Jump to content

Jets Passing Game Coordinator Gregg Knapp in Critical Condition Following Biking Accident


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys - One of our favorite football team's coaches was run over by a ******* car today and it sounds like the outlook is pretty grim.  If you're making a post in this thread that needs to be deleted b

I pray there is no head injury and wish him a speedy recovery. 

Hot take -- texting and driving should be punished almost as seriously as DUI. 

Posted Images

6 hours ago, TeddEY said:

This sounds really awful.  Hope he beats the odds here and can return to a normal life sometime.

Anyone else live near 9W in NJ?  Packs and packs of cyclists on this road - far too many act like they're the only ones on the road.  As a driver, it's absolutely terrifying to me.  I try to be super cautious, but it seems like only a matter of time before something awful happens.

Lots of distracted drivers now. It’s scary to bike.  But also lots bikers I see don’t follow road signs and can hurt pedestrians. 
 

a friend of mine died in a bike/car accident earlier this year.  Just scary. 

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Warfish said:

This.

People generally do not pray for miracles for people they expect to have routine, full recoveries.

Best wishes to Coach and his family, but I'd agree this is looking quite bad at this point.

I read and hear people pray for miracles but it’s not always life and death. 
 

let’s now hope that is the case here 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Na but I have a great childhood friend who was involved in a motorcycle accident and she went into a coma for over 1 month and let's just say she's never been the same since waking up. 

"Although many people gradually recover from a coma, others enter a vegetative state or die. Some people who recover from a coma end up with major or minor disabilities. Complications can develop during a coma, including pressure sores, urinary tract infections, blood clots in the legs and other problems" 

IF you people think falling into a coma is "normal" you're greatly mistaken.

"A coma is a serious medical emergency. Health professionals will start by ensuring the immediate survival of the patient and securing their breathing and circulation to maximize the amount of oxygen that reaches the brain."

When in a coma you unfortunately lose a lot of oxygen to the brain 😢 and I know first hand because I seen what it did to my friend. 

You somehow miraculously managed to make it worse.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Prayers to Knapp and his family. 

I think there are reasonable ways bikes and cars can share the road IF certain steps are taken, but that doesn't mean every road is the place for a bike with cars. Obviously there are a lot of careless/ahole drivers and of course, there are ahole bike riders as well. 

I did a bit of road riding way back when and ditched for mountain biking based primarily on the fact I didn't want to contend with drivers.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Prayers to Knapp and his family. 

I think there are reasonable ways bikes and cars can share the road IF certain steps are taken, but that doesn't mean every road is the place for a bike with cars. Obviously there are a lot of careless/ahole drivers and of course, there are ahole bike riders as well. 

I did a bit of road riding way back when and ditched for mountain biking based primarily on the fact I didn't want to contend with drivers.

Whether the car driver or bicyclist is the a-hole is entirely dependent on which of the two I am riding/driving at the current moment.

When I lived in NYC, I used to bike and blade in Central Park.  Bikers, Bladers and Runners all shared the loop.  All basically hated the other two.  When I was biking I used to curse at bladers.  When I was blading I yelled at bikers.  I ALWAYS hated runners.  I never had the slightest problem with the cognitive dissonance of it all, either.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Whether the car driver or bicyclist is the a-hole is entirely dependent on which of the two I am riding/driving at the current moment.

When I lived in NYC, I used to bike and blade in Central Park.  Bikers, Bladers and Runners all shared the loop.  All basically hated the other two.  When I was biking I used to curse at bladers.  When I was blading I yelled at bikers.  I ALWAYS hated runners.  I never had the slightest problem with the cognitive dissonance of it all, either.

I've biked there a few times, but it wasn't my regular since I lived in Queens. 

My brother lived on the UES and was a more regular user of the park and the loop.

He said the loop was actually safer when it allowed cars, as cars drove it, bikes stayed to one side and it was ok. 

When they closed it to cars, it became overrun with thoughtless joggers and moms with strollers. Also, people would take chances crossing "against traffic" with bikes they'd never do with cars, or with greater frequency. 

Bikes are almost always the loser in the car vs bike battle so I just went with the MTB trails that were built in Northern Queens - the ones we used to ride anyway before the city parks department made them better, or get the bike into a car and head up to Westchester, Ringwood, Stillwell out by route 123 on Long Island, etc. 

