding out so please spare me the lectures. 

I'm the one who had the back of Revis for wanting him to be paid accordingly (during his prime and before the ACL) and I was attacked by this fan base because of it and I could bump the thread if you really want me to).

(PS: Don't let me ever find a post of you crapping all over Revis and Jamal due to contact demands because if I do? They'll be very hypocritical of you).

For the record, I was also very strongly in defense of Revis getting anything and everything that he possibly could. If you decide to go back and search for your posts on the subject, you’ll find mine. That said, Jamal is an ass and there’s no similarity to Zach in either scenario. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I have no idea if it’s accurate, but if he’s in California to train with John beck that’s really disappointing 

he needs to be much closer to NJ

this is a weak and transparent ploy 

lousy start for his career 

 

 

 

 

49B66454-837A-4413-A72C-ED8C827EB78B.png

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

So because youre a QB and team leader he should take whatever the team is offering?  Did Lawrence and the other 1st rounders youre pointing to?  Its a business, his teammates dont care that hes taking care of business.  Happens all the time is the way to look at it, he'll be in to practice.  

Nothing worse than being a hypocritical type of hypocrite sports fan. 

So it's not ok for me to make a couple of posts showing disappointment over our #2 overall pick and unproven Rookie refusing to sign a guaranteed $35.2 million dollar contract? 

But it's ok for you to question me despite the fact that you made over 100 posts of Revis bashing (and I only quoted you on 10 of them) and HATED one of the greatest coverage CBs and our greatest Jets Defensive player of All-Time?!? Over a freaking contract holdout?!? That was NOT a team distraction and "just business"?!?!?

Get off your high horse my dude and stop nitpicking my every thought here on JN and first look in the mirror at yourself before doing so. 

Deal? Let's enjoy the 2021-2022 season without calling one another out 24/7 because you harping all over me for being disappointed in Wilson potentially missing the start of training camp is nothing compared to the anger and hatred you gave REVIS over HIS holdout! 

You were an absolute JET NUT over the contract holdout of Revis so please give me a break for once my Jets brother. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Crimer said:

There is no way that photo was taken today. It’s been cloudy all day in Huntington Beach. 

Hmmmm….is Zach pulling a fast one on us?

 

image.thumb.png.c401fafd0a5eda07a1e5626d71a0ff0a.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, slats said:

For the record, I was also very strongly in defense of Revis getting anything and everything that he possibly could. If you decide to go back and search for your posts on the subject, you’ll find mine. That said, Jamal is an ass and there’s no similarity to Zach in either scenario. 

The difference is Revis was a future lock for the HOF during his holdouts and at least Jamal on the FOOTBALL FIELD was an All Pro and Pro Bowler who later gave us both Alijah Vera-Tucker and a soon to be 2022 A+ prospect (hopefully).

Zach Wilson? He's unproven. A rookie. And in CALIFORNIA right now currently REFUSING to sign a guaranteed $35.2 million dollar contract. 

To hate Revis and Adams but give this rookie kid a FREE PASS is extremely hypocritical man.

 

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Crimer said:

There is no way that photo was taken today. It’s been cloudy all day in Huntington Beach. 

Cloudy with a chance of hold out 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Larz said:

So I have no idea if it’s accurate, but if he’s in California to train with John beck that’s really disappointing 

he needs to be much closer to NJ

this is a weak and transparent ploy 

lousy start for his career 

 

 

 

 

49B66454-837A-4413-A72C-ED8C827EB78B.png

It's his job.  He's going to listen to his agents and sign when they say it's a good deal. 

It's good news he is working with a coach and he already has the playbook, but the fact he's on the wrong coast doesn't sound like the deal is close.

---

@flgreen that's a good find. I guess it's a bad setup to start a negotiation. Both sides are entrenched.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Johnsons saddling a new HC with zero head coaching experience with a rookie QB hold out and leave him with James Morgan. Enjoy answering questions tomorrow Bob. Yeah Sounds about Jets.

