AVT Signs rookie deal

Lith

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-sign-first-round-pick-alijah-vera-tucker?fbclid=IwAR3REVWk0GUve5u5bXOCMfKbieqhP9oQgHoS-yXgUu_Qn7mN87z81GjVsDU

Jets Sign First-Round Pick Alijah Vera-Tucker 

Former USC OL Selected No. 14 Overall in NFL Draft

Jul 20, 2021 at 07:51 PM

bell headshot

Jack Bell

NYJETS.COM CONTRIBUTOR

AVT-DRAFT SIGNED GRAPHIC TEMPLATE - 1920x1080 -_

The Jets have signed Alijah Vera-Tucker out of USC, the second of the team's two picks in the first round (No. 14) in the NFL Draft.

According to Pro Football Focus, AVT played 975 total snaps in pass protection and allowed only 5 sacks, 3 quarterback hits and 8 quarterback hurries. Vera-Tucker's career pass-blocking grade was 91.6, which is the second-highest among offensive linemen in the 2021 draft class.

After the Jets took QB Zach Wilson with the No. 2 overall pick, they were sitting with the No. 23 selection (via the Jamal Adams trade to Seattle), watching as USC's Vera-Tucker (AVT) was available at the start of the second ten.

"We felt we had a unique opportunity to get a top-10 player in our minds as our board was stacked," General Manager Joe Douglas said after the Green & White traded three picks (Nos. 23, 66 and 86) to Minnesota for Nos. 14 and 143. "To go up and get a guy like Alijah Vera-Tucker, a player that has started at tackle, has started at guard and has been highly productive at both. That versatility and that production is something we really value."

By drafting Vera-Tucker (6-4, 215), who has played guard and tackle on the left, and tackle on the right side, the Jets could potentially team him with last year's top draft pick, Mekhi Becton, to form a formidable tandem.

"Being able to play alongside Mekhi, you have two physical players on the same side," AVT said during his first visit to the Jets Atlantic Health Training Center in Florham Park, NJ. "At the same time, I'll play wherever they need me -- left guard, left tackle, right tackle -- wherever they need me I'll come in and play. At same time it really doesn't matter to me."

Vera-Tucker became the 16th draft choice by the Jets out of USC in franchise history since the start of the common NFL/AFL draft in 1969. The team has selected DB Mike Battle No. 331 overall in 1969; RB Anthony Davis No. 27 in 1975; LB Richard Wood No. 78 in 1975; G Joe Davis No. 211 in 1976; T Marvin Powell No. 4 in 1977; DT Brian Luft No. 124 in 1985; G Dave Cadigan No. 8 in 1988; LB Kurt Barber No. 42 in 1992; WR Keyshawn Johnson No. 1 overall in 1996; WR Windrell Hayes No. 143 in 2000; QB Mark Sanchez No. 5 in 2009; B Joe McKnight No. 112 in 2010; DT Leonard Williams No. 6 in 2015; QB Sam Darnold No. 3 in 2018; and OL Chuma Edoga No. 92 in 2019.

A full training camp for a talented young left side of the o-line to develop while the veteran right side (Fant, Moses, Feeney, GVR, Lewis) establishes itself should lead to a much better synergy and run game to start the season. My only concern is whether McGovern can improve to shore up the interior of the pocket; hopefully Clarke can usurp one of the veteran RGs

8 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

rookie contracts really are ridiculous and such a huge benefit to the team. 4 years $15.9m for a player of his potential is ridiculous. Thuney just got 5 years $80m on the open market 

They make it up on their 2nd contract... and with the amount of busts... its understandable... Look at Erick Flowers... huge bust and still makes money... 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

rookie contracts really are ridiculous and such a huge benefit to the team. 4 years $15.9m for a player of his potential is ridiculous. Thuney just got 5 years $80m on the open market 

It was one of the issues the vets pushed for.  Under the cap a large %  of money was going to rookies.  Not much left fro the vets.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

It was one of the issues the vets pushed for.  Under the cap a large %  of money was going to rookies.  Not much left fro the vets.

and bradford and Russell wrecked it for the rest... forced huge contracts and did nothing.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

You forgot to add “Unproven” before rookies and that’s why the NFLPA was willing to sacrifice the youth’s (college players entering the league) guaranteed salaries to better accommodate the proven veterans’ larger and 2nd contracts. 

