Jump to content

Jets call Chicago about Foles


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

That was the Warfish's guy..B)

In the history of this board, has any scrub, backup QB who has done nothing in his career ever gotten more attention than Mike Glennon?

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This "update" is from the NFL Rumors twitter account.  NFL Rumors does not break news, they simply repeat news from other sources.  Sometimes it looks like they just throw stuff out there without any

like did they call to inquire about trading for him or to just laugh at Chicago that they still have him

www.morganwasawastedpick.calm Hashtag # Morgansucks

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

In the history of this board, has any scrub, backup QB who has done nothing in his career ever gotten more attention than Mike Glennon?

Only guy who maybe came close was Brock Osweiler.  But Glennon has been brought in by 5 different franchises compared to just 3 for Oswelier.

Not a career backup of course, but Sam Bradford tops the list of bad QB's who got way too much money and way too many chances by 4 different franchises.  His estimated net worth is $80 million, and twice he was traded for high picks.  

But at least in Bradford's case he was a # 1 overall pick.  Glennon was a 3rd rounder.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Happily for the Redskins, er, Red Wolves, er, Red Hogs, er.... Washington Football Team, they signed Fitz to be theior starting QB, so if signing Fitz is asking to get the starter hurt, Fitz himself will get hurt, and then DC fans can enjoy watching Heinicke play instead, lol.

A410B100-626A-4850-9A67-B3849175A522.gif

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why posters find this take so hard to believe. 1) What are the odds that Chicago keeps Dalton, Fields and Foles on their roster? 2) What is the likelihood that the Jets go into the season with Zach, Morgan and White as their QB's? 

Neither situation is very likely, Chicago close to 0% unless one of the other QB's get hurt in Preseason and our situation is unlikely unless Morgan or White lights it up in training camp and the preseason. Based on the fact that Morgan and White couldn't even handle OTA's with just shorts on, I'm not taking that bet. 

To those questioning why we need a veteran backup, I find it funny how quickly people forget watching games with Luke Falk under center being that there is a thread about him on the front page as we speak. Having a vet backup isn't just for the QB, it's about allowing Mims, Moore and Michael Carter the chance to develop in a semi-functional offense should Wilson get hurt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre still on this?

Theres plenty of time to sign his last pick.  Two days ago the crying was for Wilson, Moore and AVT, now we're down to Wilson, the highest of the picks.

Youre still whining about a possible holdout and why we cant have it.  

 

Repost any comment i made about this that you or anybody would consider whining. I never said that there would be a holdout, long or short. When a rumour was posted about the Jet's inquiring about Foles., i thought it was interesting timing if the story was true. Just posting that it was food for thought. Hardly whining, Nut

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He hates JD and is on a mission to cry about every imagined indiscretion 

And whining about Zach missing time a week before he can actually be a hold out is the point.  Nothing was aggressive or whatever in the response.  

You telling people to chill in between diatribes and banning is cute though.  Oh wait, 30 day suspensions

I don't hate JD. Your just flat out wrong. I've posted a dozen things complimentary to J.D. From the coaching staff he assembled, to how he rebuilt the offense. He's not immune to us at times questioning some of the decisions he's made, though. Is he?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

You do attack posters, but it's ok.  Morgan was a wasted pick. Because if you can't get on the field in 2020, you must suck.

And all you do is imagine I'm attacking someone and giving a thumbs down.  If you didnt realize he has a dislike of JD and hated the idea of trading Adams and Darnold then you haven't been paying attention.   Its on you, no one attacked @genot, hes cool just likes Adams and Darnold more than the picks or JD.  No biggie.  

As for Morgan, he wasnt a wasted pick.  You have no idea that he is or isnt.  And claiming someone who didnt see the field, when COVID forced teams to carry an extra COVID QB and kept developmental players from even seeing practice time is a general lack of understanding not that a player sucks.  In fact I'd bet you that the Jets would love for Morgan to be a Jet for 10 years and never have to see the field, ever.  Hes something crazy, that wouldnt make him a bust

 

 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, genot said:

I don't hate JD. Your just flat out wrong. I've posted a dozen things complimentary to J.D. From the coaching staff he assembled, to how he rebuilt the offense. He's not immune to us at times questioning some of the decisions he's made, though. Is he?