  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Crimer said:

There is no way that photo was taken today. It’s been cloudy all day in Huntington Beach. 

And it rained last night, though I'm not sure exactly what was coming down. At this point out here it could rain poop and it wouldn't surprise me.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

@Jet Nut

Busted.

Please don't become hypocritical with me when I was using Zach Wilson's holdout as a way of teasing fans such as yourself (to come at me out of the woodworks because I play chess and not checkers). 

Before jumping down my throat would you care to explain yourself to me (and all of us) for these posts (below) regarding one of the greatest coverage CBs of All-Time over his holding out? 

You were PISSED!

You were absolutely furious about Revis holding out but yet you feel the need to judge me over an unproven Rookie holding out of a guaranteed $35.2 million dollar contract?

1.) "Because he broke or threatened to break every contract he signed after holding out to get those contracts"?

2.) I don't care why, he held out, that's what I said. He held out of his first deal with two years left on it. He wanted 6 years, the Jets wanted to give him 5 and he held out after 4. Doesn't make a difference how well he played, if he didn't play up to his rookie deal would he have given money back? He was set to opt out of his last deal, that's why he was traded. Everyone knows it, that's why he wanted it in the deal.You're making excuses for him. He was a great player for the Jets but Revis is what he is.

3.) Yes you are, you're saying there were reasons he held out of a 6 year deal in year 4. I love the way the guy played for us. But he's a money hungry, pay me first player who has never felt compelled to honor his deal.

4.) You keep explaining why he held out to tell me he didn't hold out or to justify it. My statements are true, he held out I don't know why you keep making excuses, I could care less why he held out, he held out twice and was going to opt out a third time.

5.) Exactly, Revis collected 4'years salary off of his initial deal. Even if his yearly salary at that point was below what he could get and did get, did he give back any of his initial bonus? It was a bonus that was supposed to be part of a 6 year deal, not a 4 year deal. Have to calculate that money into his deal.

6.) They do it all the time. Sign a 6 year deal for say 60 mil with bonus money, stagger the payments, big bucks within the first 4 years and as soon as they hit a season where they aren't being paid huge money they cry that they're the 32nd highest paid player at a position. Even if the 60 mil deal put them at the top of the heap.

7.) What is you're friggen point? We would have been watching the same two corners against the raiders.A ngry, no. Are you so in love with Revis that you think because you love him his holdout isn't really a holdout? That was the point, apparently you can't get past that. You continue to argue that his holdout was justified. Which doesn't make my comment that he held out wrong. Just as it doesn't make your silly response that I rewrote history and more right, it's not. And one more time, read it slow, it's not what you're paid in a particular year, it's the entire contract. If you sign a deal that pays you well and they front load the deal, to your benefit, and then at the end of the deal your salary isn't in the top of the league, you're not underpaid. This can't be that hard.

8.) Who cares if he was overpaid or underpaid? I said he held out, who give a damn why. He held out. Who cares that you think it was fine, you miss your guy, we get it. Are you serious, no one could struggle this much for something this easy to understand.

9.) Are you serious? You're so he'll bent on arguing that you're not using your head. I tell you that my point was that he held out twice and your answer is that my point is the only one that counts? Considering I brought up that he held out, yes, it's the one at counts. What are you talking about? On get it, you made excuses why he held out. It was Tannys fault, and you're blindly going to tell us that he wasn't going to opt out of a deal he made sure had an pit out in it. Ok, good for you, everything Revis has been and is says he would NEVER have taken the opt out that he negotiated into his deal. I have a bridge to sell you.

10.) When he held out the Jets essentially gave him a 1 year deal knowing he would opt out in year 2. Tampa essentially gave him a 1 year deal by not guaranteeing him any $$ NE essentially gave him a 1 year deal by giving him 20 mil next year with a buy out.

