So what are the boards rules on Covid stuff this season?

25 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Is it this, Or do the Mods just shut down discussion depending on which way they lean? Genuinely curious? 

The problem is people have a hard time giving their opinions without throwing insults in the other direction...this thread has about 10 post and about five of them include insults.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, undertow said:

The problem is acting like a grown man is considered toxic masculinity these days....the whole country has been feminized. 

I will never understand shying away from difficult conversation. If you can be mature of enough to handle a mature topic , people will ignore you anyway.  How can you ever solve a problem?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Is there a way to allow covid threads on the main forum and ban individual posters from threads who break the politics rule? Because this is getting serious again. Frank Reich just tested positive and is going into quarantine. DeAndre Hopkins and others are pissed about possible vaccine mandates. It’s the biggest story in the league by a wide margin and I’m sure the Jets will be affected at some point, even if it involves one of our opponents or division rivals.

I don't get it.  If you feel compeled to talk about this why not just go to the clubs the board has provided.  IMO the vast majority of the board doesn't want to talk, or read  about it here.

I know I don't

18 minutes ago, slats said:

Honestly? This is a little insulting. I think we all do our best to keep the conversations going and keep to the couple of rules that we have here. We want no politics here on the main board. It’s pretty simple to enforce without any bias. 

Was just a question, I don't know the mods here particularly well so don't really how quick the trigger finger to ban a discussion you guys disagree with. I think we can all agree politics overall just creates unhealthy discussions and shouldn't be on a football forum. 

• Upvote 2

I for one love discussions where 90% of the participants on either side of the debate don't know nearly as much as they think they do, but are easily angered about it.

Wait a minute, Covid discussions are really just Sam Darnold discussions wrapped in a different package.  

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is exactly the problem. 

A segment of our population have turned what isn't and shouldn't be a political issue into one of the most divisive political issues of recent memory. 

A. it's not 100% nor has anyone ever said it was 100%, 

B. for vaccines to truly work on the macro scale, a large % of the population has to get them, and

C. when we don't reach that goal, you get more and more virulent variant forms, faster, as it works through the unvaccinated population and mutates, which ultimately can/will diminish the effectiveness of the existing vaccine(s) putting the vaccinated at more risk again of the most severe symptoms.

re C the variants can occur as the virus mutates to survive against the vaccines.
please consider the following concepts:

Just as antibiotics breed resistance in bacteria, vaccines put evolutionary pressure on viruses to speed up mutations and create more virulent and dangerous variants

Viruses mutate all the time, and if you have a vaccine that doesn’t block infection completely, then the virus will mutate to evade the immune response within that person. That is one of the distinct features of the COVID shots — they’re not designed to block infection. They allow infection to occur and at best lessen the symptoms of that infection

In an unvaccinated person, the virus does not encounter the same evolutionary pressure to mutate into something stronger. So, if SARS-CoV-2 does end up mutating into more lethal strains, then mass vaccination is the most likely driver

So far, SARS-CoV-2 variants are at most 0.3% different from the original Wuhan virus. Such minor variation means the virus will not present itself as a new virus. If you’ve recovered from COVID-19, your immune system will still recognize it

37 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Sure, If the mods sre shutting down threads just based on differing opinions tho seems a little ridiculous. I think for the most part we just all wanna shoot the sh*t about football but I mean this is supposed to be an open forum after all

This is where you're mistaken. This is only a forum for discussing things I agree with. I disagree with the non-phonetic spelling of vakseenz, so we're very strict on the subject. 

But really the mistake is that this is not an open forum (or not a totally open one, anyway). An open forum would allow discussions about any/all things. That isn't this website, and it isn't without good reason, whether or not you find that to be ridiculous. The good news is there are at least 5 or 6 other sites on the www that report on and/or discuss these subjects.

@slats put it as politely and as well as possible. The group has demonstrated, repeatedly, that it's incapable of discussing these things in a civil fashion. That's the only position being taken. 

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is where you're mistaken. This is only a forum for discussing things I agree with. I disagree with the non-phonetic spelling of vakseenz, so we're very strict on the subject. 

But really the mistake is that this is not an open forum (or not a totally open one, anyway). An open forum would allow discussions about any/all things. That isn't this website, and it isn't without good reason, whether or not you find that to be ridiculous. The good news is there are at least 5 or 6 other sites on the www that report on and/or discuss these subjects.

@slats put it as politely and as well as possible. The group has demonstrated, repeatedly, that it's incapable of discussing these things in a civil fashion. That's the only position being taken. 

Well said Sperm man. 

Sports is great because we sing the National Anthem together and then we escape real life of reality. 

You think I'm disliked now as a sports fan? Create a separate forum about politics and watch how DWC begins to be PERSONALLY attacked. These guys haven't seen nothing yet. 

Thnx you Sperm and @ Mods for not encouraging political content because I come here for the Jets and sometimes Knicks and not for CNN and Fox updates from fake and judgemental politicians. 

???

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

So what is the league going to do about IND with this story?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colts-coach-frank-reich-will-miss-start-of-training-camp-after-testing-positive-for-covid-19/

Kind of hurts the narrative doesn't it

I don’t think it hurts the narrative or whatever. We know vaccinated people can test positive. If they are asymptomatic do they have to quarantine etc? Pre covid asymptomatic was basically a synonym for healthy. If the league is going to have the same rules for positive tests for vaxed/not vaxed this is going to be a long season. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What's your thoughts on the pronunciation of Genghis Khan. I'm not a fan of the J-people.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

No go zone or what?