Come on, you dont like him, it ok, but you dont.  Didnt you say you didnt like the Adams move, Darnold move and criticize him for even trading Leo?  

No one is 100% when they make moves, I agree.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And all you do is imagine I'm attacking someone and giving a thumbs down.  If you didnt realize he has a dislike of JD and hated the idea of trading Adams and Darnold then you haven't been paying attention.   Its on you, no one attacked @genot, hes cool just likes Adams and Darnold more than the picks or JD.  No biggie.  

As for Morgan, he wasnt a wasted pick.  You have no idea that he is or isnt.  And claiming someone who didnt see the field, when COVID forced teams to carry an extra COVID QB and kept developmental players from even seeing practice time is a general lack of understanding not that a player sucks.  In fact I'd bet you that the Jets would love for Morgan to be a Jet for 10 years and never have to see the field, ever.  Hes something crazy, that wouldnt make him a bust

 

 

I thought the Adams trade was a great trade for us. Adams left us no other choice but to trade him. Recieving that much in return was a no brainer. I wanted Sam back. I've talked about that ad-nauseum. I don't dislike J. D for it though. He thought it was best that we start over, and that Sam gets a fresh start elsewhere. Back to Adams. Again, was happy about the trade. I thought that Adams the player was trashed a little to much here. Whenever i talked about Adams, it was about that, and not the trade to Seattle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Come on, you dont like him, it ok, but you dont.  Didnt you say you didnt like the Adams move, Darnold move and criticize him for even trading Leo?  

No one is 100% when they make moves, I agree.  

Read my post. Trading Leo was another trade that had to be made. We had QW. Can't have two high salaried DT's on your roster. Same thing with Leo as with Adams. I thought he was a little under appreciated here. A better player than we gave him credit for. Im not making this up, or changing my opinion to get you to love me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How many games do you think we'll win with your mystery winning backup QB in place?  

 

Hard to evaluate skill position players if a team is stuck starting a quarterback who is absolute dogsh*t with an offense not staying on the field going 3 and out all day. I'm not saying Morgan is dogsh*t but he's an unknown commodity heading into training camp with a rookie QB1 and rookie OC. I'd like the Jets to hedge their bets at QB and bring in a quality veteran quarterback before the regular season is here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Hard to evaluate skill position players if a team is stuck starting a quarterback who is absolute dogsh*t with an offense not staying on the field going 3 and out all day. I'm not saying Morgan is dogsh*t but he's an unknown commodity heading into training camp with a rookie QB1 and rookie OC. I'd like the Jets to hedge their bets at QB and bring in a quality veteran quarterback before the regular season is here.

For a fourth round draft pick, Morgan gets a ****load of bandwidth around here. I agree with you, though, in that he’s an unknown quantity. We have no idea as fans; there was no preseason, he didn’t play in the regular season. What we do know is that JD and this staff have. JD live for the last two years, and you know these coaches have gone over all the in house tape on him. They’re not not signing a vet blindly. Between him and White, they see enough that they’ve had no urgency at all to bring a veteran QB into the room. That’s good enough for me until I see failure on the field. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slats said:

For a fourth round draft pick, Morgan gets a ****load of bandwidth around here. I agree with you, though, in that he’s an unknown quantity. We have no idea as fans; there was no preseason, he didn’t play in the regular season. What we do know is that JD and this staff have. JD live for the last two years, and you know these coaches have gone over all the in house tape on him. They’re not not signing a vet blindly. Between him and White, they see enough that they’ve had no urgency at all to bring a veteran QB into the room. That’s good enough for me until I see failure on the field. 

He gets the bandwidth because fans are understandably trying to reconcile the use of draft pick, size of contract and the lack of his dressing a single game last year. 
 

I suspect he is a development and trade piece and with JD being on year 2 of a buildout, potentially flipping him for a higher pick or maybe a key position player. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2021 at 9:31 PM, Gibby said:

Wtf took so long? Either way. Have to have a veteran. Not fair to the rest of the team not to.

