New York Knickerbockers: 2021-2022

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Can you blame them this time around? They had to beat 4/120 for Paul or 3/90 for Lowry. **** that. Moving fast on locking up Rose at that salary was a solid consolation prize. At least this time around is Leon is keeping their options open when things don't work out.

Not at all, and cannot believe Phoenix gave Paul 4 years. More just excited to name drop Prigs and Shved in a convo, don't get that chance often. Be a fun little game to see how many PGs we've had over the years. Including the cup of coffee from the Baron Davis' and Jason Kidds. 

1 minute ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Not at all, and cannot believe Phoenix gave Paul 4 years. More just excited to name drop Prigs and Shved in a convo, don't get that chance often. Be a fun little game to see how many PGs we've had over the years. Including the cup of coffee from the Baron Davis' and Jason Kidds. 

I vividly remember Pac's meltdown when they traded Jerian Grant away. That was a fun one.

19 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Feel like we've been coming up short for over a decade now. Christ, I remember convincing myself to get excited for Pablo Prigioni and Alexey Shved. 

18 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Can you blame them this time around? They had to beat 4/120 for Paul or 3/90 for Lowry. **** that. Moving fast on locking up Rose at that salary was a solid consolation prize. At least this time around is Leon is keeping their options open when things don't work out.

I'm with @RutgersJetFan

This was not the FA period to shoot for the stars ( and the biggest names weren't coming anyway). The Knicks are trying to build a winning culture with a core group of young players. When you have been bad for as long as the knicks have, this is the correct approach. Salvation comes from within. The best organizations build from within and supplement their core with a big FA signing or two, once they are close to competing. Last season was a wonderful first step. This year is about proving that it wasn't a fluke and about developing RJ, Quickley, and the two rooks.

The word is out that RJ is basically untouchable in trade talks - which is also correct. 

If you really want to dream big, think about Zion in a coupe of years, since he is supposedly close to RJ. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'm with @RutgersJetFan

This was not the FA period to shoot for the stars ( and the biggest names weren't coming anyway). The Knicks are trying to build a winning culture with a core group of young players. When you have been bad for as long as the knicks have, this is the correct approach. Salvation comes from within. The best organizations build from within and supplement their core with a big FA signing or two, once they are close to competing. Last season was a wonderful first step. This year is about proving that it wasn't a fluke and about developing RJ, Quickley, and the two rooks.

The word is out that RJ is basically untouchable in trade talks - which is also correct. 

If you really want to dream big, think about Zion in a coupe of years, since he is supposedly close to RJ. 

My comment wasn’t a criticism of our free agency approach, just lamenting over our franchise’s perennial lack of talent at the PG position.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I'm with @RutgersJetFan

Barrett seems like he'd be one of the main selling points for Zion too.

Two really great pieces of news as well today: Gibson is back on a one year deal, and the Rose deal looks like it's slotting early Bird, so the Knicks actually still have some money to spend. 

On 8/2/2021 at 1:21 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Knicks stuff has been popping up with him for weeks. There’s definitely interest but it’s the hoopshypeverse so who the **** knows

FWIW, seems like he is a done deal to Washington for 3/$60M.  Not sure what the Nets will get in the sign and trade.  Supposedly they don't want Kuzma.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Knicks went hard at Kendrick Nunn but he took less money to go to the Lakers. That's a bummer, he would have been perfect for this squad. I'm hoping they can land Schroder because if they bring Payton back I will punch a walrus.

Schroeder a bit of a nut but can break you down off the dribble

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Knicks went hard at Kendrick Nunn but he took less money to go to the Lakers. That's a bummer, he would have been perfect for this squad. I'm hoping they can land Schroder because if they bring Payton back I will punch a walrus.

I call bogus on your ability to find said walrus, sir. 

7 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

So does this make the Knicks as good as the Hawks or Sixers?  I’m seriously don’t know 

Probably not, but it's an upgrade that ensures they will likely make the playoffs again. Miami and Chicago are better on paper for next year but they also sacrificed a lot long term. I doubt the Knicks get the 4th seed again but that's more a testament to the East being a lot tougher next year. 

Knicks are a bit of an X-factor now with Mitch coming back, adding Fournier/Kemba, and RJ/Quickley having another year under their belts. Hard to slot them as of now. I think 6-8 seed but we'll see. Playoffs two years in a row would be amazing regardless.

• Sympathy 1

My two favorite sports teams are the Jets and the UConn Huskies. The Knicks slot in third. Kemba is amongst my favorite all time athletes for what he meant to UConn and the run that he put on his shoulders in '11. 

Don't care about being practical or realistic about his age or what impact he'll have on the team. I'm straight fanboying right now. To have him back on my team and back in MSG is going to be unbelievable. Can't wait to go to a game with my UConn Kemba jersey. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

So does this make the Knicks as good as the Hawks or Sixers?  I’m seriously don’t know 

Nahh, but they will be a fun team to watch again this year. 

As I have been saying for awhile now, the ceiling of this team will ultimately be determined by how much RJ can develop. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Nahh, but they will be a fun team to watch again this year. 

As I have been saying for awhile now, the ceiling of this team will ultimately be determined by how much RJ can develop. 

I think they have surrounded themselves with enough other scorers now that they don't have to lean on him as much. X-factor for the Knicks at least IMO is Mitch.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Randle extended for 4/117. That is the icing on the cake to an incredibly well managed and flexible offseason. I can’t believe he didn’t wait out the year for $200 million but kudos to him for taking the more reasonable deal for the team. 

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is a wonderful sentiment and I'm sure he means it with what he's brought to the team, but it's hard to fathom that his experience with a major injury in the past along with having another kid on the way wasn't more of a factor. Randle is a super high character dude and 100% about the team but I just can't believe any father would leave $83 million sitting there if he didn't realize how much of a gamble it would be. I'm thrilled about the deal but I think he did it because it's the smart play, he can lock up this deal now and also get another bag when he's in his early 30's without risking losing it all. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is a wonderful sentiment and I'm sure he means it with what he's brought to the team, but it's hard to fathom that his experience with a major injury in the past along with having another kid on the way wasn't more of a factor. Randle is a super high character dude and 100% about the team but I just can't believe any father would leave $83 million sitting there if he didn't realize how much of a gamble it would be. I'm thrilled about the deal but I think he did it because it's the smart play, he can lock up this deal now and also get another bag when he's in his early 30's without risking losing it all. 

Agreed. Great contract. Better story. But I think you're spot on that it's a little more about taking the sure thing, as opposed to the gamble. Doesn't matter to us though, great signing. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...