Jets call Chicago about Foles

18 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Of course I don't think it's possible I'm just wondering what happens if a player is drafted and then goes back to school and declares the following draft?

Not just "Zach Wilson" but anyone....

What happens?

If you have an agent already for draft purposes you can't go back to school. I don't think the recent court ruling changes that -- you can have an agent for endorsements only without waiving college eligibility.

23 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. 

5F8ADD41-4CC7-427D-825A-9D10D3ED93A9.gif

We always freak out at anything. This place was on suicide watch when Saleh left Jets HQ without a signed contract, as if he was applying for a job at Foot Locker.

"You got the job."

"Great, when do I start?"

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, freestater said:

To all of you still thinking this actually happened...

THIS DIDN'T  HAPPEN. 

Shame because it should!!!

I dont like Zach being in the weakest QB room in the league with a virgin OC.  Knapp was kind of the saving grace here for development.  Now?  Kind of scary.  

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Of course I don't think it's possible I'm just wondering what happens if a player is drafted and then goes back to school and declares the following draft?

Not just "Zach Wilson" but anyone....

What happens?

If he's not signed before the next draft the team that picked him the prior year loses his rights and he's like any other draft-eligible player

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Don't diss the Captain

Captain Morgan GIFs | Tenor

Hard to diss someone we know nothing about. Although, despite Gase being a terrible coach, it's not a good look that Morgan wasn't viewed as fit to dress even when Sam was injured last year.

8 hours ago, Facts said:

This ^

Not that it will happen, but he does have the right to simply enter the draft again next season.

Got to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. Under the current CBA there is almost nothing that is not predetermined, especially salary. He would have to be a moron to sit out a year (and he can't go back to school) over some minor offset language in a contract. None of the major contract issues are negotiable. If he sits out over offset language then he was a bad pick.

And as far as Foles goes, let's not forget that Zach has had TWO major shoulder surgeries already in his young career. Going into the season with Zach and two backups who have never taken an NFL snap is irresponsible, UNLESS management has decided this is a rebuilding year and have NO PLAYOFF ASPIRATIONS. And I hope that is not the case!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I'm not familiar with how the rules of the draft works and I could be wrong but even if he were to re-enter the NFL draft next year; wouldn't the Jets still own his drafting rights?

No.

If a team who drafts a player can not come to a contractual agreement with a player, that player has the right to re-enter the following draft and the first team loses his rights.

It’s a nuclear option but it’s allowed.

1 minute ago, viffer said:

Got to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. Under the current CBA there is almost nothing that is not predetermined, especially salary. He would have to be a moron to sit out a year (and he can't go back to school) over some minor offset language in a contract. None of the major contract issues are negotiable. If he sits out over offset language then he was a bad pick.

And as far as Foles goes, let's not forget that Zach has had TWO major shoulder surgeries already in his young career. Going into the season with Zach and two backups who have never taken an NFL snap is irresponsible, UNLESS management has decided this is a rebuilding year and have NO PLAYOFF ASPIRATIONS. And I hope that is not the case!

Which part of the post was ridiculous?

1) The fact that he has the right to re-enter the draft? A fact is ridiculous?

2) Or my statement that it won’t happen? Saying it won’t happen is ridiculous?

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, viffer said:

You still need a competent backup even on a rebuilding team unless you think there’s no one on offense worth developing. In our current situation, I prefer a younger QB with theoretical upside (a Trubisky/Minshew type) over a “steady vet” like Foles — who would be a good add for a contending team. You might hit on a younger guy and have Wilson bust insurance or trade bait.

Of course if that guy is already on the team (Morgan/White), you stand pat. The coaching staff and JD have to make that assessment.

11 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

In short, If JD made an offer, I highly doubt it would be anything they would jump at to accept now. The way he is with saving cap space, he probably offered to take Foles and their 2nd or 3rd for a 7th in 2025

Lol, you’re probably not far off. Foles has $8M guaranteed left on his deal that I’m sure Chicago, with just $6M in cap space this year, would love to get off the books. I’d think JD would need a premium to take it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol, you’re probably not far off. Foles has $8M guaranteed left on his deal that I’m sure Chicago, with just $6M in cap space this year, would love to get off the books. I’d think JD would need a premium to take it. 

Could resemble the osweiler to browns deal a few years back. Basically buy a draft pick. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

This. Stop citing "NFL Rumors" tweets; it's literally some random guy somewhere making sh*t up

It's not NFL Rumors.  It's NFLRums.  As far as I can tell NFL Rumors at profootballrumors.com is a legit site that just aggregates articles on players.  NFLRums is Incarcerated Bob without the followers. 

