3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

There’s probably 2 angles on this. JD and the Jets are probably willing to give up some offsets but want to pay less cash or pay more cash and keep the offsets.

The debate working against the Jets is that they paid out all of Sam Darnold’s contract as a bonus immediately, that’s bad precedent. Working for the Jets is the fact that Trevor Lawrence did not get his entire contract as a bonus so it’s not entirely paid out as cash. I believe Quinnen also got like 90% of his contract as cash early on so he didn’t have to pay NJ taxes on it. 

And in the end, how much will the Johnson's save?  They're billionaires, right?  Why would they care about a million here or a million there?  Well, apparently they do care or they'd get it done.

As I said yesterday, if they're worried about precedent, just let agents know that you'll give the player the language they want if it's a QB drafted in the first round.  Nobody else gets that treatment.  Draw a line in the sand when it's a lineman, DB or linebacker...not with the QB.  Get the QB done.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Twitter, FB and the forums trashing JD for not giving Zach his money but let's be real.  This isn't Joe D.  It's not his money.  He gains not one single thing by having Zach wait longer for some of hi

Joe Douglas has done more wrong than right since he got here, so botching the most important contract of his career is no surprise. SAR I

Guys with your conspiracy theories....collecting interest on his money? is this real? These guys are billionares Its JD being JD....its well known he likes to play hard, ask Robby

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This is assumption on your part.  You believe that the guy who has not one thing to gain by holding this up is the guy who has decided to hold it up.  Makes sense.

He’s the GM!!! It’s not an assumption 

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

I think this hurts the BYU kid more than JD.

JD can hit on other deals and players.  And he's already had a decent career.

If Zach sucks this season, in part due to not practicing...  that'll start his only career off badly.  And in NY we all know how things can snowball from there.

Zach needs to stop being a little tw#t, and get the #### to camp.

Sadly we live in an era where very few players do any thinking.  The agent tells him to fly to cali to hang out with his girl and he'll call him when the deal is done and Zach does it.  I wish that wasn't the way it is...but that's the way it is.

Just now, kevinc855 said:

He’s the GM!!! It’s not an assumption 

Oh, so you think the guys who own the team don't get a vote?  Cool.

43 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Well that’s convenient. Do we bash the owners for the sh*tty contracts our last genius GM gave then? 

No because those were football decisions. I’m sure Chris Johnson didn’t tell Mac to sign Truman Johnson, they relied on his judgement.

no its not on JD. its on Zach. and Zach looks like a D _ _ k right now.

dont walk in here like who you think you are to ask for something no other Jet rookie got. take your standard rookie contract and get in here and prove to us who you are cause right now your a rookie nobody. 

and then if your as good as we hope i will be 100% behind you to get anything you want in your next contract.

until then your a nobody. dont come in here trying to shake us down. 

dont get me wrong. i like Zach as our QB. but he gets no savior status from me. i am done with that crap. prove it on the field, or i kick his ass out in 3 years like i did Sam Darnold.

and yes it is on Zach and not his agent. who works for who? Zach should call his agent and say...

hey agent, we played chicken with JD and we lost. just sign the deal and get me in camp. 

yes this is on Zach

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

And in the end, how much will the Johnson's save?  They're billionaires, right?  Why would they care about a million here or a million there?  Well, apparently they do care or they'd get it done.

As I said yesterday, if they're worried about precedent, just let agents know that you'll give the player the language they want if it's a QB drafted in the first round.  Nobody else gets that treatment.  Draw a line in the sand when it's a lineman, DB or linebacker...not with the QB.  Get the QB done.

Good thing they didn’t listen to you.  Deal done without giving in

15 minutes ago, undertow said:

Some of you should just get Douglas printed on the back of your Jets jersey.

We probably  sh I understand he has done more for the Jets than any player in the last 20 years  at least

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, DetroitRed said:

They did give in.  Woody didn't want to pay him his bonus in 15 days.  This was always about the money.  Woody was bent over and got the alein probe.  

11 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Fire the entire coaching staff and JD.  Then, cut Zack and let him make a deal with another team.  Finally, re-sign Tanny, Rex and trade for Geno.  Fixed.

And get Adam Gase back to run the offense. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Ummm...they agreed to give him the money within 15 days which is what they were trying to avoid.

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

They did give in.  Woody didn't want to pay him his bonus in 15 days.  This was always about the money.  Woody was bent over and got the alein probe.  

All of the top picks get the money within weeks.  I’d like to see examples of this not happening 

• Upvote 1
Just now, DetroitRed said:

Offset language 

Yes.  The Jets won on the most meaningless part of the negotiation.  Awesome.

If true about Woody not wanting to give bonus in 15 days that kinda absolves JD of the narrative that he is cheap. I am hoping that he told Woody give Zach his money ( which he is  going to get anyway) and then we get offset language and deal is done. If this is the scenario that occurred we truly finally have found a competent GM and I am even more optimistic about the JETS going forward 

21 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Okay except you can’t just tell an agent “don’t use the contract language we added to other contracts to negotiate with us.” 

It’s not a question of saving so much as it is good business vs bad business. The team undoubtedly has less cash on hand than in years prior, they lost revenue last year. I’m sure they can float the cash payments but trying to avoid heavy cash payments every year makes sense. They have a reason to stand their ground (Lawrence did not get all of his payments in immediate cash) and they have precedent indicating they will cave on the matter (Quinnen and Darnold deals). There isn’t cheapness going nor is there a lack of willingness to spend, this is just a way to prevent bad contracts going forward, which is in the interest of both JD and the Johnsons.