Maybe they were waiting for the market to develop or for an advantageous opportunity instead of rushing into a bad decision. A vet QB that has played in the league that will have played in the system or one close to it doesn't need half a year to figure out what's going on. Mostly it's learning the differences in the lingo. A guy who's been around and successfully played in a variety of systems has developed the ability to pick it up faster than a rookie. You also didn't need a vet on the roster at this point giving the media a convenient excuse with a half a year prior to camp doing it's best to create controversy as they invariably do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2021 at 6:48 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Only guy who maybe came close was Brock Osweiler.  But Glennon has been brought in by 5 different franchises compared to just 3 for Oswelier.

Not a career backup of course, but Sam Bradford tops the list of bad QB's who got way too much money and way too many chances by 4 different franchises.  His estimated net worth is $80 million, and twice he was traded for high picks.  

But at least in Bradford's case he was a # 1 overall pick.  Glennon was a 3rd rounder.

Mark Sanchez made $66M arguably a greater pay-to-contribution ratio than Bradford. But it is insane how much draft capital changed hands over the years for Bradford. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think it has been said before, but I don't see all the concern about having  an unknown comodity at back up QB,  Why would we care about that when the starter is about as unknown as it gets? 

Can only speak for myself but I’m not concerned. I just don’t want a guy like Foles, CJ Brethard, Flacco, McCown, Vick, Brunell who we know isn’t the future. I’d rather roll with Morgan and see if we have something there. If JD did make a move (likely because he assesses Morgan as not the guy/not ready) I’d prefer someone young and with at least hypothetical upside (like Trubisky or Minshew). This team isn’t contending so a steady-hand JAG vet doesn’t make sense. At least get someone with an tiny chance to provide Wilson bust insurance or become trade bait.

Peter King wrote recently that the Jets are dumb for not bringing in Foles to mentor Wilson. Seriously? What QB has Foles made any better?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jgb said:

Can only speak for myself but I’m not concerned. I just don’t want a guy like Foles, CJ Brethard, Flacco, McCown, Vick, Brunell who we know isn’t the future. I’d rather roll with Morgan and see if we have something there. If JD did make a move (likely because he assesses Morgan as not the guy/not ready) I’d prefer someone young and with at least hypothetical upside (like Trubisky or Minshew). This team isn’t contending so a steady-hand JAG vet doesn’t make sense. At least get someone with an tiny chance to provide Wilson bust insurance or become trade bait.

Peter King wrote recently that the Jets are dumb for not bringing in Foles to mentor Wilson. Seriously? What QB has Foles made any better?

Obviously Trubisky should’ve stayed, he would have become a superstar under the influence of Foles, just like Darnold benefited immensely from McCowns years of experience in the league. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

New Information on Nick Foles Rumors

On July 20, 2021, Jets beat reporter Brian Costello of the New York Postshed some light on the Nick Folessituation.

“The Jets and Bears have had discussions, according to sources, but it seems unlikely that any deal will happen,” wrote Costello.

Now before you stop reading and think ‘what type of news is that?’ Please allow me to elaborate on this report.

To this point, Gang Green has denied all interest in signing a veteran backup at quarterback. Now all of a sudden a respected beat reporter is acknowledging that they have had discussions with the Chicago Bears for Foles. Excuse me, what?

Foles has been the hottest name in the backup QB conversation all spring and summer, but Costello points to his absurd contract as the deciding factor that has kept teams from agreeing to a trade. The former Super Bowl MVP is the projected third-string signal-caller for the Bears heading into training camp.


Follow the Heavy On Jets Facebook page, where you can weigh in on all the latest NYJ-related daily content, analysis, features and more!


The Anchor That Is Foles’ Contract

Chicago is currently stuck paying Foles $4 million guaranteed in 2021 ($6.67 cap hit) and $5 million guaranteed in 2022 ($10.67 cap hit). “The Bears surely would have to eat some of that contract to facilitate a trade,” added Costello.

About a month ago, I detailed a Jets trade package for Foles that made sense for several reasons.

  • Foles led the Philadelphia Eagles to a Super Bowl victory as a backup, AKA he’s done it before, performing at the highest level.
  • General manager Joe Douglashas a prior relationship with Foles from that Philly championship run.
  • Douglas also has a prior relationship with Bears GM Ryan Pace.
  • Foles has the football IQ to learn this scheme, as well as the high-character reputation to provide an impact as a leader and mentor.
  • Wilson and Foles both have a background forged from religion and faith.
  • Chicago is practically begging to get rid of the veteran so they can free up cap space.

