Steven Nelson

I can't stand these types of arguments. Just because Trumaine Johnson busted has nothing to do with other NFL players. 
That's like me saying because Sanchez and Sam busted we should hold it against Zach Wilson and/or just because Fant busted as a FA we shouldn't have signed Morgan Moses etc. 
I'm not upset at all about not landing Nelson but I can't comprehend how Trumaine has anything to do with Nelson (or any other player) especially since Nelson is a 1 year rental and Johnson was a poison contract...
It was just a comparative example, it's not a hard and fast rule. In this case it's applicable.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

I'm not stressing over it but the people on here acting like we shouldn't have signed him are just being homers.  1yr 4mil while we sit on 25 mil in cap and 70+ mil next year? I get the frustration in some 
I think most people are saying they can take it or leave it. No big deal that we didn't sign him.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

10 hours ago, SR24 said:

I'm not stressing over it but the people on here acting like we shouldn't have signed him are just being homers.  1yr 4mil while we sit on 25 mil in cap and 70+ mil next year? I get the frustration in some 

Like kids in a toy store there has never been a player available that the majority didn't want to sign..:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ncjetman said:

have some optimism for the offense this year accepting there will be growing pains - the defense however probably will be a disaster on the back end. unless the pass rush is ferocious and top level effective on every passing down it’s going to be a long year for the d

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

What will be key is - if and when the back end does get torched, is it something that was a correctable mistake (blown coverage) or were the players not up to the job (e.g. having a slow guy try to run stride for stride with a burner WR). 

If you can see what is happening early enough you can try to correct it so that the unit improves as the year goes on. This is a developmental year, not a playoffs-or-bust situation. If we're still seeing the same issues end of season then either (a) the coaching isn't working or (b) the players aren't up to the job physically / mentally. Then you can plan the offseason accordingly.

12 hours ago, JiFapono said:

That's fine but how does signing a 28 year CB to a 1 year deal hurt this foundational rebuild?

Because it would take reps and playing time away from the kids they’re trying to coach up. They want to build thru the draft, and part of that requires developing the players you’ve drafted. I think, also, that they have a lot of confidence in the system that they’re installing, and believe the guys they have can handle the job. The biggest concern here is a lack of experience, but the only way they’re going to get experience is by getting on the field. It’s gonna be baptism by fire for these guys and that’s okay because they’re building for the future. Next year, if they feel they can compete but are lacking at the CB spot still, they can do something more aggressive at the position. The focus this year is quite clearly to develop the QB first, the offense second, and the defense third. But if they can get solid CB play from late picks and UDFAs, they’ll be ahead of the curve moving forward. Only way to do that is to play them. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slats said:

Because it would take reps and playing time away from the kids they’re trying to coach up. They want to build thru the draft, and part of that requires developing the players you’ve drafted. I think, also, that they have a lot of confidence in the system that they’re installing, and believe the guys they have can handle the job. The biggest concern here is a lack of experience, but the only way they’re going to get experience is by getting on the field. It’s gonna be baptism by fire for these guys and that’s okay because they’re building for the future. Next year, if they feel they can compete but are lacking at the CB spot still, they can do something more aggressive at the position. The focus this year is quite clearly to develop the QB first, the offense second, and the defense third. But if they can get solid CB play from late picks and UDFAs, they’ll be ahead of the curve moving forward. Only way to do that is to play them. 

Fair.  I just dont see adding 1 CB as creating this huge burden of how to get these guys reps.  More often then not, they will have 3-4 on the field.  As far as practice goes, plenty of reps to go around, it's CB.   That's not even a challenge.  Dont get me wrong, I understand the logic but I also think there is value in having someone on the field to help these guys as well.  And then other piece is, you just went out and spent this money on Carl Lawson who could clearly benefit from corners holding a bit longer in coverage.   Then you considered the rest of your pass rush is being generated from the line, just not sure how well you can assess each player when your corners are totally liabilities.  As we know, a CB's ability to cover can change outcomes in a blink of an eye and if we're getting beat up and down the field easily all season long, doesnt that in turn, put more pressure on this offense?  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Fair.  I just dont see adding 1 CB as creating this huge burden of how to get these guys reps.  More often then not, they will have 3-4 on the field.  As far as practice goes, plenty of reps to go around, it's CB.   That's not even a challenge.  Dont get me wrong, I understand the logic but I also think there is value in having someone on the field to help these guys as well.  And then other piece is, you just went out and spent this money on Carl Lawson who could clearly benefit from corners holding a bit longer in coverage.   Then you considered the rest of your pass rush is being generated from the line, just not sure how well you can assess each player when your corners are totally liabilities.  As we know, a CB's ability to cover can change outcomes in a blink of an eye and if we're getting beat up and down the field easily all season long, doesnt that in turn, put more pressure on this offense?  

All This ^^^

27 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The pressure’s on the front four by design. That’s where they spent their money on defense by design. The expectation is that they’ll disrupt the passer enough that the pressure will be off the young CBs. Teams that run this defense generally don’t put the big resources in the secondary. They look for these bigger, longer guys who they then coach up in their primarily zone system. I think you’ll see more of the same next year. I could see them drafting an Edge and/or a S/MLB in the first couple rounds, but the secondary will continue to be secondary. Especially if they hit on a couple of these youngsters. 

The other big factor is that this is the installation year. Rookie coaches and rookie players everywhere, on what could wind up being the youngest team in the league. I think it’s part of the culture they’re trying to instill by trusting these late picks and UDFAs to do their jobs. It’s demonstrating confidence in both the players and the system itself. Going forward, I don’t know what that one leftover vet CB really brings to a developing team, whereas developing a couple of these kids into cover 3 CBs could pay off in a huge way. There’s always some pressure to win, but I think that’s also secondary this year. That’s why I’m so chill about it; my expectations this year are low as far as wins go. I just wanna see a more entertaining product on the field that gets better as the season goes on. 

This is pretty standard board stuff.  We can save money with this scheme on ________________ (fill in the blank).  Then when we look at the roster and there are nothing but cheap unknowns there the board gets antsy and jumps at every free agent available to STB. If you run a 3-4 where you can save money on DEs by running tweener DTs, you don't spend big there.  If you think you can save money at RB, you save money at RB.  If you think you can save money on interior OL you can try that.  If you can save money at OLB by running tweener safeties, that is what you do.  If you are running a D that is not predicated on cover man corners, you don't waste money on cover man corners.

The key is in talent evaluation.  They know what they need.  They have to find it.  The team has guys that have started at CB.  Bless Austin played 60% of the snaps last year.  Hall played 48%, Jackson 40% and Guidry 15%.  Pierre Desir, Trumaine Johnson and Quincy Wilson had better pedigrees but were worse players.  There is no reason to avoid looking at the kids now.  Particularly when they drafted Pinnock, Carter and Echols and appear to be in love with Dunn.  

• Upvote 1