• Upvote 2

Every time I hear of some unsubstantiated rumor from Twitter, I think of Bunny from Platoon.

9 Violent Mainstream Movie Scenes That Went Too Far – Page 5

Yeah, I can dig it, man. You smoke that s**t, everything kind of gets weird, you know what I mean? You hear that story about the g**s putting chemicals in the grass, so we don't fight? So we become pacifists?

• Haha 1

I was honestly confused as to why Jets brass thought it was okay to bring in 3 unproven QBs on the roster into training camp. If true at least JD is attempting to add a vet to the QB room.....I know Zach’s contract issues are lurking in the background but I think we still need to add an experienced QB to the roster, even if it isn’t someone with the pedigree of Nick Foles 

6 hours ago, jgb said:

We always freak out at anything. This place was on suicide watch when Saleh left Jets HQ without a signed contract, as if he was applying for a job at Foot Locker.

"You got the job."

"Great, when do I start?"

+1 The number 1 exercise on JN is jumping to conclusions and Zak isn't signed yet 6 days before camp means he will sit out till Aug.. The Chicken Little Brigade is already in mid season form..:cheers:

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Facts said:

Which part of the post was ridiculous?

1) The fact that he has the right to re-enter the draft? A fact is ridiculous?

2) Or my statement that it won’t happen? Saying it won’t happen is ridiculous?

Douglas has zero leverage on this because Wilson doesn't have to depend on a NFL contract to make his family and his life better.  He was born into wealth.  Remember Carson Palmer saved all his money and told Cinci he could wait.

Making your potential new franchise QB pissed is not the correct path to take.

25 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

+1 The number 1 exercise on JN is jumping to conclusions and Zak isn't signed yet 6 days before camp means he will sit out till Aug.. The Chicken Little Brigade is already in mid season form..:cheers:

The emotional troughs and valleys must be exhausting 

17 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

It would be gross negligence if JD goes into 2021 with Zach Wilson/James Morgan as his starting/backup quarterback.

That isn't an answer, that's just restating what you already claimed.

Why would it be "gross negligence"?

33 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Douglas has zero leverage on this because Wilson doesn't have to depend on a NFL contract to make his family and his life better.  He was born into wealth.  Remember Carson Palmer saved all his money and told Cinci he could wait.

He does have leverage. Players want to play.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Lith said:

This "update" is from the NFL Rumors twitter account.  NFL Rumors does not break news, they simply repeat news from other sources.  Sometimes it looks like they just throw stuff out there without any source hoping some of their stuff will stick.  In this case they do not refer to a source.

I am not buying anything this site sells unless I see/hear it from a credible source. 

Yup one of the worst nfl follows on Twitter.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

His uncle’s wealthy, not his immediate family. He was semi-famously doing Door Dashes for extra cash while training. I’m sure he’d like to sign a contract. 

If the hold up is on his side, I’d guess it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with his agents. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Yup.  There are about 40 unsigned draft picks including Trey Lance as well.  Zach is far from the only unsigned guy.  And while some have pointed to the fact that his agent represented Joey Bosa, he also represented Joe Burrow who signed his contract last July.

If he starts missing practice time next week and into August, I will be concerned.  Right now though, its just part of the process.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

So you're good with James Morgan as our starter should Zach ever miss games?

That also isn't an answer, that's just turning my question to you into a question to me.

Is it REALLY that hard for you to explain WHY you think we have to sign another QB?  You've now directly dodged answering twice. 

What is it that not having a veteran QB is going to cause or do that you think is bad?  It's not a rocket science question.

Here, let me show you how people answer direct questions with direct answers:

You asked:  So you're good with James Morgan as our starter should Zach ever miss games?

I answer:  Yes, I am. Here is why:

If Morgan is horrible in camp/preseason, I may change my opinion, but overall I see no problem nor meaningful risk in avoiding "veteran journeymen" QB's, nor do I see any problem or loss in letting Morgan play vs. letting a Hoyer-type veteran play.    

1. Zach has coaches, he doesn't need a mentor.  

2. Zach is the Day 1 starter.  Our coaches don't need the temptation to start a Veteran if he falters.

3. If Zack gets hurt, the season is lost, veteran QB or not.  I'd like to see Morgan get experience in that case, but we could always sign some JAG veteran at that point if needed, there are always a few on the scrapheap available.  I do not prioritize going 3-8 with some Veteran vs, going 2-9 with Morgan (for example) as being of much value.

4. I've yet to see Morgan take a single snap.  I'd like to see that happen, in a preseason game, before I decide if he sucks or not.

5. I don't think a Veteran JAG (a McCown or Hoyer type) brings anything of value to the team.

See, that is how people answer questions.  

• Upvote 2