Blake Bortles

Blake Bortles  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Blake Bortles

• yay
    • no yay

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What about matt moore?

He's actually a good one. Career .500 record (16-16). 60.1% completion percentage. 49 TDs/36 INTs and a respectable QB Rating for a backup of 82.8 and also played really good during his 1 playoff game.

Hard to believe he's already turning 37 years old in a couple of days though because it feels like yesterday when he first came into the league. 

He'd be my #1 choice as a veteran QB but I'd much rather roll the dice on James Morgan and develop him into a quality backup who can one day give us a 2nd round draft pick in return which is why I'm hoping James Morgan has an awesome preseason showing.

And the same goes for Mike White; I rather develop our own backups rather than looking for more career losers like Fitzpatrick and McCown. 

We dont need a veteran to "help" Zach, what we do need is a competent player to come in and play 2-3 games if he gets injured.

I have zero faith in Mike White or Morgan as we stand today.  White has actually played a lot of preseason snaps with Dallas and was basically awful in all of them.  Morgan has raw ability, and maybe the coaches see something that we havent, which is why they havent signed anyone, but it would be a big surprise if he is ready to play in regular season games.

Bortles has won regular season games and could at least hold down the fort for a few games if necessary.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, BCJet said:

We dont need a veteran to "help" Zach, what we do need is a competent player to come in and play 2-3 games if he gets injured.

Define competent.

Then tell us how you know Morgan isn't competent, given you've not seen him play in preseason yet.

I have zero faith in Mike White or Morgan as we stand today.

And what is Saleh and JD do have faith in them?

Whose opinion should we concern ourselves with, your or theirs?

Morgan has raw ability, and maybe the coaches see something that we havent....

What have you seen, exactly? 

He hasn't played a snap in a game in the NFL, preseason or otherwise. 

So what is the "what we've seen" that you're referencing here?

.....which is why they havent signed anyone, but it would be a big surprise if he is ready to play in regular season games.

Why would it be a surprise?  Young players are able to hold a clipboard and/or start a game or two all the time.

Bortles has won regular season games and could at least hold down the fort for a few games if necessary.  

To what end, exactly?  Too maybe (stress maybe) go 1-3 instead of 0-4 in a lost season, and reduce our draft pick?

What is the value you're seeing here, especially in a season (like 2021) where we are not going to compete for the playoffs/Super Bowl.

Help me understand why you think this is so vital?

Foles is the guy. Has proven to be an ideal backup who can do the job in short bursts.

Unless Morgan has came on leaps and bounds then yes, we definitely need someone. It would be inexcusable to have another Luke Falk situation if Zach misses a couple of games. 

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Define competent.

Then tell us how you know Morgan isn't competent, given you've not seen him play in preseason yet.

Why would it be a surprise?  Young players are able to hold a clipboard and/or start a game or two all the time.

To what end, exactly?  Too maybe (stress maybe) go 1-3 instead of 0-4 in a lost season, and reduce our draft pick?

What is the value you're seeing here, especially in a season (like 2021) where we are not going to compete for the playoffs/Super Bowl.

First off, not sure where you think you are, but this is a fan message board - where we give OUR OPINIONS, so if you dont want to concern yourself with my opinion stop reading the board.  I didnt write the post hoping that Saleh would read it and then sign bortles.

In answer to your other questions, I havent SEEN anything because Morgan hasnt taken a snap of live football since his bowl game.  I clearly stated its possible the organization has seen something in practice that we havent since again, he hasnt played a snap that a single fan has seen.

And I guess we will keep the "lose games for a draft pick" thing going on here, but if this team is good enough to fight for a wild card spot, we would want someone who can go 1-3 instead of 0-4.

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Define competent.

Strange take for a guy that wanted to cut Wolford simply because he hadn't heard of him. 

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

First off, not sure where you think you are, but this is a fan message board - where we give OUR OPINIONS, so if you dont want to concern yourself with my opinion stop reading the board. 

Which is why I asked you a number of questions, to solicit your opinions in more detail.

I didnt write the post hoping that Saleh would read it and then sign bortles.

My opinion is maybe Fans like yourself need to have more patience and faith in our new Coach, at least till he proves that faith is misplaced.  I'm sure if he thinks Morgan sucks, he'll ask JD to get him a better backup.

In answer to your other questions, I havent SEEN anything because Morgan hasnt taken a snap of live football since his bowl game.  I clearly stated its possible the organization has seen something in practice that we havent since again, he hasnt played a snap that a single fan has seen.

So we agree, Morgan could be a perfectly adequate backup QB, we (fans) simply will  have to wait and see what camp and preseason brings.  The lack of movement by the team seems to indicate they want to wait and see as well.  

And I guess we will keep the "lose games for a draft pick" thing going on here, but if this team is good enough to fight for a wild card spot, we would want someone who can go 1-3 instead of 0-4.

This team is not good enough to fight for a Wildcard.

But if you think it is, at least the desire to sign an overpriced veteran backup QB makes more sense. 

With that said, I don't think a lifetime 24-49 loser QB like Bortles is the right route to "saving a Wilcard Season" if Wilson goes down, and I think even an unknown Morgan-type could perhaps manage a 1-2 type record if the team overall is good enough to be in a Wildcard competing spot, but yeah.

41 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Strange take for a guy that wanted to cut Wolford simply because he hadn't heard of him. 

Were you the guy back then who was completely obsessed with Wolford?  I'm going to guess you were.

I'll remind you, at the time I simply preferred giving a depth spot-shot to a different unknown (Davis Webb) over the AAF guy Wolford.  Clearly I was wrong, such as it is, in that Webb has done nothing, and is likely soon to be out of the league (he's Buffalo's #4 behind Fromm and Trubisky at current if I recall). 

Wolford is the Rams #2, played one game, and if I recall played pretty well (his team won, so that is something), even if he throw no TD's so based purely on that he seems to have been the better choice.  He's a #2, Davis is headed out, seems clear I was wrong.

With that said, that debate was "cheap young unknown vs. cheap young unknown".

This debate today is "cheap young unknown vs. costly older veteran proven loser"

Not exactly apples to apples.  

On 7/27/2021 at 5:08 PM, jetmex said:

So I guess he is better (or at least has experience) than we already have as QB2...

Thoughts? 

Theres a huge difference in experienced and being better.

What makes Bortles better than anyone, anywhere?   He sucks