Cleveland Announces New Team Name

Warfish

5 hours ago, Lith said:

They should have gone with the original team name, the Spiders.  But whatever, does not really matter.  Guardians will take some getting used to.

Guardians feels more like a New York Football name to me.  The Empire State Guardians sounds pretty cool to me.

Cleveland Guardians doesn't roll off the tongue all that easy tbqh.

New names are always uncomfortable to start with.

To their credit, it's not "Wizards", so they always have that at least.

Personally, I think the Cleveland Crimson would been kinda cool, would match the Browns, and make color-named teams Cleveland's thing/schtick.  I guess Guardians does sorta go with Cavaliers, kinda sorta.

The Cavs, the Guards and the Browns.

6 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

who the hell is the name Indians offensive to?

Offensiveness argument aside, how about it simply being inaccurate?  Isn’t that enough to stop using the term?

Imagine centuries ago someone landing in England by ship but thinking it was Norway, and then a huge group of people just agreed to start calling the people there Norwegians for hundreds of years.  Would be kind of irksome, no?  

It’s pretty simple, really:  People from India are the only people who should be called Indians.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Hadn't noticed that.  Good catch.

I'd like for my FSU Seminoles to change their team name too because this whole...

image.png.06c65f0484196c61d8cfa99fff555edd.png

Is getting tiresome and stale.

Our American ancestors literally slaughtered those innocent people (Native Americans) and I love our football teams win or lose but I hate making a mockery out of the Native Americans who were destroyed and then murdered.

We live in Florida and I'm pretty sure FSU can come up with a more creative team name and mascot. 

FSU Sharks (more deadly than Gators) ?

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I'd like for my FSU Seminoles to change their team name too because this whole...

image.png.06c65f0484196c61d8cfa99fff555edd.png

Is getting tiresome and stale.

Our American ancestors literally slaughtered those innocent people (Native Americans) and I love our football teams win or lose but I hate making a mockery out of the Native Americans who were destroyed and then murdered.

We live in Florida and I'm pretty sure FSU can come up with a more creative team name and mascot. 

FSU Sharks (more deadly than Gators) ?

At least that team name honors the tribe of that region.  That’s far more acceptable than a name which paints all indigenous people with a similar brush, or calls them by an incorrect or offensive name. 

On the list of potentially problematic team names, Seminoles is very low on the list of ones that could/should be changed in the near future.

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Offensiveness argument aside, how about it simply being inaccurate?  Isn’t that enough to stop using the term?

Imagine centuries ago someone landing in England by ship but thinking it was Norway, and then a huge group of people just agreed to start calling the people there Norwegians for hundreds of years.  Would be kind of irksome, no?  

It’s pretty simple, really:  People from India are the only people who should be called Indians.

So keep the name and make this the new logo

C1F62875-E93D-4365-92D6-5B0BA5CA61F4.jpeg