Jump to content

Aaron Rodgers retiring next week?


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Disagree with this take.

It isn't about 'keeping Rodgers happy'.  It's about recognizing that you have a top-2 QB in the league who has a few years left in the tank and doing everything to win a ring or two now.  GB might be a little jaded because they rolled right from Favre to Rodgers, but the chances of getting another Rodgers late in the 1st round are 1:1000.  It's very arguable whether drafting a player who started and contributed last year instead of Jordan Love could have made the difference in the NFCCG against TB.  Having Love on the bench contributed nothing last year.  It will contribute nothing this year.  And next year, they may very well find out they drafted an average starter. 

On top of that, the previous eight 1st round picks they made were defense.  It's interesting to see people who blasted the Jets for doing this turn around and defend GB for doing it.  In fact, in the 18 years since Rodgers was drafted, they have taken two OTs, and one QB on the offensive side of the ball.  And of course this year they doubled down with another defensive player.  They have invested next to nothing in giving Rodgers a brilliant cast around him.  The fact that they have been as successful as they have is really about how great Rodgers is. 

So I can completely understand why Rodgers, Adams, and others on the team are frustrated.  It's impossible not to wonder 'what if' they had drafted a contributing player instead of Love last year.

I hear you, I understand all of this.  But a GMs responsibility is to solidify a team and continue winning, not to leave a hole and if Rodgers decides hes done and the team is screwed by having passed on a possible replacement.  Having Love on the bench didnt add a win to their totals but it may down the road if they were incredibly lucky once again.  

Rodgers wanted McCarthy out and he was dumped.  Rodgers didnt like parts of LaFleurs offense and they changed it.  Did they spend too many picks on defense?  Probably but somehow Rodgers manages to play great and to win.  

Its a tricky situation, trying to keep a QB acting like a diva happy and trying to secure the long term success of a team.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good, the most overrated star in the league as far as the praise he got vs being held accountable for lack of overall success.

Chilling in Hawaii with his crew, playing golf (well ), hosting Jeopardy (well ) can be very attractive to a smart guy. He’s also made a lot of money to last a lifetime 

You mean “ retire” like Brett Favre retire?    It’ll take 6-7 more times before we can even start to take him seriously.

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Disagree with this take.

It isn't about 'keeping Rodgers happy'.  It's about recognizing that you have a top-2 QB in the league who has a few years left in the tank and doing everything to win a ring or two now.  GB might be a little jaded because they rolled right from Favre to Rodgers, but the chances of getting another Rodgers late in the 1st round are 1:1000.  It's very arguable whether drafting a player who started and contributed last year instead of Jordan Love could have made the difference in the NFCCG against TB.  Having Love on the bench contributed nothing last year.  It will contribute nothing this year.  And next year, they may very well find out they drafted an average starter. 

On top of that, the previous eight 1st round picks they made were defense.  It's interesting to see people who blasted the Jets for doing this turn around and defend GB for doing it.  In fact, in the 18 years since Rodgers was drafted, they have taken two OTs, and one QB on the offensive side of the ball.  And of course this year they doubled down with another defensive player.  They have invested next to nothing in giving Rodgers a brilliant cast around him.  The fact that they have been as successful as they have is really about how great Rodgers is. 

So I can completely understand why Rodgers, Adams, and others on the team are frustrated.  It's impossible not to wonder 'what if' they had drafted a contributing player instead of Love last year.

It's possible that a team with that type of success/luck drafting QB's does start to not appreciate the player at the position they have and thinks they can find another very quickly. They've gone from Hall of Famer to Hall of Famer at the position. That's rare. 

If Rodgers is in fact done, reality will smack GB in the face very quickly if Love is just a first round bust of a QB and finding the next franchise QB becomes harder. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So keeping Rodgers happy is more important that roster management and having his replacement in place?  Hes 38 not 28.

The screw up was they should have let him know what their thinking was in drafting a QB, what their plans moving forward were.  He's earned that.  

It's not about keeping him happy, I thought I was clear about that.  It's not that they drafted a QB to replace him that should piss him off. it's that they were stupid enough to draft a QB that he should he should be pissed about.

There's a difference. 

Aaron Rodgers was then and is still is playing at a very high level - with little signs of slowing down.  You draft players to help you win now.  Draft players to help him win games.  You don't draft players in the first round to sit on the bench for 4 years.  It was beyond a stupid move - and that has nothing to do with keeping Rodgers happy.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I hear you, I understand all of this.  But a GMs responsibility is to solidify a team and continue winning, not to leave a hole and if Rodgers decides hes done and the team is screwed by having passed on a possible replacement.  Having Love on the bench didnt add a win to their totals but it may down the road if they were incredibly lucky once again.  

