mims running with the third string

kmnj

44 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Not only that but camp is 3 days old, it’s called rotation to evaluate players at every level… 

As usual, the knee jerk over reactions ensue…

Agreed. He’ll probably run with the 2s today. That’s what happens in camp especially this early.  How about seeing a few more practices and a pre season game before thinking the depth chart is set in stone?  

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

wow, that's a bold statement based off of absolutely nothing.  

https://vendettasportsmedia.com/something-missing-with-denzel-mims/

When I watched Mims’ tape, I also felt “something was off. “ I mentioned this in other threads.  I thought Mims’ comments about Philly were odd.  Many receiver needy teams passed on him.

I labeled him a headcase since I can’t quite pinpoint what is wrong and it certainly isn’t athletic ability.  But working with the 3rd team is an indicator that there is a problem with him.

Upset to hear about Mims. I was so fired up when he was drafted, a guy a really wanted. Hopefully he can focus and improve his craft and this is just a wake up call for him.

I’m pretty sure most fans wanted him too so we can’t even second guess JD. Drafting is difficult and just when you think you have a guy pegged, you don’t…

9 hours ago, OCCH23 said:

You don't think Moore being available played a role in him keeping the pick?

Lol, uh, yeah, that’s exactly what I’m saying. He got cute with the trade down last year and wasn’t going to make the same mistake this year. 

4 hours ago, ZacharyWilson said:

Stephen Hill ran like a baby deer on a skating pond. Denzel Mims is nowhere near that. Mims is also much stronger than Hill was. His college resume was also four times greater than Hill's (who caught 49 college passes total in his college career) was. Hill never moved like this:

(4) Denzel Mims All Senior Bowl 1-on-1 Reps - YouTube

Don’t care what he did before the Pros, it what he does in the NFL. It’s year 2 and he’s running with the 2&3’s. 

It’s still early but he’s not showing anything yet on camp, it’s not a good sign. Fortunately we drafted Moore.

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Don’t care what he did before the Pros, it what he does in the NFL. It’s year 2 and he’s running with the 2&3’s. 

It’s still early but he’s not showing anything yet on camp, it’s not a good sign. Fortunately we drafted Moore.

Camp just started, and he’s behind 3 good veteran wrs.  Is that surprising?  

Also, mims fell to late round 2 b/c he was considered to be a raw wr who needed time to develop.  His rookie year was basically a wash between injuries, darnold and gase.  So now we’re here in year 2 and he’s starting out down on the depth chart after the Cole and davis signings.  And the kept crowder.  Looking at the whole wr picture, nothing about where mims is is surprising.  Nothing.  Now if September comes around and the word is that mims is still way behind, moore looks great and those 4 wrs are going to get all the pt, then it could be a different conversation.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, undertow said:

Things get hyperbolic on both sides...I was lectured for over a year on how that trade down was a stroke of genius and was proof we finally hired a GM who knew what he was doing...there's plenty of stupid to go around. 

Yeah....There IS plenty of stupid going around alright.

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Camp just started, and he’s behind 3 good veteran wrs.  Is that surprising?  

Also, mims fell to late round 2 b/c he was considered to be a raw wr who needed time to develop.  His rookie year was basically a wash between injuries, darnold and gase.  So now we’re here in year 2 and he’s starting out down on the depth chart after the Cole and davis signings.  And the kept crowder.  Looking at the whole wr picture, nothing about where mims is is surprising.  Nothing.  Now if September comes around and the word is that mims is still way behind, moore looks great and those 4 wrs are going to get all the pt, then it could be a different conversation.

Well for me there’s been to much love for a guy that’s shown nothing, and done nothing. Wake me up when he does.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Well for me there’s been to much love for a guy that’s shown nothing, and done nothing. Wake me up when he does.

Can we all give the kid a chance. Remember a lot of JN members looking to run Quinnen out of town after his first year and now  he is blossoming into perhaps a perennial All- Pro. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Lol, uh, yeah, that’s exactly what I’m saying. He got cute with the trade down last year and wasn’t going to make the same mistake this year. 

Or last year he didn't have as much reason to hold on to the pick.

Maybe he "learned his lesson" or maybe it's apples to oranges . . .

• Upvote 1

Sort of odd because I thought Mims looked really good in the time he played last year.

My only concern about him was hoping he wouldn’t be injured again. Maybe he just doesn’t fit the system at all.

But 3 string…for a Jets wideout lol that’s rough. He was picked high so if he flames out that’s another throw away pick for JD 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

https://vendettasportsmedia.com/something-missing-with-denzel-mims/

When I watched Mims’ tape, I also felt “something was off. “ I mentioned this in other threads.  I thought Mims’ comments about Philly were odd.  Many receiver needy teams passed on him.

I labeled him a headcase since I can’t quite pinpoint what is wrong and it certainly isn’t athletic ability.  But working with the 3rd team is an indicator that there is a problem with him.

