Linebacker Roles in Saleh/ Ulbrich 4-3 System

1 minute ago, freestater said:

Good read. Thanks for sharing. 

Needed a break from vaccination discussion. Obviously it appears that it is Sherwood’s job to lose. 40% of snaps at Will and I’m sure he’ll get additional snaps in a 4-2-5 look.

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Needed a break from vaccination discussion. Obviously it appears that it is Sherwood’s job to lose. 40% of snaps at Will and I’m sure he’ll get additional snaps in a 4-2-5 look.

LaMarcus Joyner and him in the box could be a very interesting duo. There are some real boom/bust prospects in this middle of the D. I really hope Joyner can get his old form back after the raiders tried to convert him to CB.

• Upvote 2

I am not worried about Jet LB play really-that will equate to run and short pass defense.  

I am worried when the other QB passes more than 10 yards. 

21 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am not worried about Jet LB play really-that will equate to run and short pass defense.  

I am worried when the other QB passes more than 10 yards. 

image.thumb.png.8493b45d884872a5dc1d7b3988cb134e.png

So the real concern, I see, is that this defense may be vulnerable if a big back (220 lbs.+ like Derrick Henry) breaks into the 2nd level and just runs over the small and inexperienced secondary. 

The diminutive size of our LBers and secondary will place a lot of pressure on the DLine to hold opposing running games from reaching that 2nd level. Our best unit will be tested constantly this season as the younger back half of the defense adjusts to a new scheme 

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I disagree. 

EjaZCIiWAAAr_gQ.thumb.jpg.afd6b90f22a1da6b2fdc19085af6f0c2.jpg

amt-07a1f3c6c16595aec5396e96e2186f0ff3500047-HN-6-186-Jets.thumb.jpg.a999c7721a5883514a481fa8731b05dd.jpg

Hamsah Nasirildeen was the kid who was getting all the 1st team reps during both OTAs and Mini-camp (not Sherwood). 

And the only reason why Nasirildeen didn't go first round was because of his ACL injury (now fully recovered from) and Jamien Sherwood unlike Hamsah Nasirildeen was never considered as a 1st round talent and my dude from FSU in Hamsah Nasirildeen has NCAA football production that completely blows away the statistical production of Jamien Sherwood.

This is Nasirildeen's job to lose. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't call Monte Kiffin  legendary. The only reason that corny cover 2 schemed worked was because of a DL beast named Warren Sapp who collapsed the middle of the OL on every play even when doubled teamed...which he was on almost every play. Even he called Kiffin underrated and went as far as to mentioned everyone in his HOF speech, including the waterboy, as a passive aggressive shot at Kiffin to let everyone know he had nothing to do with his success. So it does't matter that much who the Jets' linebackers are in this scheme if the DL can't cause havoc on their own.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, STLuLu said:

I wouldn't call Monte Kiffin  legendary. The only reason that corny cover 2 schemed worked was because of a DL beast named Warren Sapp who collapsed the middle of the OL on every play even when doubled teamed...which he was on almost every play. Even he called Kiffin underrated and went as far as to mentioned everyone in his HOF speech, including the waterboy, as a passive aggressive shot at Kiffin to let everyone know he had nothing to do with his success. So it does't matter that much who the Jets' linebackers are in this scheme if the DL can't cause havoc on their own.

That 2002 Buccaneers defense was more than just Warren Sapp and I know because I live in Tampa Bay and mostly all my friends are Buccaneers fans. 

Sapp had 7.5 sacks and Simeon Rice had 15.5 sacks so let's not forget to mention Rice on the D-Line.

HOF Derrick Brooks was a freak of nature and the greatest Buccaneers player of All-Time and led that defense with 118 tackles. And you'll never find a top 100, top 10 or top 5 TB list without Derrick Brooks #1 on it. 

And their secondary was loaded and led by hard hitting John Lynch and an awesome CB in Ronde Barber and also Superbowl MVP Dexter Jackson. 

The most understand Buccaneers player was MLB Shelton Quarles who made a 2002 Pro Bowl because those Buccaneers fans loved him and he ranked 2nd in team tackles with 113 and then the next 4 seasons combined for 300 tackles etc.

Sapp was A++ awesome but it was more than Sapp who led that great defense to the SB and still to this day you can't go to a TB game without seeing jerseys of Sapp, Brooks, Lynch, Rice, Barber and also Warrick Dunn, Keyshawn and A-Train Mike Alstott.

That 2002 team was super special and I hated it because while my Jets got 2nd round eliminated I had to watch my Buccaneers friends and neighborhood celebrate one of the greatest D's of All-Time and lost a friendly $20 bet against my friend because we made a bet in HS 1999 on which team Jets/Bucs would win the SB and now he's up 2-0 on me.