Rodgers wanted McCarthy out and he was dumped.  Rodgers didnt like parts of LaFleurs offense and they changed it.  Did they spend too many picks on defense?  Probably but somehow Rodgers manages to play great and to win.  

Its a tricky situation, trying to keep a QB acting like a diva happy and trying to secure the long term success of a team.  

I get what you’re saying, I just wonder if some of his reaction is due to the blowup against the Bucs? The D was awful and the O was managed in strange fashion towards the end. The refs are not so much the Packers can do about. Handed it to Brady with that last PI call. Anyway still sour grapes after that loss? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he actually should retire.  He's made a ton of money, has a ring, going into the HOF.  He's playing a high risk position for concussion and he's not getting any younger.

Going out a year or two early vs a year or a game to late is a very smart move.  The fact that he hates the Green Bay management and he and his wife no longer want to spend anymore time living in Green Bay is icing on the cake.

The guy has a long life ahead of him with plenty of earning power out of football.  Nothing wrong with going out healthy and with a great future out of football.

This idea that 1 or 2 more years of NFL football is to good to give up is insane.  The guy might live with reasonably good health into his 80's or even 90's.  That's means he will live a majority of his adult life without NFL football.  

He should retire.  It's the smart move for him, his wife and their future.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
I think he actually should retire.  He's made a ton of money, has a ring, going into the HOF.  He's playing a high risk position for concussion and he's not getting any younger.
Going out a year or two early vs a year or a game to late is a very smart move.  The fact that he hates the Green Bay management and he and his wife no longer want to spend anymore time living in Green Bay is icing on the cake.
The guy has a long life ahead of him with plenty of earning power out of football.  Nothing wrong with going out healthy and with a great future out of football.
This idea that 1 or 2 more years of NFL football is to good to give up is insane.  The guy might live with reasonably good health into his 80's or even 90's.  That's means he will live a majority of his adult life without NFL football.  
He should retire.  It's the smart move for him, his wife and their future.
What ? QB is a high concussion risk? Compared to what ? Punter?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

What ? QB is a high concussion risk? Compared to what ? Punter?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
 

Every NFL position player is at high risk of concussion. Very few NFL position players who are full time starters play past the age of 35.  He's allready had 3 Cranial concussions that forced him to miss games.   His long term health is already at serious risk.  Getting out is the smart move.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not about keeping him happy, I thought I was clear about that.  It's not that they drafted a QB to replace him that should piss him off. it's that they were stupid enough to draft a QB that he should he should be pissed about.

There's a difference. 

Aaron Rodgers was then and is still is playing at a very high level - with little signs of slowing down.  You draft players to help you win now.  Draft players to help him win games.  You don't draft players in the first round to sit on the bench for 4 years.  It was beyond a stupid move - and that has nothing to do with keeping Rodgers happy.  

I dont see the difference.  Rodgers plays, the GM builds a team.  I dont think players carry enough weight to decide who being drafted.  I dont think they have to check in with Mr Rodgers and find out if the QB they want to draft is acceptable to him. 

This isnt about replacing Rodgers while hes still productive.  This is about having an option at QB if he gets injured or retires

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I get what you’re saying, I just wonder if some of his reaction is due to the blowup against the Bucs? The D was awful and the O was managed in strange fashion towards the end. The refs are not so much the Packers can do about. Handed it to Brady with that last PI call. Anyway still sour grapes after that loss? 

I think it's criminal how dating back to 2005 (the year he was drafted) GB has only drafted Aaron Rodgers two 1st round offensive picks throughout the previous 16 NFL drafts (and 1 was an absolute bust).

Just the fact that he's ranked 3rd All-Time in QB Rating and has been able to win a SB MVP + 3 League MVPs goes to show he's one of the greatest QBs of All-Time because no QB has (ever) done more with less than Aaron Rodgers has since being drafted 2005 (only 2 1st round offensive draft picks). 

He absolutely destroyed Tampa Bay last year during the NFC Championship Game too and 100x out played Tom Brady while going 33/48 (68.7%), 346 passing yards, 3 TDs/1 INT and a QB Rating of 101.6. 

