Fant placed on reserve/COVID-19 list.

Just now, Jetscode1 said:

Hopefully, the sooner we can expect him back.  NFL gonna be crazy this year with the possibilities of forfeitures and the like.  

I wonder if they’ll allow for either an expanded roster or the ability to keep more players on the practice squad and do multiple call ups during the season.

• Upvote 1

If it is just Fant, and he does not pass it on to anybody else, not a big deal.  Give him a week or two to recover and he will be fine.  Just means Edoga and some other young guys will get a few extra reps in the early days of camp.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I wonder if they’ll allow for either an expanded roster or the ability to keep more players on the practice squad and do multiple call ups during the season.

I think they have same rules as last year.  16 man practice squads and 2 players can be brought up from PS to active roster each week.

Per ESPN, rules in effect this year:

The rules include:

• Expansion of practice squads to 16 players, including up to six who have more than two accrued seasons.
  • The ability to protect up to four practice squad players per week from being signed by other teams.
  • Elevation of up to two practice squad players to the active roster, without removing any current players, before 4 p.m. ET the day before a game.
  • Elevation of an additional practice squad player within 90 minutes before kickoff in the event of a late COVID-19 positive test result.
  • Players placed on injured reserve can return after three weeks, rather than six as in normal seasons.
  • Removal of the limit for how many players can be activated from injured reserve.
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think they have same rules as last year.  16 man practice squads and 2 players can be brought up from PS to active roster each week.

I hope that 16 man PS is still in place.  Looks to me like the Jets are going to have some tough cuts with the young guys.  

16 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I’d be curious to know if Fant had been vaccinated or not.

What’d be curious is, assuming he hadn’t and would have always refused (just for the sake of argument), post-infection and such a recent infection at that, is he now exempt from getting shots now, or if the league hadn’t considered & carved that out of their forfeit rule. 

We’re not getting into a deeper discussion about it than that here - we’ve seen how that’d go, and how quickly - and honestly I’m even reluctant to go this far. But I do wonder, purely in terms of the NFL game-forfeit rule and other mandates in place for those unvaccinated players.

• Upvote 4

Breakthrough infections remain very small among vaccinated people. However the delta variant is causing problems. 

there really isn’t definitive data right now, but

As you can see, new cases have risen only modestly among people over 65, suggesting that breakthrough infections are rare. “I think people who are vaccinated are not, on a population level, major contributors to the transmission of the disease,” Dr. David Dowdy, a Johns Hopkins University epidemiologist, told me.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What’d be curious is, assuming he hadn’t and would have always refused (just for the sake of argument), post-infection and such a recent infection at that, is he now exempt from getting shots now, or if the league hadn’t considered & carved that out of their forfeit rule. 

We’re not getting into a deeper discussion about it than that here - we’ve seen how that’d go, and how quickly - and honestly I’m even reluctant to go this far. But I do wonder, purely in terms of the NFL game-forfeit rule and other mandates in place for those unvaccinated players.

A natural infection doesn’t offer as broad protection as a vaccine does. 

Now, a new NIH-supported study shows that the answer to this question will vary based on how an individual’s antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 were generated: over the course of a naturally acquired infection or from a COVID-19 vaccine. The new evidence shows that protective antibodies generated in response to an mRNA vaccine will target a broader range of SARS-CoV-2 variants carrying “single letter” changes in a key portion of their spike proteincompared to antibodies acquired from an infection

non idea how the NFL will deal with this but I’m inclined to believe that they won’t use a natural infection as a sort of pass against getting vaccinated  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I was thinking the same thing. The league was very clear that the penalties for a positive player do not apply if that player was vaccinated. 

Regardless of what the coach or team says in public, anyone unvaccinated thats not a top tier player is going to have a very hard time and find themselves on the bubble. The league put in so many punative measures or "conditions" against unvaxed players, I really believe it'll take a lot for a team to risk keeping an unvaccinated player on the roster. If your team that causes a forfeit, you have to compensate the other team for their lost salary and revenue. That's huge!! If you're a special teams guy and not vaccinated, you're not making a team this year (imo). Hell, if you're the #2 guy on depth chart and not vaccinated there a good chance you won't make it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Larz said:

Breakthrough infections remain very small among vaccinated people. However the delta variant is causing problems. 

there really isn’t definitive data right now, but

As you can see, new cases have risen only modestly among people over 65, suggesting that breakthrough infections are rare. “I think people who are vaccinated are not, on a population level, major contributors to the transmission of the disease,” Dr. David Dowdy, a Johns Hopkins University epidemiologist, told me.

I have a co-worker who had COVID last January; after he recovered he was vaccinated in March and on Friday he found out that he had contracted the Delta variant…

Its getting bad with lots of people getting tested here in tampa to the point where they are running out of tests.  My kid just got back from camp and tested positive along with a ton of other kids.  He is doing better, just sucks.... still...

As of July 22, there were 65,000 breakthrough cases (or people who are vaccinated but got COVID-19) among the 160 million people who are fully vaccinated. That's 0.04% of vaccinated people reporting breakthrough cases. No vaccine is 100% effective. With the COVID-19 vaccines averaging about 90% efficacy, health experts expect about 10% of those vaccinated could be infected

12 minutes ago, Awesumtenor said:

I have a co-worker who had COVID last January; after he recovered he was vaccinated in March and on Friday he found out that he had contracted the Delta variant…

Oh man delta is bad news.  Hopefully with the prior infection and vaccination it’s just a mild case. That’s crazy 

14 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Im more curious whether he has COVID first.  You go into the Reserve/COVID list if you've been in contact with someone who has tested positive.  Doesnt mean he has COVID just that he has to test a couple of times and be cleared