Sapp was greatness but don't ignore everyone else my dude.

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

That 2002 Buccaneers defense was more than just Warren Sapp and I know because I live in Tampa Bay and mostly all my friends are Buccaneers fans. 

Sapp had 7.5 sacks and Simeon Rice had 15.5 sacks so let's not forget to mention Rice on the D-Line.

HOF Derrick Brooks was a freak of nature and the greatest Buccaneers player of All-Time and led that defense with 118 tackles. And you'll never find a top 100, top 10 or top 5 TB list without Derrick Brooks #1 on it. 

And their secondary was loaded and led by hard hitting John Lynch and an awesome CB in Ronde Barber and also Superbowl MVP Dexter Jackson. 

The most understand Buccaneers player was MLB Shelton Quarles who made a 2002 Pro Bowl because those Buccaneers fans loved him and he ranked 2nd in team tackles with 113 and then the next 4 seasons combined for 300 tackles etc.

Sapp was A++ awesome but it was more than Sapp who led that great defense to the SB and still to this day you can't go to a TB game without seeing jerseys of Sapp, Brooks, Lynch, Rice, Barber and also Warrick Dunn, Keyshawn and A-Train Mike Alstott.

That 2002 team was super special and I hated it because while my Jets got 2nd round eliminated I had to watch my Buccaneers friends and neighborhood celebrate one of the greatest D's of All-Time and lost a friendly $20 bet against my friend because we made a bet in HS 1999 on which team Jets/Bucs would win the SB and now he's up 2-0 on me.

Sapp was greatness but don't ignore everyone else my dude.

I hear you. Thanks for the rundown but I'm well aware of all those other players. I left them out on purpose for two reasons: first I didn't want a lengthy post, and second none of those players on defense would have had the careers they all had without Sapp. The only reason why Rice had all those sacks was because of Sapp. The only reason Brooks was able to rome around the field doing whatever he wanted to do was because of Sapp. Don't even get me started on Lynch. Every hit he made was illegal so he couldn't play in todays NFL.

I think before anyone forms an opinion in the "sign KJ Wright?" thread, they should really read this article. Great explanation of the LB roles of our new defense and the fact that you'd be paying Wright to fill a position that would have him on the field MAYBE 30% of the time (Not to mention keeping Sherwood or Nas off the field, which is my major issue with a signing like that). Also, I could he wrong, but I thought KJ plays more of Davis role as SAM rather than WILL... 

On 7/25/2021 at 12:43 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

I disagree. 

EjaZCIiWAAAr_gQ.thumb.jpg.afd6b90f22a1da6b2fdc19085af6f0c2.jpg

amt-07a1f3c6c16595aec5396e96e2186f0ff3500047-HN-6-186-Jets.thumb.jpg.a999c7721a5883514a481fa8731b05dd.jpg

Hamsah Nasirildeen was the kid who was getting all the 1st team reps during both OTAs and Mini-camp (not Sherwood). 

And the only reason why Nasirildeen didn't go first round was because of his ACL injury (now fully recovered from) and Jamien Sherwood unlike Hamsah Nasirildeen was never considered as a 1st round talent and my dude from FSU in Hamsah Nasirildeen has NCAA football production that completely blows away the statistical production of Jamien Sherwood.

This is Nasirildeen's job to lose. 

Why do you think the Jets drafted Sherwood first? It looks like they were both drafted to fill the same exact roll/position. If Nas was a 1st round talent, then he was already an insane steal at 5th/146ovr but they drafter Sherwood. Even then they drafted MCII and Pinnock before they took Nas some 40+ picks later in the 6th. 

Not arguing with you re Nas, I'm high on him and excited to see him on the field too. I've also been giving him a lot more attention than Sherwood which is what's made me ask myself the question above. 

I don't think 1 over the other is nearly the lock you're making it to be (just my opinion - I know you'll never change yours lmao). The Jets were clearly higher on Sherwood than Nas, for whatever the reason at the time. If that wasn't true you don't take Sherwood first and you definitely don't wait until the 6th to take a "should have been a 1st rd pick". 

I wouldn't sleep on Sherwood and that's not a knock on Nas at all - That's a very good thing for our D. If both of them become players, the flexibility for our D packages is HUGE. Getting them both on the field at the same time could be tough to play against. I'm imagining some kind of big nickel package where one plays a 3rd safety while the other lines up next to Mosley as the 2nd LB. That could be a great look against NE's 2TE packages. Physical aggressive tacklers that won't leave us overly vulnerable against the run while at the same time being big, quick guys in coverage that (hopefully?) can handle TEs

• Upvote 1