Brady threw 3 freaking INTs and GB got absolutely screwed by the refs who wanted to see Brady in another SB; it was disgusting.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I get what you’re saying, I just wonder if some of his reaction is due to the blowup against the Bucs? The D was awful and the O was managed in strange fashion towards the end. The refs are not so much the Packers can do about. Handed it to Brady with that last PI call. Anyway still sour grapes after that loss? 

I wonder the same.  Love isnt the only QB that they've drafted or brought in.  Is he really that insecure that hes worried Love will be given the starting job over Rodgers?  No one believes that.  

And as you said, if not for that god awful call GB may have been in the SB.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jet Nut said:

I dont see the difference.  Rodgers plays, the GM builds a team.  I dont think players carry enough weight to decide who being drafted.  I dont think they have to check in with Mr Rodgers and find out if the QB they want to draft is acceptable to him. 

This isnt about replacing Rodgers while hes still productive.  This is about having an option at QB if he gets injured or retires

Since dating back to 2005 the Packers throughout 16 drafts has only drafted him two 1st round offensive players and hasn't drafted a 1st round player in 10+ years and that is absolutely criminal (disgusting). 

Our Jets of 2021 just drafted as many 1st round offensive players (2) as Green Bay has drafted throughout the previous 16 drafts for AR (2006-2021). 

Any QB would be pissed the fk off and so would any FAN (within an offensive driven league).

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think he actually should retire.  He's made a ton of money, has a ring, going into the HOF.  He's playing a high risk position for concussion and he's not getting any younger.

Going out a year or two early vs a year or a game to late is a very smart move.  The fact that he hates the Green Bay management and he and his wife no longer want to spend anymore time living in Green Bay is icing on the cake.

The guy has a long life ahead of him with plenty of earning power out of football.  Nothing wrong with going out healthy and with a great future out of football.

This idea that 1 or 2 more years of NFL football is to good to give up is insane.  The guy might live with reasonably good health into his 80's or even 90's.  That's means he will live a majority of his adult life without NFL football.  

He should retire.  It's the smart move for him, his wife and their future.

He a football player.  He doesnt think about health when hes perfectly healthy.  And I'd bet he doesnt fear getting injured.  Its why pro athletes at that level are at that level, they are driven much more than fans who think someone all of 38 should retire 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Since dating back to 2005 the Packers throughout 16 drafts has only drafted him two 1st round offensive players and hasn't drafted a 1st round player in 10+ years and that is absolutely criminal (disgusting). 

Our Jets of 2021 just drafted as many 1st round offensive players (2) as Green Bay has drafted throughout the previous 16 drafts for AR (2006-2021). 

Any QB would be pissed the fk off and so would any FAN (within an offensive driven league).

Thats well and good.  But guess what, since 2005 the Packers have had offenses that are much better than their defenses.  The GM is trying to build a team, not draft players the QB wants.  Its an offense driven league, a QB driven league and Rodgers is an all time great, its easy to see why they keep trying to build a D. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He absolutely destroyed Tampa Bay last year during the NFC Championship Game too and 100x out played Tom Brady while going 33/48 (68.7%), 346 passing yards, 3 TDs/1 INT and a QB Rating of 101.6. 

Brady threw 3 freaking INTs and GB got absolutely screwed by the refs who wanted to see Brady in another SB; it was disgusting.

Teams win and lose, not just a QB.  Vinny threw for 356 yards against Denver, Elway threw for 170 and lost.  Sanchez threw for 100 whole yards and beat Rivers who threw for just under 300.  Happens because its more than just which QB has the better stats at the end of the day

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats well and good.  But guess what, since 2005 the Packers have had offenses that are much better than their defenses.  The GM is trying to build a team, not draft players the QB wants.  Its an offense driven league, a QB driven league and Rodgers is an all time great, its easy to see why they keep trying to build a D. 

 

That's false because GB keeps on drafting defensive BUSTS instead of giving Rodgers help especially on the O-Line (sacked 5x vs TB because of an atrocious O-Line). 

There have been great QBs dating back to the 1980's and I bet you can not name we 1 team (outside of GB) who've only drafted two 1st round (offensive) players throughout a 16 year span....

1.) 

I bet you can't name me ONE TEAM. 

You can't, can you? 

PS: The joke is now on Green Bay because now Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams BOTH want out 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

That's false because GB keeps on drafting defensive BUSTS instead of giving Rodgers help especially on the O-Line (sacked 5x vs TB because of an atrocious O-Line). 

