Jump to content

Jets hire new manager of football analytics.


Recommended Posts

I've always been interested in football analytics specific to being employed by a particular team. What's the day-to-day, what's the big picture, what are the various projects? Also, how does one apply for these roles with no football experience but years of quant analysis working for banks and hedge funds?

I've searched for these types of job descriptions online randomly in the past but (obviously) can't find anything on it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I've always been interested in football analytics specific to being employed by a particular team. What's the day-to-day, what's the big picture, what are the various projects? Also, how does one apply for these roles with no football experience but years of quant analysis working for banks and hedge funds?

I've searched for these types of job descriptions online randomly in the past but (obviously) can't find anything on it. 

I’m sure if you started freelancing on the side and posted on in the web somewhere  and promoted it people would notice if it’s compelling.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’m sure if you started freelancing on the side and posted on in the web somewhere  and promoted it people would notice if it’s compelling.

Yeaaaaa but with a full time job and 2 kids under 2, I’m not gonna spend unpaid time to audition for something that I don’t even know if I’d want in the off chance that a team did reach out with interest. 

Really I’m just curious to see what a job script looks like for these teams, what the prereqs are, and what the corresponding remuneration is.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

In before people round here start taking about Wilson's "pass spin rate" as being elite, and Lawson's "time to break stance" speed being the best in the NFL.....

Better yet, in before a 45% completion % is considered elite as long as the QB gets X passing yards, because the analytics say  (i.e. an NFL equivalent to a .215 batting average being fine if you hit a few HR's these days).

Fun times to come!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I've always been interested in football analytics specific to being employed by a particular team. What's the day-to-day, what's the big picture, what are the various projects? Also, how does one apply for these roles with no football experience but years of quant analysis working for banks and hedge funds?

I've searched for these types of job descriptions online randomly in the past but (obviously) can't find anything on it. 

Might try this approach.  Worked for ex-Jet Joe Anderson.......for awhile.  :) 

Joe-Anderson-texans-11-06-15.png

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I've always been interested in football analytics specific to being employed by a particular team. What's the day-to-day, what's the big picture, what are the various projects? Also, how does one apply for these roles with no football experience but years of quant analysis working for banks and hedge funds?

I've searched for these types of job descriptions online randomly in the past but (obviously) can't find anything on it. 

Dude you aren’t going to get the job if you can’t even figure out google :)

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/sports-analytics-jobs

 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Dude you aren’t going to get the job if you can’t even figure out google :)

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/sports-analytics-jobs

 

 

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I've always been interested in football analytics specific to being employed by a particular team. What's the day-to-day, what's the big picture, what are the various projects? Also, how does one apply for these roles with no football experience but years of quant analysis working for banks and hedge funds?

I've searched for these types of job descriptions online randomly in the past but (obviously) can't find anything on it. 

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yeaaaaa but with a full time job and 2 kids under 2, I’m not gonna spend unpaid time to audition for something that I don’t even know if I’d want in the off chance that a team did reach out with interest

Really I’m just curious to see what a job script looks like for these teams, what the prereqs are, and what the corresponding remuneration is.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

 

 

Just busting your chops lol.  I mean you could keep checking here https://www.teamworkonline.com/football-jobs/footballjobs/nfl-football-jobs , but it seems like a job where there are only 32 teams and not that many jobs available.  If a team expands jobs in the dept they probably try to poach someone junior (like in moneyball) or the guy in charge knows a ton of people already who work for other teams or colleges or who would love to work with him in the NFL who are in finance like you. He could even hire analysts from MLB or the NBA. These jobs might rarely get posted so thats why you dont see. Maybe best bet is to send a resume addressed to the GM and explain your background and desire to make a move.   As far as salary I doubt its anything great to begin with until you start getting bigger roles. Senior guys probably make a good living though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yeaaaaa but with a full time job and 2 kids under 2, I’m not gonna spend unpaid time to audition for something that I don’t even know if I’d want in the off chance that a team did reach out with interest. 