My offer for Foles was a late-sixth rounder and Costello seems to concur: “If Chicago does get motivated to move Foles, the Jets have three sixth-round picks next year and could part with one of them for Foles.”

The Bears would also pay a portion of Foles’ salary in the agreement.

Recent Tragedy Amplifies Jets ‘Need’

The recent heartbreaking loss of Greg Knapp influenced the entire landscape of the NFL. When someone of the quarterback guru’s pedigree suffers an unexpected accident, everyone takes notice. When that accident becomes fatal, the football world joins together solemnly in their honor.

Douglas and the Jets organization will grieve the loss of Coach Knapp just like everyone else, as a person, husband and father first and foremost.

From a teaching standpoint, there were few coaches like Knapp in this league. Saying that he will be sorely missed is a massive understatement.

Having said that, general managers are never afforded the luxury of happenstance. When a calamity occurs, they must adjust on the fly and rectify it. This tragedy can either become a disaster for the Green and White, or a rallying cry.

Douglas is no doubt aware that his rookie quarterback just lost his greatness mentor on this staff. Foles does not replace Knapp, but he can help Wilson develop and relieve some of the stress that the coach’s passing has caused.

If Foles doesn’t work out, a cheaper alternative might be to hire former Jets quarterback Josh McCown as an assistant to QB coach Rob Calabrese. McCown is looking to begin his career in the coaching world and he assisted Sam Darnold with a similar transition in 2018.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Damn Good Dawg GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It makes too much sense to not happen. The tragic loss of Knapp creates a void for  continuing to develop Wilson. The relationship between JD & Foles makes too much sense not to happen. The need makes too much sense not to happen. The minimal cap space Chicago has makes the $1.5 mil saved if traded  worthwhile.

image.thumb.png.8e27f9ae6161ab3ff29d4d237d1a7207.png

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

It makes too much sense to not happen. The tragic loss of Knapp creates a void for  continuing to develop Wilson. The relationship between JD & Foles makes too much sense not to happen. The need makes too much sense not to happen. The minimal cap space Chicago has makes the $1.5 mil saved if traded  worthwhile.

image.thumb.png.8e27f9ae6161ab3ff29d4d237d1a7207.png

If Joe Douglas expresses any interest, it’ll be because the Bears are offering draft pick compensation along with Foles to eat his very stupid contract. Something like the Jets sending a sixth, and getting back Foles and a fourth. 
 
Foles will always have that Super Bowl, but otherwise he really hasn’t been very good. The Bears didn’t add two QBs to put ahead of him on their depth chart this offseason because they believe he’s a viable option. Also think JD would just prefer to roll with Morgan and/or White. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

The new NFL rules on Covid make it much more difficult to bring anyone in from the outside unless they can prove they were vacinated.  This is going to be a big issue for players who refuse and get cut or any potential trades.  

I suspect a lot of players who would normally sign on with another team are going to be out of the NFL this year unless they are willing to get vacinated and show proof.  

Don't know if Foles was vacinated or not but if he wasn't they can't bring him in and put him in the QB room with Zach.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Just End The Suffering said:

I endorse this idea because Foles could teach Wilson a thing or two about winning big games and playing with a certain poise and confidence.

Isn't that the reason the Jets are paying Rob Calabrese?

Foles is only about 31 or so, I would think his goal is to win a starting job again, not baby sit a young QB

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Biggs said:

The new NFL rules on Covid make it much more difficult to bring anyone in from the outside unless they can prove they were vacinated.  This is going to be a big issue for players who refuse and get cut or any potential trades.  

I suspect a lot of players who would normally sign on with another team are going to be out of the NFL this year unless they are willing to get vacinated and show proof.  

Don't know if Foles was vacinated or not but if he wasn't they can't bring him in and put him in the QB room with Zach.  

If a player is unhappy with their contract would they be tempted to not get vaccinated, cut, then resigning with new team on better terms and then get vaccinated? It’s going to be another crazy year

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

With the Jets no longer currently having a QB coach, I think it makes it even that much more important to get a veteran QB in here for camp asap. 

😔 Such a tragedy, way too young. 🙏

Rob Calabrese is, and has been the QB coach.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Apologize, my mistake. I must have misread one of the articles I read after Knapp passed 

Your correct, a few of the scribes have reported Knapp as the QB coach.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...