Up and Down day for Zach Wilson at Jets Camp as Defense Dominates

Zach-Wilson.jpg

Jets rookie quarterback Zach Wilson made his much anticipated debut at Jets camp today and after starting things off with a bang (a 40 yard completion to Elijah Moore), things calmed down quite a bit for the youngster.

Every day is a chance to make a play. pic.twitter.com/iQ7ecxD6Cs

— New York Jets (@nyjets) July 30, 2021

Wilson would get picked off not long after his bomb to Moore when Marcus Maye cut in front of wide receiver Jamison Crowder for the INT.  Carl Lawson also made plenty of noise for the second day in a row, beating Mekhi Becton for at least one “sack” after picking up a few yesterday.  Lawson and Becton should be fun to watch when the pads come on.

As far as Wilson goes, Head Coach Robert Saleh stated the obvious when he said the the job is Wilson’s to lose and didn’t sound concerned over the rookies struggles on his first day of camp.

Also of note today was second-year receiver Denzel Mims working with the third group of receivers.  As early as it may be, it’s not a great sign to see a second-year player who was taken in round 2 of the draft running with a few roster long-shots.

The post Up and Down day for Zach Wilson at Jets Camp as Defense Dominates appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/ed-sh8tTdVo

Click here to read the full story...

Wilson took some time to get the BYU offense down pat - like 2 years - I hope it doesn't take him that long at the NFL level  but he should know what he has to do in order to achieve that high level of play since he's done it once before so it shouldn't take that long. 

• Confused 1
53 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Wilson took some time to get the BYU offense down pat - like 2 years - I hope it doesn't take him that long at the NFL level  but he should know what he has to do in order to achieve that high level of play since he's done it once before so it shouldn't take that long. 

Freshman season bowl game.  

He will be a rookie but I expect him to grow all year.  

• Upvote 4

This is typical, especially with a rookie QB. Defense almost always looks better in camp than the offense as it tales longer for the O-line to gel, the QB to get in sync with his receivers and in this case, the rookie QB to acclimate himself to the playbook in real time- i.e. against opposition in pads. 

Unless Zach struggles throughout camp and then starts to looks like trash in preseason, I have zero concerns. This is pretty common for a rookie QB. 

Agree the defense is usually ahead of the offense this time of year. But Jets defense is being underestimated around the league. It's the best in the AFC East and is going to give Zack a nice cushion for his rookie season.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

I expect more headlines like this for awhile, give him a few weeks. 

Agreed, he needs time to adjust to speed of the game. Real training camp with dudes hitting is when you really get exposed to it.

I mean the guy just got off a red eye the night before, did we really expect him to go out there and light up the defense?

• Upvote 1