Really I’m just curious to see what a job script looks like for these teams, what the prereqs are, and what the corresponding remuneration is.

This reminds me of Seinfeld and George looking for a job. "I like football. Maybe I can be head of the analytics department?" 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Just busting your chops lol.  I mean you could keep checking here https://www.teamworkonline.com/football-jobs/footballjobs/nfl-football-jobs , but it seems like a job where there are only 32 teams and not that many jobs available.  If a team expands jobs in the dept they probably try to poach someone junior (like in moneyball) or the guy in charge knows a ton of people already who work for other teams or colleges or who would love to work with him in the NFL who are in finance like you. He could even hire analysts from MLB or the NBA. These jobs might rarely get posted so thats why you dont see. Maybe best bet is to send a resume addressed to the GM and explain your background and desire to make a move.   As far as salary I doubt its anything great to begin with until you start getting bigger roles. Senior guys probably make a good living though.

Lol I know. As I’ve said a few times - I’m not interested in a career switch - I’m good at what I do and am paid well to do it. I’m honestly just curious if I’d qualify.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fings1 said:

This reminds me of Seinfeld and George looking for a job. "I like football. Maybe I can be head of the analytics department?" 

I CAN BE THE HEAD OF THE ANALYTICS DEPT!!!

Seriously though, I can even reverse engineer a completion percentage to isolate completions and attempts!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Warfish said:

In before people round here start taking about Wilson's "pass spin rate" as being elite, and Lawson's "time to break stance" speed being the best in the NFL.....

Better yet, in before a 45% completion % is considered elite as long as the QB gets X passing yards, because the analytics say  (i.e. an NFL equivalent to a .215 batting average being fine if you hit a few HR's these days).

Fun times to come!

The alternative is picking Ezekiel Elliot, Todd Gurley, Leonard Fournette, and Saquon Barkley with 1st round picks.

I’ll roll with the “computer folks” (as Dave Gettleman calls them) over that alternative. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Warfish said:

In before people round here start taking about Wilson's "pass spin rate" as being elite, and Lawson's "time to break stance" speed being the best in the NFL.....

Better yet, in before a 45% completion % is considered elite as long as the QB gets X passing yards, because the analytics say  (i.e. an NFL equivalent to a .215 batting average being fine if you hit a few HR's these days).

Fun times to come!

When did anyone excuse a 45% comp rate because of yardage?

Some analytics are pretty safe predictions of how a player will develop.  We had an analytics person for this years draft.  It’s the NFL in 2020

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When did anyone excuse a 45% comp rate because of yardage?

Never, as yet.  Hence the "...in before" part of the comment.

Used to be no one would excuse a .215 batting average either.  

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Some analytics are pretty safe predictions of how a player will develop.  We had an analytics person for this years draft.  It’s the NFL in 2020

It's all sports in 2021, and has been some of them for many years.

I think analytics, and some of what that has driven, has made Baseball a materially less fun sport to watch as a fan.

I hope the NFL does not go that route the way Baseball has.

That's all.  I know every team has an analytics guy, in point of fact I saw this job opening when it was posted.  Gave it a thought of applying myself, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When did anyone excuse a 45% comp rate because of yardage?

Some analytics are pretty safe predictions of how a player will develop.  We had an analytics person for this years draft.  It’s the NFL in 2020

Well, Joe Willy had a 50% comp, but threw for over 27,000 yards so theres that.  :) 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Never, as yet.  Hence the "...in before" part of the comment.

Used to be no one would excuse a .215 batting average either.  

No one is ever going to be ok with a 45% comp rate anymore than theyre ok with a .215 BA.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

think analytics, and some of what that has driven, has made Baseball a materially less fun sport to watch as a fan.

I hate the constant referencing to mindless analytics in baseball.  I could care less about launch angle or velocity of HRs.  I could care less if a HR goes out by 6inches for a GWHR or 100 feet over the fence, Alonzo's HRs dont count for more runs than McNeils HRs, theyre still one run to the offense

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...