And I'll stop there @ 10 different and separate posts. 

You think you can judge me for being just a little frustrated with an unproven Rookie QB drafted #2 overall who's holding out heading into training camp despite the fact you were an absolute JET NUT about Revis's holding out? 

Treat others how you'd like to be treated in return and PS I couldn't care less about Zach Wilson holding out I just wanted to give him the "Revis and Adams" treatment in order for fans such as yourself to take shots @ me this way I could fire shots back. 

image.thumb.png.c49ed939db3f5e8296b7767d3e1d37ca.png

You're the #1 poster who I was hoping would question me about being fake frustrated about Wilson's holding out as an unproven Rookie 🤑

Don't bother making Zach Wilson excuses either because "he held out and I don't care why he held out because he held out" (your words, not mine).

Busted?  I was absolutely furious when Revis held out?  LOL, who do you think youre talking to?  I wasnt furious but guess what, Zach isnt holding out while under contract.  Thats the difference between Revis, Adams and a rookie looking to sign his first deal.

And of course, Zach isnt holding out, learn, hes not a holdout until and if he misses time.  He hasnt

Between you and Biggs I dont know who's worse or has the worse takes here

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Action Zachtion said:

It's his job.  He's going to listen to his agents and sign when they say it's a good deal. 

It's good news he is working with a coach and he already has the playbook, but the fact he's on the wrong coast doesn't sound like the deal is close.

---

@flgreen that's a good find. I guess it's a bad setup to start a negotiation. Both sides are entrenched.  

If he posts from the wildwood boardwalk it puts the pressure on JD to get him in here 

 

posting from Cali is the wrong move. 
 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Nothing worse than being a hypocritical type of hypocrite sports fan. 

So it's not ok for me to make a couple of posts showing disappointment over our #2 overall pick and unproven Rookie refusing to sign a guaranteed $35.2 million dollar contract? 

But it's ok for you to question me despite the fact that you made over 100 posts of Revis bashing (and I only quoted you on 10 of them) and HATED one of the greatest coverage CBs and our greatest Jets Defensive player of All-Time?!? Over a freaking contract holdout?!? That was NOT a team distraction and "just business"?!?!?

Get off your high horse my dude and stop nitpicking my every thought here on JN and first look in the mirror at yourself before doing so. 

Deal? Let's enjoy the 2021-2022 season without calling one another out 24/7 because you harping all over me for being disappointed in Wilson potentially missing the start of training camp is nothing compared to the anger and hatred you gave REVIS over HIS holdout! 

You were an absolute JET NUT over the contract holdout of Revis so please give me a break for once my Jets brother. 

Lets see, thats two diatribes saying I was pissed at Revis, two.  10,000 words saying the same thing.  Just because you can and think Revis holding out while under contract is the same as Wilson not coming to terms yet.

I appreciate the fact that youre so butt hurt, so obsessed with what I have to say that you searched the board high and wide to bring up posts I made about a player who held out missing camp as opposed to a player who hasnt seen a contract or payday.   And more to the point, nothing I said translates to hate, being pissed or a hypocrite.  

I;m not nitpicking, you are.  Youre the hypocrite who defense Adams threatening the team, calling out players on his team, calling out the owner who signs his checks and the GM who holds his fate in his hands WHILE UNDER CONTRACT.   

Put me on ignore if you dont want to read my thoughts on the subject.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Larz said:

If he posts from the wildwood boardwalk it puts the pressure on JD to get him in here 

 

posting from Cali is the wrong move. 
 

 

He's got PR people.  They probably want this post that shows he's out in Cali to work with his QB coach before a fan posts a pic of him on a date on the beach. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Larz said:

If he posts from the wildwood boardwalk it puts the pressure on JD to get him in here 

 

posting from Cali is the wrong move. 
 