I live in Northern Va now and there is NO WAY I'd ride in the street here, since ever driver is a maniacal suburban ahole looking to get into his garage ASAP. Plus, nearly everyone is from somewhere else, so it's an amalgamation of all the worst driving styles of the entire country.

 

Still, such a tragedy for Knapp and his family, since it was totally avoidable if the person driving was paying attention - or at least that's what it seems like. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

I've biked there a few times, but it wasn't my regular since I lived in Queens. 

My brother lived on the UES and was a more regular user of the park and the loop.

He said the loop was actually safer when it allowed cars, as cars drove it, bikes stayed to one side and it was ok. 

When they closed it to cars, it became overrun with thoughtless joggers and moms with strollers. Also, people would take chances crossing "against traffic" with bikes they'd never do with cars, or with greater frequency. 

Bikes are almost always the loser in the car vs bike battle so I just went with the MTB trails that were built in Northern Queens - the ones we used to ride anyway before the city parks department made them better, or get the bike into a car and head up to Westchester, Ringwood, Stillwell out by route 123 on Long Island, etc. 

I live in Northern Va now and there is NO WAY I'd ride in the street here, since ever driver is a maniacal suburban ahole looking to get into his garage ASAP. Plus, nearly everyone is from somewhere else, so it's an amalgamation of all the worst driving styles of the entire country.

 

Still, such a tragedy for Knapp and his family, since it was totally avoidable if the person driving was paying attention - or at least that's what it seems like. 

Much the same here in west Knoxville.  There are bike lanes in some major roads out here, but I won't bike on them.  Way too scary.  I bike and jog in our subdivision with 25 mph marked all throughout (no sidewalks), but even though there are frequently people walking with dogs and baby carriages, too, still many speed and are on their cell phones. There are east and west entrances/exits to the neighborhood, and some cut through here as a shortcut between a couple of significant secondary roads that meet at an intersection.

There's also an extensive paved greenway out here to use, but it is often loaded with people walking and jogging distracted, some with headphones on or dogs on a leash.  Biker friends here tell me to shout "coming through" or something like that to let them know your are approaching and so they can move aside, but often you're not heard or ignored. Oh yeah, and many of the walkers are....you guessed it...staring down at their cell phones and not exactly walking in a straight line!

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2021 at 12:57 PM, jetstream23 said:

That's not true.  People do recover from comas.  But yeah, he's got a very tough road ahead and needs prayers to get through this.  It's horrible. 

ya could be induced to allow swelling to go down before surgery,,doesnt always mean activity has stopped

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

ya could be induced to allow swelling to go down before surgery,,doesnt always mean activity has stopped

I hope you're right man but the report I had read simply said he's in a coma and nothing about being in a medically induced coma because I would've remembered those words If so nonetheless I just want this man to wake up already because every hour that goes by (without an update) I get more worried. 

I couldn't care less if he never coaches another game I just want him to survive for his family and recover to the point of being the person he once was before the accident.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I hope you're right man but the report I had read simply said he's in a coma and nothing about being in a medically induced coma because I would've remembered those words If so nonetheless I just want this man to wake up already because every hour that goes by (without an update) I get more worried. 

I couldn't care less if he never coaches another game I just want him to survive for his family and recover to the point of being the person he once was before the accident.

I'm the one who said he was in a coma because that's what I was told.  I'm not sure if it's in any reports or not, and I don't know if it was induced or not.  I haven't gotten any updates since yesterday morning from our mutual friend.  I just know that I'm wishing the best for him.  It doesn't sound good.  The less I hear the less optimistic I am.  Can only pray and hope for the best.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Pry should just delete that.  It's incredibly poor taste. 

Yeah man I'm looking everywhere online and I'm reading nothing about him being pulled off life support. 

And imo it's much too soon to pull anyone off of life support so soon after an accident it hasn't even been a full 10 days yet no way his family quits on him so soon without giving him a chance to fight!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Yup he's probably an evil rotten troll I just checked his Twitter and he just only joined today (7-21-2021). 

He’s been tweeting for the last 5 days on other topics, well before the incident…

I’m not saying that it’s true…but it would be absolutely out of left field and evil for someone to just make that up.  Obviously  I hope to everything that it is just a troll and Knapp makes a full recovery…but I just can’t imagine someone doing that out of nowhere like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He’s been tweeting for the last 5 days on other topics, well before the incident…

I’m not saying that it’s true…but it would be absolutely out of left field and evil for someone to just make that up.  Obviously  I hope to everything that it is just a troll and Knapp makes a full recovery…but I just can’t imagine someone doing that out of nowhere like this.