The league is testing vaccinated players and personnel, so it’s going to be a factor, and potentially even more of a factor than last year because the restrictions have basically been lifted outside of NFL premises. I feel like it’s likely more games get cancelled this season than last.

**** Covid!

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Well said Sperm man. 

Sports is great because we sing the National Anthem together and then we escape real life of reality. 

You think I'm disliked now as a sports fan? Create a separate forum about politics and watch how DWC begins to be PERSONALLY attacked. These guys haven't seen nothing yet. 

Thnx you Sperm and @ Mods for not encouraging political content

???

I just had to edit this post after deleting your prior one. Thumbs-upping my post doesn't give you tacit permission to discuss which political aspects you like or dislike, right as you "agree" with denying the same for others.

I'm glad you agree with the policy - in theory, I suppose - but stopping at a thumbs-up would've sufficed here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What's your thoughts on the pronunciation of Genghis Khan. I'm not a fan of the J-people.

I was mulling over 3 replies to this post:

1. People are allowed to worship how they please whether you're a fan of them or not.

2. Do you like playing that game of stacking and re-stacking a little wooden block tower in hopes it doesn't fall?

3. Don't get me started. Soft-G people are the worst. 

And then realized I should've just up-repped your post & left it at that, like I just instructed DWC to do. :)  

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I was mulling over 3 replies to this post:

1. People are allowed to worship how they please whether you're a fan of them or not.

2. Do you like playing that game of stacking and re-stacking a little wooden block tower in hopes it doesn't fall?

3. Don't get me started. Soft-G people are the worst. 

And then realized I should've just up-repped your post & left it at that, like I just instructed DWC to do. :)  

My theory is that the Jenghis people are probably the type that scotch tape unframed posters to their walls.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, undertow said:

The problem is people have a hard time giving their opinions without throwing insults in the other direction...this thread has about 10 post and about five of them include insults.

That's true on lots of topics that have nothing to do with politics.  There are conversations about football where people get very heated defending their positions.  I assume it's a heat of the moment thing and don't take it persnally.  I have reengaged here with people who I have pissed off and who piss me off as if nothing has happened.  Turns out guys you thought you couldn't get along with are extremely open to reengaging.  That's one of the positive things about this board.  The guy who pissed you off yesterday is in the foxhole with you today.

The NFL and the NY Jets have just established rules on Covid that treat unvacinated players differently than vaccinated players when it comes to consequences for positive tests.

It's political and it's NFL and Jets news and will impact the team and the league.      Theres a clear intersection between Covid, Politics and the NY Jets on this topic.   I think the mods know this and like the NFL are walking the fence.

• Upvote 1

Vaccination rates, status, protocols and the impact positive tests have on a team are going to be a big part of NFL football. I think the prohibition on discussing this topic is inane.  It will be near impossible to discuss football with season without talking about vaccines.   My guess is that it becomes almost moot because the NFL is going to make life very difficult for the unvaccinated.  By September, the concept of an unvaccinated player will be relatively rare.  

• Upvote 1

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 2h

Just this month, 13 NFL staffers and four players, including one of each this weekend, have tested positive for COVID despite being vaccinated, per sources. NFL and NFLPA have been in discussions to increase testing cadence for vaccinated staff and players as an extra precaution.

Huh, how did that happen?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Just this month, 13 NFL staffers and four players, including one of each this weekend, have tested positive for COVID despite being vaccinated, per sources. NFL and NFLPA have been in discussions to increase testing cadence for vaccinated staff and players as an extra precaution.

Moderna and Pfizer are 90% effective. Johnson & Johnson is 67% effective. Viruses mutate. That along with a less than 100% efficacy rate is how vaccinated people get infected. The vaccine was NEVER said to have been 100% effective, and it was repeated that you could still get COVID after getting the vaccine. 

• Haha 1

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

A guy running for re-election for a major position also said that.

Ive tested positive 2x over 1 year apart with no symptoms at all either time. Only reason I was tested was because I was around someone else who tested positive, also with no symptoms. Never developed any symptoms either time

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

I can't say how much I appreciate your contributions to the board.  I cannot say that enough.  However, this post and your previous post about the "narrative" seem to be a large part of the issue right now surrounding this topic.

Are you really not aware that this is still possible to test positive even after vaccination?  Or what exactly are you implying here?  Because to the general passer by, it appears you are implying that you aren't aware the vaccine doesn't completely eliminate the ability to catch the virus or that it somehow diminishes the usefulness of the vaccine because of that fact.  

So then one would have to wonder what narrative you are questioning to begin with. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I just had to edit this post after deleting your prior one. Thumbs-upping my post doesn't give you tacit permission to discuss which political aspects you like or dislike, right as you "agree" with denying the same for others.

I'm glad you agree with the policy - in theory, I suppose - but stopping at a thumbs-up would've sufficed here. 

This reminds me of when Ricky Bobby though he could say whatever he wanted about his boss as long as he said with all due respect first

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Moderna and Pfizer are 90% effective. Johnson & Johnson is 67% effective. Viruses mutate. That along with a less than 100% efficacy rate is how vaccinated people get infected. The vaccine was NEVER said to have been 100% effective, and it was repeated that you could still get COVID after getting the vaccine. 

Actually people did say it would be 100 percent effective including the president in a town hall on CNN...this is part of the problem with covid as a whole is the mixed messaging.

• Upvote 1