 

Oh yeah South Bay or ******* Wildwood, real tough call there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope JD hold to his guns and doesnt agree to any crazy crap. Zach representation is crazy not to let the kid sign now and get with his team. i like zach alot. remember after he was picked and how he address jetnation? that was awesome. I have very high hopes for the kid. but draft pick need to signa and not expect special treatment. I do not fault Joe D for a presumptive hold out that may or may not happen. Zachs representation is not doing him any favors...

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Oh yeah South Bay or ******* Wildwood, real tough call there.

The point being of he’s close to camp the fan’s will want him in camp and the pressure moves to JD.  
he’s not vacationing he’s posturing 

He doesn’t post much but we get daily updates on his cali trip 

 

lame lol

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Larz said:

The point being of he’s close to camp the fan’s will want him in camp and the pressure moves to JD.  
he’s not vacationing he’s posturing 

He doesn’t post much but we get daily updates on his cali trip 

 

lame lol

 

are you saying wildwood isnt a vacation

Link to post
Share on other sites

Zach's agents hold the cards a bit, since the jets have no alternative plan for a starting QB and have put all their eggs on Wilson starting. They need him there for every rep.   The agents know this.

 

Still, what a silly thing to argue over with the guy you made #2 pick on the draft and supposedly future of your franchise that you have all the confidence in.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Lets see, thats two diatribes saying I was pissed at Revis, two.  10,000 words saying the same thing.  Just because you can and think Revis holding out while under contract is the same as Wilson not coming to terms yet.

I appreciate the fact that youre so butt hurt, so obsessed with what I have to say that you searched the board high and wide to bring up posts I made about a player who held out missing camp as opposed to a player who hasnt seen a contract or payday.   And more to the point, nothing I said translates to hate, being pissed or a hypocrite.  

I;m not nitpicking, you are.  Youre the hypocrite who defense Adams threatening the team, calling out players on his team, calling out the owner who signs his checks and the GM who holds his fate in his hands WHILE UNDER CONTRACT.   

Put me on ignore if you dont want to read my thoughts on the subject.  

No bruh.

About Revis you clearly stated...

"he held out and it doesn't matter why he held out because he held out". 

And those were your words not mine. 

Well guess what? Once Zach Wilson doesn't report to training camp tomorrow? 

"He held out and it doesn't matter why he held out because he held out". 

And I can give two flying pigs how you try and "spin it" because I much rather have supported a future HOF All-Time great coverage CB who was demanding more $ than an unproven Rookie who's refusing to sign a GUARANTEED $35.2 million dollar contract!

And you want me to put you on ignore? When I rarely go out of my way to quote you however you seem to quote my every thought? 

Ok let's make an ignore deal. 

You never quote me again and I'll never quote you again and we'll both make JN a better community because let's be honest here @Jet Nut you don't really care for me and I don't really care for you (as a poster, not a person fyi).

Deal man? 

Can you go an entire training camp and 2021-2022 season without quoting "DWCs" every thought?

Because I'll gladly love to never have another Football interaction with you (ever again). 

deal or no deal?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Zach's agents hold the cards a bit, since the jets have no alternative plan for a starting QB and have put all their eggs on Wilson starting. They need him there for every rep.   The agents know this.

 

Still, what a silly thing to argue over with the guy you made #2 pick on the draft and supposedly future of your franchise that you have all the confidence in.

It goes both ways. 

Let me ask you a question @Dinamite 

Because I already know you're a hard working man...

A.) If I offered to give you a GUARANTEED $35.2 million dollar contract are you going to immediately sign?

B.) Or are you going to refuse the guaranteed $35,000,000 contract while flying to California over some horse crap language? 

If your answer is anything but A.) I won't believe you. 

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s just business. If I’m Wilson’s rep I tell him we don’t really know where JD stands on the offset issue until the last moment. Because up until then, its JD trying to get the best deal he can, but at zero hour then, and only then, will we know if JD will cave on this issue. Impatient negotiators are bad negotiators.