• Upvote 2

I love how we used our Jamal Adams 1st round and 3rd round picks in order to move up and draft the #1 Interior O-lineman within the Country coming out in Alijah Vera-Tucker. 

Next year I'm hoping to use Seattle's 1st and Sam Darnold's 2nd in order to trade up into the early 1st for Kayvon Thibodeaux (DE) to play alongside of Carl Lawson (DE) and Quinnen Williams (DT). 

Alijah Vera-Tucker is going to become the greatest LG within Jets Franchise History.

10 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Thuney getting 5 years $80m now is what happens to guys like AVT down the road.  I'm not crying over someone who hasnt prove he can play a down of NFL football. As if four years, $15.885M, fully gtd. with an $8.9M signing bonus is nothing

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

They are a benefit if the player plays up to his drafted potential, but there are also a lot of times they do not and the player gets the better end of the deal.  

Mekhi Becton pokes fun at Alijah Vera-Tucker on Twitter

By
 Michael Nania
 -
 07/21/2021

Mekhi Becton poked fun at NY Jets teammate Alijah Vera-Tucker on Twitter. Jet X Graphic, Getty Images

Mekhi Becton enjoyed an active Tuesday on Twitter, featuring a little bit of fun with the newly-signed Alijah Vera-Tucker.

Michael Nania

“Did we just become best friends?”

“Yep!”

Like the characters played by Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly in the 2008 comedy film Step Brothers, the New York Jets‘ young offensive line duo of left tackle Mekhi Becton and left guard Alijah Vera-Tucker quickly began forming one of the greatest bromances on the Jets’ roster as soon as the latter was drafted in April.

And, of course, no brotherly relationship is complete without a little bit of joshing from the older brother.

Vera-Tucker signed his $15.9 million rookie contract on Tuesday, and Becton made sure to let his left-side partner know that he was interested in a little slice of the pie.

The 14th overall pick wasn’t feeling it – and also made sure to point out that Becton was in no position to be asking considering he was taken three spots higher in the prior draft (Becton’s rookie contract is worth $18.4 million).
Becton has gleefully embraced his new partnership with Vera-Tucker throughout the offseason. He immediately shared a euphoric reaction with the Twitter world following Vera-Tucker’s selection in the first round of the 2021 NFL draft.
Later, Becton would label the duo as “Jordan and Pippen,” “Shaq and Kobe,” and “Batman and Robin.”
Speaking to the media in June, Becton explained why he is excited to play alongside the USC product.

“I was ecstatic because he a do,” Becton said. “I know we’re ready to do some things on the line.”

“He complements my game really well. We both like to see guys on the ground, so I feel like we’re going to be really good together. Real good together.”

Jets X-Factor Membership

Interestingly enough, Becton is only about three months older than Vera-Tucker. Becton was born on April 18, 1999, while Vera-Tucker was born on June 17 of the same year. Nevertheless, Becton has fully embraced the big-brother role and is clearly thrilled about the possibility of what he and Vera-Tucker could build together.

Becton had an active Tuesday night on Twitter. He went to bat for teammate Lawrence Cager, who responded to someone criticizing his route running in a video clip of a practice rep against Bless Austin.

Throughout the night, Becton made it clear where his rooting interest lied in Game 6 of the NBA Finals.

Becton hoped to see 16th-year veteran and future Hall-of-Famer Chris Paul extend the series to a seventh game so he could get a shot at his first ring, but it was not meant to be. The Milwaukee Bucks defeated the Phoenix Suns by a score of 105-98 to claim their first NBA title since 1971.

Now, Becton must shift his focus toward doing what Giannis Antetokounmpo was able to do: use his absurd athleticism and size to lead the green-colored team that drafted him top-15 to a championship.