Jets hire new manager of football analytics.

I've always been interested in football analytics specific to being employed by a particular team. What's the day-to-day, what's the big picture, what are the various projects? Also, how does one apply for these roles with no football experience but years of quant analysis working for banks and hedge funds?

I've searched for these types of job descriptions online randomly in the past but (obviously) can't find anything on it. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I've always been interested in football analytics specific to being employed by a particular team. What's the day-to-day, what's the big picture, what are the various projects? Also, how does one apply for these roles with no football experience but years of quant analysis working for banks and hedge funds?

I've searched for these types of job descriptions online randomly in the past but (obviously) can't find anything on it. 

I’m sure if you started freelancing on the side and posted on in the web somewhere  and promoted it people would notice if it’s compelling.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’m sure if you started freelancing on the side and posted on in the web somewhere  and promoted it people would notice if it’s compelling.

Yeaaaaa but with a full time job and 2 kids under 2, I’m not gonna spend unpaid time to audition for something that I don’t even know if I’d want in the off chance that a team did reach out with interest. 

Really I’m just curious to see what a job script looks like for these teams, what the prereqs are, and what the corresponding remuneration is.

• Upvote 2

In before people round here start taking about Wilson's "pass spin rate" as being elite, and Lawson's "time to break stance" speed being the best in the NFL.....

Better yet, in before a 45% completion % is considered elite as long as the QB gets X passing yards, because the analytics say  (i.e. an NFL equivalent to a .215 batting average being fine if you hit a few HR's these days).

Fun times to come!

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Might try this approach.  Worked for ex-Jet Joe Anderson.......for awhile.  :) 

Joe-Anderson-texans-11-06-15.png

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Dude you aren’t going to get the job if you can’t even figure out google :)

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/sports-analytics-jobs

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Dude you aren’t going to get the job if you can’t even figure out google :)

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/sports-analytics-jobs

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yeaaaaa but with a full time job and 2 kids under 2, I’m not gonna spend unpaid time to audition for something that I don’t even know if I’d want in the off chance that a team did reach out with interest

Really I’m just curious to see what a job script looks like for these teams, what the prereqs are, and what the corresponding remuneration is.

32 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Just busting your chops lol.  I mean you could keep checking here https://www.teamworkonline.com/football-jobs/footballjobs/nfl-football-jobs , but it seems like a job where there are only 32 teams and not that many jobs available.  If a team expands jobs in the dept they probably try to poach someone junior (like in moneyball) or the guy in charge knows a ton of people already who work for other teams or colleges or who would love to work with him in the NFL who are in finance like you. He could even hire analysts from MLB or the NBA. These jobs might rarely get posted so thats why you dont see. Maybe best bet is to send a resume addressed to the GM and explain your background and desire to make a move.   As far as salary I doubt its anything great to begin with until you start getting bigger roles. Senior guys probably make a good living though.

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yeaaaaa but with a full time job and 2 kids under 2, I’m not gonna spend unpaid time to audition for something that I don’t even know if I’d want in the off chance that a team did reach out with interest. 

This reminds me of Seinfeld and George looking for a job. "I like football. Maybe I can be head of the analytics department?" 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Just busting your chops lol.  I mean you could keep checking here https://www.teamworkonline.com/football-jobs/footballjobs/nfl-football-jobs , but it seems like a job where there are only 32 teams and not that many jobs available.  If a team expands jobs in the dept they probably try to poach someone junior (like in moneyball) or the guy in charge knows a ton of people already who work for other teams or colleges or who would love to work with him in the NFL who are in finance like you. He could even hire analysts from MLB or the NBA. These jobs might rarely get posted so thats why you dont see. Maybe best bet is to send a resume addressed to the GM and explain your background and desire to make a move.   As far as salary I doubt its anything great to begin with until you start getting bigger roles. Senior guys probably make a good living though.

Lol I know. As I’ve said a few times - I’m not interested in a career switch - I’m good at what I do and am paid well to do it. I’m honestly just curious if I’d qualify.

2 hours ago, fings1 said:

This reminds me of Seinfeld and George looking for a job. "I like football. Maybe I can be head of the analytics department?" 

I CAN BE THE HEAD OF THE ANALYTICS DEPT!!!

Seriously though, I can even reverse engineer a completion percentage to isolate completions and attempts!

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

In before people round here start taking about Wilson's "pass spin rate" as being elite, and Lawson's "time to break stance" speed being the best in the NFL.....

Better yet, in before a 45% completion % is considered elite as long as the QB gets X passing yards, because the analytics say  (i.e. an NFL equivalent to a .215 batting average being fine if you hit a few HR's these days).

Fun times to come!

The alternative is picking Ezekiel Elliot, Todd Gurley, Leonard Fournette, and Saquon Barkley with 1st round picks.

I’ll roll with the “computer folks” (as Dave Gettleman calls them) over that alternative. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Fun times to come!

When did anyone excuse a 45% comp rate because of yardage?

Some analytics are pretty safe predictions of how a player will develop.  We had an analytics person for this years draft.  It’s the NFL in 2020

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Never, as yet.  Hence the "...in before" part of the comment.

Used to be no one would excuse a .215 batting average either.  

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Some analytics are pretty safe predictions of how a player will develop.  We had an analytics person for this years draft.  It’s the NFL in 2020

It's all sports in 2021, and has been some of them for many years.

I think analytics, and some of what that has driven, has made Baseball a materially less fun sport to watch as a fan.

I hope the NFL does not go that route the way Baseball has.

That's all.  I know every team has an analytics guy, in point of fact I saw this job opening when it was posted.  Gave it a thought of applying myself, lol.

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well, Joe Willy had a 50% comp, but threw for over 27,000 yards so theres that.  :) 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Never, as yet.  Hence the "...in before" part of the comment.

Used to be no one would excuse a .215 batting average either.  

No one is ever going to be ok with a 45% comp rate anymore than theyre ok with a .215 BA.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

think analytics, and some of what that has driven, has made Baseball a materially less fun sport to watch as a fan.

I hate the constant referencing to mindless analytics in baseball.  I could care less about launch angle or velocity of HRs.  I could care less if a HR goes out by 6inches for a GWHR or 100 feet over the fence, Alonzo's HRs dont count for more runs than McNeils HRs, theyre still one run to the offense