Ok so he joined July of this year (I read it wrong) but I can't imagine people becoming serial killers and eating their bodies or how child pedophiles can hurt innocent children and/or how kids can commit mass shootings etc there is more evil in this world than we like to imagine (because we're the good guys who put faith into humanity).

But I don't believe this new Twitter user one bit man. He says his friend is his mom's best friend. But yet he wants to be the FIRST ONE to run to Twitter and release and disclose some super personal information about being pulled from life support? Nah. Man. That makes zero sense. 

Call me a critic but I don't trust people online I didn't even believe you had a personal source (but now I do because your source was pretty damn accurate).

No way this guy shares information from a friend who's Knapp's best friend and shares it over Twitter before the man's own family does. No way bro. 

The man is 60 years old (58) and is his mom even still alive? I'm trying to find out online but have been unsuccessful in finding out...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Ok so he joined July of this year (I read it wrong) but I can't imagine people becoming serial killers and eating their bodies or how child pedophiles can hurt innocent children and/or how kids can commit mass shootings etc there is more evil in this world than we like to imagine (because we're the good guys who put faith into humanity).

But I don't believe this new Twitter user one bit man. He says his friend is his mom's best friend. But yet he wants to be the FIRST ONE to run to Twitter and release and disclose some super personal information about being pulled from life support? Nah. Man. That makes zero sense. 

Call me a critic but I don't trust people online I didn't even believe you had a personal source (but now I do because your source was pretty damn accurate).

No way this guy shares information from a friend who's Knapp's best friend and shares it over Twitter before the man's own family does. No way bro. 

I get the skepticism, don’t get me wrong.  Maybe I do just have too much faith in the human race to not be disgustingly evil when it comes to trolling about things like this…naive as that may be…but, like I said, I hope, in this instance, this is just an a**hat looking for Twitter interactions and Coach Knapp makes it out of this alive and well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I get the skepticism, don’t get me wrong.  Maybe I do just have too much faith in the human race to not be disgustingly evil when it comes to trolling about things like this…naive as that may be…but, like I said, I hope, in this instance, this is just an a**hat looking for Twitter interactions and Coach Knapp makes it out of this alive and well. 

I can't even find out online if his mom is still alive? I hope she is because nothing in life is more precious than our moms but if she's not that would prove this guy is full of crap. 

I just don't believe him maybe because I don't want to but if my friend was a best friend of a mother who was about to pull her son off of life support the last thing I would do is run to social media to let the world know before it happens. I couldn't picture myself doing this not in a million years man.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Ok so he joined July of this year (I read it wrong) but I can't imagine people becoming serial killers and eating their bodies or how child pedophiles can hurt innocent children and/or how kids can commit mass shootings etc there is more evil in this world than we like to imagine (because we're the good guys who put faith into humanity).

But I don't believe this new Twitter user one bit man. He says his friend is his mom's best friend. But yet he wants to be the FIRST ONE to run to Twitter and release and disclose some super personal information about being pulled from life support? Nah. Man. That makes zero sense. 

Call me a critic but I don't trust people online I didn't even believe you had a personal source (but now I do because your source was pretty damn accurate).

No way this guy shares information from a friend who's Knapp's best friend and shares it over Twitter before the man's own family does. No way bro. 

The man is 60 years old (58) and is his mom even still alive? I'm trying to find out online but have been unsuccessful in finding out...

So the world is evil enough for serial killers to exist but not for gossipers?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a sad situation.  I hope he somehow pulls through.

 

That being said, this is not a reason to stop cycling on roads.  Life is dangerous.  You are less likely to get hit while cycling than while in driving a car.  Thats not a reason to stop driving.  
 

If anything, the stories do remind me of how glad I am to not be living in an urban area.  I wouldn’t want to live somewhere that I didn’t feel comfortable walking or biking.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Wtf.

The survival rate of surviving a car accident is over 90% better than surviving a motorcycle accident. 

Except he was on a bicycle no? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We should be better than this, and posting random tweets from random people claiming knowledge, on a topic like this, shouldn't be a thing we do folks.

Respected, legit, news outlets, fine, post news if it is provided.

But unverifiable tweets should really not be posted (or allowed by the Mods) on something like this.  JMO.  

Obviously not as serious, but the Foles thread falls under this too. I dont think there's a question that there are innumerable trolls out in the world who thrive off of this kind of misery, and the last thing they deserve is amplification. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...