Headcase just implies something that can often be sensitive and dont think anything you've provided really warrants that label.  He's behind 3 veteran WR's who all have proved themselves in this league on day 3 of camp.  This isnt abnormal or concerning, yet.  Could it be, sure.  If this were the end of Aug and not July maybe this would be concerning?  Right now?  I just think people are looking way too much into this. at this point.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Headcase just implies something that can often be sensitive and dont think anything you've provided really warrants that label.  He's behind 3 veteran WR's who all have proved themselves in this league on day 3 of camp.  This isnt abnormal or concerning, yet.  Could it be, sure.  If this were the end of Aug and not July maybe this would be concerning?  Right now?  I just think people are looking way too much into this. at this point.

Mims is a 2nd round pick of the New York Jets.  In his defense, he was screwed as soon as his name was announced at the podium.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Mims is probably 5th on the wr depth chart.  Moore is clearly ahead of him.  As long as they develop him, its fine.  He does not need to be a stud they rely on day 1 this season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Saleh was pretty positive about Mims in the press conference. Seems like they are not really thinking of 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings yet just trying to balance reps

Tend to agree with balancing rep’s. See the Jets having 3 position battles with no defined 1, 2, or 3 rated so called stringers. That’s WR, RB and CB. Rep’s more meaningful than ranking at this time.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

If Mims is our 5th rated receiver, we are in good shape.

Exactly. I just don’t think, for good reason, we realize that our wide receiving core has depth. He’s got guys to beat out, I think he eventually will but no one here can be use to that. Last few years we have ok couple receivers then street free agents and lacrosse players. It’s a brave new world. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Mims is a head case.  He will be permanently out of the league by the end of the 2023 season.

I’ll bet you a $1,000 with everyone here as witness - that doesn’t happen.

But seriously. That’s getting way to heavy handed. Let’s give him this year with real coaches to see what the story is with his forecast. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Moore was just drafted for the mims truthers and he is ahead of mims and that is a fact - mims will either step up to the challenge or sink like a stone - u are what your numbers say you are but thankfully the play on the field speaks the truth - I hope all of the jets wr excel including mims but this is a make or break year for mims and the excuses only go so far

I read somewhere once that on his first day of professional practice Lawrence Taylor suited up with the 3's.  One his 2nd day with the 2's and on his third day with the 1's.

Mims therefore must be a HOF lock amiirite?

On a more serious note, for every Quinnen Williams who gets a slow start but who later on  comes on strong there are a dozen Vernon Gholston's for whom the initial reports end up being 100% correct.  At least we have a GM/Coach combo who could give two hoots about trying to make the GM look good in the press.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

But seriously. That’s getting way to heavy handed. Let’s give him this with real coaches to see what the story is with his forecast. 

I’m tired of debating Mims with you.  I saw tape from a guy that was, in my opinion, lazy at times.  Even worse, he can’t separate.

I don’t bet on sports, aside from one mid-stakes fantasy football league.  I am exclusively a live cash game poker player.  Mims is like holding J7s.  Looks like a playable hand…  it might even make a straight or a flush.  But it will often get beat by a bigger straight on a board with 89T… and sometimes will run into a bigger flush.   The amount you win with that hand, overall, will often be noticeably less than when you lose.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Mims problem is, he has never been a sharp route runner.  That is important in this system, and probably the reason he is where he appears to be on the depth chart.

He did make two good  plays today.  They were both the same kind of play.  Wilson was under pressure, and threw accurate, contested balls to Mims on the move.  Mims made the catches for 1st downs.

IMO, that is going to be his role on the Jets.  Wilson likes to throw those contested balls, and Mims is good at catching them.  Mims probably won't be a starter, but I think he's going to make some BIG plays at the right time.

Reasonable place to start considering the talent and experience ahead of him. Now Moore? Oh boy, we hit it on that one, yes sir! 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, genot said:

There are players that play faster than thier timed speed. Mims is just the opposite He plays so much slower than his 40 time

Based on yore watching a COVID season where he was injured most of the year playing with the worst QB in the league and the worst HC in the history of the league.  Great

• Sympathy 1

As was said, Wilson loves throwing contested balls.  Wilson and Mims skill sets seem to match well. 

I have also noticed a pattern that Mims should have as well... Wilson spends time with a WR, they develope timing and chemistry, then they start connecting. 

Mims should be the next guy to ask Wilson for an extra session. You've got to be on the same page for those contested routes to work.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Based on yore watching a COVID season where he was injured most of the year playing with the worst QB in the league and the worst HC in the history of the league.  Great

No. Based on his tape at Baylor and watching other receivers timed at 4.3 in the 40. If he's running with the 3rd team. Somethings wrong. 

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

But seriously. That’s getting way to heavy handed. Let’s give him this with real coaches to see what the story is with his forecast. 

Not trying to interfere here Paradis. You watch the tape. I don't see,(yet) any explosion or acceleration in his game. That along with, rather spaghetti legs, concerns me.