Jets hire new manager of football analytics.

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Well, Joe Willy had a 50% comp, but threw for over 27,000 yards so theres that.  :) 

I understand but that was a completely different game, different goals and different rules.  A lot of which goes into excusing comp%

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I hate the constant referencing to mindless analytics in baseball.  I could care less about launch angle or velocity of HRs.  I could care less if a HR goes out by 6inches for a GWHR or 100 feet over the fence, Alonzo's HRs dont count for more runs than McNeils HRs, theyre still one run to the offense

The point is to determine what is sustainable and what is not.  It helps prevent teams from overpaying in free agency for a guy whose HRs in one park won’t translate to another team’s pitchers park.

Analytics have their place. They just need to be used skillfully. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I've always been interested in football analytics specific to being employed by a particular team. What's the day-to-day, what's the big picture, what are the various projects? Also, how does one apply for these roles with no football experience but years of quant analysis working for banks and hedge funds?

I've searched for these types of job descriptions online randomly in the past but (obviously) can't find anything on it. 

Well George they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know...in broadcasting.

• Haha 1

Analytics- It’s merely another tool to have in the tool bag to assist you in doing your job better. It’s not the absolute and finite answer. 

even these terms of “hurries, pressures, knockdowns” are merely just additional labels that derive from the same base source: The game Tape.
These type of stats are just the ability to “label” and create a statistical value on a player’s performance and potential (since the actual “hard stat” of a tackle, Sack, TFL, or FF wasn’t made by said player) for purely monetary purposes (sign as FA, what round to draft, etc)

50 years ago all that mattered was “did he tackle the ball carrier behind the LOS?”

nowadays, that doesn’t matter as much but it can mean a significant difference in Millions of Dollars for doling out contracts.  My 2¢

• Upvote 2