38 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It has now been reported by multiple outlets that it's about offsets (which is idiotic) as well as the Jets wanting Wilson to defer his bonus money.  Several teams pay out their top picks within 30 days of signing.  The Jets want Zach to take part of it now and part of it next year.  It's literally his money.  Imagine  you doing a job where you earn 10K and your boss says he'd like you to take 5K today and 5K 8 months down the road so that he can hang on to your cash for you.

And like with Darnold, when Wilson agrees to accept the off sets, which is idiotic on Wilson's part for not accecpting if he has ANY confidence in himself, he will get his money up front.

Your annalogy of waiting 8 months for a pay check is silly.  It isn't his money until he signs.  That is what the contract is for.  LOL

In the company I own I do a good bit of Federal work, not uncommon at all to wait 6, 8 months for checks .  

BTW, if you have any links from an author, with any credibilty, that says it is not the off sets but all about the upfront money, please post them. 

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

Well that’s convenient. Do we bash the owners for the sh*tty contracts our last genius GM gave then? 

Well, they did hire him, and then let him have one more FA and draft period knowing they were going to fire him. So there's that. If the Johnsons were telling JD to try to hold onto the money, yes, it would be their fault and it isn't convenient.    

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Twitter, FB and the forums trashing JD for not giving Zach his money but let's be real.  This isn't Joe D.  It's not his money.  He gains not one single thing by having Zach wait longer for some of his cash.  The only people who benefit from holding money back would be the Johnsons.

Listening to Chris Simms podcast and he just nailed it.  Said that to claim Joe D is insisting on holding money back makes no sense and he's not buying it.  He shouldn't be and neither should you.

As the old saying goes, "follow the money".  Johnson's can collect a year's worth of interest on $15-20 million if Zach agrees to let them hold his money for them.

Imagine believing the GM is like "Well, I know we took you second overall and don't have a QB, but I'd rather you stay at home so Woody and Chris can make a few extra bucks".  If Joe D had the power to do so he'd give Zach the money yesterday.

I'm convinced that JD has little penis syndrome.

He gets his rocks off by being tough in negotiations. I mean, I get it - Its nice not to be a pushover. But there is a middle ground that he may be missing.

Either way, kids in camp now. 

52 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It has now been reported by multiple outlets that it's about offsets (which is idiotic) as well as the Jets wanting Wilson to defer his bonus money.  Several teams pay out their top picks within 30 days of signing.  The Jets want Zach to take part of it now and part of it next year.  It's literally his money.  Imagine  you doing a job where you earn 10K and your boss says he'd like you to take 5K today and 5K 8 months down the road so that he can hang on to your cash for you.

Wilson has signed.

Like "multiple outlets" have said, Jets got their ofsets, Wilson got his money in 15 days :) 

17 minutes ago, flgreen said:

And like with Darnold, when Wilson agrees to accept the off sets, which is idiotic on Wilson's part for not accecpting if he has ANY confidence in himself, he will get his money up front.

Your annalogy of waiting 8 months for a pay check is silly.  It isn't his money until he signs.  That is what the contract is for.  LOL

In the company I own I do a good bit of Federal work, not uncommon at all to wait 6, 8 months for checks .  

BTW, if you have any links from an author, with any credibilty, that says it is not the off sets but all about the upfront money, please post them. 

Salaries are slotted now.  He knows how much he's getting before he signs.  It's his money that the team can request he receive on a schedule they prefer.  He can tell them to give him his money within 15 days or kick rocks.  Glad the Jets made the right choice.

Just now, flgreen said:

Wilson has signed.

Like "multiple outlets" have said, Jets got their ofsets, Wilson got his money in 15 days :) 

Correct.  The Jets won the meaningless part of the negotiation and caved to Wilson's demand of handing over his full bonus in 15 days  and not broken up over several months.

• Haha 1
Just now, AFJF said:

Salaries are slotted now.  He knows how much he's getting before he signs.  It's his money that the team can request he receive on a schedule they prefer.  He can tell them to give him his money within 15 days or kick rocks.  Glad the Jets made the right choice.

LOL

They did make the right choice.  They got their off sets.  Not the silly scenario that "Woody is trying to cheat the kid out of money"  All Wilson ever had to do to get his money, was accept the off sets, he did.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Correct.  The Jets won the meaningless part of the negotiation and caved to Wilson's demand of handing over his full bonus in 15 days  and not broken up over several months.

They haven't caved on anything.  They have set precedents in the past (see Darnold contract) that if a player accepts the off sets, he'll be paid in 15 days.

If it fits your agenda to say Wilson defeated the "Evil Man"  go for it.  LOL

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

As fans, this is a win-win.  The player will be in camp without missing more than a practice or two.  The team gets offset language which I think can be give-backs against the cap.  The part where he gets the money early is just Johnson's money and who gives a **** about that? 

• Upvote 2

My strong sense is the Jets were not planning on deferring money. They did not want the offsets, and when Wilson's agent was playing hardball with them on offsets, especially after he had no problem with offsets when he negotiated Burrow's contract, Douglas used deferred payments as the bargaining chip he would use to keep the offsets. The Jets don't get hosed by the agent, both sides get to save face, and the team didn't give anything away they weren't going to pay, anyway.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, flgreen said:

They haven't caved on anything.  They have set precedents in the past (see Darnold contract) that if a player accepts the off sets, he'll be paid in 15 days.

If it fits your agenda to say Wilson defeated the "Evil Man"  go for it.  LOL

How insane would the Jets have to be to allow a holdout of any length to occur over a highly unlikely hypothetical loss of $2-3 million dollars four years from now?

They wanted to keep Wilson's money for an extra year and they didn't get to. 

Glad the kid won.