From JDs perspective, he’d better not cave because than agents will rightly think if they wait JD out, they’ll get a better offer. It’s better to cultivate the reputation of someone who makes their best offer after a little haggling and then doesn’t budge. JD is pretty new at this, the agents are just testing his limits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It’s just business. If I’m Wilson’s rep I tell him we don’t really know where JD stands on the offset issue until the last moment. Because up until then, its JD trying to get the best deal he can, but at zero hour then, and only then, will we know if JD will cave on this issue. Impatient negotiators are bad negotiators.

From JDs perspective, he’d better not cave because than agents will rightly think if they wait JD out, they’ll get a better offer. It’s better to cultivate the reputation of someone who makes their best offer after a little haggling and then doesn’t budge. JD is pretty new at this, the agents are just testing his limits.

Cave on what though? Why would Douglas care about offset language, it's dead money either way- if Wilson busts hard enough where the Jets have to release him before year 3...then he's getting fired anyway. This is the Johnson's/Elhai building in a safety net so they  don't have to pay Wilson if he sucks. Why draft a kid #2 if you have concerns he wont work out? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

The difference is Revis was a future lock for the HOF during his holdouts and at least Jamal on the FOOTBALL FIELD was an All Pro and Pro Bowler who later gave us both Alijah Vera-Tucker and a soon to be 2022 A+ prospect (hopefully).

Zach Wilson? He's unproven. A rookie. And in CALIFORNIA right now currently REFUSING to sign a guaranteed $35.2 million dollar contract. 

To hate Revis and Adams but give this rookie kid a FREE PASS is extremely hypocritical man.

 

Zach has a clean slate here, at least with me. Just like Revis did as a rookie when the Johnsons were trying to shove some bull**** contract his way way back when. Jamal Adams, on the other hand, shot his way out of town and burned every bridge behind him on the way out. **** that overrated ****. I hope Seattle lets him play out the fifth year option this year, and slaps him with the franchise tag next year. That’s what they’d do if they decided not to throw good money after a bad decision. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Oh yeah South Bay or ******* Wildwood, real tough call there.

The worst new we could get? 

Zach Wilson loving the bar scene in Morristown NJ… film at 11.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Cave on what though? Why would Douglas care about offset language- if Wilson busts hard enough where the Jets have to release him before year 3...then he's getting fired anyway. This is the Johnson's/Elhai building in a safety net so they  don't have to pay Wilson if he sucks. Why draft a kid #2 if you have concerns he wont work out? 

1.) I’m not sure if he’s canned if Wilson busts as long as everything else looks pretty good and… 

 2.) Even if it’s the Johnson’s pushing the offset money/bonus payment crap, @Sonny Werblin has a point. It’s a negotiating stance from management, JD is just delivering that news. Until it lasts more than a couple days, I’m not too concerned. If it does last longer than that, I’m sure we’ll be getting leaks that help us all really take sides. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Cave on what though? Why would Douglas care about offset language, it's dead money either way- if Wilson busts hard enough where the Jets have to release him before year 3...then he's getting fired anyway. This is the Johnson's/Elhai building in a safety net so they  don't have to pay Wilson if he sucks. Why draft a kid #2 if you have concerns he wont work out? 

What does JD care? He works for a business. That means the job includes being responsible with the finances and not giving away money if that can be avoided. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Cave on what though? Why would Douglas care about offset language, it's dead money either way- if Wilson busts hard enough where the Jets have to release him before year 3...then he's getting fired anyway. This is the Johnson's/Elhai building in a safety net so they  don't have to pay Wilson if he sucks. Why draft a kid #2 if you have concerns he wont work out? 


This is the only way to look at it! You pick 2 and worry about year 4 and offset language or bonus payout timeframe for a QB!?! The negative implications that doing this so early in JD’s career can have an impact in future drafts.

Look at San Diego, not just the Eli situation but they always have extended holdouts over rookie contracts.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...