There have been great QBs dating back to the 1980's and I bet you can not name we 1 team (outside of GB) who've only drafted two 1st round (offensive) players throughout a 16 year span....

1.) 

I bet you can't name me ONE TEAM. 

You can't, can you? 

PS: The joke is now on Green Bay because now Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams BOTH want out 🤣

And if you draft a bust on D and the D is the reason you stall you never draft D again?  

I could care less who drafted who going back to the 80's.  We're talking GB in the 2000's.  Their offense isnt what has held them back.

I would hold off on that 🤣 until both or either are gone.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Interesting interview.

 

 

Thanks for posting this - it sounds completely reasonable.  I think the only reason Rodgers is effing with the Packers is they are just not being honest about their actions or intentions in the way they are building the roster.  Rodgers is a bit smarter and more talented than Farve.  He has money and a future.  I'm sure he would like to play again, but not for this team.  I don't think this man plays another down for this team.  And honestly, good for him.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Two quarterbacks who people consider some of the best to ever play the game, Dan Marino and Aaron Rodgers, will end up retiring with a combined 2 Super Bowl appearances and a 1-1 record. lol Geez!

 

It’s a team sport. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

It’s a team sport. 

Yup and he's a 1x SB MVP and that's awesome considering the fact our Jets Franchise and fan base hasn't withissed a single SB appearance dating back to the 1968 season (52 years and counting).

He's also a 3x league M.V.P (our Jets have never once had an NFL MVP). 

NYJ fans "making fun of Aaron Rodgers" is nuts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Rodgers can't even let Brett Favre keep the title of Best Drama Queen in Packers history.  Talk about being competitive.

They've only drafted two 1st round offensive players since 2006 throughout the previous 16 years and have also drafted him 0 1st round offensive picks throughout the previous 10+ years. 

He's sick tired of it and was sacked 5x during the NFC Championship Game last year due to an atrocious and makeshift O-line and he's sick and tired of GB's front office ignoring O-Line/WR/RB/TE because they've never once drafted him a 1st round LG/C/RG and/or WR/RB/TE. 

That's criminal.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Good, the most overrated star in the league as far as the praise he got vs being held accountable for lack of overall success.

I don’t know if overrated is the right word but it’s clear he needs some good players to win.  He’s the focal point so he gets credit for the wins. Somehow he also deflects the blame when he loses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If he is retiring, I gotta think this is more of a Carson Palmer retirement, where he wanted out of Cincy so bad he was willing to "retire" to get his way. 

We'll see 

Where would he go? You gotta think he wants one of the western or California teams and those slots are taken. The only remotely vulnerable one is Carr with the raiders.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Year after year, Dolphins' fans would sing the same tune:  "This is Marino's Year!"   Back in the good ol' usenet days.  @SAR I

  There are several of the old usenet crew here ...  @More Cowbell 

We were doing this before some of you were born.

speaking of usenet... where is Bob Jensen?  I though I saw him post here a while back.  Or was that in that other Jets ex-message board..  you know...  the one that died holding a bounced check from scout and a bag of wet emails..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rodgers is playing chicken through the media, but the truth is...he is not retiring...and GB isnt budging.

I do not see anyone as competetive as him missing out on one of his last few years in the league. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Beer and Cheese Pairing: Tips for Pairing Curds & Hops

Never........

Wrong cheese.  Cheese curds and a Spotted Cow.  Now, this the Green Bay's charm:

Wisconsin Fried Cheese Curds - YouTube

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If he is retiring, I gotta think this is more of a Carson Palmer retirement, where he wanted out of Cincy so bad he was willing to "retire" to get his way. 

We'll see 

Yup.  Agreed.  According to reports, he has been working out all offseason.  If he planned on retiring from the NFL, he would not work out.  Trying to force a trade, and it might work.  As long as the drama does not effect us, it does not really matter.    But if they do trade him, just keep him out of our Division.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Agreed.  According to reports, he has been working out all offseason.  If he planned on retiring from the NFL, he would not work out.  Trying to force a trade, and it might work.  As long as the drama does not effect us, it does not really matter.    But if they do trade him, just keep him out of our Division.

It's going to be extremely difficult for the Packers to find a team who's willing to trade for Aaron Rodgers and not only because of his massive contact but also because of his age (37). 

He's still absolute greatness imo but he's turning 38 in December and how much is a team willing to give up in order to trade for a 38 year old QB with $64,700,000 due over the next 3 years? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...